PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Primal Companion and Handle Animal

SovelsAtaask
2016-07-28, 01:07 AM
Hey there. Simple question, looking for the RAW answer since I'll be playing this character in PFS. Does a Lunar oracle with the Primal Companion revelation get a +4 on Handle Animal checks with their companion, like a druid or ranger would with theirs? The Handle Animal skill description mentions druids and rangers getting a bonus to checks, but doesn't say anything about animal companions from other sources. Or maybe I'm just blind and missed it hidden somewhere. Would my Lunar oracle miss out on that +4? What about paladins with mounts, cavaliers, hunters, sylvan sorcerers, or any other class that gives animal companions? If so, a 1 level dip in druid would fix this and open up all animal companions as valid options, right? I mean, it's not exactly an optimal choice but getting access to pretty much any beasty I want softens the blow a tiny bit.

If Lunar oracles and all these other classes that get animal companions or mounts don't get this bonus, that seems a bit weird to me. Especially cavaliers and hunters.

EDIT: Actually, I just found the answer and I feel pretty dumb. It's right there in the Animal Companion rules, the Link ability is what gives them the +4. Now, unless by some weird twisting of the rules only druids can take advantage of the special qualities animal companions get, and I don't think that's the case, anyone with an animal companion gets that +4. Oddly, the Handle Animal rules specify druids and rangers, when a Core Rulebook paladin can have a mount, which uses the animal companion progression chart and gets Link. That's why I was confused, my eyes glazed over Link but I noticed the line in the skill description.

I still don't know if a dip would give me access to all animals on the druid list, though.

grarrrg
2016-07-28, 02:51 AM
Hey there. Simple question, looking for the RAW answer since I'll be playing this character in PFS. Does a Lunar oracle with the Primal Companion revelation get a +4 on Handle Animal checks with their companion,...What about paladins with mounts, cavaliers, hunters, sylvan sorcerers

The key part is
"Primal Companion (Ex): You gain ...using your oracle level as your effective druid level."
Same goes for pretty much every other class that gets an Animal Companion, they all have an 'effective' Druid level. So as far as your Companion is concerned, you are a Druid.

I still don't know if a dip would give me access to all animals on the druid list, though.

Eh.
This FAQ is (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fn#v5748eaic9qqn) the closest official answer that I'm aware of. It's concerned with Mounts+Companion, but the gist is:
*Is it on both lists? > they stack.
*Is it only on one list? You get 2, but levels are separate."