PDA

View Full Version : Ante Bellum: The Calm before the Firestorm (IC)

ChaosArchon
2016-07-28, 11:21 AM
Chapter 1: the Nelan Precipice

You can feel it in the air as the hordes of city planners and decorators overflow in the forum as they prepare the fireworks, masks, and banners. Soon the Calibration will begin, and with it the Calibration Festival. Even here, so far from the rest of Creation, its people celebrate on the five days when the sun hides its face from the world and demons pour forth from Malfeas. While this is hardly the Nelan capitol, the celebrations in the forum certainly promise to be extravagant.

As you look around, you see the twelve massive pillars which encircle the forum, each decorated with the banner of one of the twelve clans although of course the Nelan banner displayed most prominently. Near the north end of the forum is a large platform, usually for public announcements or oratories, but for this occasion it is armed with a massive cannon with which to fire particularly spectacular fireworks during the opening day. The cannon is decorated ornately, with the face of a dragon forming the end of the cannon, the fangs lightly gilt with some variety of jade. Naturally, it is guarded by two guards to discourage any enterprising individuals from a small payday.

Meanwhile the stalls have already been set up, their permits paid months in advance for this occasion. A stupefying variety of goods are on sale; from everything to caramelized pork whose scent stalks the entire forum, to a small stall selling pugs who bark happily at passer-bys.

You may not have been in Navis for long, or perhaps you have, but one thing is certain; that this shall be a Calibration to remember.

Kell_tamer
2016-07-28, 11:42 AM
Tyka is dressed in finery, and someone else's face. A merchant woman from a bit ago. She never did make it up here. Didn't matter. The face was useful... Among other assets she lacked in her real form. Calibration was bound to be an interesting time for the lunar.

She had a stall set up with various fruits and such she had gathered just this morning from her venture to the forest. But making money wasn't the important thing. It was contacts. (Ok maybe she would pick up a pug.... with the earnings. GOD they were cute. )

Tyka is in a form of a woman with clearly expensive multicolored clothes. She is in her 20s, red hair and pale skin. Blue eyes scan from person to person. She looks as though she is trying to find a mark.

Beans
2016-07-28, 12:34 PM
[Nela • Navis • Marketplace]

Crowds part, even just a little, for her. She looks no more than 17, but rumors whisper around this young woman like a cloud of moths. Her Seatongue is tinged with an accent people are damned sure is Skullstone-born, and she certainly has the paleness of one born in a shadowland, even above her already-fair at-least-partly Northern looks. Some think she's one of the Silver Prince's Death-Chosen, but that's not a wide-ranged rumor. Most assert that she worked for one of the Deathknights of Skullstone as an accounting-slave with a talent for sniffing out embezzlers.
That rumor---and, more solidly, her glowing resume---is what got the severe-looking girl her job at one of Navis's better accounting firms. That was a month ago; by now, she's uprooted a small-time embezzler.
People wonder why she carries that long sword on her back, but the black cloth over-wrap on the handle at least partly supports her claim that it is a purely ceremonial item, a gift from her old employer as a symbol of her ability to cut out corruption. It doesn't stop it from adding to her already mildly-unnerving reputation, though. People tend to do their ledgers just a bit more studiously when she's around.

At the moment, the silver-haired girl is walking through the marketplace, silver eyes brushing over the various stalls. Some of them have business relations with her employers, and it's good to keep an eye on them.

Sith_Happens
2016-07-28, 08:52 PM
Calibration was already one of Ascending Lotus Blossom's favorite times of year, and her first Calibration as a free woman is already looking to be her best one yet; she had long since been paid multiple small fortunes by several different patrons to provide almost every conceivable form of entertainment near-continuously from nightfall to sunrise. Most notably, she is to give the headline performance at the opening ceremonies, and as such spends the time leading up to them in a private area nearby rehearsing. At the current moment all seems to be going perfectly; her backup dancers (a quartet of pretty young slave girls lent to her by the Nela) are on point and the musical accompaniment couldn't be better. Taking a momentary break, Lotus Blossom steps outside to where her bodyguards are standing watch.

"Could two of you please go tell the men guarding the cannon that it needs to be moved towards the back of the stage to make room for us? And help them move it if required."

Phasm
2016-07-28, 10:55 PM
"Ohhh, what do you do with a drunken sailor, what do you do with a drunken sailor, what do you do with a drunken sailor, ear-lie in the morrrrning?" A tall, muscular woman with short midnight blue hair strides through the fair with a tankard of dark ale in her hand, a warhammer on her belt, and a smile on her face. In some ways she's fairly typical of a sellsword; strong and well-built, ordinary weapon, ordinary black buff coat. But her complexion is several shades paler than that of most Westerners, her accent all but unknown, and she moves with almost inhuman grace when she gets distracted from her efforts to look ordinary.

A head of silver- not white- hair catches Ivory Shield's eye. Unusual for this part of the world, and the pale skin is even more unusual. Another Skullstoner, here of all places? I wonder if she ran afoul of the Silver Prince as well? Ivory makes her way through the crowd toward the woman, curiosity piqued.

"Hello there, stranger!" She gives the silver-haired woman a wide smile. "Are you from Skullstone, by chance? Not often I see someone as pale as myself this far south."

OracleofSilence
2016-07-29, 03:08 AM
Whisper hated Calibration. Most of it was superstition. Old stories about enterprising thieves dragged screaming into hell, curses that lasted through generations based of the passionate but ill considered words of a cheated dupe, and the general misfortune that the priests said clouded Creation during the five day period. Whisper had never encountered any of that himself, but the fact remained, enough thieves believed it to make his life more irritating then it really should be; at least if he tried to stay involved in the business for the half-week of festivities.

So forget it. Opportunities may arise, but for now, Whisper was enjoying the crowd as a festival goer, not a professional. And the young man looked the part certainly. Poofy Southern pants, suitable for acrobatics, artistic lounging, and concealing various weapons? Check. A few really excellent fake rings? Check. Sleeveless tunic, tastelessly inspired by Lintha designs? The crowning piece of the ensemble. There was something to be said for tasteless gaudiness. It deflected attention like nothing else, and the slight gasps from the more high class members of the crowd did an excellent job of singling out marks. Besides, the baggy robes tradition dictated were to be worn at festivals really hard to hide the occasional "extra" coin pouch in.

...Oh gods. Are those dogs? Those are dogs. What did the Raksha do to their faces? Is this some sort of religious charity? Nela. What could you say? The festivals were always something.

Beans
2016-07-29, 07:24 AM
"Ohhh, what do you do with a drunken sailor, what do you do with a drunken sailor, what do you do with a drunken sailor, ear-lie in the morrrrning?" A tall, muscular woman with short midnight blue hair strides through the fair with a tankard of dark ale in her hand, a warhammer on her belt, and a smile on her face. In some ways she's fairly typical of a sellsword; strong and well-built, ordinary weapon, ordinary black buff coat. But her complexion is several shades paler than that of most Westerners, her accent all but unknown, and she moves with almost inhuman grace when she gets distracted from her efforts to look ordinary.

A head of silver- not white- hair catches Ivory Shield's eye. Unusual for this part of the world, and the pale skin is even more unusual. Another Skullstoner, here of all places? I wonder if she ran afoul of the Silver Prince as well? Ivory makes her way through the crowd toward the woman, curiosity piqued.

"Hello there, stranger!" She gives the silver-haired woman a wide smile. "Are you from Skullstone, by chance? Not often I see someone as pale as myself this far south."

Vesa turns, hearing the voice, and sees a strong-looking woman, her pale and fine features familiar as those of a Skullstone Westerner. Not amazingly beautiful, though Vesa's personal... appreciation for ladies of well-toned physique had several things to say about this person.

Looking at the other woman, she nods. "I am indeed, though my pallor is also due to my heritage---I know at least one of my parents was from the cold lands of the North." Silver eyes flick up and down the tough woman, at least partly to guess where she's from, what she did. Sellsword and sailor, probably. "What brings you here?"

Kell_tamer
2016-07-29, 09:16 AM
Tyka makes her way from her stall carrying two small parcels of fruit. She approaches the two pale women talking. "Oh no no no dearies... no... you aren't getting enough nutrition.... you both look like ghosts...." She offers the small baskets, they have very fresh fruits. "They already say the forests are haunted by spirits. Lets not make the cities be that too...." She grins. "Speaking of.... " She looks to Vesa. "Did you see anything my dear? When we spoke last I had this inkling you would be curious about that forest. "

Phasm
2016-07-30, 12:56 AM
"Ah well, I managed to anger a powerful ghost. Purely by accident, of course. So I decided to seek my fortunes in more southerly seas." Ivory offers the other woman a hand. "I'm Ivory Shield, call me Ivory. What brings you to Ordu Solis?"

Their conversation is interrupted by an eager fruit seller. Ivory shakes her head at the fruit seller's offer. "No thanks, I'm good for now." The fruit looks good- a sailor quickly learns to value fresh produce, given that it doesn't last long aboard ship- but Ivory is a little annoyed at the interruption.

Kell_tamer
2016-07-30, 10:33 AM
Tyka ignores the dismissal. "Pish posh. On the house. My fruit will make you sturdy as can be. She gestures to a bundle of the berries.

"See these? Notice their slight hint of green to them. That's because the soil they grow in is saturated with very very trace amounts of Green Jade.... it strengthens anything that grows in it and subsequently anything that eats it becomes hardy. ... Not that you don't look sturdy mam. Just your pallor. But please on the house. Try them, they are delicious." She backs away a bit and smiles with a big wide smile. It's almost.... almost animalistic.

Introducing a fact through lore. Intelligence 4, Lore 3, and 4 motes personal on the excellency. Been told its difficulty 3. Assuming single point stunt.

so 13 dice
[roll0]

Beans
2016-07-30, 12:59 PM
Vesa bows very slightly. "I am Vesa, and it is good to meet you. I came here at the bidding of my once-master after he freed me; he suggested I would find interesting things in this place."

And then the fruit-stall woman. Oh, she's nice, but in a... just a bit of a pushy way. She seems keen on getting Vesa to check out the forest, and given the strange dreams she's had, Vesa wonders if she might not just do that tonight. "As I have previously explained, my pallor is nothing unhealthy---it is merely the result of living in a death-touched land. She and I are perfectly healthy, though your offer is generous."

ChaosArchon
2016-08-03, 06:06 PM
As people wander around the forum, loudly chatting, one conversation can be heard above all else. Two men are shouting at eachother, one dressed nicely yet plainly in a white gi; and the other dressed in a smooth white robe as well, its hems lined with blue and the white comprising the robe to be as white as snow compared to the former man.

The plain man was clearly enraged, his face more red than tan and his hair lose and unkempt. "How dare you! I...I..."

The well dressed man interrupts calmly, "I honestly don't see what the problem is here, I clearly had the right to..."

"The right?! That's it, I challenge you to a juris..."

"NO!" a third party shouts and a large man hastily puts a hand over the plain young man and stammers,"I'm sorry my lord, the boy didn't mean it. I'm sure your lordship was perfectly correct in his judgement. My son is too young to recognize i..."

As he says this the man's son glares and breaks away, and the father bows before the finely dressed man before following after his son. For a moment the fine man looks distressed but quickly his distress fades and he returns to enjoying the pre-festival delights.

Meanwhile at the entrance of the forum, a small crowd is gathering and hurling insults at its opposite. One one side stands a group dressed in pirestly robes, each wearing a necklace with a smooth grey stone affixed to it; while the other group is a collection of people in tunics and rather worn down pants.

Phasm
2016-08-05, 12:25 AM
A commotion by the gate cuts Ivory off before she can reply to the fruit-seller. "Ooh, that looks like it could get ugly. Excuse me, ladies." The mercenary strides over to the priests and the obviously poorer people. Her voice is well trained from years of bellowing orders over the howl of wind and crash of waves; she puts this skill to good use, adding a trickle of Essence for good measure. "What's going on here?! For shame, interrupting a festival this way!" Ivory points to a random priest and a random raggedy person. "You and you, explain this disgrace."

Since she's addressing a crowd, I hope using Performance is okay. Adding on Respect-Commanding Attitude for 5m Personal. My guess is that the above post is a one point stunt.

Cha 4 + Performance 3 + Stunt 2 = [roll0]

OracleofSilence
2016-08-06, 10:10 PM
Despite the commotion in the festival square it was easy enough to see the confrontation thwarted, or perhaps delayed from anywhere in the square. The opportunity was apparent as well, although Whisper was frankly uncertain as to what precisely it would be. All that remained was the choice. One the surface, the young hot head was appealing. Emotion was an easy thing to use and abuse after all, but in the end, that approach was inconsistent and prone to explosive failure. The more composed finely dressed man would pose... environmental challenges, but regardless of what lay beneath the surface, he offered a better chance at consistency.

"Sir you seem troubled! And on a festival day? Unforgivable. What causes your brow to wrinkle, your mind to darken? Justice must be done in such cases, especially during Calibration." Whispers's voice was deeper then normal, rhotic consonants emphasized, drama and forceful presence lurking behind every word. A stereotype yes, but a useful one. The better type of problem, the well dressed and always smiling equivalent of his normal line of work. No mere thief and con, but a criminal so well known and loved by society that he was practically accepted. A guise, and now, in a festival square, a useful one. Most people would be polite to that voice, even in doubt. And if they weren't that just offered more information about them.

No social rolls just yet, and I am assuming Whisper won't need to roll larceny for such a simple component of a disguise. If that's necessary, I'll roll in the OOC.

ChaosArchon
2016-08-10, 05:28 PM
Ivory Shield (and Tyka and Vesa given they're fairly close)

The twin sides of the small rioting masses respectfully listen to the mercenary before both exploding in noise trying to explain their side over the other. However the priestly man quickly quiets down as he seems to reflect on your words, meanwhile the angry man in rags' words are heard much more clearly now that he isn't competing with a second voice. "These traitors continue to preach their foreigner faith, and on one of our holiest festivals!" He turns to his compatriots,"This is a day for the Emperor, not for some far-off foreign Empress! The Dragonstones should sail east where they belong, and take the foreigners with them!"

Realizing who he turned his back on, he sheepishly looks at the mercenary,"Errr... no disrespect intended of course miss. No need to take out any swords or nothing."

Whisper

The lithe man reaches the finely dressed man near the edge of the forum, by a small stall selling silken kerchiefs with the sigil of the Emperor on them in various colors. "Ah," he says in a crisp, smooth voice,"just a simple misunderstanding, the boy clearly must have not known the girl was caught spreading heretical ideals. Otherwise he would have understood why she was executed. Sad tale really, it's always the ones we love that we never expect." He looks sadly down at the kerchiefs for a moment,"How rude of me, my name is Nela Javier Aquae Maximus, and your's good sir?"

Ascending Lotus Blossom

One of the bodyguards wordlessly nods and goes off to speak with whoever is in charge of the stage arrangement. As she leaves, another woman enters the private area and one you know all too well. A young woman, only a year Lotus' senior, she is dressed in a brilliant red robe hemmed with orange. Her blonde hair is prepared ornately, its curls fashioned to look like a dragon curling on top of her head. An interesting hairstyle to say the least, accentuated by her brilliant amber eyes which gleam with incalculable glee. In the year since your emancipation and intermittently in the years before, you have clashed with this woman not the least because you share similar pursuits.

"Oh Ayesha how are you my dear," says Atia in a sugary sweet-tone,"it has been too long since we last have chatted. You simply must tell me how you managed to get the opening ceremony for yourself." Her voice lowers and her eyes, well if looks could kill this one would create a Neverborn,"Of course you likely just used your carnal prowess on the director, how else would a mortal be put before a Dragon. Once a pleasure slave, always a pleasure slave." The death glare vanishes as the guard returns and her voice once again becomes sugarsweet,"Well good luck my dear, break a leg!" And with that Nela Atia Minora leaves the private area.

The guard then salutes to you before reporting,"Err, it appears... you're to sing on top of the cannon...the director said it would look spectacular. He said it was safe...well safe enough." The bodyguard then stands there awkwardly, looking as if she feels she failed in her duty.

Kell_tamer
2016-08-10, 05:45 PM
Tyka's work was done... She had planted the seed, and didn't need to be part of this altercation. While the distraction had everyone's attention, she slipped back to her shop. Pulling a small pin she collapsed the top of the stall down and let a blanket drape over everything.... Time to mask her presence.

Draping the blanket over, she coats it in essence so it looks as though the stall and fruit stand were empty to begin with. To the eyes of mortals.... nothing was there.

Moments after the illusion casts. She herself steps back into an alley and is gone. An eagle flies up from the alley and perches on a stall to watch the goings on.

spider's trap door is 4 motes peripheral and is supplemented by a free full wits excellency. Going Wits + Stealth to hide an object. So 3 dice for wits 2 for stealth 3 for excellency 2 for at least 1 point stunt. It is completely invisible to mundane senses. The difficulty for magic senses to pierce it is successes on my roll. for all intents and purposes its like the stall was never there.

[roll0]

Following that, another 4 motes peripheral to change into an eagle while hidden in the alley. No flare.

Mote pools are now 12 Personal and 30 peripheral

Sith_Happens
2016-08-10, 09:27 PM
The guard then salutes to you before reporting,"Err, it appears... you're to sing on top of the cannon...the director said it would look spectacular. He said it was safe...well safe enough." The bodyguard then stands there awkwardly, looking as if she feels she failed in her duty.

"'Sing'...?"

Ascending Lotus Blossom sighs.

"Follow me then, it seems I'll have to sort this out myself. There's no need to look like that by the way, it's hardly your fault that the director of ceremonies is a misinformed fool."

She turns to address her assistance before leaving.

"All of you are free to take a break until I return."

----------

Maneuvering through the forum, Ascending Lotus Blossom locates the director and waits until she has his attention, that naturally happening precisely at the moment he first turns around and sees her standing there. Looking him in the eyes and smiling, Lotus Blossom's expression and voice are the portrait of youthful innocence and her manner of speech is carefully tuned to convey "proper" respect to a senior artist.

"Excuse me, I am so very sorry to bother you but it seems there has been a miscommunication. I know not who informed you as to the nature of my performance, but it will in fact be a dance, and sadly one that would be quite impossible for me to perform atop a cannon. If you could please ensure that the cannon is moved toward the back of the stage, I and my benefactors will be equally grateful."

Persuading, (Manipulation + Presence + misc.):

[roll0]

(Appearance – Resolve), use the appropriate number of these from left to right: [roll1]
On the off chance this somehow counts as an inconvenient task, Lotus Blossom is currently (as described) speaking very politely to try and ping any Intimacies he might have relating to being shown respect, as well as mentioning her benefactors specifically to further Intimacy-fish.

OracleofSilence
2016-08-10, 10:17 PM
Whisper nods sympathetically. "Heretics cast shame on us all, or course." His earlier smile fades carefully, a calculated slip into sobriety tinged ever so slightly with sorrow. "You may call me Yori, though I wish the circumstances were more suited to a proper introduction." The silence lingers for a brief period before Whisper speaks again. "If I may ask, what heresy was the girl spreading? Tales from the Realm? Talk of demons? And how did the young man know her?"

Phasm
2016-08-11, 02:10 AM
Ivory locks her gaze with the rabble-rouser's, long enough to make him squirm, then nods. "You have a point. Bear in mind, however, that Creation is vast and foreigners can be as different from one another as you are from them. Never assume." She turns to the priests. "What have you to say for yourselves? If you're looking for converts, step one is not to anger people by flouting their customs."

Beans
2016-08-11, 07:35 AM
Vesa watches the other Skullstone native deal with the rabble. All looks to be in order, so she gets back to work observing the stalls.

That fruit woman is gone.

... She doesn't find herself as surprised as she should be.

ChaosArchon
2016-08-12, 03:45 PM
Ivory Shield (and Vesa too, given you're still in the general vicinity)

The ragged man looks sheepishly at Ivory Shield and relents, he hesitates for a moment but as he begins to open his mouth, one of the priestly men speaks,"Their customs?! We are no foreigners, mercenary, we are just as much Ortu Solis natives as they! The Emperor himself has recognized..."

"Only because it's too much of an effort to kick you jackbooted thugs out of your fortresses!" shouts the ragged man, once again inflamed, as is the crowd behind him. Soon the two crowds once again begin hurling insults and vehemence at each other. At the apex of the shouting, a rock is flung from the ragged crowd and strikes the head priest in the hand and he falls to the ground.

Whisper

Javier glances at the ensuing cacophonous crowd for a moment before turning back to Whisper, speaking in the same smooth voice as before albeit with a hint of concern reaching his eyes,"Such an inquisitive mind Yori. You keep this up and I may need to hire you as one of our detectives. As for the girl, she was seen spreading lies about the Argent Demons; saying such Anathema were capable of kindness and goodness." He chuckles for a moment,"Insane right? Poor girl must have been possessed by one of them, really her execution was a kindness. I wish her better luck in her next life." He then sighs,"As for the boy, well I have heard the girl was his lover. As I said, all too often it is those we love who we least suspect."

His eyes take a serious, analytic look,"Now Yori, tell me. How long have you been in Nela?"

Ascending Lotus Blossom

The director looks up from his clipboard and looks at you for a moment. He is a thin man dressed in a plain white robe, greying short hair and bespectacled, he pauses for a moment before looking at the clipboard and flipping through the attached papers. "Ah my mistake miss, terribly sorry. You're quite right, Domina Atia will be the singer for this evening...oh dear...I suppose someone will need to tell her before she throws a tantrum. Of course as you will be dancing, the cannon will be fired prior to your dance, so I see no issue with that. Err, thank you for correcting me miss. Honestly this festival will be the death of me, all these schedules."

Tyka

From your perch, you see the entire forum open up before you. As the crowds move through the market, they flow like a river around a rock near your stall, wholly ignoring it. Of particular note, you see two crowds shouting at each other and such is your sight that even from this distance you can see the soy sauce stain on what appears to be the speaker for the more...ragged of the two crowds. You see the mercenary attempting to quell the crowd, and for some time it works, but as the priestly man speaks you see a man in the ragged crowd throw a small stone at him and see him fall. As the priest falls, you see the man begin to move through his side, looking to escape from the forum.

ok so Phasm and Beans, you both can make a Per+Awareness roll to see if you notice the man Kell saw. Also anyone who wants to make an Int+Lore roll would be able to recognize what order the priests belong to.

Phasm
2016-08-13, 01:20 AM
Ivory lets out a sharp curse and draws her warhammer. "Nobody move!" Dark eyes flicker across the crowd, trying to pick out the one who threw the rock. It's tempting to add a little Essence to her search, but there's only so much she can draw upon without showing her Exalted nature to everyone in the crowd. If this turns into a riot she'll need that Essence to fight. "I don't give a damn about either of your beliefs, but if I have to crack heads to prevent a riot, I will!"

Alas for shallow Personal Essence pools...

Perception 3 + Awareness 3 + Stunt 2 = [roll0]

Sith_Happens
2016-08-17, 01:03 PM
Standard note: italicized + no quotation marks = internal monologue.
Ascending Lotus Blossom clasps her hands together and bows slightly.

"Thank you very much for your understanding, I will do my best to not disappoint. Please tell Lady Atia to do her best as well and that I wish her luck."

While Lotus Blossom had technically been promised the opening act, she decides not to press the issue. There's a certain virtue in saving the best for last after all... especially when doing so is all the better for showing Atia up after that little intrusion of hers.

Truly, the nerve of some people...

Almost as if on cue, it is at that moment that the commotion surrounding the Dragonstone priests escalates enough to catch her attention. Half out of pure curiosity and half to make sure that nothing is about to ruin the festivities before she's even had her chance to kick them off, Ascending Lotus Blossom proceeds in that direction, her two bodyguards dutifully forming the bottom edge of a triangle of which their charge is the upper vertex. Walking almost directly in between the dueling crowds as if without a care in the world, she smiles at each side in turn before addressing them both in a tone that can only be described as both gentle and forceful.

"Pardon my intrusion, but might someone care to calmly explain the cause of this most shameful disturbance?"

I think calming things down is best rolled as an Inspire (inspiring calm, of course). Appearance + Presence since Lotus Blossom is counting on her physical imposition between them and her sheer attention-getting ability to do most of the work here:

[roll0]
Rules for influencing a crowd can be found in the sidebar on page 223 if you haven't been using them already.

EDIT: To clarify, she's rolling that against everyone present, PCs and bystanders included.

OracleofSilence
2016-08-17, 04:55 PM
Oh, the folly of the privaleged."Disturbing, certainly, my Lord. But if she were so blatant a heretic, why would the young man doubt the justice of her punishment? Does he dout the charges?" Whisper could barely keep himself from groaning. Posession? What kind of idiot thought that would explain it? She only needed to be poor enough, or hungry enough. Even the rich would cling to straws when they were trapped, and heresy was common among the desperate.

As for the man's jest about becoming a detective, best to ignore that entirely. A joke was a joke, and beyond that, his current role wold never engage with a comment like that.

Beans
2016-08-23, 03:23 PM
Vesa is by her fellow Skullstone native's side, hand on the handle of her sword. Her eyes are narrowed as they flick through the crowd.
"Who did that?" Her voice is barely raised, yet it has a tone that cuts through a din. "Which fool has done this thing? Do they want a riot, or are they so thoughtless not to expect commotion?"
PRC 3 + Awareness 3 + 2 Stunt = 8 dice = [roll0]

Kell_tamer
2016-08-29, 03:28 PM
Tyka currently has no stake in the events at hand. She instead continues to watch from her perch as events unfold. Maybe some of the people here would actually be interesting.

ChaosArchon
2016-08-31, 07:43 PM
The two clashing sides are quickly quelled by the overwhelming glory and force of the Solars, though they know not who they look upon. However the brawl is not stopped so quickly as to have no injuries occur, and blackened eyes or bloody noses are an infrequent sight.

One of the Dragonstone monks looks up at Ascending Lotus Blossom, her nose bloodied and holding the fallen monk in her arms. It is clear from the blood running from his forehead that the man is dead. She looks distraught but takes a breath and replies,"One of those brutes threw a stone and killed Quintus! I demand the guards arrest the entire crowd now or we'll let the Praenuntiae take care of the situation!"

Meanwhile Luna's child, as well as Ivory and Vesa, see the ragged man dashing from the forum. He wears a plain looking tunic, although it has clearly suffered some disuse. You can't see his face but you are sure of one thing, he is clearly leaving with all due haste from the scene.

Hearing the commotion, Javier turns around and stops to see what is causing. But as soon as he begins to walk towards the mess to break it up, the riot stops and then so does Javier in confusion. But once he hears the monk's words he pales turning to "Yori", and quickly says,"I have to handle this, but come to the forum pavilion later, the detectives could use more sharp minds like your own." And then rushes off to the now deflated riot,"Now, now Silva. No need to involve the Praenuntiae, we have the situation at hand. GUARDS!" and at his words the forum guards, until this moment unsure of whether to intervene, flocked to his side. "Guards arrest the rioters, all of them. We can house them at my estate until a proper trial can be convened concerning Quintus' death."

Outrage fills Silva's face, but she remains silent and motions for her monks to go with the guards peacefully.

Kell_tamer
2016-08-31, 10:02 PM
The eagle gives flight, pursuing the fleeing man from above. Curiosity it seems was in her....
(and not subtle nudging from the ST):tongue:

Beans
2016-09-05, 04:55 PM
Vesa starts after the fleeing man, silver hair going like a streamer behind her as she attempts to close the distance with him. "Ivory!" She calls to the other woman---she might be faster than Vesa, after all, and better able to catch the fugitive.

Phasm
2016-09-05, 11:10 PM
"Ha!" There he is! Ivory takes off after the rock thrower, hammer in hand as she weaves through the crowd. "Make way, coming through, excuse me!" If only she knew how to use her Essence to increase her speed...

Sith_Happens
2016-09-06, 09:06 AM
Ascending Lotus Blossom scrutinizes the scene. Most likely it was just a typical protest against Dragonstone's so-called "Immaculate Faith" that happened to turn violent. Unfortunate given the timing and location, but Lotus Blossom can hardly bring herself to disapprove given Dragonstone's hardline stance on what constitutes an "Anathema;" the last thing she needs is one of those warrior-monks she's heard rumors of kicking in her door one day and asking why a Solar should be allowed to do as she pleases.

Still, the situation seems to have resolved itself thanks to Lord Javier's timely intervention. Ascending Lotus Blossom stays for the time being to make sure it stays resolved, but once the involved parties are out of everyone's hair it will be back to rehearsal.

Walking up to Javier, she smiles and offers a modest but respectful bow.

"Lord Inspector, if you could see what those two foreigners just ran off about, I feel it may be important."

OracleofSilence
2016-09-06, 04:57 PM
The man was determined, Whisper had to give him that. And in light of that determination, the act would have to change a little bit. A bit more interest in public order, a bit less of the old urban predator vibe. And that meant "Yori" would be interested in the riot.

Best to keep some aspects of the old guise though. Whisper strolled towards the riot, threading cleanly through the crowd and eyeing the situation. Let's see. Some kind of noblewoman seemed interested, and there were those noisy outlanders too... Lots of moving parts but the situation seemed calm. Plenty of guards too. Best to remember to tamp down on the old sticky fingers. Ah! People in flight! A perfect opportunity.

Whisper was off like a shot, dashing through the crowd after the departing outlander and whoever their quarry was. No effort was expended on apologies or excuses, in fact Whisper ignored the crowd compleltely. He had been running in circumstances like this since he was but a child, and the ebb and flow of the human mass was more an aid then a hinderance.

Rolls and potential charm use will be in the OOC once I have a bit more time.

ChaosArchon
2016-09-24, 09:57 PM
While Vesa fails to catch up to the fleeing man, the rest of the disparate group of Exalted gathered in the market manage to catch up to him. Breathing heavily, he looks over his shoulder at the small group and panics, speeding up a little only to trip over a rock and end up in a sprawling heap of cloth and limbs.

He looks forlornly at the group, wondering his fate.

Sith_Happens
2016-09-25, 05:25 PM
Discreetly watching the two foreigners (and one local who seems to have joined them), Ascending Lotus Blossom updates Lord Javier on their progress.

"Oh my, that was quite fast. The foreigners and a local appear to have just caught a man in the midst of fleeing the scene. You would know these things much better than myself of course, but it seems reasonable to surmise that the man in question might very well be the murderer, yes?"

Phasm
2016-09-28, 12:14 AM
Ivory tucks her warhammer back into her belt as she strides up to the rock-thrower. The scowl on her face bodes ill for anyone who crosses her at this point. "You get to explain yourself to the guards now, bucko." She grabs his arm and twists it up behind him in the time-honored position of authorities restraining a suspect. Quarry caught and restrained, the Dawn Caste takes the time to offer a respectful nod to the others who helped chase him down. "Good job, everyone." Where's a guard... aha! The Dawn Caste begins frog-marching her captive toward them.

ChaosArchon
2016-10-05, 01:09 PM
The stumbled man struggles but to naught and is soon brought before Lord Javier who then motions to the guards to take him away. The lord then looks at the Exalts, not knowing that they are thus, and with a smooth voice announces,"Truly, you have all been a great boon. I shudder to think what would have happened to this man had we not found him first. Likely Dragonstone might have found him and...exacted revenge. He may still be executed for murder, but it will be after a lawful trial. So thank you all."

Sith_Happens
2016-10-06, 04:59 PM
As one might guess, not many people in Creation can blush on command. Then again, not many people in Creation are Ascending Lotus Blossom.

"'All?' Surely you do not mean me, I hardly did anything of note..."

OracleofSilence
2016-10-10, 06:09 PM
"Oh on the contrary, Lady. I'm sure the good Lord here appreciated your presence, at the very least." Ohhhh, that was good. Well practiced, well executed, and impressively natural. Certainly a talent, if nothing else. "Yori" offers his own bow, more a slight inclination of the head and a slight bend at the waist then a p[roper formal greeting. "Excuse me, good sir, but do you mind if I ask the man a few questions? Just out of curiosity of course. Although perhaps in private. No need to rile up the festival any more."

Phasm
2016-10-10, 10:01 PM
Ivory salutes the lord, thumping her right fist to her chest Skullstone style. "Any time, my lord." The warrior scowls. "I've no use for anyone who would deliberately try to start a fight between that many people in a festival crowd. Bystanders would have been hurt, that's for sure."

ChaosArchon
2016-11-15, 04:10 PM
Lord Javier smiles,"You are all too kind, you must all be awarded. Please, allow me to invite you all to my private box for the festivities. There will be food, drink, and potentially job offers. After all you have all proven more adequate public defenders than certain guards I know of." As he says the last line he looks back at the two guards holding the ragged man but it seems a mildly good natured jab, not a serious dismissal of his mens' abilities.

At "Yori's" remark he chuckles,"Indeed Ayesha, you give yourself too little credit. I'm sure had the criminal escaped you would have led a cadre of citizens yourself to capture the fugitive." Once Yori asks for permission to speak with the prisoner he frowns. "While there is no law against citizens interrogating prisoners...it would seem rather untoward...especially to the other Families. But tell you what, we can temporarily take him with us to the pavilion under guard. You should have enough privacy to speak with him there."

He then walks up to the ragged man and moves his head to look into his eyes,"Now young man, I understand the Dragonstone can be...grating but murder isn't the answer. Only by facing our foes with grace and wisdom can we advance." He then frowns,"Oh dear, it looks like you lost a tooth in the ensuing struggle. I hope you're not in too much pain, a physician could be fetched?"

However the ragged man remains silent, his eyes filled with both panic, rage, and a third emotion that is inscrutable.

"No? Oh well, guards! With me. See you all at the festival tonight." And with that Lord Javier, cousin to the emperor and older brother of Atia, leaves the scene.

Sith_Happens
2017-01-06, 06:43 PM
Ascending Lotus Blossom imperceptibly weighs the Dragon-Blood's tone and body language as he addresses her. Detecting his sincerity, she coyly averts her gaze.

"You know me too well, my lord. Sadly it is with great pain that I must decline your offer, however, as I have already been contracted to provide assorted entertainments for the whole of Calibration. Perhaps some time after sunrise? I would be honored indeed to learn how one as esteemed as yourself thinks I might be of service."

Upon Javier's farewell she curtseys with a gentle smile.

"The pleasure is all mine, my lord. Oh, and if you would, please tell Lady Atia that I wish her the best of luck in the opening ceremonies tonight."

Instill time, giving Javier a Minor Tie towards Lotus Blossom as a valuable acquaintance. Manipulation (3) + Presence (5) + Stunt (2) + Exceptional clothing (1) + Harmonious Presence Meditation (3) + Listener-Swaying Argument (?* + 1 success) + [Appearance (6) - Javier's Resolve (?)]:

14 guaranteed dice: [roll0]
Potential (Appearance - Resolve) dice: [roll1]
Potential LSA dice: [roll2]
+1 success from LSA

EDIT: That's at least 9 successes. Social Solars are fun:smallbiggrin:
* If Javier raises his Resolve from its base value by any means (Intimacy, Excellency, etc.) then I get half that many non-Charm dice (round down, maximum 3).

Phasm
2017-01-11, 01:41 AM
Ivory visibly brightens at the lord's offer of recompense. Food, drink, even a seat in his private box are all very well, but job offers? Hell yes! The mercenary bows to Lord Javier. "I gladly accept your generous offer, my lord." I hope that was the right phrasing, or something close to it. Dealing with living lords and ladies is still rather new to the Skullstone exile.

Beans
2017-01-11, 08:41 AM
Vesa bows with a distinctive hand movement, unsheathing her blade a fraction of an inch and clicking it back into place as if to punctuate the gesture.
((With... maybe a Lore roll or something, probably low difficulty depending on the person [Ivory would have the easiest time, probably], one might recognize it as typical of certain Deathknights of Skullstone.))

"You ladle honor generously on a mere auditor and financier, lord. I will be glad to accept your kind offer." She does not smile, but is respectably solemn.

Kell_tamer
2017-01-11, 11:34 PM
Tyka continues watching from her perch. She does that bird thing where they groom by biting their wings. But she continues to watch.

Phasm
2017-01-12, 01:37 AM
Ivory gives the young woman next to her a once-over, rubbing the well-worn handle of her hammer as she thinks. She can't quite put her finger on what's bothering her, something about Vesa almost reminds her of the Deathknights she's seen. But Ordu Solis is so distant, so isolated. Is this Vesa truly an Abyssal, or is paranoia getting to her? And what would an Abyssal be doing so far from Skullstone?

Sooo... I'm not precisely sure what to roll here. I've seen a couple suggestions in the OOC, but I think I'll wait on ChaosArchon.

OracleofSilence
2017-01-15, 02:43 AM
Huh. Either this man was just really desperate for some hired help, or this was some kind of trap. Best be prepared either way, but appearing would still be important. Hmm. Interesting salute from the "financier." Haven't seen that one before. The performer was still playing... what ever game she probably had going on. And this mercenary. Not much to say there. good pair of legs though. "Yori" nods congenially to the Lords offer, doing his best to prevent his thoughts from reaching his eyes. "Well, after putting the effort in, it would be terribly rude to turn down the offer my Lord. Until then, I hope the day treats you well."

There would be some time to get the personality and identity in order before then. More importantly, it would be an excellent idea to figure out what to do with the opportunity at some point. It was always important to have concrete goals, of course, but even more important was a proper exit plan.

ChaosArchon
2017-01-15, 08:12 AM
Time passes quickly, and by the evening the forum looks pristine and enchanted, as if the very idea of a riot occurring earlier would be laughable. But, even to untrained eyes, there are far more guards present than earlier and they are on high alert. It would be inauspicious for another to die during the first day of the festival.

But the main forum grounds are not your final destination, instead you go to the pavilion separate from the main forum mainly by silk curtains and guards. But mostly by the guards. Inside are a variety of lounging chairs as well as tables filled with food.

Lying on one of the chairs, flanked by two guards, is the suspect from earlier now asleep but tossing restlessly in it. While at the back of the pavilion, in a black reclining chair, sits Nela Javier.

So Phasm, I'm thinking a Int+Lore roll would work, and I wouldn't worry about using any essence, it will be fairly low difficulty for you since you are from that area

Beans
2017-01-19, 09:13 PM
Vesa arrives; under her buff coat is a simple black mandarin robe, lightly embroidered but brightened up by a sash of green. Her hair has been brushed so it shines like spun silver, and her pallor is almost luminous. She has even contrived to tart up her sword a bit; the austere black scabbard has been given a lace wrap of green. It would seem she feels it right to honor the Maiden of Secrets as befits one concerned with mathematics and confidentiality.

OracleofSilence
2017-01-26, 02:44 PM
"Yori" arrives dressed much as he as earlier, though hardly unprepared. A thin paper fan is tucked into the sash about his waist, next to a small laquered box of mysterious contents. He offers a brief nod and smile, lazy and catlike to Vesa and the guards and a shallow bow to Javier, before taking a seat in one of the several chairs scattered about the room.