PDA

View Full Version : [Item] The Toy Beholder

AngelSword
2007-07-04, 02:41 AM
Toy Beholder
This small, stuffed monster is as frightening as it is cute. Roughly 1/24th the scale of the real thing, this children's toy is enchanted to float about at eye level and roar at random intervals. At will, the user can command it to fire beams of light from any of its eye stalks (the beams are harmless).

Faint Transmutation; CL 3rd; Craft Wondrous Item, Ghost Sound, Light, Levitate, creator must have seen a beholder or pass a DC 23 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) check; Price 20g

Kurald Galain
2007-07-04, 03:00 AM
And also,

Toy Gas Spore
This small, stuffed monster looks almost exactly like a toy beholder (DC 20 knowldedge arcana check to tell the difference). However, when struck or when dealt damage in any way, it explodes violently, dealing 1d4 damage to everything in a 5-foot radius (ref save for half).

Fualkner Asiniti
2007-07-04, 09:48 AM
Sweet! "Momma, I want one!"

Great item, and it's affordable too.

Miraqariftsky
2007-07-04, 10:32 AM
And also,

Toy Gas Spore
This small, stuffed monster looks almost exactly like a toy beholder (DC 20 knowldedge arcana check to tell the difference). However, when struck or when dealt damage in any way, it explodes violently, dealing 1d4 damage to everything in a 5-foot radius (ref save for half).

HEY! They shouldn't be selling these in common toy shops! It's dangerous! Aye, and doubly so, since we all know most NPCs have a shortage of HP.

MandibleBones
2007-07-04, 10:58 AM
HEY! They shouldn't be selling these in common toy shops! It's dangerous! Aye, and doubly so, since we all know most NPCs have a shortage of HP.

Yes, but who's worked these "Gas Spores" into the normal contents of Mr. Zanzibar, the Wizard's, cart? Luckily, nobody's died yet, but the village is nervous and wonders what's next, exploding fruit? Who will step up to solve this mystery and save the town from toy-terrorism?

Enter the 1st-level PCs.

skeeter_dan
2007-07-04, 11:32 AM
A plot hook! Huzzah!

Seriously, this is a fun idea. Making children's toys out of the horrors lurking underground is exactly the kind of thing that would catch the interest of the upperclass. Who cares if little Jimmy has nightmares that the tiny beholder's going to eat him? It's the latest trend!

Hectonkhyres
2007-07-04, 07:31 PM
What is next... Tickle-me-Illithid?
Boy, the Gith are going to be having mixed feelings on that one.

Hmm. Makes me wonder what novelties the omniverse's assorted abominations, Beholders and Illithids and yadda-yadda, invest in when they are bored. You can't go eating people all the time.

Arakune
2007-07-04, 07:59 PM
what about the cutethullu? you must have on of these!

Mr. Moogle
2007-07-04, 10:22 PM
I'll put my vote with theRing of Inappropriate Noises at Inappropriate Times

sigurd
2007-07-04, 10:33 PM
I like it but seems really cheap.

I can just see the strategic band of adventurers using one to plan a real attack.

You need a tether ball variety :)

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-07-04, 10:51 PM
I would make my characters by hundreds of them for fun. I love it.

MandibleBones
2007-07-04, 11:23 PM
At will, the user can command it to fire beams of light from any of its eye stalks (the beams are harmless).

:mitd: "I'd buy it!"

AngelSword
2007-07-05, 06:07 PM
:mitd: "I'd buy it!"

Y'know, Xykon probably would take it away from him.

JackMage666
2007-07-05, 10:49 PM
I understand that it's technically useless, but it's too cheap. Remember, a Spyglass is 1000 gp, and that's non-magical. Even an hourglass costs more than this, at 25 gp. Rethink pricing, as I'm pretty sure an caster loses quite a bit of XP in making this, for absolutely no profit.

Jack_Simth
2007-07-06, 12:32 AM
Toy Beholder
This small, stuffed monster is as frightening as it is cute. Roughly 1/24th the scale of the real thing, this children's toy is enchanted to float about at eye level and roar at random intervals. At will, the user can command it to fire beams of light from any of its eye stalks (the beams are harmless).

Faint Transmutation; CL 3rd; Craft Wondrous Item, Ghost Sound, Light, Levitate, creator must have seen a beholder or pass a DC 23 Knowledge (Dungeoneering) check; Price 20g

Nice distraction. Keep it in something that doesn't let sound out when you don't want it, toss it somewhere when you want something investigating a particular locale.

It is under priced for the utility.

The gas spores are even more useful - you just need fifty of them all packed in one spot. Set one off, it damages the rest, setting them off, too.

Vhaidara
2007-07-06, 12:39 AM
You've got a point. It would be deadly uber-dominoes! :smalleek:

AngelSword
2007-07-06, 12:41 AM
Nice distraction. Keep it in something that doesn't let sound out when you don't want it, toss it somewhere when you want something investigating a particular locale.

You do realize it doesn't speak or relay information in any way, shape, or form, right?

Haruspex
2007-07-06, 04:46 AM
All the cool kids have one. Seriously, I can see bored gnome wizards making these for their children.

Koji
2007-07-06, 05:16 AM
Replace one with an Eyeball (tiny beholder-like monster) and you have an awesome practical joke.

Jack_Simth
2007-07-06, 06:19 AM
You do realize it doesn't speak or relay information in any way, shape, or form, right?
Right. That's why I termed it a distraction.

If you're charged with defending the palace, you're liable to investigate odd noises, no? Even if you're not, adding background noise a distance away from where I'm actually hiding, suddenly there's stuff louder than me hollering for your attention.

Kurald Galain
2007-07-06, 06:20 AM

No, but it roars at random intervals...

The gas spores are even more useful - you just need fifty of them all packed in one spot. Set one off, it damages the rest, setting them off, too.

Isn't there a limit to how much stuff you can pile in a single square? Especially if all of it floats at eye level?

Besides, you'd have botched your arcana check on some of them, giving you the non-explosive kind :)

Zeta Kai
2007-07-06, 07:10 AM
Isn't there a limit to how much stuff you can pile in a single square? Especially if all of it floats at eye level?

Yes, but the SRD says the following:

A Tiny creature typically occupies a space only 2½ feet across, so four can fit into a single square. Twenty-five Diminutive creatures or 100 Fine creatures can fit into a single square.

At 1/24th scale of a Large creature (8-16'), we're talking about toys that are only 4-8" in diameter. That's Diminutive or Fine. So one could herd 25-100 of these things into a 5' square without too much trouble, especially when you consider that these are inanimate (albeit magical) objects; they don't have to worry about effective combat spacing (or anything else, for that matter).

BisectedBrioche
2007-07-06, 08:07 AM
I understand that it's technically useless, but it's too cheap. Remember, a Spyglass is 1000 gp, and that's non-magical. Even an hourglass costs more than this, at 25 gp. Rethink pricing, as I'm pretty sure an caster loses quite a bit of XP in making this, for absolutely no profit.

Ah, but a spyglass needs glass lenses. Which would be pretty hard to make in a medieval setting.

Neek
2007-07-06, 10:22 AM
This'd be fun to find in a dragon's horde. Is there a companion set?

Oh! I know...

Toy Adventurer (Fighter)

This plush effigy of a human is about 1/24 the size of a common person. When placed in front of a Toy Monster, the Toy Adventurer will attempt to attack the toy. When placed with any other Toy Adventurer, they coordinate. The toy comes with a sword and a shield, and a bow and a quiver of arrows; all these weapons are plush and cause no damage.

Toy Adventurer (Wizard)

This plush effigy of an elf is about 1/24 the size, covered in blue robes. When squeezes, the Toy Wizard casts "Dancing lights." When placed in front of a Toy Monster, it will automatically use its Dancing lights to slay the monster. The Toy Wizard comes with a staff and a sexually ambiguous design.

Toy Adventurer (Rogue)

This plush effigy of a halfling is about 1/24 the size, and wears drab armor. When your back is turned, the Rogue attempts to stab you in the back with its plush weaponry, or is rifling through your stuff looking for things to steal. When placed in front of a Toy Monster, the Toy Rogue will attempt to sneak attack it. The Toy Rogue comes with a plush short-sword, dagger, and grappling hook.

Not sure what'd it take to make these. Probably animate object...

Jalor
2007-07-06, 11:31 AM
Toy Adventurer (Cleric)

This plush effigy of a human is about 1/24 the size of a common person. When squeezed, it casts Light.When placed in front of a Toy Monster, the Toy Cleric will attempt to attack the toy. The toy comes with a mace and fake holy symbol; all these items are plush and cause no damage.

Zeta Kai
2007-07-06, 12:59 PM
Toy Adventurer (Paladin)
This plush effigy of a human is about 1/24 the size of a common person. When placed in front of a Toy Monster, the Toy Adventurer will attempt to smite the toy (no damage). When placed with any other Toy Adventurer, the Paladin will stop fighting Toy Monsters, & berate the other Toy Adventurers for loose morals. The toy comes with a sword & shield, as well as a fake holy symbol (mount not included). All these weapons are plush &cause no damage.

Toy Adventurer (Druid)
This plush effigy of a human is about 1/24 the size of a common person. When placed in front of a Toy Monster, the Toy Adventurer will attempt to befriend it. When placed with any other Toy Adventurer, the Druid will stop the other Toy Adventurers from fighting the Toy Monster. The toy comes with a cloak & staff, as well as a fake holy symbol (mount not included). All these weapons are plush &cause no damage.

Neek
2007-07-06, 01:33 PM
Toy Adventurer (Druid)
This plush effigy of a human is about 1/24 the size of a common person. When placed in front of a Toy Monster, the Toy Adventurer will attempt to befriend it. When placed with any other Toy Adventurer, the Druid will stop the other Toy Adventurers from fighting the Toy Monster. The toy comes with a cloak & staff, as well as a fake holy symbol (mount not included). All these weapons are plush &cause no damage.

I think you mean animal companion?

Toy Adventurer (Bard)
This plush effigy of a human is about 1/24 the size of a common person. On first appearance, you'll note that its ears are sort of pointy. When squeezed, it plays music. When placed against a monster, the toy plays music nervously until it is stuck, where it falls down. As long as its music is playing, any other Toy Adventurer seems to be do a little better. The Toy Bard comes with a short sword and a musical instrument. All these weapons are plush and cause no damage.

BisectedBrioche
2007-07-06, 01:55 PM
Toy Displacer Beast

The 1/24 scale plush that every kid wants to pick up! (But can't unless they can get a wizard to cast true seeing).

Toy Clay Golem

1/24 scale clay model kit. Comes with a specially made scroll to cast animate object once the clay is molded into shape. The golem is enchanted to do no damage.