PDA

View Full Version : Software recommendations, please :-)

pickledillusion
2016-07-28, 06:00 PM
Hello, guys! Do you guys know anything about a type of software that could provide an effective mechanism for tracking the source and cost of an organization's problems and also generates a preventive actions and verification stages? My boss told me to do some research about it and I really don't know where to start. Any inputs will be great! Thanks.

thracian
2016-07-28, 06:37 PM
It sounds like you're looking for AI. I'm trying to fathom what inputs you could give to a computer program to generate a list of an organization's problems that wasn't just already a list of the organization's problems.

Imagine a company where the problem is that middle management has a culture based on stifling innovation due to being risk-averse and not wanting to rock the boat, thus potentially stopping lower-level but more competent/imaginative employees from coming up with creative solutions to difficult problems. What inputs would you give a computer to allow it to determine that sort of an issue?

I'm either going to say what you're looking for is as likely as the hide of the Nemean Lion, or you need to give an actual description with fewer buzzwords and more explanations.

gomipile
2016-07-28, 09:57 PM
The problem as you've stated it seems far too vague for any algorithm to solve it. I think you need to be far more specific on what needs to be accomplished by the software.

Misereor
2016-07-29, 02:18 AM
Hello, guys! Do you guys know anything about a type of software that could provide an effective mechanism for tracking the source and cost of an organization's problems and also generates a preventive actions and verification stages? My boss told me to do some research about it and I really don't know where to start. Any inputs will be great! Thanks.

You need a set of practices for identifying and rectifying problems before you can make software for them.
I have no idea what kind of business you are in, but stuff like ITIL, SCRUM, and Prince2 is pretty useful for anyone concerned with aligning business services with business needs.

Chen
2016-07-29, 06:56 AM

Automatically? I don't see any software that could do that. Platforms where you can organize these types of things though exist, probably in fairly large number. A search for product lifecycle management tools will probably give you a bunch.

trueexciting
2016-08-03, 09:07 AM
I assume you're working in an ISO certified company, for effective implementation of preventive action, documentation of the process and steps is a must. Only a proper documentation will help you track the effectiveness and sufficiency of the preventive action process. Since there is too much paper works I understand the need of your boss to automate it to make it easier. I recommend ETQ for software that are ISO compliant, they offer various applications depending on your requirements. You can check them online.

veti
2016-08-05, 09:02 AM
What sort of business are you in, and how big is the company?

The problem you describe is pretty much what ERP software is for, but unless you're a huge multinational it's unlikely to be what you need. And if you were a huge multinational, my guess is your boss would have more knowledgeable people than you to draw on. (No offence meant.)

The answer to your question is almost certainly some sort of database. What sort, specifically, will depend on your business. You need something that is capable of analysing your costs and revenues, and modelling your workflows and processes. The world is full of small software houses that create databases (generally based on SQL Server, or PostGreSQL if they're into that) specifically tailored for particular business niches, then charge their clients a small fortune to license and maintain them. If your business is large enough, and the problem is important enough, to afford a couple of thousand dollars a month in maintenance costs, then that's your answer.

pickledillusion
2016-08-05, 06:59 PM
I apologize for being too vague on describing what type of software we need, I thought there's only one type of software that does things that I mentioned in my OP.

We're a small paper manufacturer but we're starting to employ more people and yes we recently got ISO certified so we're looking for a software that can maintain quality and standards when it comes to business processes and operations as well as identify root problems and automatically suggest solutions.

We did request quotes from Intelex, Verse Solutions and ETQ, turns out the first one provided us a quote we can't really afford even if we paid on terms. The second and the third company both have the same price point but the latter has a fully integrated software (http://www.etq.com/quality-management-software/) that could help us in all aspects of the business so we're leaning towards them at this point.

thracian
2016-08-05, 08:24 PM
we're looking for a software that can maintain quality and standards when it comes to business processes and operations as well as identify root problems and automatically suggest solutions.

I still feel like I'm just reading random entries from here (http://www.theofficelife.com/business-jargon-dictionary-A.html).

mike201689
2016-08-08, 05:49 AM
If I correctly you understand that you need a Jira.