PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Lawful Rager

Thurbane
2016-07-28, 11:08 PM
Just out of idle curiosity (not for a specific build), what are some ways to get Barbarian Rage (or an equivalent) on a capital L Lawful character?

So far I have:

1/2 Orc Racial Paragon class
Tainted Raver template (NPC only)
Gutworm Symbiont (although the CE aligned just feels at odds to a Lawful character to me - easiest "fix" I can think of is to homebrew a Nine Hells equivalent creature)

...I know there are other things "similar" to Rage (Were-badger, Wildren etc.), but the closer to the actual Rage class ability, the better.

Cheers - T

daremetoidareyo
2016-07-28, 11:11 PM
druidic avenger ACF on a LN druid?

awakened animal with a wand of enrage animal?

or just have the rage spell cast on yourself?

Extra Anchovies
2016-07-28, 11:22 PM
druidic avenger ACF on a LN druid?

Druidic Avenger is the only thing that turns up in the list of alternate class features (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7908). The Lists of Stuff (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=a9ame3s5dstsni57dttchnjln0&topic=1412.0) mentions the Geomancer PrC; from 7th level there's an option that causes you to rage as a 1st-level barbarian whenever you're injured. It doesn't have a use/day limit, but it also isn't optional, so fatigue immunity would be a good thing to pick up.

Tanuki Tales
2016-07-28, 11:48 PM
Proto Creature from Bestiary of Krynn(probably misspelling that) gave you the ability to rage as a barbarian of your total hit dice, but I can't remember off hand if that one forces an alignment change.

Troacctid
2016-07-29, 12:04 AM
Geomancer (stage 4 drift) from Complete Divine (as badger/wolverine).
Kinslayer from Drow of the Underdark (as barbarian).
Past life "template" from Dungeon Master's Guide II (as 11th level barbarian).

Sian
2016-07-29, 02:38 AM
Singh Rager from Oriental Adventures have Lions Fury 3/day, at second level, which works just about the same as Rage does, and it get upgraded to Greater rage some bit down the road.

Weretouched Master, from Eberron Campaign Setting, gives a weak rage as well if you select Wolverine heritage

Inevitability
2016-07-29, 07:34 AM
The Hida Defender from Oriental Adventures can rage once per two-class levels, and the only alignment requirement is a lack of evil.

Shinn
2016-07-29, 07:42 AM
Quintessential Barbarian 2, a 3.0 third party book, had a feat letting you keep your rage even if you were Lawful. However, you still lose the other Barbarian Special Features, such as Trapsense or Uncanny dodge.

Sian
2016-07-29, 08:23 AM
Quintessential Barbarian 2, a 3.0 third party book, had a feat letting you keep your rage even if you were Lawful. However, you still lose the other Barbarian Special Features, such as Trapsense or Uncanny dodge.

eh, in 3.5 Lawful Ex-Barabarians only lose their ability to Rage ... Also, weren't the Quintessential XXX a 3rd party series?

Flickerdart
2016-07-29, 09:23 AM
What alignment would a were-badger or were-wolverine be?

Shinn
2016-07-29, 09:43 AM
eh, in 3.5 Lawful Ex-Barabarians only lose their ability to Rage ... Also, weren't the Quintessential XXX a 3rd party series?Yeah, I said it : it's a 3rd party book. And I effectively made a mistake, you don't lose your other features. But it seems a little bit powerful like that, even if you spend a feat.

Extra Anchovies
2016-07-29, 10:35 AM
The Sohei is a lawful-only class in Oriental Adventures that has an ability called ki frenzy with almost identical mechanics to rage but different benefits (+2 Str/Dex, +10 ft speed, flurry of blows without weapon/armor restrictions). It's not a great class overall, but I don't think it's very hard to fix.

full BAB, 4+Int skills
flurry improves as monk (penalty drops to -1 at 5th and vanishes at 9th, another extra attack at 11th)
ki frenzy improves as barbarian (+4 Str/Dex at 1st, +6/+8 at 10th/20th, doesn't cause fatigue at 17th)
replace weapon focus/deflect arrows/remain conscious with monk bonus feat progression
shift the damage reduction to scale as per barbarian
fill in other gaps with stuff from monk and/or CW samurai (e.g. wholeness of body, staredown, abundant step)

Geomancer (stage 4 drift) from Complete Divine (as badger/wolverine).

Since OP wants something as close to barbarian rage as possible, I think it's worth noting that Geomancer rage is compared to a wolverine but is explicitly stated to function like that of a 1st-level barbarian, which could make a difference with rage-based feats and classes.

Inevitability
2016-07-29, 01:17 PM
What alignment would a were-badger or were-wolverine be?

The 2nd-edition book Van Richten's Guide to Werebeasts had werebadgers as Chaotic Evil. I don't believe either has been printed in 3.5, though.

Alignment can be altered with a Helmet of Opposite Alignment, though.

Thurbane
2016-07-31, 02:35 AM
The 2nd-edition book Van Richten's Guide to Werebeasts had werebadgers as Chaotic Evil. I don't believe either has been printed in 3.5, though.

Alignment can be altered with a Helmet of Opposite Alignment, though.

I vaguely remember seeing a Were-badger in an official adventure (possibly one of the free online modules that used to be on the WotC website), but can't find which one.

hamishspence
2016-07-31, 06:24 AM
I vaguely remember seeing a Were-badger in an official adventure (possibly one of the free online modules that used to be on the WotC website), but can't find which one.

The 3.0 Forgotten Realms book Silver Marches had a NE werebadger (page 128).

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-07-31, 06:33 AM
Anthropomorphic badger or wolverine would do it, and they're True Neutral, by default, though that can obviously change.

thorr-kan
2016-07-31, 05:14 PM
White Dragon Heritage from Dragon Magic gives a kinda rage like ability.

Thurbane
2016-07-31, 08:09 PM
The 3.0 Forgotten Realms book Silver Marches had a NE werebadger (page 128).

That's possibly what I was remembering - thank you.

Waker
2016-07-31, 08:19 PM
Tiger Shen PrC (Dragon 319) grants a Frenzy ability at level 10.

WhamBamSam
2016-07-31, 08:45 PM
A Badger Hengeyokai should get Rage from its alternate form just like a Werebadger. They're even LA+0, per the OA 3.5 update in Dragon 318.

Thurbane
2016-07-31, 10:43 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, but as per the OP, looking for stuff as close to possible (ideally, identical) to the Barbarian rage class feature (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/barbarian.htm).

zyggythorn
2016-07-31, 11:29 PM
Rage Cleric ACF; gives up turning for rage, and I believe there is a paladin acf thatswaps smite for rage, too.

Rage Cleric is Dragon Magazine, however.

ShurikVch
2016-08-01, 10:57 AM
Monsters:
Bearded Devil (Barbazu) (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/devil.htm#beardedDevilBarbazu): Battle Frenzy
Undead: Rage // see "Awaken Undead" and "Emancipated Spawn"

Templates:
Blood Ghoul (Ghostwalk WE): Ghoul Rage
Bloodrager (Bestiary Of Krynn): Rage
Madborn (Five Nations): Rage // assuming somehow becoming Lawful later

ACFs/Sub. levels:
Raging Monk (Dr#310): Rage
Lunar Rogue (Dr#340): Raging Rogue

PrCs:
Celebrant of Sharess (Player's Guide to Faerūn): Fury of the Tigress
Chameleon (Races of Destiny): Rage
Deep Avenger (Dr#298): Rage
Drunken Master (Sword and Fist): Drunken Rage
Emancipated Spawn (Savage Species): Rage // for Undead who was Barbarian in life, but Lawful now
Orc Warlord (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030301a): Final Rage
Tainted Warrior (Dr#302): Battle Frenzy // Barbazu
Vengeance Sworn (Dr#296): Rage
Waveservant (Faiths and Pantheons): Sahuagin Rage

Spells:
Awaken Undead (Spell Compendium): Rage // for Undead who was Barbarian in life, but Lawful now

Magic Items:
Sword, Berserking (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#swordBerserking)