PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Making Fallout-Eberron-Mad Max-style World

JerichoPenumbra
2016-07-29, 12:30 AM
I'm working on making a setting for 5e to stave off my boredom. The prompt given to me by a friend basically comes out to be post apocalyptic Mad Max style Eberron, with magic only recently coming back. I'll be drawing a bit from Eberron of course, but also Tales of Maj'Eyal, some of the MTG universe, the Omnic Crisis from Overwatch, and whatever else strikes my fancy. I'm planning on allowing most material presented to me, including unearthed arcana. Any advice on how to fluff things/proceed would be appreciated.

AmayaElls
2016-07-29, 12:51 AM
So I think there are some questions that will need answering:

How did the world get into the state it is currently in? How long ago did it happen? Did this directly lead to the loss of magic or if its more recent was it caused by the return of magic?

If it has been a while:
How have people been surviving without magic?
Is it all gone, or were artifacts left to help?
Divine magics during this period? If it went from having divine magic to no magic most gods would now have a severe lack of followers.
Races?

If it is recent:
How are people coping?

How are people responding to the return of magic? (people tend to fear the unknown so I would usually say badly) How does druidcraft fit into this setting?

All of these questions should have some in depth answers that can help you start developing societal and cultural norms. Also I really love the idea, good luck with it.

Regitnui
2016-07-29, 01:31 AM
The big question is "How will this not be like Athas/Dark Sun?" That's D&D's default post-apocalyse setting.