PDA

View Full Version : Old School ACKS Class - The Seraph

JBPuffin
2016-07-29, 05:03 PM
I recently purchased the ACKS Player's Companion and, being an insatiable tinkerer, decided to take a stab at my first class after generating a couple characters. ACKS' class design system scratches an itch I could never properly reach before, so to show off what it can do I decided to make a PC angel class. Ladies, gentlemen, and squid-faced abominations, I give you...the Seraph!

Sample Character: Atarah Diadema, Valkyrie Cherub (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0jQD4g1XaTTaTUxUnZ3eEVlTEU)

Seraph
Prime Reqs: Wisdom and Dexterity
Other Reqs: Cha 9
Hit Dice: 1d6
Maximum Level: 13
Ratios: Hit Die 1, Fighting 1, Thievery 0, Arcane 0, Divine 2, Seraph 1: 500+500+500+250=1750
Trade-Offs: Unrestricted Armor to Broad Armor, -1 Fighting Style, No Turn Undead (3) = 5 Custom Powers, traded for Flight at 5th level and powers at BLANK (2 powers traded for 3 5th level powers, 2 traded for powers at 3rd, 5th, and 7th, and 1 power traded for powers at 5th and 9th).

Sometimes the gods, in their great wisdom or dislike of their fellows, deign to take mortal form and visit the earth. This frequently leads them to fall for a mortal – elf, dwarf, human or other – and (with or without their consent) to a romantic encounter. When such encounters lead to childbirth, the babe is almost always female and blessed with a certain vivaciousness uncommon to her kind. Few of these children become adventurers, but those who do soon unlock the blessings of their heritage, starting the path on which they may become natural extensions of the gods’ will on earth: seraphim.

Seraphim are trained combatants, although not as focused as fighters. At first level, seraphim hit an unarmored foe (AC 0) with an attack throw of 10+. They advance in attack throws and saving throws by two points every four levels. Being trained in the combat style of the heavenly hosts, seraphim can wear chain mail armor or lighter and fight with swords, daggers, spears, and polearms. Seraphim may fight using shields, but are not trained to fight with a weapon in each hand or wield a single weapon with two hands effectively.

Starting at 2nd level (Cherub), seraphim may manifest their angelic bloodline in the form of divine spells, which are sustained through prayer and worship. The power and number of divine spells available to the character are determined by level according to the Seraph Spell Progression Table; see below the table for a list of available spells. They can use any magical items available to seraphs.

In order to cast their divine spells, seraphim must uphold the doctrines of their god; should a seraph ever stray too far from the god’s favor, they may be penalized as decided by the Judge, albeit less harshly then a seraph as seraphim additionally draw from their angelic heritage. Optionally, at 2nd level a seraph may forego devotion to a god entirely and become Unbound; unbound seraphim are at no risk of facing penalties for their misdeeds, but they are treated as a seraph of half their actual level for the purpose of spellcasting (they still gain other class features as normal).

When a seraph reaches 5th level (Virtue), she may begin to research spells, scribe scrolls, and brew potions. At 9th level (Angel), she is able to create more powerful magic items such as weapons, rings, and staffs. At 11th level, a seraph may learn and cast ritual divine spells of great power (6th and 7th level), and craft magical constructs such as golems and animated statues.

Upon reaching 3rd level, the seraph unlocks the ability to speak in tongues. Once per day with a casting time of 1 turn, she may cast the tongues spell, allowing her to speak and understand the language of any intelligent creature within 60’ of her.

When a seraph reaches 5th level (Virtue), her glorious wings unfurl from her back, granting her a flying movement rate of 10’ greater than her combat movement rate. She can use these wings so long as she is carrying less than 7 plus her Strength adjustment stone.

At 7th level, seraphim undergo physical alteration: their blood is replaced with divine ichor, making them immune to all forms of poison, including magical poisons.

Upon attaining 9th level (Angel), a seraph may establish or build a fortified church. So long as the seraph is currently in favor with her patron god (meaning unbound seraphim cannot receive this bonus), she may build her fortified church at half the normal price due to divine intervention. Once a fortified church is established, the seraph’s reputation will spread and she will attract 5d6x10 0th level soldiers armed with various weapons, plus another 1d6 seraphs of 1st-3rd level of the same religion to serve the order. They are completely loyal (morale +4). While in the seraph’s service, her followers must be provided food and lodging, but need not be paid wages. The Judge determines which proportions of followers are archers, infantry, etc.

Once per month, beginning at 9th level, the seraph may cast the quest spell or its inverse with a casting time of 1 round.

Because of their divine heritage, seraphim begin play with several additional abilities. First, beginning when she attains 1st level the seraph obtains nigh-eternal youth; she becomes ageless, enjoys a lifespan three times longer than normal, and becomes immune to ghoul paralysis. Second, she gains a +2 bonus to all saving throws (included), stemming from the awakening of her angelic essence breathing new life into her. Third, the seraph’s presence inspires those in service to her god-parent, granting any hirelings devoted to her god a +1 bonus to their morale. Finally, her body is blessed with divine health – she is immune to all forms of disease, including magical diseases caused by spells, mummies, and lycanthropes.

Seraphim Proficiencies List: Apostasy, Armor Mastery, Battle Magic, Beast Friendship, Combat Trickery (force back, overrun, sunder), Combat Reflexes, Command, Contemplation, Diplomacy, Fighting Style, Healing, Knowledge, Laying on Hands, Leadership, Loremastery, Magical Engineering, Martial Training, Mystic Aura, Passing Without Trace, Prestidigitation, Prophecy, Quiet Magic, Sensing Evil, Sensing Power, Theology, Unflappable Casting, Weapon Focus

Note - Rather than mess around with the forum table system, I photoshopped the tables out of my Word doc. Yes, this was easier than that sounds :smallsmile:.
http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii611/Jonathan_Millington/Seraph%20Level%20Chart_zpsbyvhl7wf.png (http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/Jonathan_Millington/media/Seraph%20Level%20Chart_zpsbyvhl7wf.png.html)
http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii611/Jonathan_Millington/Seraph%20Throw%20Chart_zps94jjtugb.png (http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/Jonathan_Millington/media/Seraph%20Throw%20Chart_zps94jjtugb.png.html)
http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii611/Jonathan_Millington/Seraph%20Templates_zpsugjojjvt.png (http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/Jonathan_Millington/media/Seraph%20Templates_zpsugjojjvt.png.html)

And there you have it - my version of ACKS angels using just the core book and Players' Companion. Comments, critiques, notes for future creations, unabashed praise :smallbiggrin:?