PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed D&D a spring made from ferroplasm cable

you randomly
2016-07-29, 09:13 PM
i thought came into my head recently that if you made a ferroplasm cable it could have some interesting uses just as generally versatile item.
but then i thought what if the forged shaped was a tightly wound spring and then you took this ferroplasm cable cable and loosely wrapped it around someone/something how much force would it use trying to get back to the coil, enough to constrain the BBEG or enough to kill him?, could you break items with it?
i know the main answer is most likely going to be ask your GM, so i have put some thought into this and i think that my GM would rule (i have yet to ask him) that it depends on the strength of the manifester

i would like to know what you as a GM would rule this materiel would do in this situation.

Zale
2016-07-29, 09:20 PM
This Ferroplasm (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/ferroplasm)?

I'm not sure I understand the question within the context of this material. Could you elaborate on if this source is the correct one; if so, what this spring is supposed to accomplish?

you randomly
2016-07-29, 09:32 PM
This Ferroplasm (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/ferroplasm)?

I'm not sure I understand the question within the context of this material. Could you elaborate on if this source is the correct one; if so, what this spring is supposed to accomplish?

yes i am talking about that materiel, to eexplain further the spring is just a fairly basic shape for the ferroplasm cable to be made into it so that it can wrap around something when you do not apply psionic energy to it it is rubber now this is where it is abit grey but assuming it is rubbery enough expand the radius of the spring to get it around something such as a person or object and then you expend the 1 PP required to harden the ferroplasm cable would it just contract untill it hit a solid object or would it apply for to what ever it hits as it attempts to return to its forged shape?
if you the second option then how much force could it apply to the solid object?

i hope this helps clear up the question, or maybe my understanding of the material is off.

Extra Anchovies
2016-07-29, 11:30 PM
The language used for how ferroplasm reacts to being held by a nonpsionic creature is as follows.

Weapons crafted of it lose their edge or become rubbery; armor becomes spongy, granting no armor bonus; and similar effects for other items.
It does use the term "rubbery", but it seems to me that the material retains some of its rigidity and shape, just not enough to function as a weapon or armor. I don't think a tight ferroplasm coil would become something you could toss like rope.