PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Opinions about Fighter 3 (B. Master)/Paladin 2/Sorcerer (Fav. Soul)15 gish build

Carlos Barreto
2016-07-30, 12:06 AM
Greetings, buddies.

First, I would like to state that this post is a follow-up of this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?476390-Favored-Soul-Sorcerer-Best-Domains-Feats-and-suggestions).

The original thread was mean to build a Fighter (Battle Master) or Paladin 3/Favored Soul Sorcerer. The idea was to be a sort of gish, capable of playing respectably in melee action while being able to blast hordes of enemies with those beloved area of effect spells. On top of that, capable of using level 9 spells. All with heavy weapons and heavy armor.

On the other hand, I came to think that perhaps would be a good idea to sacrifice that late level 9 spells (acquired at level 20 in the previous build, should I mention) for a little bit of martial prowess, earned much earlier.

That's the idea:

Start level 1 as a Fighter. Constitution save is precious and we don't want to waste feats. Heavy Armor proficiency is also a much desired bonus.
Follow the next levels (minimum 6, but it could be 7 or 8) as a Sorcerer to earn Extra Attack. So now (level 7), you attack twice, just like the other martial class. Fireball and Lightning bolts are also a sweet addition for blasting the hordes, among other useful spells.
Take 2 levels as a Paladin. Divine Smite is the reason. An extra Fighting Style is surely appreciated (Defense). Lay on Hands may be handy sometimes.
Two more Fighter levels, gaining access to Action Surge and Battle Master Maneuvers.

Riposte: Combined with high AC and Blur/Greater Invisibility, enemies will miss you often, so you can use your Reaction to attack them.
Precision Attack: Just the case you miss your target, even with advantage. It helps to compensate the -5/+10 from Great Weapon Master feat.
Disarming Attack or Menacing Attack: Not sure yet. Both are really good, just with different effects.

Finally, proceed taking Sorcerer levels. After all, Sorcerer is the chassis of this build.

By doing that, you will sacrifice some features (when compared to level 20 character):

Sorcerous restoration (it was a meh ability anyway. I'm not gonna miss that);

Level 17 metamagic (I guess it's ok);
Level 9 spells (yes, that's sad);
One less spell (for a total of 14 instead of 15 spells. That's bad too).
Two less ASIs/Feats (another pain in the neck loss).

What you gain:

2 attacks, just like a Paladin;
Divine Smite, just like a Paladin;
Action Surge, just like a Fighter;
Maneuvers, just like a Battle Master Fighter.

How to go Nova?

Use Quickened Spell metamagic to cast Hold Person/Monster spell as a bonus action. Once the target is locked, follow the spell by attacking with advantage (and remember: every hit is a critical); so it's a good oportunity to use your -5/+10 from Great Weapon Master. If you miss, use Precision Attack maneuver. Once you hit, Smite!! Do the same with your Extra Attack. Use Action Surge, repeating the same Smite attacks that will cause double damage. Use maneuvers to boost the damage even further (and the superiority dice also doubles with critical).

If everything works fine, final damage would se something like 16d6+40d8* + Str. mod. x4 + 40. Average damage is 301,66 (considering a Str. mod. of +3 and no bônus from magical weapon).

* or more, if the target is a demon or you use maneuvers. Undead monsters are imune to this strategy.

Sure, that will cost a lot of spell slots and superiority dice, but it might worth.

So, what do you think, guys? Does it looks like a good gish build?

Specter
2016-07-30, 12:21 AM
If you're going Fighter, go Champion. Critical smites are much more frequent that way, and they hurt.

Carlos Barreto
2016-07-30, 12:41 AM
If you're going Fighter, go Champion. Critical smites are much more frequent that way, and they hurt.

Hold Person/Monster makes every attack to be a critical.
That said, I think Champion is so lackluster. Maneuvers seems to be a better bang.

R.Shackleford
2016-07-30, 04:56 AM
Hold Person/Monster makes every attack to be a critical.
That said, I think Champion is so lackluster. Maneuvers seems to be a better bang.

Eh...

Maneuvers really aren't that great. All the ones you have picked out either focuses on damage (which you will already doing tons of) or a maneuver that doesn't come up much (disarming). Menacing is a good maneuver but you have access to a spell called Fear. Quicken fear? Yes.

Want to disarm? Hold Person does a great job at disarming creatures. Paralyzed leads to critical hits, critical hits lead to unconscious, unconscious leads to being disarmed.

Riposte would be the only reason to go BM and it really isn't worth it for just riposte.

If you are going to take fighter, go with champion, your "cool things" will come from Paladin and Sorcerer. You may be getting a crit from hold person but hold person doesn't work on everything.

Shogon
2016-07-30, 06:23 AM
So the biggest problem as you noted is the ASIs. You didn't specify what level this character is starting at but mention you like the early power it brings, so let's assume level 1. You'd have to go V. human for great weapon mastery, and can bump your strength up to 18 at character level 5. So far so good. However your next ASI doesnt come until character level 13. You are going to have to choose do i increase strength for GWM or cha for hold person. Hold person is a wisdom save and if you leave it at 16 cha your going to miss more often than not for no effect at that level, but if you don't bump strength then GWM suffers.

Your combo relies on a high strength and high cha, but the character doesn't have the ASI to get it.

R.Shackleford
2016-07-30, 06:28 AM
So the biggest problem as you noted is the ASIs. You didn't specify what level this character is starting at but mention you like the early power it brings, so let's assume level 1. You'd have to go V. human for great weapon mastery, and can bump your strength up to 18 at character level 5. So far so good. However your next ASI doesnt come until character level 13. You are going to have to choose do i increase strength for GWM or cha for hold person. Hold person is a wisdom save and if you leave it at 16 cha your going to miss more often than not for no effect at that level, but if you don't bump strength then GWM suffers.

Your combo relies on a high strength and high cha, but the character doesn't have the ASI to get it.

Personally, I would ditch the Fighter levels for more Paladin.

You really only *need* an 18 in your main stat by high levels.

Paladin 4/Sorcerer 16 would work well enough and give you some ASI flexibility.

gkathellar
2016-07-30, 06:33 AM
Personally, I would ditch the Fighter levels for more Paladin.

You really only *need* an 18 in your main stat by high levels.

Paladin 4/Sorcerer 16 would work well enough and give you some ASI flexibility.

+1. Fighter's not adding a whole lot, here. Either go Paladin 2/Sorcerer 18 and get all of your metamagic and origin features, or do Paladin 4/ Sorcerer 16 and get the ASI.

R.Shackleford
2016-07-30, 06:48 AM
+1. Fighter's not adding a whole lot, here. Either go Paladin 2/Sorcerer 18 and get all of your metamagic and origin features, or do Paladin 4/ Sorcerer 16 and get the ASI.

Another option would be Paladin 6 or 8

Aura of Protection and the 7th level feature can be quite awesome.

I would probably stay at 4, but those are options that can work nicely.

Also OP, I didn't break down your math but just so you know, the max smite damage per smite you can do with spell, regardless of spell level, is 5d8.

So if you use an 8th level spell to fuel smite, you will be doing 5d8 damage.

Zman
2016-07-30, 08:42 AM
How is Sorcerer levels granting you extra attack??

Anyway, this build lacks ASI and really struggles though some of the mid levels.

Go Sorcerer1, Palading2, Sorcerer+ and be good. What is Fighter really getting you besides heavy armor and a couple hit points?

R.Shackleford
2016-07-30, 09:10 AM
How is Sorcerer levels granting you extra attack??

Anyway, this build lacks ASI and really struggles though some of the mid levels.

Go Sorcerer1, Palading2, Sorcerer+ and be good. What is Fighter really getting you besides heavy armor and a couple hit points?

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/modifying-classes

Zman
2016-07-30, 01:44 PM
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/modifying-classes

Ahh, favored soul.

Citan
2016-08-06, 04:15 PM
Greetings, buddies.

First, I would like to state that this post is a follow-up of this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?476390-Favored-Soul-Sorcerer-Best-Domains-Feats-and-suggestions).

The original thread was mean to build a Fighter (Battle Master) or Paladin 3/Favored Soul Sorcerer. The idea was to be a sort of gish, capable of playing respectably in melee action while being able to blast hordes of enemies with those beloved area of effect spells. On top of that, capable of using level 9 spells. All with heavy weapons and heavy armor.

On the other hand, I came to think that perhaps would be a good idea to sacrifice that late level 9 spells (acquired at level 20 in the previous build, should I mention) for a little bit of martial prowess, earned much earlier.

That's the idea:
Battlemaster 3 / Paladin 2 / Sorcerer 15
So, what do you think, guys? Does it looks like a good gish build?
Hi! :)
Well, it certainly works. I'm not sure there is not some redundancy though...
A few considerations.

1. Extra Attack can be good, but as Sorcerer you can get access to SCAG cantrips. If the latter are allowed, as far as damage goes, you will deal at least the same damage or better in the end with the cantrips, along with a nice rider. If you planned on going STR and grapple/shove though, Extra Attack is worth.

2. Manoeuvers can be great, but since you want 2 levels of Paladin already for smiting, you could very well take more Paladin levels instead:
- Precision Attack can be replaced with Oath of Devotion or Vengeance, which gives hefty bonus for a whole fight.
- Riposte is nice but you will have other choices for reaction: Shield for emergencies, basic opportunity attacks, or you could go Paladin 4 and take Sentinel or Warcaster feat.

3. Another Fighting Style is nice, but not good enough to justify a dip all by itself imo.

So, in the end, the real added value of Fighter are...
- Constitution saving throw + heavy armor if you start as Fighter.
- Action Surge.

Making it a very good choice if you plan on using many concentration spells and using a Strength weapon. Which seems the case since you're speaking of GWM.

To keep basically the same concept (perks&flaws) but with a small twist, you could go Eldricht Knight 3 / Paladin (Devotion or Vengeance) 3 / Sorcerer 14. You lose 7th level spell, which is very sad, but you...
- Keep the same number of spell slots.
- Gain a few additional spells and cantrips (Shield, GFB), freeing a bit of space for Sorcerer spells learning.
- And either +CHA or advantage on weapon attacks. Preferably Vengeance in this case because you will want to max STR first and have lesser ASI than usual, so +CHA have a chance to be lackluster, while Vengeance fits perfectly mechanically and conceptually.

Or go Fighter 2 / Paladin 2 / Sorcerer 16 to keep Action Surge but still get another ASI which could prove useful (unless you roll stats, and roll good).

Although I think my first suggested modification is better, because auto-advantage on attacks would be great for you, even more than for others since probably lesser STR from lvl 1 to lvl 10 at least. And being capped at 6th level spells is acceptable to me for a melee nova gish. :)

Hope that helps. ;)

Lombra
2016-08-06, 05:59 PM
Don't you need to use your paladin spell slots to smite? They wouldn't work with the sorcerer's ones. A much more effective build would be pally 6/sorc x: high martial capablilities, aura, good lay on hands and good spells from the sorcerer's list

Rysto
2016-08-06, 06:07 PM
There's no such thing as a "Paladin" spell slot. The Divine Smite text is wrong. There might even be errata to that effect?

R.Shackleford
2016-08-06, 06:07 PM
Don't you need to use your paladin spell slots to smite? They wouldn't work with the sorcerer's ones. A much more effective build would be pally 6/sorc x: high martial capablilities, aura, good lay on hands and good spells from the sorcerer's list

No, not at all.

Lombra
2016-08-06, 06:16 PM
There's no such thing as a "Paladin" spell slot. The Divine Smite text is wrong. There might even be errata to that effect?

I read an errata and there wasn't anything about smites, but the book states "paladin spell slots" which to me makes sense because multiclassing in a full caster to improve much more quickly your class ability sounds odd. I do know how to count the effective slots that a character have, in fact the wording of the smite ability startled me at first, so I tried to reinterpretate that as an exception to fit it in the theme of the class. Appearently I'm wrong.

Kidbuu51
2016-08-08, 09:49 AM
the only oroblem here is you dont get your extra attack. you must be paladin 5 of fighter 5 to get it. paladin 2 plus fight 3 does not equal extra attack.

BurchardOfEn
2016-08-08, 10:11 AM
You're right and wrong, Kidbuu51. This build would get Extra Attack, but it wouldn't get it from Fighter or Paladin. The Favored Soul Sorcerer Archetype has Extra Attack as its 6th level feature similar to the Bladesinger (note: reminder to someone that if a hotfix is made for the Bladesinger that Favored Soul should get a similar one).

djreynolds
2016-08-08, 10:50 PM
Every build I make, I try having wisdom and constitution saving throws proficiency. So I would dump fighter. It only delays your casting and spell slots you can smite with. Paladin/sorcerer is almost too easy to build.
Aside from precision to help land hits, you have access to bless and the shield spell.

12 paladin/8 sorcerer anything is perfect. Or 6 paladin/ 14 sorcerer.

Citan
2016-08-09, 03:17 AM
Every build I make, I try having wisdom and constitution saving throws proficiency. So I would dump fighter. It only delays your casting and spell slots you can smite with. Paladin/sorcerer is almost too easy to build.
Aside from precision to help land hits, you have access to bless and the shield spell.

12 paladin/8 sorcerer anything is perfect. Or 6 paladin/ 14 sorcerer.
Your post seems a bit strange to me. :)

First, you wave aside OP's will without second thoughts, like it was just a bad idea, but it works well and Fighter part may be important in it for OP, either mechanically (additional Fighting Style, Action Surge that is great for spellcasters) or thematically.

Second, having both Wisdom and Constitution saving throws proficiencies is plain impossible by the sole fact of multiclassing.
If you start Paladin, you get Wisdom and Charisma.
If you start Sorcerer, you get Constitution and Charisma.
You don't get saving throws proficiencies from the other class.
So you will have to spend an ASI on the Resilient Feat either way.
And since the build relies only on STR and CHA, it should be doable to max STR and still have space for some feats.
So it would be nice but not strictly required to tweak the build for another ASI (like abandoning Battlemaster for Sorcerer 16).

Third, in the alternative builds you suggest, there is Extra Attack overlap unless OP chooses another Sorcerous Origin, but he may very well want very much the extra spell learning or free flying.

So, sure, your suggestions are good and work well. But they will probably wander too far away from OP's idea, which work very well in its own. ;)

djreynolds
2016-08-09, 12:14 PM
The OP, IMO, would be better served if stayed paladin and sorcerer and just took resilient con. Then he would have plate mail and wisdom and con save proficiency. The fighter is a fine addition but it will slow down his access to new and more powerful spells and the ASI to increase his stats, especially his spell DC, and access to class features.

His whole party wants that 6th level aura of protection. Two many classes for a build that needs to max out charisma and have athe least a 16 to 20 in strength.

Every level of battle master will put him behind on getting spells like haste, or his paladin domain spells, or favored soul domain spells.

He just needs, Humbly, 2 attacks to make sure he is able to land that smite for melee. He needs plenty of spell slots so he can spam the shield spell, smite, and have the freedom to have what concentration spell is best for the situation.

I think 3 levels of battlemaster, is pricey.

Klorox
2016-08-10, 12:38 AM
I'm in love with the paladin/sorcerer for power reasons in this edition. That being said, I'm going to chime in and agree with the "ditch the fighter" mantra.

I like going paladin 6 (or 7 if you're OotA), and then switching to sorcerer for the rest of the game. The saving throw bonus is just so good. It makes it much easier to live with not taking resilient (CON), because I'm in the same boat as djreynolds, thinking you really want good saves in CON and WIS.

If you want some sorcerer early, I'd suggest character level 2 or 3 as a sorcerer, so you're only delaying that extra attack by one level. This way you also get the shield spell, which alone will really increase your survivability.

All that being said, the build you propose isn't a bad one, I just prefer to not be slowed down by those fighter levels.

Klorox
2016-08-10, 12:40 AM
Your post seems a bit strange to me. :)

First, you wave aside OP's will without second thoughts, like it was just a bad idea, but it works well and Fighter part may be important in it for OP, either mechanically (additional Fighting Style, Action Surge that is great for spellcasters) or thematically.

Second, having both Wisdom and Constitution saving throws proficiencies is plain impossible by the sole fact of multiclassing.
If you start Paladin, you get Wisdom and Charisma.
If you start Sorcerer, you get Constitution and Charisma.
You don't get saving throws proficiencies from the other class.
So you will have to spend an ASI on the Resilient Feat either way.
And since the build relies only on STR and CHA, it should be doable to max STR and still have space for some feats.
So it would be nice but not strictly required to tweak the build for another ASI (like abandoning Battlemaster for Sorcerer 16).

Third, in the alternative builds you suggest, there is Extra Attack overlap unless OP chooses another Sorcerous Origin, but he may very well want very much the extra spell learning or free flying.

So, sure, your suggestions are good and work well. But they will probably wander too far away from OP's idea, which work very well in its own. ;)
OP did ask for opinions on his build. The response was an opinion, albeit maybe not the one the OP was hoping for.

Citan
2016-08-10, 02:12 AM
OP did ask for opinions on his build. The response was an opinion, albeit maybe not the one the OP was hoping for.
You know, the funny thing is, that if I had to build a mix similar to this, I would also build it purely as Paladin / Sorcerer. Mainly because of the Aura. ^^
So I actually agree with you both in that alternative builds are as good as OP's ones, or better, depending on the party, situation and playstyle.

What puzzled me in the post I quoted was just the way OP's build was ditched out like "it's just not good enough", and that I to reply to it to actually get a factual argument. ;)
Especially when OP made it clear that Action Surge was important to him for his nova, and no argument was made against that.

Who cares if it's not the "best", as long as it is "good enough"? :) Unless of course OP had wanted optimization options, which was not the case. But anyways. I'll stop on this matter, no use making a mountain over a detail.

djreynolds
2016-08-10, 09:36 AM
He could try it another way. And possibly get more. He could go 6 battlemaster, 2 paladin and grab smite and cure wounds, and 12 sorcerer. He'd still get 5 ASI and enough slots to nova.

If he rolls well for stats his proposed build will work fine.

Carlos Barreto
2016-08-21, 07:46 PM
Hey, guys. Thanks for the feedback. And I'm sorry for taking so long to reply.

I was thinking about the Battle Master Maneuvers issue stated by R.Shackleford. And he may have a good points: Only Riposte is really that great; the other 2 maneuvers aren't really that great to compensate the trade of an ASI.

That was a kind of flavor while trying to take the best shot for it.

So what about Fighter 2/Paladin 2/Sorcerer 16?

So let's see what we got...

Cons:

Loses 9th level spells (that's sad)
Loses 1 Metamagic (not so sad)
Loses 1 spell (14 out of 15)

Pros:

Two Fighting-Styles (Great Weapon Fighting and Defense Fighting Styles)
Action Surge
Smite
2 Paladin spells (kind of meh, but it's ok)

So that way, this guy still has 4 ASIs. Not that bad for a guy who can smash 4 Divine Smites in a single turn, preferably in a target locked with Hold Person spell. And against multiple targets, there're Fireball, Lightning Bolt and Cone of Cold (I'm also considering Circle of Death as a huge AoE spell).

So as you can see, the Quickened Hold Person + Divine Smite + Action Surge is the key of this build.

So what do you think? Does it looks better?

ATHATH
2016-08-21, 09:45 PM
I recommend replacing Fighter 2 with Variant Ranger 1 (http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/DX_0907_UA_RangerOptions.pdf). Ambuscade is effectively a slightly-debuffed action surge that you get once per encounter instead of once per rest.

Suggestion for your attack routine: Against high-save targets, I recommend quickening a SCAG cantrip and boosting it with a smite instead of quickening a Hold Person.

Could someone do the math to determine what save bonus/AC scores are required for my suggestion to deal more damage than the Hold Person routine?

Klorox
2016-08-22, 01:13 AM
My question for build like this is always "what order are you taking your levels in?"

I ask because, when you reach a (probably theoretical) level 20, I'm sure your character will be awesome. But, assuming you plan on taking that fighter 2 and paladin 2 at the beginning, are you okay playing a character who gets one attack per round for five levels while all the single classed tanks have two?

IMHO, multiclassing is a lot nicer on paper in 5e than it is in actual gameplay.

Citan
2016-09-05, 10:17 AM
Hey, guys. Thanks for the feedback. And I'm sorry for taking so long to reply.

I was thinking about the Battle Master Maneuvers issue stated by R.Shackleford. And he may have a good points: Only Riposte is really that great; the other 2 maneuvers aren't really that great to compensate the trade of an ASI.

That was a kind of flavor while trying to take the best shot for it.

So what about Fighter 2/Paladin 2/Sorcerer 16?

So let's see what we got...

Cons:

Loses 9th level spells (that's sad)
Loses 1 Metamagic (not so sad)
Loses 1 spell (14 out of 15)

Pros:

Two Fighting-Styles (Great Weapon Fighting and Defense Fighting Styles)
Action Surge
Smite
2 Paladin spells (kind of meh, but it's ok)

So that way, this guy still has 4 ASIs. Not that bad for a guy who can smash 4 Divine Smites in a single turn, preferably in a target locked with Hold Person spell. And against multiple targets, there're Fireball, Lightning Bolt and Cone of Cold (I'm also considering Circle of Death as a huge AoE spell).

So as you can see, the Quickened Hold Person + Divine Smite + Action Surge is the key of this build.

So what do you think? Does it looks better?
It does look better. ;)
Start Fighter because you will want good Concentration more than anything else.
Immediately after take Sorcerer 1 to get weapon cantrips.
Now... Either take Paladin 2 now because you want to Bless yourself.
Or continue Sorcerer up to 5 to get Hold Person and Slow/Haste.

At this step, either you feel you hit/cast with enough reliability to not go for ASI, in which case you can take Fighter 2 then Paladin 2.
Or, you feel like you need it, then go Sorcerer 8 first.

Either way, you will have to make a choice.
Either make the "build" online ASAP, but you will feel weak as a Sorcerer (and to be honest, as far as Smite goes, you won't have that many slots to spend, so I'd suggest making the Paladin dip as far as possible if you don't plan on relying on Bless for yourself and friends).
Or pump Sorcerer first but you will wait for quite some time before you can have fun with your combo (I still think it's better this way though.

DeathEatsCurry
2016-09-06, 07:46 PM
Eh...

Maneuvers really aren't that great. All the ones you have picked out either focuses on damage (which you will already doing tons of) or a maneuver that doesn't come up much (disarming). Menacing is a good maneuver but you have access to a spell called Fear. Quicken fear? Yes.

Want to disarm? Hold Person does a great job at disarming creatures. Paralyzed leads to critical hits, critical hits lead to unconscious, unconscious leads to being disarmed.

Riposte would be the only reason to go BM and it really isn't worth it for just riposte.

If you are going to take fighter, go with champion, your "cool things" will come from Paladin and Sorcerer. You may be getting a crit from hold person but hold person doesn't work on everything.

How is Champion any different, if anything it focuses MORE on damage and simplicity than the BM. Maneuvers are that great. Trip Attack is amazing, and your point that you do tons of damage anyways is a bit moot. IF you are focusing on damage (which by no means is a must), THEN more damage isn't a bad thing. The fact you get a generous helping of maneuvers helps conserve spell slots. Why waste a slot just to disarm, when you can hold onto that slot for a more threatening foe? Champion's level 3 is great, but ONLY if you can reliably score advantage. IIRC, with advantage, a Champion 3 has a 19% crit chance, which is obviously great. The problem with this is that focusing on a chance based mechanic when your whole shtick is nuking someone with Smites, is that it's unreliable. Maneuvers on the other hand, allow for a consistent, high die nova.

Corran
2016-09-06, 08:28 PM
It does look better. ;)
Start Fighter because you will want good Concentration more than anything else.

Personally, I really dont like leaving characters like the one discussed here vulnerable to wisdom targeting effects. So I try to plan for both con and wis save proficiency, no matter how feat or ASI hungry my build is. If this is the case for the op too, resilient must be taken, and since resilient con is better than resilient wis, simply because con is better than wis for the build in question, I would recommend starting as a paladin for wis save prof instead (besides, resilient con is helping a bit with the stats too). If the op is cool with leaving wis saves exposed, then starting as a fighter as you suggested is the better option, because con save prof will be much needed.

@OP: Since you want both action surge and smites, hence at least a 2 level dip in both paladin and fighter, and since I see that your aim is to take the extra attack from FS sorcerer and that your primary fighting style is GWF, I have to ask: do you intend to take GWM? If yes, and assuming that you will want to use it from as early as possible, I would recommend prioritizing your sorcerer progression (after the starting level being on either paladin or fighter, depending on if you intend on not leaving your wis saves exposed) up to at least sorcerer 7. Sorcerer (fs) 6 will give you extra attack (2 levels later than martials, but as soon as you can realistically allow given your core idea), but I would advise getting that 7th level in sorcerer right after the 6th (extra attack), due to how greater invisibility can help you with GWM'ing (and with tanking obviously). A trully great spell for GWM gishes. Definitely twin it if you have a rogue in your party, or a GWM/SS ally who cannot reliably create advantage for themselves, to include them. You might think that haste will have you covered, but without going into a lot of detail, I would warn you against haste if your concentration is not amazing. So prioritize gr invisibility if you are only one level away from grabbing it (since at sorc 6 you get extra attack).
Also, I would advise considering a 3rd level in either paladin (devotion or vengeance) or fighter (battlemaster), in order to get an additional way to gr invisibility to support GWM. 4th level spell slots are not unlimited... and GWM would benefit from (or more accurately needs) the additional support.

djreynolds
2016-09-07, 02:29 AM
Yes thank you, you want con and wisdom saving throw proficiency. They are both huge. Every fighter I play at 6th, I take resilient wisdom. You need both.

Citan
2016-09-07, 05:20 AM
Personally, I really dont like leaving characters like the one discussed here vulnerable to wisdom targeting effects. So I try to plan for both con and wis save proficiency, no matter how feat or ASI hungry my build is.
I agree with this (having both WIS and CON proficiencies is great for anyone) but not the remaining of your post. For a simple reason.
Constitution proficiency helps against some necrotic spells, and EVERY INSTANCE OF DAMAGE the character will take.
Wisdom helps against domination/charm/frighten effects mainly.

So, the player will be exposed to losing concentration from the first fight onwards.
Imo, the Wisdom targeting spells will be a rare occurence until he reaches character level 6-7 at the minimum, or later, depending on campaign and DM taste.
Hence getting Constitution proficiency seems better to me because he will have concentration spells to maintain very early in his carreer. Especially since he will want to bump STR and CHA, so not much space to bump CON, meaning that without proficiency, only +2 (CON 14). With proficiency, you immediately double the bonus, limiting that much the part of pure luck. :)