PDA

View Full Version : Savage Speciesing the Yuki-On-Na

Someguy231
2016-07-30, 01:59 AM
So, I'm in a eastern themed campaign right now, and I was thinking for a back up character, I wanted to play as a Yuki-On-Na from Frostburn (updated version of same monster from Oriental Adventures). Since it has 8 get HD, and a LA of +4, I was wondering if the Savage Species rules can apply to the snow lady.

Troacctid
2016-07-30, 02:17 AM
Sure, but you'll have to work with your DM to create your own progression for it.

Gildedragon
2016-07-30, 08:44 AM
Well using the CR instead of LA + HD for the number of levels feels better
"But Guigarci" I hear you say "isn't the CR system horribly out of whack"
Perhaps, but no more than the monstrous LAs

Let's see... CR 4 but ECL 12?!!!!?!?! Something is wrong here (in terms of playability)
Kay so for PCs Lose Way is USELESS 9 out of 10 times
Paralyzing Stare: Hold Monster as an SLA
+2 Dex and Int +4 Wis +6 Cha (assuming 2 per-4HD points went to the biggest stat)

And three piddly level 1 and 2 spells (detect thoughts being the most useful one there)

The best ability by far is paralyzing Stare (which is a 5th level spell at will) but other than that (and having great caster stats) this fairy is kinda weak (hence being only CR 4)

Make it an 8 level class. Paralyzing Stare being the capstone.
Lvl 1 SLAs come in at 1nd level (1/day), 3rd (3/day), 6th (at will); detect thoughts comes on at 2nd (1/day), 4th (3), and 7th

Lose Way: Give it at 1st
Break the 12 ability score bonuses over the 8 levels

Actually 8 levels might be a bit high...
Couple things to take into consideration)
The YON's stats set her up for party face... And maybe caster or sneak attacker (Gaze and sneak attack)

BUT by the time she gets her gaze on: freedom of movement has already been available for a bit... And will only get more common
Immunity to enchantment isn't that rare
And she is useless against a mob

I might even drop the class to 4HD and start her off with hold person, and when she class levels up to 8HD upgrade to hold monster

OldTrees1
2016-07-30, 09:24 AM
There are not enough value in the racial features to justify 8 levels even before realizing that Fey HD are weak compared to PC class HD(ignoring class features). However Hold Monster at will would be out of place much lower than 8th. Guigarci has the right idea about dropping it to less than 8 levels and having Paralyzing Gaze continue to upgrade later (ala Dragonborn/Raptorian Wings)

Given the HD are weak, I estimate each HD deserves 125% of a level's worth of features (including later growth). Personally I estimate barely 5 level's worth of class features so I agree that a 4 level (4RHD +0LA) class with an upgrade to the Gaze at ECL 8 would be appropriate. So personally I would take Guigarci's 8 level model and divide the levels in half(round up of course) to get a new 4 level model (with Guigarci's Hold Person -> Hold Monster @ 8th proposal).

However ECL estimating is group dependent. So what are other people playing (depending on the answer you might need to lengthen or shorten the monster class)?

Someguy231
2016-07-30, 01:31 PM
The party currently has a fire shugenja, a Wu jen, a necropolitan necromancer, a pyrokineticist, a catfolk monk, a half-elf samurai paladin multi, and then there's me which is currently a winged dragonborn warblade with a dip in ranger.

We're currently at lvl 9-10 for party level

OldTrees1
2016-07-30, 03:52 PM
A bit all over the place then. I think the 4 level 4HD +0LA version will fit.