PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Path of War Mystic Charisma based

Feint's End
2016-07-30, 08:09 AM
Did I see correctly that there is no charisma based archetype for the Mystic anymore? That's a shame since I was looking for a way to play one at some point in the future. I always felt as if the class overall warrants charisma more than wisdom.

Is there any way to change the initiating attribute or was there a suggestion on how to still get charisma based? Maybe I have overlooked something, so please correct me if I'm wrong..

MilleniaAntares
2016-07-30, 01:24 PM
If you get their April Unleashed release, you can dip the Daring Hero PrC to change everything to be cha based.

CGNefarious
2016-07-30, 01:25 PM
You could take the Daring Hero prestige class from their April Augmented release. It changes all you initiator class features to be based off Charisma.

Lord_Gareth
2016-07-30, 01:40 PM
Did I see correctly that there is no charisma based archetype for the Mystic anymore? That's a shame since I was looking for a way to play one at some point in the future. I always felt as if the class overall warrants charisma more than wisdom.

Is there any way to change the initiating attribute or was there a suggestion on how to still get charisma based? Maybe I have overlooked something, so please correct me if I'm wrong..

It ended up getting cut for reasons not related to it being Charisma based (to wit, massive changes in how the Mystic's glyphs worked ended up gutting its core mechanical identity). Both Chris and the team have an interest in a Cha-based Mystic happening, it's just a question of finding it a good mechanical & flavor-based home.

Ninjaxenomorph
2016-07-30, 02:39 PM
Since fluff-wise they are similar to sorcerers, why not one with something similar to a bloodline?

Lord_Gareth
2016-07-30, 03:21 PM
Since fluff-wise they are similar to sorcerers, why not one with something similar to a bloodline?

Because they aren't, and because bloodlines come with a ton of baggage that we're not going to touch or lift.

Ninjaxenomorph
2016-07-30, 03:32 PM
"Born with an untamed magical power buried deep within his soul, the mystic is a warrior who, much like a sorcerer, is filled with untapped energies."

Pardon me if I misinterpreted that.

Lord_Gareth
2016-07-30, 03:33 PM
"Born with an untamed magical power buried deep within his soul, the mystic is a warrior who, much like a sorcerer, is filled with untapped energies."

Pardon me if I misinterpreted that.

"My ancestors couldn't keep it in their pants,"

vs.

"I have a bad case of exploding to death if I don't pay attention."

Ninjaxenomorph
2016-07-30, 03:44 PM
Sorcerer bloodlines don't exclusively (in fact, it's not that common, really) come from an interbreeding, they're normally just about what happened to an ancestor (though I particularly like the undead 'stillborn that came back to life' reason). It was just a suggestion, bringing in one of the most recognizable features of one of the most charisma-based classes in the game that the mystic is compared to in the first sentence of their description. It's not like other archetypes for initiating classes haven't done the same, like the Ordained Defender giving a inquisition or blessing.

Lord_Gareth
2016-07-30, 04:07 PM
Sorcerer bloodlines don't exclusively (in fact, it's not that common, really) come from an interbreeding, they're normally just about what happened to an ancestor (though I particularly like the undead 'stillborn that came back to life' reason). It was just a suggestion, bringing in one of the most recognizable features of one of the most charisma-based classes in the game that the mystic is compared to in the first sentence of their description. It's not like other archetypes for initiating classes haven't done the same, like the Ordained Defender giving a inquisition or blessing.

It's not happening. Mystic's not about heritage and you vastly underestimate the amount of work that would be required - demanded, really - if we made such an archetype, starting with the expectation that we make a compatible equivalent for every current bloodline, to say nothing of the future-proofing since new bloodlines seem to crop up like weeds. And that's a lot of effort to do something that's completely conceptually lazy.

Or we can do literally anything else, and ask you to be patient.

We're gonna do literally anything else.

Feint's End
2016-07-30, 04:22 PM
It ended up getting cut for reasons not related to it being Charisma based (to wit, massive changes in how the Mystic's glyphs worked ended up gutting its core mechanical identity). Both Chris and the team have an interest in a Cha-based Mystic happening, it's just a question of finding it a good mechanical & flavor-based home.

Yeah I recall something like that, with the Archetype being overloaded and such. Well thanks for the answer. As I really appriciate Dreamscarred Press' work on Path of War and them working with the community I imagine they had good reason to take it out. Hoping they'll get to releasing a charisma based one at some point through a supplement then it is. I'm sure you guys will find something popping :smallsmile:.

In the meantime thanks everybody for pointing me at that PRC. I really don't want to dip around but it might be my best shot :smalltongue:.

Lord_Gareth
2016-07-30, 04:26 PM
Yeah I recall something like that, with the Archetype being overloaded and such. Well thanks for the answer. As I really appriciate Dreamscarred Press' work on Path of War and them working with the community I imagine they had good reason to take it out. Hoping they'll get to releasing a charisma based one at some point through a supplement then it is. I'm sure you guys will find something popping :smallsmile:.

It was honestly the glyphs thing. Mystic's glyphs used to be super different and the archetype emphasized them, but when they changed we didn't have a good way to salvage it. The material, glyph-wise, that was in the archetype became the Animus Adept PrC.

Feint's End
2016-07-30, 04:50 PM
Okok .... I just came back to THROW MONEY AT THE CREATOR OF APRIL AUGMENTED. How genius is that document :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbi ggrin:.

Finally somebody did it ... and made the Daring Hero Class we always needed and deserved. 10/10 would buy again.

@Lord Gareth: Thanks for taking the time to clarify! I guess that would make sense then.

Ninjaxenomorph
2016-07-30, 05:48 PM
I might not have argued if you didn't sound so condescending. I realize that would be a lot of unnecessary work for something that would be instantly outdated; I threw an idea at the wall, it didn't stick. I appreciate you pointing out the problems, but I'm not a dribbling idiot.

Anlashok
2016-07-31, 01:10 AM
It was honestly the glyphs thing. Mystic's glyphs used to be super different and the archetype emphasized them, but when they changed we didn't have a good way to salvage it. The material, glyph-wise, that was in the archetype became the Animus Adept PrC.

That makes a lot more sense. I thought I remembered people in the PoW:E Playtest thread saying it got removed because of its length. Which always confused me when I had to scroll past the gargantuan mess that is the Knight Chandler in my copy of the book.

It's a shame though, the old mandala adept was a really, really interesting concept. Hopefully whatever you come up with next is just as cool.