PDA

View Full Version : One-Punch Man Challenge! (3.5)

carrdrivesyou
2016-07-30, 09:55 AM
Quite literally, I would like to make a character that punches things. So, I issue a challenge to everyone! No macguffins or Pun-pun, what is the most powerful unarmed attack you can come up with?

Bonus points for not using monk or fighter (even splashes).

Let's see what those minds can come up with!

Big Fau
2016-07-30, 10:04 AM
Quite literally, I would like to make a character that punches things. So, I issue a challenge to everyone! No macguffins or Pun-pun, what is the most powerful unarmed attack you can come up with?

Let's see what those minds can come up with!

Mandatory read. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1015.0)

Decisive Strike Monk is the way to go.

Gildedragon
2016-07-30, 10:06 AM
Race: half ogre half minotaur wild protocreature Goliath swordsage whirling frenzy barbarian
+18 str
Punches count as a huge creature
Uses mountain hammer to bypass hardness

Necroticplague
2016-07-30, 10:20 AM
Halfling Cleric 1/crusader 14 (can shave off several crusader levels using Martial Stance feat, though).
Feats:Imbued Healing, Improved Unarmed Strike.
Stance: Aura of Chaos.
Domain: Luck, any others.
Cast a conjuration (healing) spell. Now, for the next minute, all of your punches do an infinite amount of damage. Note that if you do anything to alter the damage die at all, this trick no longer works.

daremetoidareyo
2016-07-30, 10:35 AM
what you want is order of the bow initiate paired with craven, maiming strike, ring the golden bell and pharoah's touch. One punch, tons of charisma damage.

carrdrivesyou
2016-07-30, 10:45 AM
what you want is order of the bow initiate paired with craven, maiming strike, ring the golden bell and pharoah's touch. One punch, tons of charisma damage.

Please explain how this build works!

daremetoidareyo
2016-07-30, 11:25 AM
Please explain how this build works!

Basically it's the fuglimancer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19553550&postcount=248) with ring the golden bell to turn your punches into ranged attacks. Pharaohs fist is just gravy: you busy your opponents face so bad that it stuns everyone around him.

gorfnab
2016-07-30, 02:42 PM
Chicken Infested (flaw)+ Quick Draw (feat) + Improved Unarmed Strike (feat) + Greater Consumptive Field (spell)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Vegitto-Kun/Forum/Chickensgivemestrength1.jpg

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-07-30, 02:52 PM
Halfling Cleric 1/crusader 14 (can shave off several crusader levels using Martial Stance feat, though).
Feats:Imbued Healing, Improved Unarmed Strike.
Stance: Aura of Chaos.
Domain: Luck, any others.
Cast a conjuration (healing) spell. Now, for the next minute, all of your punches do an infinite amount of damage. Note that if you do anything to alter the damage die at all, this trick no longer works.I actually had this in mind when I entered this thread. Literally infinite damage. If you were a kobold and had Beast Strike, you could fire unarmed strikes off using the whirling blade spell to deal infinite damage in a 60' line. With Sculpt Spell, you could do that in other shapes, as well (including a cone).

Someguy231
2016-07-30, 06:40 PM
Go human warblade with improved unarmed and superior unarmed strike feats, and focus on maneuvers that grant hella damage. Mainly Stone Dragon.

LTwerewolf
2016-07-30, 06:44 PM
Halfling crusader/cleric.

Malroth
2016-07-30, 06:52 PM
Warlock With Superior Unarmed Strike, Eldritch Claws, Improved natural attack (claw) and Beast strike can fairly easily pull off 100+d6 Punches once you stack in the size in the size increases from Greater mighty Wallop

Mato
2016-07-31, 11:52 AM
Cast a conjuration (healing) spell. Now, for the next minute, all of your punches do an infinite amount of damage. Note that if you do anything to alter the damage die at all, this trick no longer works.That technically it doesn't work. Stance of chaos checks to see what the actual dice show and while imbue healing changes a result of 1 to a 2, the die's face and what it displays is still unchanged.

If you add morphing to a +5 manyfanged dagger it can turn into a gauntlet allowing you to deliver an unarmed strike with it. With superior unarmed strike and strike of perfect clarity at 34 strength a warblade can deal 8d6+468 with a single attack every other round.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-07-31, 11:59 AM
That technically it doesn't work. Stance of chaos checks to see what the actual dice show and while imbue healing changes a result of 1 to a 2, the die's face and what it displays is still unchanged.Imbued Healing (Luck Domain) treats any roll of 1 as though you've rolled a 2, and since aura of chaos checks to see what you've rolled, and Imbued Healing treats all rolls of 1 as though you've rolled a 2, and since 2 is the maximum amount on the die, aura of chaos adds another die to the damage rolled, which repeats the cycle.

In short, yes it does work, though it might be houseruled to not work at a given table.

Doc_Maynot
2016-07-31, 12:03 PM
Luck Devotion can be used for similar effect on non-spellcasters, though gaining turning some way (like through the Dragon Magazine, or Dragon Compendium feat chains) help.

Lets your below average damage rolls get set to average (rounded up). Which the average of 1d2 is 1.5, rounded up is 2.

Necroticplague
2016-07-31, 12:20 PM
Luck Devotion can be used for similar effect on non-spellcasters, though gaining turning some way (like through the Dragon Magazine, or Dragon Compendium feat chains) help.

Lets your below average damage rolls get set to average (rounded up). Which the average of 1d2 is 1.5, rounded up is 2.

Not quite true, and the distinction makes this not work. Luck devotion says that if the roll is below average, to set it to half of maximum, not to set it to average. Half of two is one, so luck devotion does nothing for a d2.

Mato
2016-07-31, 12:28 PM
In short, yes it does work, though it might be houseruled to not work at a given table.All you've done is missed what I've said. There is a difference between treating a result as a given value and what the die actually shows while you simplify them to being the same thing when they are not.

You are ignoring the details and it's fallacy's name is the fallacy of the single cause, also known as complex cause, causal oversimplification, causal reductionism, and reduction fallacy. No amount of repeating, on either side, will change that. If you would like an alternative method for an infinite damage loop that actually works, I'm sure I can find two or three within the first page of google results for you if you like.

DarkSonic1337
2016-07-31, 01:29 PM
All you've done is missed what I've said. There is a difference between treating a result as a given value and what the die actually shows while you simplify them to being the same thing when they are not.

You are ignoring the details and it's fallacy's name is the fallacy of the single cause, also known as complex cause, causal oversimplification, causal reductionism, and reduction fallacy. No amount of repeating, on either side, will change that. If you would like an alternative method for an infinite damage loop that actually works, I'm sure I can find two or three within the first page of google results for you if you like.

So what you're saying is that "treat the result as" does not mean "treat the result as for every instance that checks the result?" Quite frankly I find that interpretation hard to justify.

If the feat said "calculate the damage as if you rolled a two" or something along similar lines I'd be inclined to believe you, but that's not what it says. It says
when rolling for damage, treat any die roll result of 1 as 2.
It is reasonable to interpret this as "treat any die roll result of 1 as a die roll result of 2", and a die roll result of 2 triggers aura of chaos on a 1d2 weapon.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-07-31, 01:37 PM
All you've done is missed what I've said. There is a difference between treating a result as a given value and what the die actually shows while you simplify them to being the same thing when they are not.

You are ignoring the details and it's fallacy's name is the fallacy of the single cause, also known as complex cause, causal oversimplification, causal reductionism, and reduction fallacy. No amount of repeating, on either side, will change that. If you would like an alternative method for an infinite damage loop that actually works, I'm sure I can find two or three within the first page of google results for you if you like.What happens to the Imbued Healing (Luck Domain) feat when you roll a 1? You treat it as though you'd rolled a 2. What does aura of chaos do when you roll a 2? It adds another die. Since you treat the 1 as a 2, without any exceptions given in the text of either ability, aura of chaos treats any 1 on the damage die as though you'd rolled a 2.

It's very, very clearly written.

Emperor Tippy
2016-07-31, 02:03 PM
Festering Anger Cancer Mage with Kissed by the Ages and a few million years on a fast time demiplane.

Your strength is enough to benchpress the entire observable universe several times over.

Melcar
2016-07-31, 04:35 PM
Festering Anger Cancer Mage with Kissed by the Ages and a few million years on a fast time demiplane.

Your strength is enough to benchpress the entire observable universe several times over.

Leave it to you, to mention something that encompasses the entire multiverse! :smallwink:

Tohsaka Rin
2016-07-31, 05:07 PM

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/78/7876f74f57c864883732b2b0ac9f3646a6018200057cf0a550 193a18ca969102.jpg

Joking aside, I see your shenanigans, and raise you 'your shenanigans plus decisive strike'.

Gruftzwerg
2016-07-31, 09:09 PM

:smallfrown: meh, no bonus points for my (signature) build. QQ

monk/warlock/enlightened fist/monk of the enabled hand with Eldritch Claws/charge combo.