PDA

View Full Version : Necromantic Spells

streakster
2007-07-04, 08:26 AM
[EDIT:] Shoved all the spells from lower down in here, to make things tidy. New spells will be here as well, newest at the bottom.

Lesser Skeletal Crew
Necromancy
Level: Wiz/Sor 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch.
Target: Any naval vessel.
Duration: 1 day per level.

As you speak the final words of the call, bony hands appear over the railing. Soon, your crew stands assembled.

Skeletal Crew allows the caster to summon a number of skeletons from the watery deeps to crew his vessel. This spell summons the minimum number of skeletons necessary to crew the vessel. The summoned skeletons will obey any orders regarding navigation or the ship, but ignore any others. They are single-minded in their attention to their tasks, not even stopping if attacked. The undead summoned by this spell do not count against the caster's undead limit.

Greater Skeletal Crew
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 6
Components: V, S, F, M
Casting Time: 1 day
Range: Unlimited
Target: Any sunken naval vessel
Duration: 1 day per 2 levels

You grasp the scrap of wood tightly, waiting. Then, the water churns as a ship long wrecked surfaces, undead crew already in place.

This spell raises a sunken wreck that you know of to the surface, crews it as Skeletal Crew and orders it to come to you. Once the ship has arrived, you may board and direct the ship as normal. If this spell is cast upon a ship raised with this spell, its duration is reset as though it had just been cast. The ship is always attended by a fierce gale, which occasionally provides sailing speed, but most often simply lashes the ship. A ship raised by this spell cannot be sunk, no matter how damaged it becomes. The ship can turned by a cleric as though it were undead, either setting the ship uncontrollably adrift for a time, or returning it to the ocean floor. It is important not to be aboard the ship when this spell expires, as it will sail back to its original location on the sea floor, potentially drowning all aboard.

Materials: A ship carved from bone, inlaid with valuable rubies and onyx. The ship must be set afloat in a silver basin filled with the caster's blood.

Focus: A piece of the ship to be raised, or a part of the captain's uniform or navigational instruments.

Corpse Call
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V
Range: 1/4 mile per level
Target: 1 corpse

You begin to hiss in a sibilant language of the dead. On the horizon, a shambling figure appears...

This spell calls the nearest corpse to you. The corpse will proceed to you at half of what it's walking pace was in life. If you leave the spot that you called the corpse from, the corpse will not be able to find you. The corpse may not continue moving during the day, unless something (a roof, a darkness spell, etc.) shields it from the sun. When the corpse reaches the spot to which it has been called, it returns to a normal death.

Soul Ejection
Necromancy [Death]
Components: V, S, M
Range: Close
Target: One living creature
Duration: 1 round per level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

You send a stream of dark energy at your foe, and watch as he falls down dead. You see his soul hovering nearby, however, and know that he will soon return.

This spell ejects the target's soul from their body, killing the target if they fail their will save. However, after the duration of this spell is complete, their soul returns, as though the character had the Ressurect spell cast on them. While this spell is in effect, the character is truly dead, and is subject to any spells that target corpses.

Material Component: A handful of ground silver.

Boneweave
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 7
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 hour per hit dice of woven monster
Range: Touch
Target: Skeletal undead controlled by the caster

The bones hang in midair, slowly swaying back and forth. At a word from you, they begin to coalesce into a vast, shadowy shape.

This spell allows you to weave the bones of skeletons controlled by you into a new creature. The monster to be woven must be undead. The total Hit Dice of the undead you are using must be equal to the creature to be woven's Hit Dice. In addition, add one undead for each spell-like ability the monster to woven possesses, and one undead for each of the levels of its highest level spell. Creatures woven by this spell may not have a template applied.

Undead used in this spell are destroyed.

Focus: A model or image of the creature to be woven.

Example: To weave a monster with 12 Hit Dice would require 12 undead with one Hit Dice each, or 6 undead with 2 HIt Dice each, and so on. To weave that same monster if it had the Cause Fear and Ghoul Touch spells would require 6 undead with 2 Hit Dice each, plus two more undead.

New Spell! Well, sort of...

Witchweed
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Target: Dead plants in a 50 ft. radius spread
Duration: 1 min per level (D)
Saving Throw: Reflex Partial
Spell Resistance: Nope

Kaltos slammed the obsidian spike to the ground, and watched as the dead trees began to blacken as though from flame. Soon, their limbs began to sway, almost hungrily...

All dead grasses, weeds, bushes, and even trees in the area are animated into a form of undeath, turning black. Living creatures in the area or those that enter the area are attacked by the plants, which hold them fast and cause them to become entangled. A creature can break free and move half its normal speed by using a full-round action to make a DC 20 Strength check or a DC 20 Escape Artist check. A creature that succeeds on a Reflex save is not entangled but can still move at only half speed through the area. Each round on your turn, the plants once again attempt to entangle all creatures that have avoided or escaped entanglement.

In addition, if the plants have thorns or a hardness rating, then each creature that is entangled takes 1d4 damage each round this spell is active. All Witchweed is poisonous if ingested. If the plants were poisonous before being transformed, then the first time a creature takes damage from this spell he suffers the effects of that poison. The caster of this spell may instruct the Witchweed to cease entanglement, or to ignore certain beings, as a move action.

Water dissolves Witchweed, unless the water is suitably foul (swamp water, cesspool, etc.). Spells such as create water can be used to cut paths through Witchweed.

Focus: An obsidian spike, which must be driven into the ground in the center of the area to be animated. To dismiss this spell, the spike is removed from the ground.

Icewalker
2007-07-04, 08:34 AM
Hoho, interesting.

While I may not use these directly, I definitely have to make a version of them for my seabased campaign (summoning a ship is possibly ok if the ship sucks and the spell is 9th level and temporary >.>)

I like the first one, but probably with a higher level (Ships actually had crazily massive crews) and they'd be far worse than regular sailors.

Very very cool idea though...

jindra34
2007-07-04, 08:37 AM
The minimum number of people needed to crew a ship is one.

Miraqariftsky
2007-07-04, 08:37 AM
Can the skeletons summoned by these fight?

jindra34
2007-07-04, 08:38 AM
Can the skeletons summoned by these fight?

nope only sail.

ChrisMcDee
2007-07-04, 09:59 AM
I like this very much. I guess the Necromancer Captain would need to keep a spell up his sleeve to summon combatants, though. Load up the cargo with corpses before setting off? Ew.

On the other hand he could probably make decent money as a transport ship for those who can live with travelling on the ship of the dead.

streakster
2007-07-04, 11:05 AM
Hoho, interesting.

While I may not use these directly, I definitely have to make a version of them for my seabased campaign (summoning a ship is possibly ok if the ship sucks and the spell is 9th level and temporary >.>)

I like the first one, but probably with a higher level (Ships actually had crazily massive crews) and they'd be far worse than regular sailors.

Very very cool idea though...

Heh, glad you like them. The level might be set too low - I tried to balance that by making sure this couldn't be used for combat. Ah well - live and learn.

New Spells!

Corpse Call
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V
Range: 1/4 mile per level
Target: 1 corpse

You begin to hiss in a sibilant language of the dead. On the horizon, a shambling figure appears...

This spell calls the nearest corpse to you. The corpse will proceed to you at half of what it's walking pace was in life. If you leave the spot that you called the corpse from, the corpse will not be able to find you. The corpse may not continue moving during the day, unless something (a roof, a darkness spell, etc.) shields it from the sun. When the corpse reaches the spot to which it has been called, it returns to a normal death.

Soul Ejection
Necromancy [Death]
Range: Close
Target: One living creature
Duration: 1 round per level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

You send a stream of dark energy at your foe, and watch as he falls down dead. You see his soul hovering nearby, however, and know that he will soon return.

This spell ejects the target's soul from their body, killing the target if they fail their will save. However, after the duration of this spell is complete, their soul returns, as though the character had the Ressurect spell cast on them. While this spell is in effect, the character is truly dead, and is subject to any spells that target corpses.

Material Component: A handful of ground silver.

streakster
2007-07-04, 03:00 PM
More, more, more...

Boneweave
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 7
Casting Time: 1 hour per hit dice of woven monster
Target: Skeletal undead controlled by the caster

The bones hang in midair, slowly swaying back and forth. At a word from you, they begin to coalesce into a vast, shadowy shape.

This spell allows you to weave the bones of skeletons controlled by you into a new creature. The monster to be woven must be undead. The total Hit Dice of the undead you are using must be equal to the creature to be woven's Hit Dice. In addition, add one undead for each spell-like ability the monster to woven possesses, and one undead for each of the levels of its highest level spell. Creatures woven by this spell may not have a template applied.

Undead used in this spell are destroyed.

Focus: A model or image of the creature to be woven.

Example: To weave a monster with 12 Hit Dice would require 12 undead with one Hit Dice each, or 6 undead with 2 HIt Dice each, and so on. To weave that same monster if it had the Cause Fear and Ghoul Touch spells would require 6 undead with 2 Hit Dice each, plus two more undead.

Fizban
2007-07-04, 03:30 PM
Greater Skeletal Crew
Necromancy
Casting Time: 1 full round
Range: Unlimited
Target: Any sunken naval vessel
Duration: 1 day per level

You grasp the scrap of wood tightly, waiting. Then, the water churns as a ship long wrecked surfaces, undead crew already in place.

This spell raises a sunken wreck that you know of to the surface, crews it as Skeletal Crew and orders it to come to you. Once the ship has arrived, you may board and direct the ship as normal. The ship sails as though it always had a strong wind, regardless of weather conditions. A ship raised by this spell cannot sink, regardless of how much damage is done to it. If this spell is cast upon a ship raised with this spell, its duration is reset as though it had just been cast.

Focus: A piece of the ship to be raised, or a part of the captain's uniform or navigational instruments.
Not gonna work. It takes a 4th level spell (Raise From the Deep) and extends it's duration from 1 hour/level to 1 day/level, plus your fourth level crewing spell (which should be fine) plus another 4-6th level spell for the wind (I don't remember what level it was), which is also lasting longer than it should. Too many effects for way too little. Mordenkainen's Capable Caravel creates the ship for you and only lasts for 1 day/2 levels.

BRC
2007-07-04, 04:11 PM
Not gonna work. It takes a 4th level spell (Raise From the Deep) and extends it's duration from 1 hour/level to 1 day/level, plus your fourth level crewing spell (which should be fine) plus another 4-6th level spell for the wind (I don't remember what level it was), which is also lasting longer than it should. Too many effects for way too little. Mordenkainen's Capable Caravel creates the ship for you and only lasts for 1 day/2 levels.

Maybe throw some expenisive components on, like a ship carved out of magical coral that crumbles when you use it.

Callix
2007-07-04, 04:26 PM
I just love the ability to make puns about only having a skeleton crew. DMs be warned. No good will come of these jokes.

Boneweave is fun and balanced, but you might just want to stipulate that the creature cannot have templates applied, so you can't make a horde of zombies into a lich or a vampire with full casting.

streakster
2007-07-04, 04:30 PM
Hmm...

Good point Fizban. I didn't factor in the wind effect, nor did I check the Capable Caravel for comparison. Yup, that needs edited, let's see what I can do.

Oh, and thanks Bloddyredcommie. That should help.

Thank you, Callix. Never though of that.

streakster
2007-07-04, 05:23 PM
Witchweed
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Target: 1 dead plant, or one 10-foot patch of small dead plants(grass, flowers, etc.)
Duration: Instant
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

"The tree's bark darkens, then turns pure, shiny black. The tree's limbs begin to sway, almost hungrily..."

This spell animates a dead plant with negative energy. A plant animated by this spell cannot move from where it is rooted, but may otherwise move itself at will. Witchweed (the standard name for any undead plant) will attack any living creature that its master does not specifically forbid it to. Witchweed is poisonous if eaten, and may animate anyone who dies from it as undead (not under the caster's control).

If a patch of small plants is animated, their effects are similar to an entangle spell.

Witchweed does grow, if in an area with adequate darkness, and will kill off nearby plants over time. Witchweed reacts to water as though it were acid, unless the water is foul (such as a cesspool, swamp, etc.)

Use the stats for animated objects for the plants. You can control only 4 HD worth of undead creatures per caster level.

Materials: A black onyx gem worth at least 20 gp per hit dice of the plant to be animated. This must be buried under the roots of the plant. It may not be removed while the plant is animated, since the roots will grow around and encase it.

jindra34
2007-07-04, 05:33 PM
Witchweed
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Target: 1 dead plant, or one 10-foot patch of small dead plants(grass, flowers, etc.)
Duration: Instant
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

"The tree's bark darkens, then turns pure, shiny black. The tree's limbs begin to sway, almost hungrily..."

This spell animates a dead plant with negative energy. A plant animated by this spell cannot move from where it is rooted, but may otherwise move itself at will. Witchweed (the standard name for any undead plant) will attack any living creature that its master does not specifically forbid it to. Witchweed is poisonous if eaten, and may animate anyone who dies from it as undead (not under the caster's control).

If a patch of small plants is animated, their effects are similar to an entangle spell.

Witchweed does grow, if in an area with adequate darkness, and will kill off nearby plants over time. Witchweed reacts to water as though it were acid, unless the water is foul (such as a cesspool, swamp, etc.)

Use the stats for animated objects for the plants.

Materials: A black onyx gem worth at least 20 gp. This must be buried under the roots of the plant. It may not be removed while the plant is animated, since the roots will grow around and encase it.

this spell should be at least level 8... see animate object and permanancy.

Neek
2007-07-04, 05:41 PM
If not 8th level, then at least with a duration.

Fawsto
2007-07-04, 06:39 PM
Pirates of the Caribbean, anyone? Cool.

streakster
2007-07-04, 06:46 PM
this spell should be at least level 8... see animate object and permanancy.

It's not based off "animate object" - I based it off "animate dead". "Animate plants" is level 7, true, but that allows you to animate multiple plants and allows them to move. "Animate Object" is only level 6, and that can animate any object at all and costs nothing.

This spell is basically a nerfed version of "animate dead" - I mean, yes they might be tougher than standard undead creatures, and they are permanent, but they are rooted in place and could be destroyed by casting of "create water", in addition to the standard undead vulnerabilities! Plus, you're paying the same amount you would pay for an undead creature of the same number of hit dice.

It does need edited, though - that should say a "black gem worth 20gp per hit dice of the plant to be animated." I also forgot the bit about "You can control only 4 HD worth of undead creatures per caster level."

I'll edit that.

jindra34
2007-07-04, 06:56 PM
It's not based off "animate object" - I based it off "animate dead". "Animate plants" is level 7, true, but that allows you to animate multiple plants and allows them to move. "Animate Object" is only level 6, and that can animate any object at all and costs nothing.

This spell is basically a nerfed version of "animate dead" - I mean, yes they might be tougher than standard undead creatures, and they are permanent, but they are rooted in place and could be destroyed by casting of "create water", in addition to the standard undead vulnerabilities! Plus, you're paying the same amount you would pay for an undead creature of the same number of hit dice.

It does need edited, though - that should say a "black gem worth 20gp per hit dice of the plant to be animated." I also forgot the bit about "You can control only 4 HD worth of undead creatures per caster level."

I'll edit that.
Yeah but it has stats on an animated object of that HD. Which is better than most undead per HD. and it is permanant which requires an 8th level spell in addition to the 6th level spell.

streakster
2007-07-04, 07:39 PM
EDIT: He's right. Reevaluated Witchweed, and it's much too powerful. I was shooting for the evil forest vibe - you know, where the heroes ride through the forest, and the trees lean over and claw at them? Zombie trees are still a cool idea (I think), but this spell needs reworked.

Thank you, jindra34. I apologize.

streakster
2007-07-05, 02:42 PM
New Spell! Well, sort of...

Witchweed
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Target: Dead plants in a 50 ft. radius spread
Duration: 1 min per level (D)
Saving Throw: Reflex Partial
Spell Resistance: Nope

Kaltos slammed the obsidian spike to the ground, and watched as the dead trees began to blacken as though from flame. Soon, their limbs began to sway, almost hungrily...

All dead grasses, weeds, bushes, and even trees in the area are animated into a form of undeath, turning black. Living creatures in the area or those that enter the area are attacked by the plants, which hold them fast and cause them to become entangled. A creature can break free and move half its normal speed by using a full-round action to make a DC 20 Strength check or a DC 20 Escape Artist check. A creature that succeeds on a Reflex save is not entangled but can still move at only half speed through the area. Each round on your turn, the plants once again attempt to entangle all creatures that have avoided or escaped entanglement.

In addition, if the plants have thorns or a hardness rating, then each creature that is entangled takes 1d4 damage each round this spell is active. All Witchweed is poisonous if ingested. If the plants were poisonous before being transformed, then the first time a creature takes damage from this spell he suffers the effects of that poison. The caster of this spell may instruct the Witchweed to cease entanglement, or to ignore certain beings, as a move action.

Water dissolves Witchweed, unless the water is suitably foul (swamp water, cesspool, etc.). Spells such as create water can be used to cut paths through Witchweed.

Focus: An obsidian spike, which must be driven into the ground in the center of the area to be animated. To dismiss this spell, the spike is removed from the ground.

Maldraugedhen
2007-07-06, 12:53 PM
Boneweave's note on templates should be 'any template other than Undead', otherwise, you're forced to weave living creatures.

JoshuaZ
2007-07-06, 01:07 PM
I'm wondering about Soul Ejection. If I construct an undead out of corpse in question and then Soul Ejection expires what happens?