PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Mother Cyst port (3.5e->5e)

Bobby Baratheon
2016-07-30, 06:26 PM
So, the DM of the campaign I just joined told us that we could bring in 3rd edition feats so long as they're not part of a chain of feats. I asked him about Mother Cyst, and he said yes (to my mild surprise). So, now I need to port the spells into 5th edition. Any suggestions on how to do so without making it too op?

the secret fire
2016-07-30, 06:28 PM
Is Mother Cyst a death metal band?

DragonSorcererX
2016-07-30, 06:40 PM
So, the DM of the campaign I just joined told us that we could bring in 3rd edition feats so long as they're not part of a chain of feats. I asked him about Mother Cyst, and he said yes (to my mild surprise). So, now I need to port the spells into 5th edition. Any suggestions on how to do so without making it too op?

Quick! Bring Energy Substitution back and make an elemental Eldritch Blast and multiclass into Dragon Sorcerer! DO IT! Make the cheese true!

Segev
2016-07-30, 11:26 PM
It's pretty straight-forward. The damage spells now do base dice like a spell of their level, with bonus dice by increasing the spell's level. The saves are Wisdom or Constitution rather than Will or Fort. Might argue for Strength save for preventing death from cyst explosion, by clamping it down, but that's up to you.

Necrotic domination should just be dominate monster except being a Necromancy spell and the other caveats that differentiate the 3e version from 3e's dominate monster. Replace wording in necrotic tumor for its successful-save effect with wording stolen from 5e's suggestion. Necrotic scrying can work just as it already does.

The one to be most cautious with is necrotic power, because its bonuses are a bit high for 5e. Probably best to just have it set the relevant scores to 18 or 19.

In all, it's a pretty straight-forward port.

SaintRidley
2016-07-31, 03:02 AM
Quick! Bring Energy Substitution back and make an elemental Eldritch Blast and multiclass into Dragon Sorcerer! DO IT! Make the cheese true!

There are feats dependent on that feat (Energy Admixture, for instance) which I would imagine qualifies it as part of a feat chain.

DragonSorcererX
2016-07-31, 10:28 AM
There are feats dependent on that feat (Energy Admixture, for instance) which I would imagine qualifies it as part of a feat chain.

It requires Metamagic Feats, so, it should be limited to the Sorcerer, but, since most of these builds are Warlock 2/ Fighter 2/Sorcerer 16... Imagine that monstruous damage... Going nova and dealing 1d10+5+5+1d6 x12...