PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed What are the ways to attack without attacking?

Flickerdart
2016-07-30, 06:40 PM
I love full attacks.

No, wait, hear me out. I don't mean that I love how fighters are screwed without getting their hands on Pounce. I mean that the idea of attacks as a universal resource has great potential for interesting design. One of the few things that a martial character has over a spellcaster is that at the end of the day, he gets to do [thing] four times a round, while a wizard can do [thing] only twice. And then anybody can pick up a dagger and do [thing] an extra time, but all their [things] are a little penalized.

But what can that thing be? The obvious answers - combat maneuvers like grapple, disarm, or trip - is lame and boring. There are more interesting answers, like the Stormguard Warrior feat, which allows you to trade out attacks for bonus damage next round.

What other ways exist in the game to turn attacks into things that are not attacks? Attack rolls are fine, I suppose, but I am specifically not interested in "and then you roll damage".

Fizban
2016-07-30, 08:41 PM
I am also interested in this, wouldn't be surprised if it's where they got the idea for essentia capacity since they're almost the same thing. I am also sure there's at least one other non-magical thing out there besides Stormguard Warrior, but no idea what.

In the magical department there's the classic Born of the Three Thunders on Flame Blade, but the first thing I think of is always the Nightblade of Arvandor, which sadly is just 1d8 ranged touch attacks replaced your "normal ranged attacks."

Âmesang
2016-07-30, 08:50 PM
See, now I want to make a grapple-focused character. :smallamused: Get my opponent in the Camel Clutch, break his back, and make him humble.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-07-30, 08:58 PM
Knockback turns an attack into a bull-rush, while still retaining the effects of your attack, which can be further modified using Shock Trooper and dungeon crasher.

Improved Trip turns an attack into a trip + attack. Add Knock-Down to turn your attack into an attack + trip + attack.

Combine those things to turn it into an attack + bull-rush + trip + attack + bull-rush.

OldTrees1
2016-07-30, 11:58 PM
What other ways exist in the game to turn attacks into things that are not attacks? Attack rolls are fine, I suppose, but I am specifically not interested in "and then you roll damage".

I presume Triggered abilities triggered by the attack qualify?
Knockback (I move you)
Standstill (You don't move)
Staggering Strike & company (You lose actions/turns)
Enforcer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/enforcer-combat) + Imperious Command (You Cower for a round)

Evasive Reflexes (I move)

Alternate options & modifications to Attacks & Reactions(AoOs) is an area that has lots of unused potential.

Inevitability
2016-07-31, 08:04 AM
You can cast a spell, hold the charge, then make a natural/unarmed attack to deliver it as part of your full attack routine.

DarkSonic1337
2016-08-01, 02:42 AM
Dragon magazine has a fighter alternative class feature that lets you forgo attacks during a full attack to increase your critical threat range. There is no limit (besides sacrificing ALL of your attacks).

atemu1234
2016-08-01, 04:11 PM
Dragon magazine has a fighter alternative class feature that lets you forgo attacks during a full attack to increase your critical threat range. There is no limit (besides sacrificing ALL of your attacks).

That seems... unreasonably bad. Like... really, really useless.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-08-01, 04:19 PM
That seems... unreasonably bad. Like... really, really useless.High HD monster, high Strength, high Power Attack, Improved Critical, a gauntlet, and a kaorti resin reach weapon, maybe? Critting on an 8-20 roll is very, very nice with x4 damage and a high base damage on the line.

Note that you can make iteratives with your off-hand even without the TWF feats (for a two-hander, note that armor spikes are a thing), and getting freebie attacks from natural attacks, Snap Kick, and so on also count, so you can sacrifice those, too.

[edit] Plus, there are ways to make tons of attacks that don't involve full attacking, such as getting metric tons of reach, a high Dex, and Combat Reflexes, combined with Great Cleave for when your 8-20/x4 damage multiplier drops foes like pennies down a well.

[double-edit] Also this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20542568&postcount=17).

daremetoidareyo
2016-08-02, 12:34 AM
wolfpack tactical feat from races of the wild gives you 2 uses for a full attack that are unique. Too bad you need dodge and mobility and spring attack for no good reason.

Rebel7284
2016-08-02, 03:07 AM
Duskblade 13 gets to cast a spell and apply it to all the targets hit by a full attack.

Alternatively, quick draw + a bag of spell storing weapons (shuruken?) for lots of extra spells. :)