PDA

View Full Version : Which Class Should I Play?

Reaver25
2016-07-30, 07:40 PM
I realize this is a common question. But I wanted to ask because I like hearing everyone's opinion. I played a Thief Rogue, but died. I don't want to play a Fighter, a Barbarian, or a Bard. This is what is already in my group:
Fighter, Draconic Sorcerer, Life Cleric, Vengeance Paladin.
What do you think?

DracoKnight
2016-07-30, 07:43 PM
I realize this is a common question. But I wanted to ask because I like hearing everyone's opinion. I don't want to play a Fighter, a Barbarian, or a Bard. This is what is already in my group:
What do you think?

You guys don't have a rogue or a wizard yet...personally I find Conjuration Wizard 6/Arcane Trickster 14 to be a fun build ^_^

Reaver25
2016-07-30, 07:54 PM
I should clarify: I was playing a Thief Rogue. But I died, lol..

RossN
2016-07-30, 08:13 PM
A Swashbuckler Rogue might be fun - you can play a pirate (or Zorro!)

DragonSorcererX
2016-07-30, 08:22 PM
I realize this is a common question. But I wanted to ask because I like hearing everyone's opinion. I played a Thief Rogue, but died. I don't want to play a Fighter, a Barbarian, or a Bard. This is what is already in my group:
What do you think?

Human Variant (Magic Initiate for Find Familiar) Life Cleric: Heal your fellow party members using your Familiar and stay away from danger while doing a decent amount of damage with your divine strike crossbow.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-07-30, 08:28 PM
Play a Shadow Monk (possibly with a one-level Rouge dip) and make your old Rogue look like a platemail-clad elephant. I've been having a blast with mine. Take Mobile ASAP and run out, punch the bad guys as often as you can*, then run back behind the Paladin for cover.

*At earlier levels you should take a spear or quarterstaff and wield it two-handed, though. You do much more damage that way, and can still deliver kicks for your bonus action unarmed strike.

Reaver25
2016-07-30, 08:33 PM
Play a Shadow Monk (possibly with a one-level Rouge dip) and make your old Rogue look like a platemail-clad elephant. I've been having a blast with mine. Take Mobile ASAP and run out, punch the bad guys as often as you can*, then run back behind the Paladin for cover.

*At earlier levels you should take a spear or quarterstaff and wield it two-handed, though. You do much more damage that way, and can still deliver kicks for your bonus action unarmed strike.

A Shadow Monk sounds fun, I hadn't really considered that one before! I hear they are quite fun and mobile.

Sir cryosin
2016-07-30, 08:44 PM

With my shadow monk I used a magical poisonous dagger thanks to monk weapons up grade. One time are DM had a red mage introduced and if we were to fight he was. Supposed to run away but before he could jump off the flying castle I step of wind getting to his room just as he was going to the ledge shadowed step up to him grappled and throw both of use into the middle of the room. We're I kept him in a grapple and unarmed strike and stunning striking by headbutting him. It was great we were lv 6 and he was lv 14.

So I'll say this if you like the rogue type aka skirmisher monk is a nice choice. You'll have fun with it.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-07-30, 08:48 PM
A Shadow Monk sounds fun, I hadn't really considered that one before! I hear they are quite fun and mobile.
They definitely are. Things I have learned:

Dex is much more important than Wisdom, because while both add to AC only Dex adds to damage. Keep that as high as you can.
Moving faster than everyone else can be useful, but be careful-- if you get caught on your own, you will die very easily. Better to just retreat back to where everyone else is.
When you get Minor Illusion, its only component will be Somatic, which is by far the easiest to hide. Use it to make sounds to cover for you-- I recommend a retreating series of footsteps while you stay still.
Look at the description for Pass Without Trace. Just look at it, it's insane. Everyone in the party will sneak like Rogues; if you have Proficiency (or god help you, Expertise) you might as well be invisible.
Remember that you can Dodge; it'll save your life at times.
If you stick silver pieces between your fingers and punch a werewolf in the nose, it's hilarious.
I can't even imagine trying to play without Mobile. The whole easy-disengage thing should have been part of the class from the start.
After a few levels you'll have, just, so much Ki. Don't be stingy.
You have entirely too many things you can do with your bonus action, especially once teleport comes into play. Think carefully- another punch isn't always the right answer.

Reaver25
2016-07-30, 09:16 PM
They definitely are. Things I have learned:

Dex is much more important than Wisdom, because while both add to AC only Dex adds to damage. Keep that as high as you can.
Moving faster than everyone else can be useful, but be careful-- if you get caught on your own, you will die very easily. Better to just retreat back to where everyone else is.
When you get Minor Illusion, its only component will be Somatic, which is by far the easiest to hide. Use it to make sounds to cover for you-- I recommend a retreating series of footsteps while you stay still.
Look at the description for Pass Without Trace. Just look at it, it's insane. Everyone in the party will sneak like Rogues; if you have Proficiency (or god help you, Expertise) you might as well be invisible.
Remember that you can Dodge; it'll save your life at times.
If you stick silver pieces between your fingers and punch a werewolf in the nose, it's hilarious.
I can't even imagine trying to play without Mobile. The whole easy-disengage thing should have been part of the class from the start.
After a few levels you'll have, just, so much Ki. Don't be stingy.
You have entirely too many things you can do with your bonus action, especially once teleport comes into play. Think carefully- another punch isn't always the right answer.

This is a great list. I will be using this advice for sure!

What else, for anyone else out there? What about full casters? Also, I was thinking of Druid because of the versatility. Thoughts?

Grod_The_Giant
2016-07-31, 11:00 AM
This is a great list. I will be using this advice for sure!

What else, for anyone else out there? What about full casters? Also, I was thinking of Druid because of the versatility. Thoughts?
You have a Cleric and a Sorcerer, meaning blasting and support are well-covered. What you'd want to focus on would be more control and utility, which Druids are quite good at, so... yeah, go for it. Druids are boss, and Wild Shape would let you cover the scout role pretty well.

Wizard would also be appropriate-- I kind of like the idea of a Fighter 1/Abjuration Wizard gish build, relying on the SCAG melee cantrips (and maybe GWF) for damage. Fighter gives you weapons, heavy armor, and the two-handed fighting style would let you reroll the bonus damage dice to boot. If you really want to be cheesy you could dip Warlock 2 for at-will Mage Armor, but that's probably unnecessary.

Anonymouswizard
2016-07-31, 11:12 AM
What do you think?

Okay, analysing your group, you have the following roles covered:
Fighter: tank/DPR
Sorcerer: DPR
Life Cleric: Healbot
Vengence Paladin: DPR/tank

Now, the first thing that springs to mind is that this is a very combat focused party (even moreso than normal for 5e). Therefore you have two choices: go utility, or go combat.

For a utility character nothing beats a wizard. Lots of nice utility and BFC spells, go something other than Evocation and you shouldn't overlap with the Sorcerer. A Rogue can also work, but they have a slight problem with squishiness and melee.

Druid is an interesting choice. It was one of my first choices for my first character, before I discovered that the DMPC (:furious:) was one. They get some cool abilities and spells, and can stand up in pretty much any party.

If you're worried about dying, then there are four main classes to pick from: Barbarian, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger. Just pick whichever looks the most interesting, the Ranger is the weakest but not by a truly significant amount. Monk is also a good choice.

So here's the real question, what type of character do you want?

RickAllison
2016-07-31, 12:26 PM
I'll also suggest wizard. With so many combat-heavy people, I'd say you would get highest capability by controlling your enemies. Depending on if your fighter is Dex or Str-based, he might be able to have his pick of targets. If he is Str-based, and even for the Pally, keeping enemies right where your buddies can trash on them. Even with more ranged potential, using spells like Watery Sphere to restrain or otherwise give your ranged attackers advantage while negating cover is a massive boon.

Reaver25
2016-07-31, 02:19 PM
Okay, analysing your group, you have the following roles covered:
Fighter: tank/DPR
Sorcerer: DPR
Life Cleric: Healbot
Vengence Paladin: DPR/tank

Now, the first thing that springs to mind is that this is a very combat focused party (even moreso than normal for 5e). Therefore you have two choices: go utility, or go combat.

For a utility character nothing beats a wizard. Lots of nice utility and BFC spells, go something other than Evocation and you shouldn't overlap with the Sorcerer. A Rogue can also work, but they have a slight problem with squishiness and melee.

Druid is an interesting choice. It was one of my first choices for my first character, before I discovered that the DMPC (:furious:) was one. They get some cool abilities and spells, and can stand up in pretty much any party.

If you're worried about dying, then there are four main classes to pick from: Barbarian, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger. Just pick whichever looks the most interesting, the Ranger is the weakest but not by a truly significant amount. Monk is also a good choice.

So here's the real question, what type of character do you want?

I'm thinking I want a utility/control type oF character. A Druid would be good at that and as a scout thanks to Wild Shape. A Wizard would also be good at that because of the vastness of spells and the specialization in certain spells. Now I guess it's a Wizard vs. Druid question.

I'll also suggest wizard. With so many combat-heavy people, I'd say you would get highest capability by controlling your enemies. Depending on if your fighter is Dex or Str-based, he might be able to have his pick of targets. If he is Str-based, and even for the Pally, keeping enemies right where your buddies can trash on them. Even with more ranged potential, using spells like Watery Sphere to restrain or otherwise give your ranged attackers advantage while negating cover is a massive boon.

That's definitely true. The Fighter is mostly Dex based and the Pally is Strength based. So really, I could do either. The Sorcerer usually snipes from behind the lines and the Cleric does a mix of healing and direct damage.

JellyPooga
2016-07-31, 05:11 PM
You've tried a Thief Rogue; why not try a different style of Rogue? You don't have to go for the stereotypical "thief";

-Go high Strength and Expertise Athletics and grapple everything.
-Be the Loremaster and put expertise on Arcana and History.
-Grab Expertise in Persuasion and Intimidation, pump Charisma, go Swashbuckler and not only be the "dashing swordsman", but also the party face.
-Be the tactician as a Mastermind.
-Be the wilderness guide with expertise in Survival and Animal Handling.
-Be a sniper.
-Be a dervish.
-Be a remarkably good Tank (Sentinel is an awesome Feat for a Rogue).
-Be the worlds greatest pole-vaulter and/or sprinter.
-Be the best at whatever you want to be the best at (except stand-up fighting or spellcasting...you can't be the best at those things!)

R.Shackleford
2016-07-31, 05:14 PM
What do you think?

Murderface the Death Cleric

Ashrym
2016-07-31, 07:39 PM
I'm curious as to why not a bard. The focus seems to be on utility and that leans heavily towards bards, druids, and wizards for the recommendations so far. Open hand or shadow monk would also be fun, but I'm going to pop out a different recommendation.

Ranger.

The ranger can also add some utility in the skills even if it's not up to a rogue or bard, but also has some solid combat on a hunter. You can slip in some utility spells like alarm and pass without trace.

If the consideration is between wizard and druid then I would go druid just because it's less similar to the sorcerer.

Slipperychicken
2016-07-31, 10:52 PM

How about a druid? You can do a bit of healing with goodberry to take some weight off the life cleric's shoulders, put down some great utility and control, and with that pair of bruisers around you might even be able to use wildshape for utility once in a while. For a low-effort buff you can use faerie fire, when the party really needs help doing damage you can wildshape or throw down a conjure animals or call lightning, and if you somehow need out-of-combat healing badly you can also conjure dryads and have them cast goodberry for you (3 times each for two dryads, so a total of 60 berries for a 4th level slot).

Though if you do a druid, most of your good stuff is concentration, so I have to recommend war caster and/or resilient(con). I find that someone who summons 16 wolves tends to quickly become a priority target, so I can honestly see taking both. Also I recommend the mold earth cantrip to make small obstructions (a 5ft cube of dirt isn't bad for blocking arrows and line-of-sight, and a quick foxhole isn't bad either), but also to help you bury bodies to look like a slightly better person in the DM's eyes.

Reaver25
2016-08-01, 12:14 AM
How about a druid? You can do a bit of healing with goodberry to take some weight off the life cleric's shoulders, put down some great utility and control, and with that pair of bruisers around you might even be able to use wildshape for utility once in a while. For a low-effort buff you can use faerie fire, when the party really needs help doing damage you can wildshape or throw down a conjure animals or call lightning, and if you somehow need out-of-combat healing badly you can also conjure dryads and have them cast goodberry for you (3 times each for two dryads, so a total of 60 berries for a 4th level slot).

Though if you do a druid, most of your good stuff is concentration, so I have to recommend war caster and/or resilient(con). I find that someone who summons 16 wolves tends to quickly become a priority target, so I can honestly see taking both. Also I recommend the mold earth cantrip to make small obstructions (a 5ft cube of dirt isn't bad for blocking arrows and line-of-sight, and a quick foxhole isn't bad either), but also to help you bury bodies to look like a slightly better person in the DM's eyes.

Those are pretty good ideas. I was thinking of a Druid for Conjure Animals/Entangle combo, keeping my enemies where I want them and getting my minions to attack. I'm just unsure (if I roll a Druid) whether I want to do Circle of the Moon/Land...

The mold earth cantrip sounds fun. Didn't think about those uses for sure!

RickAllison
2016-08-01, 06:55 AM
Those are pretty good ideas. I was thinking of a Druid for Conjure Animals/Entangle combo, keeping my enemies where I want them and getting my minions to attack. I'm just unsure (if I roll a Druid) whether I want to do Circle of the Moon/Land...

The mold earth cantrip sounds fun. Didn't think about those uses for sure!

I use it for wizards, and Mold Earth is incredibly useful. Can't make foxholes very easily (he is 7' tall), but he has used it for agriculture, military engineering, and even just regular construction.

Shining Wrath
2016-08-01, 10:10 AM
When it comes to utility the wizard is tops.
A Land Druid with the Ritual Caster feat (Wizard) has lots of utility as well and is less squishy. Don't underestimate the out-of-combat uses of being able to take beast form; there's lots of situations where no one will pay attention to the little creature.

RickAllison
2016-08-01, 10:24 AM
When it comes to utility the wizard is tops.
A Land Druid with the Ritual Caster feat (Wizard) has lots of utility as well and is less squishy. Don't underestimate the out-of-combat uses of being able to take beast form; there's lots of situations where no one will pay attention to the little creature.

Oh yes. Heck, Druid 1 is an amazing dip for an assassin purely due to being able to get anywhere unnoticed. A Guild Merchant Druid can pull his own cart if his animal is killed.

Reaver25
2016-08-01, 10:56 AM
I like all of the ideas. I'm thinking I will go with Land Circle Druid, due to utility and wildshape capabilities. Also, if I'm doing Land, which is the best Circle? I don't have a backstory in mind yet, so I could make one up according to whichever Land he is with.

RickAllison
2016-08-01, 11:08 AM
I like all of the ideas. I'm thinking I will go with Land Circle Druid, due to utility and wildshape capabilities. Also, if I'm doing Land, which is the best Circle? I don't have a backstory in mind yet, so I could make one up according to whichever Land he is with.

Grasslands and Underdark are two favorites of mine. Grasslands gives you Invisibility (always nice) and Haste (great for rogues and good for everyone else). Underdark is my absolute favorite (I like to combine it with Steeder forms for lots of flavor and jumping fun), giving such wonderful spells as Greater Invisibility and Web. Interestingly, I think it gives the most non-Druid spells of the circles...

Reaver25
2016-08-01, 12:33 PM
I do like the Underdark Circle as well, but how would I RP that? I was thinking that he was a Wood Elf Druid assigned to protect the Underdark from Dark Elves and other creatures who exploit the resources there. I'm not sure.

RickAllison
2016-08-01, 12:47 PM
I do like the Underdark Circle as well, but how would I RP that? I was thinking that he was a Wood Elf Druid assigned to protect the Underdark from Dark Elves and other creatures who exploit the resources there. I'm not sure.

How about a more scholarly Druid? He has been studying life in the Underdark to discover how the creatures there evolved and what their social structure is like.

Be the Jane Goodall of Steeders :smallbiggrin:

Shining Wrath
2016-08-01, 02:21 PM
Almost any race can be a Land(Underdark) Druid for the simple reason that:

The drow / duegar captured them and they only escaped once they developed their druidic powers
The drow / duegar / mind flayers / kua-toa are traditional enemies of their people and they studied the creatures of the Underdark as a result
Their folk used to trade with Underdark folk and they spent a lot of time traveling down there
Merchant caravan guard, same as above
Their extended family includes druids from each of the Land Circles and to maintain Balance among the Lands (very important for religious reasons) their duty from birth was to study the Underdark

RickAllison
2016-08-01, 02:27 PM

The drow / duegar captured them and they only escaped once they developed their druidic powers
The drow / duegar / mind flayers / kua-toa are traditional enemies of their people and they studied the creatures of the Underdark as a result
Their folk used to trade with Underdark folk and they spent a lot of time traveling down there
Their extended family includes druids from each of the Land Circles and to maintain Balance among the Lands (very important for religious reasons) their duty from birth was to study the Underdark

Heck, I have a build of this waiting for play that is a ghostwise halfling who fell through a hole on the surface as a kid. He was a gnome in all but genetics...

Shining Wrath
2016-08-01, 02:41 PM
Heck, I have a build of this waiting for play that is a ghostwise halfling who fell through a hole on the surface as a kid. He was a gnome in all but genetics...

Right. It would be an interesting contest: Randomly choose race, class, and background, and then write a backstory explaining how that combination happened. It'd be interesting to see what folk came up with.

Anonymouswizard
2016-08-01, 03:14 PM
Right. It would be an interesting contest: Randomly choose race, class, and background, and then write a backstory explaining how that combination happened. It'd be interesting to see what folk came up with.

Well you can't do it with the Wizard's of the Coast character generator, it limits you to four races and four classes.

EDIT: I should clarify that this sounds like a great idea, and if anyone can link me to a decent generator I'll give several characters a go and share them to these forums (complete with stats and proficiency and equipment choices).

Shining Wrath
2016-08-01, 04:04 PM
Well you can't do it with the Wizard's of the Coast character generator, it limits you to four races and four classes.

EDIT: I should clarify that this sounds like a great idea, and if anyone can link me to a decent generator I'll give several characters a go and share them to these forums (complete with stats and proficiency and equipment choices).

I'm not so interested in the min-maxing as the role playing for this particular exercise.

Anonymouswizard
2016-08-01, 04:17 PM
I'm not so interested in the min-maxing as the role playing for this particular exercise.

I should clarify that I didn't intend to imply I was interested in minmaxing this, it's just that I consider what skills a character has to be just as important to my roleplaying as their race/class/background combination, and that equipment to me extends from their personality (it's why I'm not overly fond of purchasing starting equipment as generally used), so I was just thinking of 'fully fleshed out character in both rules and history'.

Shining Wrath
2016-08-01, 05:21 PM
I should clarify that I didn't intend to imply I was interested in minmaxing this, it's just that I consider what skills a character has to be just as important to my roleplaying as their race/class/background combination, and that equipment to me extends from their personality (it's why I'm not overly fond of purchasing starting equipment as generally used), so I was just thinking of 'fully fleshed out character in both rules and history'.

Fair enough. :smallsmile:

Reaver25
2016-08-01, 08:42 PM

I like 2 and 5! Those are great ideas, especially maintaining the balance. And, no matter what anyone says, The Underdark is still a natural environment that needs preservation according to Druids. Also, that's what makes then neutral. They don't care about the reasons for hating races like others do. They just want to protect nature.