PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Has anyone played a death cleric?

Sir cryosin
2016-07-31, 08:57 AM
So after we finish CoS campaign we all agreed to play a evil campaign. I throw out that we all be part of some assassin's guild or organization. DM said will see. But we are playing evil characters for sure. No I'm stuck on what class my first 5e character was a shadow monk I had a lot of fun but I retried him because I saw other player out damaging me and ect... I'm getting of topic ok so the other choice is death cleric. Now I see this character as the twisted preacher psychopath. Friendly and charming to talk to but when it time to do lord work he recites scripture as he cuts into or casting a spells. As he deals someone a death blow he ask ( my child repent and give yourself to lord ......... and he will save your life. After they convert thinking that he will spare their lives. He'll say welcome my brother and rejoice for you have been saved by give lord ....... your everlasting soul. Then he will kill him.

Now I'd like people opion on how they ran or running death cleric. And any tips for a evil cleric character.

Coyote81
2016-07-31, 11:54 AM
So after we finish CoS campaign we all agreed to play a evil campaign. I throw out that we all be part of some assassin's guild or organization. DM said will see. But we are playing evil characters for sure. No I'm stuck on what class my first 5e character was a shadow monk I had a lot of fun but I retried him because I saw other player out damaging me and ect... I'm getting of topic ok so the other choice is death cleric. Now I see this character as the twisted preacher psychopath. Friendly and charming to talk to but when it time to do lord work he recites scripture as he cuts into or casting a spells. As he deals someone a death blow he ask ( my child repent and give yourself to lord ......... and he will save your life. After they convert thinking that he will spare their lives. He'll say welcome my brother and rejoice for you have been saved by give lord ....... your everlasting soul. Then he will kill him.

Now I'd like people opion on how they ran or running death cleric. And any tips for a evil cleric character.

I've played a Death Cleric, but not as an evil character, I was Lawful Neutral. My character treated death differently as a follower of Kelemvor. I felt it was my job to maintain the balance of life and death. Save those who I deemed weren't due death, and killed those who's time had come. My cleric was obsessed with living forever, even to the extent he was looking for anything, even arcane rituals that might extend his life.

Game Mechanic-wise(The important parts)

Human Cleric of Death Lore.
-Human Feat, Magic Initiate Wizard - Summon Familiar (Skeleton Owl, made by accident in attempts to perform rituals that extend his life)
This is being used to deliver touch spells from a distance, this is important to allowing you to focus your character on your spell-casting stats, becoming a blaster that will keep your allies, alive (Ont eh brink of death perhaps, but alive. Kelemvor will decide their fate some other day.)

Using a combination Familiar delivering Inflict Wounds, and using your channel divinitiy, you can provide a solid amount of damage while supporting your group as a blaster type caster, routinely casting twin chill touch using the reaper ability.

In general, I acted like a blaster/healer, stayed in the backlines, trying to minimize my time in hand to hand, and foiling the DMs attempts to stop my party. It's a lot of fun, being the self appointed man in charge of the life and death of all living souls. Kelemvor knows how to empower his clerics.