PDA

View Full Version : Is Transmute Rock the ultimate utility spell?

CrazyCrab
2016-07-31, 09:23 AM
I was wondering, is anything stopping me from, when in a dungeon, to just transmute rock to mud whenever we run into a massive door we can't open, a strange shimmering barrier and the like? I mean just cast it on the wall literally next to it, the whole thing turns into mud, voila. No need for the seven keys of legend or mystical sacrifice.

Another thing, it says that the mud is going to be of equal mass. What if I cast it on a vertical wall with creatures standing next to it? Will the flood just drown them? Or will it gently spread out, given the sudden change?

There's a bunch of other stuff I can think of, but the particular cases are pretty much covered by this.

Cybren
2016-07-31, 09:44 AM
How many 5th level slots do you intend on blowing for this supreme utility to convert nonmagical rock to mud? It seems useful but not particularly game breaking.

RickAllison
2016-07-31, 09:58 AM
I would hardly call it the ultimate utility spell, though it is fairly good. If we consider the overall usefulness of a spell without considering cost, Wish is definitely the best (it is this one and many more besides). If we consider usefulness in relation to cost, Mold Earth seems superior (at-will, one round, can undermine the entire dungeon).

Basically, it is good, but not the best.