View Full Version : Something... unique

Calthropstu
2016-07-31, 02:02 PM
I joined in an ongoing campaign a bit ago during an interesting circumstance.

The group had been gaming together for years, and a previous set of characters had fought a war against drow in a colony of waterdeep.

During the course of this current campaign, the pc's were transported to a different dimension where the war had been lost.

And I joined in the middle of this side quest. My character concept was a thrallherd spymaster trying to scout out a way to dislodge the drow once and for all. We worked it all very well into the storyline, but there came an issue when we were transported back to the other dimension.

As a thrallherd, I have a set number of believers. Do my believers in the other dimension count against my total? Do they all get dismissed when I cross realities? My gm handled it well I think, but I wanted to get other players and gm's opinions on how they might handle such.

Cerefel
2016-07-31, 02:37 PM
I think your followers should only count if they're in the dimension you're in, so long as they can't affect anything in dimensions other than their own.

Scoot
2016-07-31, 03:07 PM
Since it sounds like your character no longer exists in one reality, it makes perfect sense that your old thralls would be dismissed, and that you can now gain new followers.

If you guys were to return at the exact point in time you left, I would say you should probably get your old followers back when you return, but otherwise I'd say not.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-07-31, 03:15 PM
You can definitely attract new thralls and believers, replacing the old ones, but if you do, I don't think you'll get your old believers back, if you return to the first reality. If you don't replace them, nothing in the rules says you lose them by being on another plane, which is more or less what you are, at this point (it just happens to be a plane wholly unconnected to your previous location, but that's not a rules issue). Obviously, the rules aren't friendly to alternate realities or time travel, so take that with a grain of salt.

Bronk
2016-07-31, 06:48 PM
As a thrallherd, I have a set number of believers. Do my believers in the other dimension count against my total? Do they all get dismissed when I cross realities?

There's only one listed way to get rid of a thrall or believer: Death.

So, if you left the believers you already had in a war zone, they may already be dropping like flies, ready to be replaced.

If you have a nice DM, they're already gone (or this isn't an issue in the first place). Or, if the alternate dimension wasn't real, or isn't considered real where you are now, maybe that'll take care of it. Or, if you're evil, perhaps your DM would allow you to have a prexisting contingency order in place for them all to off themselves in this situation.

On the other hand, your 'subtle call for servants' starts up when you take the first level of Thrallherd, so, if you really need to, you could attempt to pull a 'level loss / thought bottle' scheme to reset your believers in your new dimension.

Calthropstu
2016-08-02, 06:45 AM
some interesting responses.

My GM had it such that I had an opposite in the dimension who died at the exact time I came into it, and I inherited his followers, who were the same as mine in the other dimension.

The rules don't really cover something like that, so the GM has a lot of latitude. I can see it going in a hundred different directions.

Bronk
2016-08-02, 08:25 AM
some interesting responses.

My GM had it such that I had an opposite in the dimension who died at the exact time I came into it, and I inherited his followers, who were the same as mine in the other dimension.

The rules don't really cover something like that, so the GM has a lot of latitude. I can see it going in a hundred different directions.

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal then! I'm glad it had already worked out well!

Segev
2016-08-02, 08:53 AM
Sounds like your DM handled it - at least on the mechanical side - how I would have. In essence, unless the other dimension (and your believers' activities in it) would be important to the game, it would be robbing you of a class feature to make them count against your ability to have some on hand where the game is actually occurring. So you should have believers and (a) thrall(s) in the new timeline, unless you really are getting use out of them in the other even while in this one.

Eisfalken
2016-08-03, 01:49 AM
Yeah, the DM made a pretty good call, all in all; it's a pain in the butt for both him and you to have to rewrite stats for thralls and such. Easier to maybe just tweak a few things here or there and call it a day.

Having said that, if you wanted to change any followers in/out, this would be the ideal time to ask, long as it's not a huge effort.