PDA

View Full Version : The Misadventures of Sleepy Ash: Big Trouble In Little Korovosa (Part 1)

Mornings
2016-07-31, 02:58 PM
Part I: Big Trouble In Little Korvosa

The cobbled streets of Old Korvosa were a remarkable thing, each street and city block seemed to have a life of its own. But as one wandered, these streets became less and less hospitable. The eyes of the men who leaned upon the walls carelessly seemed to hold a certain edge, an acute awareness disguised by the lackadaisical posture and ragged attire, but it did not take an exceptionally wise man to tell. These men were hunters, and they preyed upon those which wandered too deep into the depths of the city. This was all the more true, here, in The Shingles. The voice of the chattering crowds had died away here. Soft muttering from above in the second stories and rickety wooden balconies overlooking the street softly danced down. It was as if the city was a grant trumpet and a mute had been placed in its brass bell and its valve caps had been rusted and cracked. It was a strange and distorted song, yet it came from the same city.

Sleepy had never experienced this sensation, the presence of a city waiting to devour her whole. Crushed beneath the gears of political intrigue, the warped motives of shadowy crime lords and all manner of rogues and opportunists looking to carve out a living for another day. All the books in the world could not gift her the wisdom of experience. Yet Lisren, born in squalor and without education, was neither wise nor particularly intelligent - but this was his home. He was a creature of habitual survival, with silver tongue and even finer polished reflexes. He didn't need to understand the why or how, he knew people. Information was his shield and the rest relied on agility honed here upon the twisting beams of metal and wood which lay mangled across the tops of the buildings in a twisted web. A decade as a Roof Runner had put him on a level which even surpassed the prowess of The Catsdew Lofties. He was perhaps one of the most skilled Runner in The Red City.

As they continued forward, they made their way through a series of strange bends and turns which brought them through a number of walls into abandoned buildings and finally a stone staircase. Its steps were stained with thick grime and sludge, a blackish-brown goo with a ripe smell fit to make even the stoutest of men wretch. Lisren paused at the steps which led down into a dark hall. His nose wrinkled up in revolution. "Er, Well... Sorry luv'. Looks like dis 'ere is gonna get just'a right-bit messy." He pulled on his scarf and poured the last bit of water unto it before wrapping the damp cloth around his face and placing his polished goggles over his eyes. The strangeness of the leather and crystal lenses was something of a marvel in itself, another piece the young man had restored from little more then discarded trash from some nameless soul who couldn't understand the value of the broken thing he held. The long baggy cloths he wore drapped over his form entirely making it difficult to make out his figure. He adjusted his Longsleeves, a form of gaiters for the arms made of a thick canvas tarp traditionally used by masons and other artisans who performed their craft in high or closed spaces in Korvosa. In The Shingles professional thieves who could afford the garment used it as a tool to hide their hands any any such tools or weapons they might conceal until the proper time. The boy bit down on one of the leather belts to tighten it on his upper arm. "These bloody Sczarni sure know how teh pick'a hideout. Dis lil' pit below is one'a dem holes The Rat's Teat Boys like teh hide. Ain't'a mind to fight'a pack of dem wererats if ya know wat I mean. If we go an' stumble up on em, give em a nap. Better then havin' teh kill em and start a war wit' da' sods."

While she may not have been familiar with all the inner workings of the city, she could understand well enough the situation. Lisren, a member of The Doves, was assisting a Pathfinder - herself, because he owed a favor to the Venture-Captain. However, doing so put him in a precarious position. The criminal which was to be apprehended - alive if possible, a Sczarni thug known as 'Hands' or Jim Hands, was not very well liked but he was still a Sczarni - a member of one of the traditional crime families which ruled the world of organized crime in Varisia. If Hands had found refuge with The Rat's Teat Boys, a violent gang of men rumored to be wererats that were deeply rooted in the smuggling and movements beneath Old Korvosa. Though it was only a passing mention in her books, the rat-men were said to be in service to House Arkona or Korvosa, one of the oldest and the most powerful noble house in the city-state with strong Chellish ties that could very well tip the scale of power for all of Varisia if they were to be provoked by their careless actions. Korvosa was still by all rights a Chellish colony, and if wards of House Arkona were to be accosted it could very well be spun off as an act of war between the nations... Indeed. The Sczarni knew how to pick their hide outs very carefully indeed.

The pair made their way down the dark steps below, the light begun to quickly fade. Only thin slivers of sunlight creped through the corridor until they reached a large stone door. Their footsteps sunk into the thick sludge which covered the floor. It took great effort to retract a foot and place it elsewhere. It threatened to rip off one's boot and leave it stuck in the muck, and even successfully removing a foot left a slowly closing hole as the goo slowly filled back in. The foul smell only intensified as they stood in front of the doorway. Lisren silently nodded as he opened the portal revealing a large room of pitch black space. No light filtered into its depths and nothing seemed to move... then suddenly the smell caught them both squarely.

"For the love of Densa! Please tell me ya brought a damn light..."

The room is completely and utterly dark. Characters without Darkvision or a source of light are blind. Low-Light Vision does not grant sight in complete darkness.

Low-Light Vision (Ex)

A creature with low-light vision can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of dim light. It retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.

Each round characters must succeed a DC16 Fortitude Save for be Sickened for 1d4 rounds with a cumulative duration. Each success against this effect grants you a cumulative +2 bonus against this effect as characters begin to adjust to the foul smell. Characters without nose or eyes are not effected by this condition.

Providing cover to ones mouth/nose grants that character a +2 circumstance bonus. Dampening the cover with clean water grants an additional +2 circumstance bonus. Covering ones eyes, to include closing ones eyes grants an additional +4 circumstance bonus against this effect. Upon reaching a +15 Fortitude Save against this effect, this effect ends as the character is now acclimated to the environment.

Almighty Eevee
2016-08-01, 02:28 PM
When the fumes hit her, Sleepy shut her eyes tightly and held her nose shut as the sickening fumes washed over her. After she adjusted to the smell she let go of her nose and adjusted to it. "Lisren are you positive he is down here? Its horrendous down here. I hardly believe any living thing is down here." She muttered under her breath while casting light onto the tip of her scythe to illuminate the room. She held the scythe in front of her to try and brighten the room.

"There we are. Now then, are you still going to lead or am I?" She asked tilting her head to look at Lisren.

Mornings
2016-08-02, 12:37 AM
Part I: Big Trouble In Little Korvosa

The Korvosan thief staggered as the wave of disgusting air hit him. He nodded curtly. "Ye, da' sod's down 'ere alright... Ugh." Sleepy clenched her eyes shut and pinched her nose to rebuke the sudden cloud of noxious fumes. It was foul. Something akin to the smell of feces covered decaying bodies lathered with peanut butter and sewage, left to bake for several centuries in a natural oven beneath the city's streets. After then sensation passed, she lifted her hand before her brow beginning completing the somatic component of her spell, a word of command set the tip of her finger with a point of bluish energy. Tapping the top of Shiverpine, the long scythe she carried, the wrought-iron of the blade flickered to life emitting a pool of illumination in an explosive orb of arcane energy. Far stronger then any witch before her, the magic shimmered with eldritch might. The short boy didn't seem to be fairing as well, as the dusty brown of his skin seemed to become green. He jerked away suddenly, pulling the scarf from his mouth to wretch. His breakfast of mutton and blueberry juice did not taste as pleasant coming back up to visit him again. After a moment coughing and gagging he covered his face with his scarf once again.

He shook his head. "Gotta give ya' credit Ash, for a magical couch-ornament, ya've got'a hardy disposition teh stomach this place....(cough) In any case, I'm sure we're going the right way. One of me ol' lads, Kredesly Presprin tracked this lot fer' meh. Things got sticky, but this is where that sod Hands was holdin' up. By the way, your Korvosan is hoppin'-right terrible, you gather that bit from'a book? No one speaks like dat in Old Town, and doubly so not in da bloody Shingles. You sound like a blimey Cheliaxian School Teach'a from the country-proper. Sure, we gots fancy words and that-an'-this, but we bloody made em' up. " He pulled the side of his vest over the scabbard of the extremely well maintained and fanciful long-knife at his side. It was a blade of high-polished blued silver and mithril. Small gems of clear gems were set in its pommel with a strange starry orientation adorning its hilt. The weapon seemed highly ornamentation, or a weapon once wielded by some lavish lord with a penchant for night and its heavenly bodies. It was the only visible weapon on the roguish boy from the rough streets above, which meant, in these parts - that he had at least a dozen or so weapons which could not be seen. "Looks like dis' ol' bill gets nice an' nasty up ahead in the narrow bits. I'll lead on." Just as he said, it appeared the chamber which lay before them narrowed off into a single hallway only 5ft wide ahead. The grime seemed to lessen down that particular hall as if the way was well traveled.

The nimble child picked his steps carefully down the hall moving ahead of the mage and placed his ear to the door. "...Sounds like someone's home. Fair bit of em to. Sound's like some of Hand's men. Filthy, right-filthy buggers. Not exceptionally talented, mind. But they can great creative - and that'd be a problem if we plannin' on pressin' on. It's your call teh make how we go about dealin' with dis' lot. But i'd just give em an ol' prick with the pig-sticker and call it good. But, I may just be a tad out of my right mind... My mouth tastes like da south-side of an Orc's arse, and I must admit, that is quite vexing." He slid his small hand into the confines of his long and baggy cloths, grasping something under his coat, vest scarves and loose garments - while resting the other hand on the doors large iron latch.

Sleepy Ash - Standard Action: Casts Light
Sleepy Ash - Passes Fort Save vs Sickening Fumes, gains +2 Bonus vs Effect

Lisren Crowley - Fails Fort Save, Sickened [1] Round

Lisren readies an action: Ready (Standard Action) - Startoss Comet
Lisren will withold Immediate Action: (Flick of The Wrist) for target which approaches within 30ft

Sleepy must decide how to go about dealing with the men of Jim Hands. It is well known that Hands is not well regarded even by his crew - and perhaps some agreement could be reached with the thugs. However, no one can fully account for the honor of criminals. Likewise, fighting the criminals is not without its own risks. As a safe point, there could be any number of traps or unseen factors in place beyond the door which lay before them.

Conditions & Effects: Sickening Fumes
Each round characters must succeed a DC16 Fortitude Save for be Sickened for 1d4 rounds with a cumulative duration. Each success against this effect grants you a cumulative +2 bonus against this effect as characters begin to adjust to the foul smell. Characters without nose or eyes are not effected by this condition.

Providing cover to ones mouth/nose grants that character a +2 circumstance bonus. Dampening the cover with clean water grants an additional +2 circumstance bonus. Covering ones eyes, to include closing ones eyes grants an additional +4 circumstance bonus against this effect. Upon reaching a +15 Fortitude Save against this effect, this effect ends as the character is now acclimated to the environment.

Almighty Eevee
2016-08-02, 12:35 PM
Sleepy quickly turned away as she bit back the urge to empty her own stomach along with the Thief. Its not like I prefer this...stench either Crowly. Also please forgive me for speaking with the same dialect, I find its easier to communicate if you happen to e-nun-ci-ate She huffed with contempt as she removed her hood and tied it around the lower half of her face. She held up her hand to her brow to cast another spell, this time directing the magic that came from her word of power to her hood. The young witch took a cautionary sniff and let out a sigh of relief.

With her nose no longer wanting to flee from her face she turned back to follow Lisren through the halls. She stopped and crouched near the door as well but was unable to hear anything. "It would be the most efficient if we went through the front right? We would be cutting off one of his routes of escape and even if they live in these...area's its hard to imagine them living deeper in where its probably much worse. Now, just get ready to open the door and get down when you do, I think its time we shed some light on this crew.

Sleepy smirked to herself knowing what was about to come and put her scythe on the ground, reluctantly, and pulled a wand out of her pillow. She then closed her eyes in concentration and nodded to her companion to show she was ready.

Sleepy Ash- Standard Action: Cast Prestidigitation on her hood to change the smell
Sleepy readies an action: Ready (Standard Action) -Create Soulward Rune

Sleepy Ash - Fails Fort Save, Sickened [3] Rounds

Mornings
2016-08-02, 02:52 PM
Part I: Big Trouble In Little KorvosaConditions & Effects: Sickening Fumes

Lisren Acclimation: 15/16
Sleepy Acclimation: 6/16

Lisren shook his head as the diminutive witch's face begun to change colors, the foul stench was no less repulsive after a moment basking in it. "Not much sure wats an 'Nun-she-ate', but guess dats why ya' sound like'a dean's clerk." Sleepy's eyes burned from the horrid smell, it was as if she were swimming in a pool flooded with chlorine. As she released her scythe, the old steel of the weapon stood on end in the muck slowly sinking. Her small hand produced a wand from the fluffy pillow clenched under her arm. It was a fancy device made of some strange translucent metal rather then wood. Lisren visibly flinched, his voice a slight stutter; "I'll beh straight wit' ya, luv. I'm on the finger-wiggling lights an' all dat. Honestly, I can't really stand the strangeness of it - not da' only one either. The magic'y stuff ain't exactly the most fond of occupations in Old Town. We a superstitious lot as is, if ya' catch my meaning. So I would greatly appreciate if ya' didn't blow 'off me 'ead when dat' ol' stick goes - Crack."

It was no secret that in the less fortunate areas of the city, and among the ill-educated that fear of magic was a rampant condition. It was often the tool employed by those in the service of lords to cull the common peoples into compliance. A fact capitalized by The Red Queen of Korvosa, and her Grey Maidens. The poor folk and the natives of Varisia which more often then not could be found in Old Town were the undesirables of a more traditional Chellish society - factors which the nobility would gladly purge from the city if they could without reprisal from their neighbors. In Lisren's case, he fit into both those classifications. A native born Korvosan of Shoanti descent. His ashy brown skin was nothing less then a capital affront to the pale porcelain-white of pure-blooded Chellish highborn stock. The Varisan Witches native to the region, called gypsies were more often then not the source of the unease and fear that many of these commoners held. Fears that were not entirely unfounded. But even that aside, Lisren did have a point - Wands did detonate when damaged or destroyed...

Not missing the timing, Lisren opened the door and pulled off to the side. The light from Sleepy's half buried scythe seeped into the room where a dozen glowing beady eyes turned in their direction. Goblinfolk. Both orcs and kobolds, and even some creatures in between were littered about the room tearing into stolen foodstuffs no doubt from the butcher's shop a block or two from where they had descended. A large gnoll wearing tattered green and brown rags fastened with leather bands decorated with beads of bone glowered out from across the room with a twisted wooden staff in hand. Her raspy voice howled out over the filth-caked chamber - "KILL THEM!!! " just as the room begun to spring into motion, Lisren raised up a hand and shouted over the screaming horde - "WAAAIIIIT!!!"

The ragged creatures stopped abruptly, unsure what he was about. "Vridi, is that you? Ya dun work for bloody Jim Hands..." The large female gnoll seemed to recoil when addressed, "...Lisren. You shouldn't have come here." The boy grinned boldly, though he still kept a hand behind his back defensively.

Lisren maintains Readied Action: Startoss Comet at target which approaches within 30ft

Almighty Eevee
2016-08-03, 09:15 AM
Since the room was now distracted by the strange interaction by Lisren and the female gnoll now known to her as Vridi, Sleepy raised her hands and closed her eyes tightly as she casted her rune into existence. "I don't think you have room to talk about his choices, especially after the ones you made." Sleepy stated with a frown as she opened her eyes and pointed her wand forward, making sure to keep it pointed away from Lisren. "Now then, I would rather not stay here longer then I have to, so do remove yourself from our path, I'll even sing you a little song." She added with smile at the end.

Sleepy kept her wand raised as she started to fill the room with her voice.

"There once was a witch named Sleepy Ash,
who lived inside the woods.
Legend says if you look at her,
Then you'll be hers for good.

In the woods so cold at night,
the monster's howls bring remorse.
The only way to escape them,
Is through sleep, sleep of course.

In the woods of Sleepy Ash,
A child sings her song.
Either go with the Child,
Or the monster will bring you along.

In the Legend of Sleepy Ash,
you ought to run and hide.
For if you don't heed my warning,
You might just fall down and die."

Sleepy Ash- Immediate: Casted Soulward Rune as a Readied Action.

Sleepy Ash- Standard: Casted Fascinate DC/16 Will Save on Vridi

Sleepy Ash - Fails Fort Save, Sickened [3] Rounds

Fascinate (Su): At 1st level, a bard can use his performance to cause one or more creatures to become fascinated with him. Each creature to be fascinated must be within 90 feet, able to see and hear the bard, and capable of paying attention to him. The bard must also be able to see the creatures affected. The distraction of a nearby combat or other dangers prevents this ability from working. For every three levels the bard has attained beyond 1st, he can target one additional creature with this ability.

Each creature within range receives a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 the bard's level + the bard's Cha modifier) to negate the effect. If a creature's saving throw succeeds, the bard cannot attempt to fascinate that creature again for 24 hours. If its saving throw fails, the creature sits quietly and observes the performance for as long as the bard continues to maintain it. While fascinated, a target takes a –4 penalty on all skill checks made as reactions, such as Perception checks. Any potential threat to the target allows the target to make a new saving throw against the effect. Any obvious threat, such as someone drawing a weapon, casting a spell, or aiming a weapon at the target, automatically breaks the effect.

Fascinate is an enchantment (compulsion), mind-affecting ability. Fascinate relies on audible and visual components in order to function.

Mornings
2016-08-05, 12:02 AM
Part I: Big Trouble In Little KorvosaConditions & Effects: Sickening Fumes

Lisren Acclimation: 15/16
Sleepy Acclimation: 6/16

The large gnoll snarled at Sleepy's prattling. The initial hesitation replaced by tense unease, as if waiting for one of them to make a move. The boy had bought them a brief pause, enough to break the momentum against that which would have seen them mobbed down by the pack of grisly kobolds and their bugbear companions. Vridi's pack, The Rotting Bones was not an ordinary band of goblinkin. They were zealous and furious fighters, worshiping some strange nameless god of murder and violence which the old gnoll was shaman to. The black furred kobolds were nearly triple the size of their lesser kin, and like their fellow packmates, were covered in bloody burning runic brands. The strange and profane markings glowed slightly with an orange light. The beasts growled, thick drool oozed down exposed maws, their hair on end. Their twitching ears and nostrils hinted at how they awaited the slaughter. The burned and blackened steel of their iron swords seemed to redden and hiss with heat. The massive dark bugbears carried similar weapons, clubs of blackened metal charred and smoking with a strange heat. Lisren raised up both his hands in a gesture of peace. "..Now, now ladies. No need to fight over me."

Sleepy raised her hand and clenched her fist. An explosive circle of radiant energy carved itself into the air. The very shape of the light cast about them from her imbued scythe seemed to bend and fracture, small fissure's of cascading energy split and cracked some intangible surface which lingered about them, as if the rune had been carved upon the face of glass, and that glass - The Material Plane, begun to crumble. Seals of spiraling crimson sigils whirled to life, rushing forth to flood the world with the luminescence of a crimson sun. Sleepy's hair burned with neon-red and her eyes were filled with an infernal ruby gleam. The wretched slime and goo which lay caked upon the stone halls retreated from her very presence and a maelstrom of garnet shade manifested in a churning aura of eldritch might. Even the shadows cast by blinding display were stripped of their blackness and dyed in the red hue of the energies which crashed forth in overwhelming waves from some nameless plane beyond The Great Beyond. A chorus rose as the annihilating light washed upon them. A rising cacophonous song of a dozen screaming guttural voices. The creatures howled and bayed as the light cleaved into their sensitive lenses, causing the delicate tissues to rupture and spill over from the blistered tissue within their sockets. Tears of blood, accompanied by a sightless aria made for such a macabre and speechless sight. The large gnoll screamed and shouted, suddenly crying out a string of foul arcane words - From the tip of her staff bolts of sapphire energy streaked out. Without wasting a second, Lisren dove to his side to intercept the arcane assault directed at the petite witch. His hand snapped out in the direction of the nearest beastie. From the folds of his sleeves a small device whistled out with the violent force of a bullet. The crystal stake hammered through the skull of the creature while the young man's arms went into blinding motion, pumping out and in from the folds of his vest faster then one could process. A second bolt of pinkish glass hammered into the first, deflecting off the initial bolt to strike the creature adjacent to the first who caught the third bolt no one had seen in the throat. The deflected shot plunged into another kobold's eye, spewing a stream of thick blood down its face. The beast screamed in blind pain as the first victim fell face first to the filth-covered stone with a sickening splatter. The first bolt of magic met him almost at the exact time the creature fell. The orb of light crashed into his face, shattering his nose and sending him staggering back as a second met him square in the ribs with a sharp crack which left him on his knees. The final ray of energy smashed into Sleepy catching her squarely between the eyes. Her world was sent spinning into motion, her vision blurred and she could taste the blood which had begun to run down her face. Her eyes crossed and her body trembled and shook from the violent impact. She wasn't breathing. She teetered left, and then right, swaying before hitting the wall - catching herself before she fell. She shook it off, the sharp pain above her eye and in the back of her skull was agonizing and almost left her dazed. The skin had already begun to swell. Likely left with more then a concussion, she was sure if she had caught even another projectile she'd surely be dead...

Lisren gasped on the ground drolling blood, when she suddenly noticed the whirling sound in the air, followed by the familiar echo of metal against stone, then a terrible scream. She looked up, to see Vridi violently shaking her head back and forth in agony, leaving her hair in a wild mane. She clenched her ankle which was split at the Achilles, before crashing to the ground on her back. She didn't see it, and she wasn't sure when... But somehow at some point, Crowley had cast another blade to exchange blows with the beastly creature. The boy staggered as he attempted to regain his footing, leaning to the left side as if he was simply about to topple over. He looked over his shoulder, his left eye was swollen shut, his nose smashed and pointing at an odd angle, a tooth was missing and his face was painted with lacerations and blood - he gave a thumbs up, then crept back a step to the wall.

The enemies still blind and in a frenzy, stumbled about trying to gather themselves - they couldn't see them and didn't understand what had even occurred. Though it hurt, Sleepy begun her song. Nearly half of the creatures fell into the enchanting tune, sitting upon the ground as if caught in a stupor - blind and bleeding from their blistered sockets, like some cruel joke. Those which resisted the influence of the ethreal melody simply fought to stay upon their own feet. The pandemonium caused by the sudden event was more then they could recover from in so short a time.