PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Warrior (My attempt to Replicate Dragon Age Warrior in the 5E System)

RATHSQUATCH
2016-07-31, 07:15 PM
As the title indicates, this is my attempt to replicate the Warrior class from Dragon for a campaign I'm going to be running based off the Dragon Age Origins storyline. I have a group of friends that have never played any of the games but are interested in playing it in a 5E style. I'm looking for feedback on whether this class fits with the 5E theme and how you feel it would compare to other 5E Classes.

A few notes:

* As per the Dragon Age games, there will be no multi-classing.
* This is only one of three classes (to include Rogue and Mage, which I'm working on)
* The idea is try to get as close to the theme of the Dragon Age games through 5E Mechanics
* 5E Feats are not allowed, only Ability Score Increases at 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th levels.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SJgRVhsu

Thanks for much in advance for any feedback you can provide.

EDIT: To change URL and make clarifications based on what I'm working on.

JNAProductions
2016-07-31, 07:31 PM
You have starting equipment include medium armor, but this class lacks proficiency in anything but light.

Right, read through the Archery chain. Overpowered. Do I have any reason to believe the other ones are anything less than that?

RATHSQUATCH
2016-07-31, 07:39 PM
You have starting equipment include medium armor, but this class lacks proficiency in anything but light.

Right, read through the Archery chain. Overpowered. Do I have any reason to believe the other ones are anything less than that?

As far as staring equipment, your warrior starts with one proficiency (So they can take Medium armor if they want to, or 4 additional weapon proficiencies).

As far as the abilities, I considered using "stamina points" in combination with the recharge, but am unsure of how much that would change everything. I also see the power level is high especially in the first 5 levels, after that, I'm torn, this warrior doesn't get any extra attacks except through certain talents and then there is a recharge, and they don't benefit from Action Surge like fighters do. Could limiting these abilities to once per short rest make this more playable?

I am very grateful for your feedback!

JNAProductions
2016-07-31, 07:59 PM
Well, let me put it this way-you can get Arrow of Slaying by level 4.

Then multiclass into Rogue or Paladin.

See an issue there?

RATHSQUATCH
2016-07-31, 08:01 PM
Well, let me put it this way-you can get Arrow of Slaying by level 4.

Then multiclass into Rogue or Paladin.

See an issue there?

Ah, I didn't explain. There will only be three classes Rogue, Warrior, Mage and Sneak Attack wouldn't be a Rogue ability. Also, as per Dragon Age game rules, there will be no multi-classing. My apologies.

Agrippa
2016-07-31, 08:01 PM
As far as staring equipment, your warrior starts with one proficiency (So they can take Medium armor if they want to, or 4 additional weapon proficiencies).

As far as the abilities, I considered using "stamina points" in combination with the recharge, but am unsure of how much that would change everything. I also see the power level is high especially in the first 5 levels, after that, I'm torn, this warrior doesn't get any extra attacks except through certain talents and then there is a recharge, and they don't benefit from Action Surge like fighters do. Could limiting these abilities to once per short rest make this more playable?

I am very grateful for your feedback!

How do I get out of the edit page into a normal view page?

JNAProductions
2016-07-31, 08:02 PM
Ah, I didn't explain. There will only be three classes Rogue, Warrior, Mage and Sneak Attack wouldn't be a Rogue ability. Also, as per Dragon Age game rules, there will be on multi-classing. My apologies.

You might want to make that more clear in the OP. It's totally fine for this class to be overpowered compared to the PHB classes, then-just so long as all the other classes are on a similar level of power.

RATHSQUATCH
2016-07-31, 08:02 PM
How do I get out of the edit page into a normal view page?

RATHSQUATCH
2016-07-31, 08:07 PM
You might want to make that more clear in the OP. It's totally fine for this class to be overpowered compared to the PHB classes, then-just so long as all the other classes are on a similar level of power.

I'm working on the Rogue and Mage currently, I'll post them here as well for comparison. Sorry for the confusion, I've fixed that as best I can.

Agrippa
2016-07-31, 08:17 PM

Thank, I'll actually be able to review it now.

Agrippa
2016-08-01, 02:15 AM
Okay then, I've read through it and so far I like it. While they aren't automatically proficient in medium or heavy armor the warrior classes proficiency feature lets them pick it up as they progress, which does appeal to me. Overall the warrior seems to be a solid class. Good job RATHSQUATCH.

RATHSQUATCH
2016-08-01, 08:06 AM
Okay then, I've read through it and so far I like it. While they aren't automatically proficient in medium or heavy armor the warrior classes proficiency feature lets them pick it up as they progress, which does appeal to me. Overall the warrior seems to be a solid class. Good job RATHSQUATCH.

Thanks. I'm sure it's not a "final product" on this, but I think it at least has the "feel" of Dragon Age the way it would play in 5E.

PotatoGolem
2016-08-04, 08:39 AM
I have two big qualms with the proficiency system:

1) it makes warriors too good of skill monkeys, which they weren't in origins. This warrior gets basically every skill, or expertise in a bunch of them. It's too much.

2) it nerfs strength based warriors. Dex warriors only need martial weapon prof, so they're fully functional and come online at level 1. Str- based need medium and heavy prof plus martial prof, so they're not viable until level 3. Further, str warriors get two less profs as a result.

I'd give them medium and heavy armor natively (and maybe martial weapons) and cut added proficiencies to every three or four levels.

Also, have you run dpr calculations for each talent tree? It looks right now like sword and board would deal a lot more damage than 2h, since it gets extra attacks and 2h just gets one extra damage die abilities.

RATHSQUATCH
2016-08-04, 09:25 AM
I have two big qualms with the proficiency system:

1) it makes warriors too good of skill monkeys, which they weren't in origins. This warrior gets basically every skill, or expertise in a bunch of them. It's too much.

2) it nerfs strength based warriors. Dex warriors only need martial weapon prof, so they're fully functional and come online at level 1. Str- based need medium and heavy prof plus martial prof, so they're not viable until level 3. Further, str warriors get two less profs as a result.

I'd give them medium and heavy armor natively (and maybe martial weapons) and cut added proficiencies to every three or four levels.

Also, have you run dpr calculations for each talent tree? It looks right now like sword and board would deal a lot more damage than 2h, since it gets extra attacks and 2h just gets one extra damage die abilities.

These are all great points. I have not done a DPR because I'm borderline innumerate, but I could see how the weapon/shield combo does get more attacks, but on most of those attacks, they are dealing less damage (because either they cannot apply their STR or DEX modifier or it is with the shield (which does less damage). If you have a spreadsheet I could pump abilities into to check, I most certainly could do that.

In regards to proficiencies, I was trying to replicate the Warrior's ability to use Influence like they can in Dragon Age, but perhaps I should limit the skill tree they can select from, which would make sense because they shouldn't be able to select Sleight of Hand (or at least they couldn't in Dragon Age) or even Stealth (again a Rogue only thing).