PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other FoB Redux Advanced rules (brainstorming creativity dump)

BelGareth
2016-07-31, 08:10 PM
I'm using this to create some additional rules for Fields of Blood, as well as a possible redux for the system, which is great, but has many crazy holes in it.

First thing I'm wanting to do is, is a multi part economy system.

We need to establish what kinds of resources are needed/used
Create the assets that can work each resource (these assets will be built on adjacent hexes, much like Civ 4)
Figure out what each resource does or what y raw resource turns into x what
establish a baseline cost for each resource.
Create market rules for merchants

The big idea here, is to allow players who have a market, freely trade, and provide a not-so-complicated system for a real player driven economy.

Goes like this:

Market comes with 1 merchant.
Players receive resources (raw and finished) and then assign a cost they are willing to sell.
Merchants can trade in any other market the nation is not currently at war with.
Players send their merchants to other markets to buy resources at their prices.
Travel to and from markets is assumed to take ~1 month, allowing each player to this every turn in a FoB game.

Rinse and repeat.

This should allow for players to adjust costs and purchase things they want they are short.
Random encounters will be such things as bad harvest, you lose half your foodstock.
Upkeep for troops will be changed to foostock, weapons and armor.
Foodstock is simplified to be generic, as well as other things that have no need to be specific.
Ore will be generic, because DnD has no need for copper, bronze, steel etc..Stone as well.
Special ores like Mithral and adamantium will not, and will most likley have the highest prices on the free market.

Other things to do, redefine/recreate the combat statistics of units and cities.

Thoughts
Units can have nearly identical stats as DnD monsters, using law of averages.
Same as forts and cities, missing a few as needed.

BelGareth
2016-07-31, 08:32 PM
Items in DnD:

Foodstuff
Ore
Mithral ore
Adamantium ore
Cold iron ore
Wood
Darkwood
Stone
Gold/silver/precious metals & gems

Possibly resources to harvest from

Foodstuff - > plains/river/lake
Ore - > marsh/hills/mountains
Mithral ore - > special resource indicator
Adamantium ore - > special resource indicator
Cold iron ore - > special resource indicator
Wood - > trees
Darkwood - > special resource indicator
Stone - > quarry/hills/plains
Gold/silver/precious metals & gems- > marsh/hills/mountains

These shouldn't be perticularly essential concidering that players won't necessarily have a given one. (dang, I'm getting settlers of catan flashbacks here)
Planes->wheat->bread
Forest->wood->lumber
Mountains->stone->masondry
aquatic->shells&scales->jewlery&weapons
desert->glass->bottles&windows
marsh->tar->Oils
underground->magic fungi->magical components

I need to double check the list...
Lol, indeed.
aquatic forest desert hill marsh mountains plains underground
wel, its not impossible to gather food from forrest, or mountains...so that could be variable or maybe even just x/y/z hexes can provide food.
Yup, but it'd probably give a production mod or cover upkeep under siege. Something nonesential.
could define a unit of any given resource, and then your pop center produces x amount of units per +10% bonus you have in that resource?
Hmm? like asserts, government mods, and realm moral?
Kinda, like how a smelter provides +50%, then you net 5 units of refined ore products or the like. Needs to define moreassets, though, which is what i want to do anyway.
Oh, so make 25% and 50% assets for each and make an unrefined and a refined version of the base materials?
yeah.
Cooleo
desert could provide oil -> something
issue is, it has to be relevant to DnD, and usable as a cost for buildings and possibly troops.
nice, that makes sense

(from above)

Planes->wheat->bread
Forest->wood->lumber
Mountains->stone->masondry
aquatic->shells&scales->jewlery&weapons
desert->glass->bottles&windows
marsh->tar->Oils
underground->magic fungi->magical components

What makes wheat better as a food is that it stores better then fruits and fish. ^_^

yeah, this is definitely got some boiled down details, obviously, a nation cannot exist off wheat alone, so planes could even just be, foodstuff, heck aquatic could provide that as well.
I think perticularly for siege (wheat) The notion being that it's not all that people are eatting.
true, and having something specific tickles the players imagination.
so i like them, except Aqautic, and desert. I'm not seeing much of a need for bottles and jewlrey in regards to building costs
Well, bottles are used for carrying water, components, potions, storing food, ect.
Jewlery makes your people happy, impressive, and more beautious.
Likewise they'll give corrisponding mods to stuff.
hmm, ok, so we would have to price things accordingly, like a church upgrade would need x jewlrey, bottles, oils and masony to be upgraded.
Ah, I was gonna set them paralell. If for instance wheat counted as a supply cache of size X/unit of wheat, if weapons gave a -10% discount on weapons/armor for one turn/X weapons
ooh, thats interesting. woudl ahve to come up with one for each, only thing though, is if cities are creating these units every turn, they need to use them as well, so as not to bloat the market. and provide a reason to trade.
Yup.
So maybe a middle ground, they provide this bonus for x amount of units?
Yup but only for X turns. I think they should all be expendable.
yeah, that makes sense, honestly, i would make it last only for 1 month. (1 turn)
Or some/week, others/season. And let them store as long as they want and replenish/season
yeah, there is definitley a balance to be had with complicated stuff vs simple.
yeah, magic can explain a lot of the fudgery.
=p
i like this. So need to stamp out the specific bonuses, and assets for each hex type.
Start at the top and work down?
good as start as any.
Wheat, I'm thinking acts as a supply cache but of what RP value/unit. (I was thinking ot have bread to either double or 1.5X what wheat does)
Crop rotation & Farming, crop rotation would be the advanced version
Hmm. Book says crop rotation&irragation.
I would double the bonuse, goes along with the 20 - 50%, maybe we should set the assets to 25% bonus from the start, instead fo 20 to mirror this. Sure, so 1/+25%? Probably simpler to say that crop rotation gives you 1 unit wheat and irrigation gives you 2 of bread or something. (maybe we should change bread to rice to fit the fluff beter)
Ah, that makes sense then to use that.
We could make it 1 unit of product/CR
Perfect, soudns good to me. Provides bonuse and resources to use. Rice could work,
Works for me. (I figured because most of the world lives off rice we can give it some love by making it the higher production value even though players are probaly more likely of western roots.)

Next, wood/lumber from lumber campsand sawmlls.
wood->... slightly less reduction ot buildings? (discount on fortifications?) Yeah, but I'm thinking this to be the biggest discount because fortifications are probably leveled most often and quite expencive to build. It'd be nice to give them some love in so far as to incorporate them into tactics a bit more. True, i would be fine with this, lots of lumber is used in fortifications.
Oh, no, that was stone. Wood I was suggesting a lesser version of lumber. Perhaps that'd be a good take on magic mushrooms too.

lumber->decreased cost of buildings in your cities? (markets, ports, hospitals, ect.)
oh yeah, thats insane, very nice touch, will be sought after and traded a lot.
Not sure about wood though...

Stone-> slightly less reduction to fortifications
masondy->dirt cheep fortification

shells&scales-> Moral bonus&lost with the units?
jewlery (command bonus&lost with the commander)&weapons (cheeper weapons?)

glass-> smaller building reduction
bottles&windows(Cheeper potions&?) dicsount on higher level guilds and special buildings (like ports and castles)
I'm thinking more for units There are oils and componsnts that'll probably effect guilds.

tar- >Slightly lower building upkeep or lets you last the first... what unit of time are sieges in?
Oils ->Reduces guild upkeep slightly.

magic fungi -> I know. =p May recruit a level 5 caster commander?
magical components ->Reduce the cost of a realm spell (nice)

__________________________________________________ ___________________
Wheat, I'm thinking acts as a supply cache but of what RP value/unit. (I was thinking ot have bread to either double or 1.5X what wheat does)
simpler to say that crop rotation gives you 1 unit wheat and irrigation gives you 2 of rice

__________________________________________________ ___________________
Next, wood/lumber from lumber campsand sawmlls.
wood->... slightly less reduction ot buildings in your cities?
lumber->decreased cost of buildings in your cities? (markets, ports, hospitals, ect.)

From mines/smelters
Stone-> slightly less reduction to fortifications
masondy->dirt cheep fortification

shells&scales-> Moral bonus&lost with the units?
jewlery (command bonus&lost with the commander)

glass-> smaller building reduction
bottles&windowsCheeper potions (for units)

tar- >Slightly lower building upkeep or lets you last the first... what unit of time are sieges in?
Oils ->Reduces guild upkeep slightly.

magic fungi -> slight reduction to realm spell
magical components ->Reduce the cost of a realm spell