PDA

View Full Version : Making D.VA in D&D 3.5

Averyck
2016-07-31, 09:04 PM
I've been wracking my brain trying to think of ways to build the characters from Overwatch, specifically D.VA, as D&D 3.5 gestalt characters, and I'm straight at a loss. I've already got a Rheinhardt style build, and a couple builds that I have can be reflavored or refitted to match character concepts, but I'm seriously stuck with D.VA.

Core Ideas:
Must have a mech that's expendable and re-summonable, but good at close range
Some sort of front facing shield (Defense Barrier)
Short-range acceleration (Rocket Boost)
If the mech dies, I can still be useful (D.VA's plasma gun)

My only thoughts so far are gestalting artificer with warlock, and riding around in an effigy, but those are expensive, and the style I'm going for is kinda an insult to the Tier "0" that is the artificer. Plus I need to stay balanced with a tier 3-4 party. All sources are open and valid, including dragon magazine as long as I can source where it came from.
Any thoughts?

Gullintanni
2016-07-31, 09:31 PM
I've been wracking my brain trying to think of ways to build the characters from Overwatch, specifically D.VA, as D&D 3.5 gestalt characters, and I'm straight at a loss. I've already got a Rheinhardt style build, and a couple builds that I have can be reflavored or refitted to match character concepts, but I'm seriously stuck with D.VA.

Core Ideas:
Must have a mech that's expendable and re-summonable, but good at close range
Some sort of front facing shield (Defense Barrier)
Short-range acceleration (Rocket Boost)
If the mech dies, I can still be useful (D.VA's plasma gun)

My only thoughts so far are gestalting artificer with warlock, and riding around in an effigy, but those are expensive, and the style I'm going for is kinda an insult to the Tier "0" that is the artificer. Plus I need to stay balanced with a tier 3-4 party. All sources are open and valid, including dragon magazine as long as I can source where it came from.
Any thoughts?

What about a Shaper Psion focusing on Astral Constructs? It's a little above your tier specification, but a refluffed Astral Construct makes for a fine Mecha.

MilleniaAntares
2016-07-31, 09:35 PM
Ask to use d20 modern.

Prime32
2016-07-31, 09:52 PM
Does the mech need to have a self-destruct function? That seems like one of the trickiest parts.

The easiest way to do this is probably a Summoner (Synthesist) from Pathfinder. Or just a regular Summoner with Mounted Combat, whose eidolon takes the Final Strike feat from Savage Species.

My first thought was a paladin mount, but paladins temporarily lose the ability to summon mounts if one dies, even if it's returned to life. There's a feat in Complete Psionic for making astral constructs that explode when they die, but it's not great.

MilleniaAntares
2016-07-31, 09:58 PM
If your GM allows third party Pathfinder material, I'd suggest looking at the Aegis (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/aegis). Alternatively, use Arcforge (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?452172-Dreamscarred-Press-Presents-quot-Arcforge-Technology-Expanded-quot) material, since it has mechs proper and a self-destruct ability, but I wouldn't count on being able to summon a mech soon afterward.

Defense Barrier isn't possible beyond the use of a tower shield, far as my limited knowledge goes. I have a homebrew idea, but eh.

Rocket Boost could work if you had a 1-round speed boost ability, but far as I can tell they're all multiround (haste, expeditious retreat, etc).

Some of this stuff could be easily homebrewed.

What about a Shaper Psion focusing on Astral Constructs? It's a little above your tier specification, but a refluffed Astral Construct makes for a fine Mecha.
If your DM allows third party, use Ectoskeleton (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/ectoskeleton).

Sayt
2016-07-31, 10:35 PM
Rocket Boost could work if you had a 1-round speed boost ability, but far as I can tell they're all multiround (haste, expeditious retreat, etc).

There is swift haste from ...spell compendium, I think?