PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Chest / Hand / Wrist item for caster?

Kurald Galain
2016-08-01, 06:47 AM
For a sorcerer in a Pathfinder game, I'm wondering if there are any useful magic items to wear in the chest, hand, or wrist slot? I can't really come up with anything; I'd also be interested in a useful eye slot item other than eyes of the eagle (which is very good but overused). Note that my concentration check is high enough that spellguard bracers aren't necessary, and that third-party material is not an option.

Thanks!

CigarPete
2016-08-01, 07:04 AM
Quick Runner's Shirt is always good for the chest slot.

First Aid Gloves are a great contingency item, especially if you only have one main healer-type. Otherwise, Gloves of Storing are great for swapping out metamagic rods or wands.

Psyren
2016-08-01, 09:59 AM
Note that Quick Runner's Shirt was nerfed in a recent errata. It is still 1/day, but now requires 24 hour attunement (so you can't swap them out) and ends your turn immediately after the bonus move, so that needs to be your last action that turn to make it worthwhile. (Personally I would go with Unfettered Shirt or Prophet's Pectoral instead, though the latter is more useful for wizards.)

Bracers of Armor are the go-to wrist items for a class that can't wear armor. They provide constant protection higher than that of Mage Armor while being harder to dispel and not taking up one of your spells known; also, even if you plan on using Mage Armor, you can still use the bracers to carry helpful armor properties like Deathless, Fortification or Spell Resistance.

Barstro
2016-08-01, 10:29 AM
also, even if you plan on using Mage Armor, you can still use the bracers to carry helpful armor properties like Deathless, Fortification or Spell Resistance.

Psyren, could you expand on this? Something I read before either stated or strongly implied that if items overlap, then the lesser one is not used and any bonus effects are likewise not used.

Thus,
1) Bracers +1 of Fortification
2) Mage Armor of +2

Gives AC bonus of +2. Since Bracers do not add to that, the Fortification part never has an effect.

Hopefully you can explain why I am wrong, since my character would like this as well.

Psyren
2016-08-01, 10:41 AM
Psyren, could you expand on this? Something I read before either stated or strongly implied that if items overlap, then the lesser one is not used and any bonus effects are likewise not used.

Thus,
1) Bracers +1 of Fortification
2) Mage Armor of +2

Gives AC bonus of +2. Since Bracers do not add to that, the Fortification part never has an effect.

Hopefully you can explain why I am wrong, since my character would like this as well.

Can you source the bold part? The AC part overlaps with Mage Armor but any other effect the bracers have isn't related to AC at all. Why do you think they wouldn't stack?

Kurald Galain
2016-08-01, 11:03 AM

You are correct. The bracers have the rule that "If a creature receives a larger armor bonus from another source, the bracers of armor cease functioning and do not grant their armor bonus or their armor special abilities."

Psyren
2016-08-01, 11:28 AM
Ah, I did miss that line. However, my point and therefore recommendation stands - once the bracers are +5 or better, you can still do away with Mage Armor and get an equivalent bonus + beneficial side effects rather than straight armor. Alternatively, you can just pump the bonus all the way to +8 with no properties at all.

Barstro
2016-08-01, 12:39 PM
Can you source the bold part? The AC part overlaps with Mage Armor but any other effect the bracers have isn't related to AC at all. Why do you think they wouldn't stack?

If I could have quickly cited a source, I would have answered my own question instead of wondered if my memory was correct. :smallsmile: Thanks for the quick response, though.

And thanks for the cite, Kurald Galain.

To the OP; my Witch had several fortunate uses of Gloves Bracers of Spell Storing; Vampiric Touch.

Âmesang
2016-08-02, 09:46 AM
I was getting worried there for a moment; fortunately that rule appears to exist only in Pathfinder, since I've a 3rd Edition character happily overlapping greater mage armor with "bracers of soulfire +1" to cut costs and because she can still share the former with her familiar or with allies and their mounts/companions/&c. :smalltongue:

And for some reason their version is weaker than the one present in the Arms and Equipment guide, too…

Kurald Galain
2016-08-02, 11:25 AM
Thanks, that covers chest and hand slot. Are there any wrist suggestions that aren't spellguard bracers? Any eyes slot items that aren't of the eagle?

Psyren
2016-08-02, 11:53 AM
If you're going to ask people for help, dismissing what you've already gotten with nary an acknowledgement strikes me as counterproductive at best and discourteous at worst.

Fogcutting Lenses or Goz Mask can be used in combination with Obscuring Mist, Fog Cloud and the like to let you cast spells while untargetable by most foes, even those with True Seeing.

Barstro
2016-08-02, 03:22 PM
Thanks, that covers chest and hand slot. Are there any wrist suggestions that aren't spellguard bracers? Any eyes slot items that aren't of the eagle?

Actually, the Spell Storing : Vampiric Touch was Bracers (wrist). I'll fix my earlier post.

Kurald Galain
2016-08-02, 03:39 PM
Actually, the Spell Storing : Vampiric Touch was Bracers (wrist). I'll fix my earlier post.

That's a clever combo for a spellcaster :smallcool:

Topaz
2016-08-03, 01:06 AM
Since the Hands slot seems to be back in play, a Glove of Storing (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/glove-of-storing) is a great thing for insuring that Metamagic Rod or other useful carried item is at hand when and only when you need it.

In that vein, while your caster is still low enough level not to have a magical Wrist slot item, the Sprint-loaded Wrist Sheath (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-and-armor-accessories#TOC-Wrist-Sheath-spring-loaded) is nice for having a wand or two available with a Swift Action, and they're only 5GP each.