PDA

View Full Version : A strange idea regarding feats

rel
2016-08-01, 07:46 AM
So I've had this strange idea and I'm trying to get a feel for how powerful it is and how weird it makes things.

Lets say you have a martial class. Something boring like the fighter.
Except a few times through the classes progression (say at levels 6, 12 and 18) you get to pick and use a feat ignoring some or all feat prerequisites.

Initially I went with ignoring minimum BAB, other feats and minimum stats but an increasingly entertaining alternative is to allow any pre-epic feat.

So, what breaks and what gets weird given these setups?

ExLibrisMortis
2016-08-01, 08:55 AM
It's definitely nice for mundanes, with Whirlwind Attack and Weapon Supremacy and whatnot. I'm not sure there are enough feats that grant real abilities, but you'll be able to take tactical feats all over the place, for one.

The Viscount
2016-08-01, 09:29 AM
I'm sure there are extreme examples, but the most common consequence of this seems to me that you will get lots more people taking pretty good feats that have a tax for entry, making these feats into very good ones.

For example, Willing Deformity is a feat that does very little. However, it is the prereq for many more powerful feats like Deformity (Teeth) which gives bite. Same goes for most Heritage feat lines.

Martial Stance without the prereq maneuver feat means that anyone can nab a 1st level maneuver at level 3.

There are a lot of feats in things like Savage Species that are meant for really big, really strong monsters, but with those you could do a fair amount in combat.