PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Storm Druid build

shendelzar
2016-08-01, 09:46 AM
I'm building a character for an upcoming campaign and I was very interested in the idea of storm druid...
I like the idea of wildshaping into a Large elemental and wreaking havoc on my enemies with lightning spells and elemental attacks...

However I have never played a druid before and not sure what some of the caveats shoudl be in my build.

Has anyone built a storm druid or played one or seen one played? Does any one have any advice on optimizing one?

legomaster00156
2016-08-01, 10:13 AM
There is an archetype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/archetypes/paizo---druid-archetypes/storm-druid) for this, and furthermore, as a druid, it's pretty much impossible to screw up the class. You should decide on whether you can to be a caster or a shapeshifted melee attacker, and build your stats appropriately.

shendelzar
2016-08-01, 11:13 AM
There is an archetype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/archetypes/paizo---druid-archetypes/storm-druid) for this, and furthermore, as a druid, it's pretty much impossible to screw up the class. You should decide on whether you can to be a caster or a shapeshifted melee attacker, and build your stats appropriately.

I definitely want to go the caster blaster route and use my elemental form more for defense, utility, and movement.

If I plan on using primarily elemental forms, do I need the feat that lets me cast while wildshaped(natural speech?)

Is there a feat or progression that can get me more domains(other than the lvl 9 ability form storm druid)?

Is there a feat to bolster my elemental body form further?

Other than spell focus lines - what can I do to help my casting?

Geddy2112
2016-08-01, 11:57 AM
Yeah, the storm druid archetype is incredibly good, and you get both domains. I don't think there is a way to get more than two domains but I could be wrong.

For a caster blaster, you can dump strength and charisma, con at 10/12, max dex and wis and as low int as you feel comfortable with.

You need natural spell as your 5th level feat no exceptions. Wild speech won't let you use somatic components, but it helps so you can communicate with the party while wild shaped. It allows for verbal only spells but it won't cover somatic components, while natural spell covers both.

For shifting, just become something that can fly, get away from everything, and rain lightning/storm based death. Eventually you want to be an elemental, and I don't think there is much to bolster the air elemental form but you are already a god at this point...

Metamagic feats are good for boosting casting, including rods of metamagic. Consider investing in magic items that boost your concentration checks, should you need to take them as concentration checks can be difficult to pass.

Secret Wizard
2016-08-01, 06:05 PM
I'd advise against dumping strength. You won't really have the oomph at early levels to blast all day, so having the strength to use some medium armour and shillehagh every now and then will be handy.

Additionally, it's not unlikely you'll run into golems, in which case going melee with your usual druid buffs should be a good idea. Nothing stops you into going fire elemental in this case.

Dexterity is not too important as you don't have many rays.

12 DEX and 14 STR/CON with good WIS should provide more versatility.

shendelzar
2016-08-09, 11:52 AM
I think we are starting in the mid levels 7-9 ish
Here's what I was thinking of for initial scores with all 4th level bonuses going to WIS

Dwarf Storm Druid
STR10
DEX12
Con14
Int8
WIS20 (22 at lvl 8)
CHA5

Feats:
1:imp init
3:hvy armor
5:natural spell
7:Rime Spell?
9:Elemental spell?
11:?
13?
15?
17?
19?

My strategy would be to wild shape into an air elemental - fly around or whirlwind around and cast lightning and storm based spells from above. I can change my none cold spells into cold dmg for use with RIME... That's about as far as I've gotten tus far.. SO many options for a druid, i'm trying to take them all in.

I'm thinking of building to spell perfection for call lightning. Is that worth the costs? Ive never built a full fledge caster before let alone a druid of any type.. Any help or sample builds would be appreciated.

Psyren
2016-08-09, 12:31 PM
I wouldn't waste a feat on Heavy Armor - for starters, there aren't many of those that won't outright break your vows, and second, you'll need a +3 enchantment on it just to make it relevant while you're wildshaped. At early levels, just use a wooden shield to boost your AC until you can stay shapeshifted all day.

I know you're going pure caster but I would drop your Wis a couple of points and free up some points to increase other scores, especially Dex. If your strategy becomes successful, your GM will likely start targeting you in the air, which will mean Fly checks. Dex will also give you more AC, initiative, and shore up your weak save (reflex.) Judging from your current spread you have 15 Point Buy: I'd personally go with the following at level 8:

Str 10
Dex 14
Con 12 (14)
Int 12
Wis 16 (20)
Cha 7 (5)

Geddy2112
2016-08-09, 05:11 PM
Second not wasting a feat on heavy armor-without the wild enchantment(which is expensive) your armor won't matter during wild shape, which is what you will be most of the time. In addition to a wooden shield, you can buy hide armor for dirt cheap, which combined with a wooden shield will provide pretty good protection for those times you are not an elemental and such. The only heavy armor you can even wear is stone plate and dragonhide, both are incredibly expensive. Save that gold for better rings of protection and stuff, which works while wildshaped and helps touch AC.

I would not waste spell perfection on call lightning. The damage is too low, and unless you quicken it it takes too long to cast at higher levels. Electric immunity or resistance 10 is pretty common, and if you are only dealing a maximum of 18 damage reflex half most things don't care. It also uses a standard action to fire a bolt,a major waste at that level.

Rime spell is a solid feat, as the entanglement does not allow a save. However, few druid cold spells do more than a few d6 damage, and the spell has to deal damage to cause the entangle. So it won't work against cold immune and even resistance 10 can stop it. Better if you take elemental spell so you can swap more powerful spells like flame strike to cold and then rime them. Ideally, you want rime spell on big AoE spells so they entangle and not just blast.