PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Looking for quick and dirty trade federation army droid stats for 5e Star Wars game..

Giegue
2016-08-01, 12:20 PM
As the title says. I found a wonderful d&d 5e Star Wars conversion but it did not have any stats for enemies/monsters. Since I am not that great at balancing 5e Homebrew I'd like some help. I need some quick and dirty stats for battle droids, destroyer droids/droidekas, and Super Battle Droids, as they will be the most common enemies faced in a game I'm planning. If so somebody could help with this I'd be grateful!

Draken
2016-08-01, 01:25 PM
As the title says. I found a wonderful d&d 5e Star Wars conversion but it did not have any stats for enemies/monsters. Since I am not that great at balancing 5e Homebrew I'd like some help. I need some quick and dirty stats for battle droids, destroyer droids/droidekas, and Super Battle Droids, as they will be the most common enemies faced in a game I'm planning. If so somebody could help with this I'd be grateful!

Honestly, I would just go with Modrons for that. Monodrones, duodrones and tridrones (skinned properly, of course) should do the trick.

Lalliman
2016-08-02, 01:01 PM
I don't think the modrons properly portray the relative power of the droids. Personally I would take the following Monster Manual creatures, replace their weapons with appropriate guns, and reduce their intelligence and charisma if needed. And of course treat them as immune to anything machines should be immune to.

Battle droid: Commoner

Super battle droid: Hobgoblin

Droideka: This one is quite complex if you want to do justice to the source material. I’d say take an ogre, swap its str and dex, make it medium size, and half its health. Give it two forms: travel mode (40 ft speed but can’t attack) and battle mode (10 ft speed but has resistance to everything due to shield). If this seems powerful for a droid, let me remind you that even jedi are often shown struggling when fighting droideka.

Commando droid: Bugbear

Edit: Could you point me towards this conversion?

Giegue
2016-08-02, 09:27 PM
I actually use two conversions mashed togther. You see, one does non-force users and tech well but is somewhat lazy when it comes to force users as it basically just makes them typical vancian casters that have nothing but spells out of the PHB and dosen't even bother renaming at least 90% of those spells to make them feel like force powers. The other conversion, meanwhile does force users VERY well (to the point of giving them a spell point vairant instead of vancian casting and making all their spells homebrew customs that model actual force powers from star wars rather than trying to shoehorn the PHB spells into being "force powers") but is pretty skimpy/lazy when it comes to non-force users and tech. (To the point it forgets to give scoundrels proficiency with blasters of any kind, forcing them to use medieval weaponry by RAW...I'm not kidding). So I plan on running my 5e star wars games using the tech-heavy conversion, but replacing the lazy force user classes it has with the good ones from the other one while also using the backgrounds from the same one with the good force users. (the tech-heavy conversion doesn't make any new backgrounds.) Sadly, neither conversion really has enemy/monster stats, hence this thread.

The Tech-heavy conversion can be found here (https://www.scribd.com/doc/278947931/Star-Wars-D-D-5th-Edition-Conversion-PF).

The Conversion with good force users and backgrounds can be found here (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5EdwATdXj8XVGJvcEItNV9Xc3M/view?usp=sharing).

Note that neither of them are made by me and I am NOT claiming them as my own work.

Draken
2016-08-02, 11:53 PM
I actually use two conversions mashed togther. You see, one does non-force users and tech well but is somewhat lazy when it comes to force users as it basically just makes them typical vancian casters that have nothing but spells out of the PHB and dosen't even bother renaming at least 90% of those spells to make them feel like force powers. The other conversion, meanwhile does force users VERY well (to the point of giving them a spell point vairant instead of vancian casting and making all their spells homebrew customs that model actual force powers from star wars rather than trying to shoehorn the PHB spells into being "force powers") but is pretty skimpy/lazy when it comes to non-force users and tech. (To the point it forgets to give scoundrels proficiency with blasters of any kind, forcing them to use medieval weaponry by RAW...I'm not kidding). So I plan on running my 5e star wars games using the tech-heavy conversion, but replacing the lazy force user classes it has with the good ones from the other one while also using the backgrounds from the same one with the good force users. (the tech-heavy conversion doesn't make any new backgrounds.) Sadly, neither conversion really has enemy/monster stats, hence this thread.

The Tech-heavy conversion can be found here (https://www.scribd.com/doc/278947931/Star-Wars-D-D-5th-Edition-Conversion-PF).

The Conversion with good force users and backgrounds can be found here (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5EdwATdXj8XVGJvcEItNV9Xc3M/view?usp=sharing).

Note that neither of them are made by me and I am NOT claiming them as my own work.

I see that both of those sources have a droid race. In which case I recommend using Bandits with the added stats of droids, armed with blaster rifles and wearing blast armor (identical stats, more or less). Super Battle Droids... I would say go for Bandit Captains with Scout or Power Armor (AC 16 either way), similarly armed with blaster weapons (significantly better ranged attack than the bandit captain) but only their fists (Combat Gloves) as melee weapons, making them worse at melee.

Weapon loadouts can, of course, vary. I am just talking about standard issue weaponry for Clone Wars separatist armies.

Droideka are a bit of a pickle. They are not actually that sturdy. They just attack really fast and their shields are really good against standard weaponry, the droid itself is not significantly sturdier than other droids. For droideka, I would go with a Pentadrone with its AC raised to 20, paralysis gas removed and Arm attacks replaced with a blaster weapon of choice. Landing a hit on them will be a pain, but once they do land, the thing will go down faster than the SBD. It will also take anyone down as fast as two and a half SBDs.