PDA

View Full Version : Shield Bond?

ZenBear
2016-08-01, 02:04 PM
The Eldritch Knight's Weapon Bond feature specifies a weapon, and a shield is listed under armor, so by RAW it doesn't work. That being said, would you allow it?

NecroDancer
2016-08-01, 02:06 PM
Yeah, but out of curiosity what Benifits does it give you?

Final Hyena
2016-08-01, 02:27 PM
Is it not an improvised weapon?
To be fair they are kind of different.
I don't see a big issue.

Dizlag
2016-08-01, 02:30 PM

Effectively, you create a magical bond with up to two weapons and cannot be disarmed of that weapon unless you're incapacitated. You can summon the weapon as a bonus action.

I love the concept and would allow it! Having a sword and board knight use a bonus action on turn one to summon his sword and use a bonus action on round two to summon his shield (or use action Surge on round one to summon both) would be awesome looking!

Look at the first sentence of the Shield Master feat ... You use shields not just for protection but also for offense. Now granted, that's for a Shield Master, but I would say your concept above is valid and would allow it still.

Dizlag

edit: Oooo, something I just saw in SA Compendium v1.12 on page 5 ... If you attack with a shield—most likely as an improvised weapon—do you keep the +2 bonus to AC? Attacking with a shield doesn’t deprive you of the bonus to AC. Very interesting, so it furthers my "I'd allow it!" response.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-08-01, 03:25 PM
Why not? A little Captain America never hurt anyone.

(Except the Nazis, but who cares about them?)

Easy_Lee
2016-08-01, 03:29 PM
Effectively, you create a magical bond with up to two weapons and cannot be disarmed of that weapon unless you're incapacitated. You can summon the weapon as a bonus action.

I love the concept and would allow it! Having a sword and board knight use a bonus action on turn one to summon his sword and use a bonus action on round two to summon his shield (or use action Surge on round one to summon both) would be awesome looking!

Look at the first sentence of the Shield Master feat ... You use shields not just for protection but also for offense. Now granted, that's for a Shield Master, but I would say your concept above is valid and would allow it still.

Dizlag

edit: Oooo, something I just saw in SA Compendium v1.12 on page 5 ... If you attack with a shield—most likely as an improvised weapon—do you keep the +2 bonus to AC? Attacking with a shield doesn’t deprive you of the bonus to AC. Very interesting, so it furthers my "I'd allow it!" response.

Nice. That means Captain America is possible. Eldritch Knight, Shield master, and Tavern Brawler. He's proficient with improvised weapons, can attack with his shield, can shove with a bonus action when he attacks with the shield, can throw the shield and summon it back in the same round, can't be disarmed of his shield, can attack with his shield as an improvised weapon and grapple the target with his free hand as a bonus action, has a free hand for spell casting and item use, and may even be able to add dueling damage to his shield to effectively make it a D8.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-08-01, 03:49 PM
Nice. That means Captain America is possible. Eldritch Knight, Shield master, and Tavern Brawler. He's proficient with improvised weapons, can attack with his shield, can shove with a bonus action when he attacks with the shield, can throw the shield and summon it back in the same round, can't be disarmed of his shield, can attack with his shield as an improvised weapon and grapple the target with his free hand as a bonus action, has a free hand for spell casting and item use, and may even be able to add dueling damage to his shield to effectively make it a D8.
Or take TWF and punch you in the face with his off hand. Don't forget to take Inspiring Leader, and maybe a few levels of Mastermind Rogue for bonus action Help ("inspiration.")

Giant2005
2016-08-01, 04:20 PM

It would mean you could Don the shield with a bonus action rather than an action. That would be quite an advantage in any situation where you weren't prepared for combat.

JellyPooga
2016-08-01, 04:45 PM

But when he throws his shield, how does he get those that oppose his shield to yield?

If only Command was on the EK spell list...

Easy_Lee
2016-08-01, 04:49 PM
But when he throws his shield, how does he get those that oppose his shield to yield?

If only Command was on the EK spell list...

Probably by making up to five shove attempts in the same round.