PDA

View Full Version : Creating/Crafting Consumables

Theodoxus
2016-08-01, 03:22 PM
My players, especially the casters, are clamoring for a way to create consumables; potions, scrolls, non-recharging wands, that sort of thing.

The DMG, as we all know, is fleetingly scarce when it comes to crafting of any kind, much less magic.

I'd like a simple, yet not overpowering crafting system. What i'm currently thinking of, is when you create a consumable item, the slots expended return after a week long long rest (like the rest option in the DMG), or the after the next long rest if the item is used.

This way, a wizard could scribe a number of scrolls, locking the slots necessary to use them away; he can either use the scroll(s) or his remaining slots to cast spells, but the slots wouldn't regenerate after a long rest (or with Arcane Recovery on a short rest).

To my mind, this does two things. A) It allows wizards to scribe scrolls at a higher rate than was allowed in 3.P - I figure it would take as long to scribe a scroll as to copy one into his spell book. B) With a week long 'recharge' time, its a noticeable stretch of time, but not to the point of gimping the caster. Especially if you know you've got some downtime, you could scribble up a lot of scrolls in the meantime - perhaps the majority of your slots, and then have a goodly chunk of scrolls to augment your restored slots.

The same could be used for potions, outside of healing and poison.

What I'm not sure of is the cost. I guess scrolls would use the same mechanics as copying into a spellbook. It's not overly prohibitive, especially by the time a caster would be really into inscribing. But potions? That I'm not sure of... the same cost?

On top of that, what about non-rechargeable wands? If the party ranger wanted to craft a wand of Alarm or Goodberry, what do you think the cost should be?

And then I'm thinking skills. For inscribing, Calligraphy? Would you include a Dex skill check? DC 10+spell level inscribed? Failure is what, just wasted ink, or would you include the slot as well? (and if so, would you let the slot recharge on a long rest, or the weekly rest?)
For potions, obviously Alchemy, and a similar check? I could see using Int or Wis for the check... Cha doesn't make much sense, you're not pleading the potion to work... but probably Int... Witches and Wizards (and obviously Alchemists) make the most logical sense for potion work...
For wands, I'd hazard a Dex Woodworking check...

Do these ideas sound fair?

Calen
2016-08-01, 03:49 PM
To my mind, this does two things. A) It allows wizards to scribe scrolls at a higher rate than was allowed in 3.P - I figure it would take as long to scribe a scroll as to copy one into his spell book. B) With a week long 'recharge' time, its a noticeable stretch of time, but not to the point of gimping the caster. Especially if you know you've got some downtime, you could scribble up a lot of scrolls in the meantime - perhaps the majority of your slots, and then have a goodly chunk of scrolls to augment your restored slots.

Makes sense.

What I'm not sure of is the cost. I guess scrolls would use the same mechanics as copying into a spellbook. It's not overly prohibitive, especially by the time a caster would be really into inscribing. But potions? That I'm not sure of... the same cost?

Healing Potions have a cost of 50gp, use that as your base.

On top of that, what about non-rechargeable wands? If the party ranger wanted to craft a wand of Alarm or Goodberry, what do you think the cost should be?

Not sure...

And then I'm thinking skills. For inscribing, Calligraphy? Would you include a Dex skill check? DC 10+spell level inscribed? Failure is what, just wasted ink, or would you include the slot as well? (and if so, would you let the slot recharge on a long rest, or the weekly rest?)
For potions, obviously Alchemy, and a similar check? I could see using Int or Wis for the check... Cha doesn't make much sense, you're not pleading the potion to work... but probably Int... Witches and Wizards (and obviously Alchemists) make the most logical sense for potion work...

Instead of setting up the players for a potentially high failure rate or having a DC that is so trivial as to be a waste of roll-time...

Have a base crafting costs and time. Have the associated skills either reduce the time to craft or the cost to craft. (I would have a universal constant in this regard, doing both might be overpowered) For each crafting the player simply takes 10 on the listed toolset and reduces the cost/time by that percent. For some of these it would makes sense that multiple tools would work, for example cartographers tools are probably a calligraphy set with some extra items, so I would allow either type of tool to be used.

Scrolls - Calligraphers Kit - Dex
Potions - Herbalism Kit - Int
Poisons - Poisoners Kit - Int
Wands - Woodcarvers tools - Dex

Grod_The_Giant
2016-08-01, 04:05 PM
Honestly, I think as long as it takes half the cost, *some* significant amount of downtime, and *some* opportunity cost, I think you're fine. Perhaps a feat, "Craft Magic Items?" I can see maybe having crafting times based on rarity:

Common: One week
Uncommon: One month
Rare: One year
Very Rare: Five years
Legendary: Ten years

Set the time down once for consumable items like scrolls, and don't forget the level limits in the DMG.

Vogonjeltz
2016-08-02, 08:26 AM
My players, especially the casters, are clamoring for a way to create consumables; potions, scrolls, non-recharging wands, that sort of thing.

The DMG, as we all know, is fleetingly scarce when it comes to crafting of any kind, much less magic.

I'd like a simple, yet not overpowering crafting system. What i'm currently thinking of, is when you create a consumable item, the slots expended return after a week long long rest (like the rest option in the DMG), or the after the next long rest if the item is used.

This way, a wizard could scribe a number of scrolls, locking the slots necessary to use them away; he can either use the scroll(s) or his remaining slots to cast spells, but the slots wouldn't regenerate after a long rest (or with Arcane Recovery on a short rest).

I thought the DMG already had specific rules for creating magic items:

Get the recipe (one step rarer than the thing being crafted), and follow the crafting rules in the PHB.

Crafting a potion would require the use of an alchemy set, and I might require the ability to cast the spell in question intended for the potion. Similar notion for scrolls.

Crafting a specific magic item (i.e. a specific staff/wand) would, in that system require the recipe. A focus isn't the same thing, I'd let anyone with the appropriate tools and training craft that using the crafting rules from the PHB.