PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Tome Dwarf Backstory

Sancho
2016-08-01, 04:03 PM
Hey guys and gals! Long time reader, first time post-er!

I recently started a new campaign and my DM was gracious enough to let me explore the *Tome Dwarf subrace. Currently going for the 'Scholar gone hippie.' archetype, you know that ol' cleche. His class is Paladin with the Oath of the Ancients; Imagine The Dude (Big Lebowski) with a hammer.

Now what would drive a Tome Dwarf to drop the persuit of knowledge and seek the light? Currently working with the idea that he, in his studies, came across either texts revealing the true evil of all that inhabit the plant or ancient proverbs foretelling the inevitable destruction of all that is good. The intelligence from either of these would have to be so cleansing that it envoked a spiritual change in the heart of a Dwarf.

I really like the direction of this background but am hitting a writers block and don't really like leaving back stories in a weak state.

What other scenarious could cause a intelligence hoarding dwarf to cast away his livelong persuit of knowledge and devote his live to changing the world for the better?

Thank you for any critiques or suggestions!

-Corc Soulhammer

*Tome Dwarf (BoHR:PR1)

Where typical dwarves mine the depths of the earth for gold and gems, you mine forgotten lore for the wealth of the mind. Thanks to years of living in the library citadels of your homeland, your memory is deep and you are wise beyond your years, even for a dwarf.

Ability Score Increase: Your Intelligence score increases by 1.

Historian: You are proficient in the History skill.

Extra Language: You can speak, read, and write one extra language of your choice.