PDA

View Full Version : The next regional theme

Lord_Butters_I
2007-07-04, 02:06 PM
So far we have a generic D&D Gygex-esq dungeon (dungeon of duroken) and a mock-asian city (azure city). What do you think the setting will be for the next story arc?

Morty
2007-07-04, 02:10 PM
Since heroes are going to Girard's gate on western continent, I guess there'll be some mesopotamian themes, considering that gods of the West are mesopotamian.
But frankly, everything non-oriental will do.

Spiryt
2007-07-04, 02:12 PM
Girard hid his Desert Gate... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0277.html)

So it will be some desert climates. I kinda like them, especially if they are well made.

And it's also on the "Western Continent", so probably sea travel. OotS on board can be realy hilarious. :smallwink:

Ithekro
2007-07-04, 02:15 PM
Well, technically speaking, mesopotamian is still asian by virtue of being in Asia. Perhaps not being Oriental would be a better setting by virtue of not being continent specific.

:smallbiggrin:

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-07-04, 02:23 PM
Hrmmmm, well, lets see, they'll probably run across one of the following...

Basilisks
Blue Dragons
Brass Dragons
Dragonne
Genies
Lamia
Mummy
Sphinx

I'm wondering if there is going to be some Xykon joke based on mummies. Either he's going to have to smash one or he wraps himself up because his bones are being bleached.

Genies... the Order of the Stick is going to have to run into one of those. Probably Belkar/Elan will make a really dumb wish.

Maybe something also poking fun at Sandstorm.

Oh, and the demon cockroaches 'have' to run across a giant scorpion.

Lyinginbedmon
2007-07-04, 02:42 PM
Hmm....desert, desert, desert...

Perhaps a Mexican theme? Or maybe a Native American theme, where they are met/followed/disrupted by illusionary dingos eating jalapenos

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-07-04, 03:00 PM
Pirates, then deserts. There is an ocean between Azure City and the Western Continent. You don't think this will be a a quiet, relaxing boat ride, do you?

kpenguin
2007-07-04, 03:18 PM
Well, technically speaking, mesopotamian is still asian by virtue of being in Asia. Perhaps not being Oriental would be a better setting by virtue of not being continent specific.

:smallbiggrin:

Not necessarily, the Orient can refer to the Middle East as well. I think a more proper term would be East Asian.

Oh yes, I think there will be kobolds. Kobolds lie to the west.

lavidor10
2007-07-04, 03:25 PM
Also, the kobold Oracle worshipped a Western Pantheon Goddess. so maybe kobolds will be Xykon's next minions? After Rc ditches him... To start a new, neutral life in AC with the hobbos I'll stop now. Kobolds will definitely appear and maybe we will see some Western God action.

David Argall
2007-07-04, 05:33 PM
Desert is often associated with Arab, and it sorta "fits" to have Middle East gods there. It seems possible

Lord_Butters_I
2007-07-04, 06:54 PM
I agree with the inevidable pirates theme, probibly a side "A.5" plot on an island similar to the bandit camp/starmetal, and an "OotS in the desert" theme has quite a bit of potential...

Garland
2007-07-04, 07:06 PM
Shojo's personal wizard is still dead, right? Darn, that means no more free teleports... which in turn serves for more travel humor.

Icewalker
2007-07-04, 07:45 PM
Definitely gonna have good times on the boat. It'd be better if they could charter something normal, instead of riding Hinjo's junk, but oh well.

Joracy
2007-07-04, 07:47 PM
Definitely gonna have good times on the boat. It'd be better if they could charter something normal, instead of riding Hinjo's junk, but oh well.

Oh my money is they will end up on a different boat...A pirate boat :P

Scarab83
2007-07-04, 07:53 PM

Are you saying that it's weird to ride Hinjo's junk?

Imrahil
2007-07-04, 07:53 PM
They could always pimp out Hinjo's junk...

Arssanguinus
2007-07-04, 08:05 PM
HInjo's Junk is for rent to the highest bidder, eh?

A 'Pirates' theme would also fit a common DND campaign theme. . .

Setra
2007-07-04, 08:14 PM
I'm hoping for some pirates.

I am also hoping we'll see a One Piece joke of some sort

kpenguin
2007-07-04, 08:23 PM
I'd rather see vikings in a sea-themed arc (pirates get way to much attention :smallannoyed:), but that would fit more with the northern lands.

Setra
2007-07-04, 08:28 PM
Vikings are pirates.

They're like the fathers of piracy.

kpenguin
2007-07-04, 09:04 PM
Perhaps I should be more clear: "pirates of the Caribbean" style pirates get far too much attention. Vikings are not only cooler (Blackbeard and co. terrorized merchants, vikings terrorized entire nations), but also more D&D appropriate.

Tolkien_Freak
2007-07-04, 09:05 PM
Vikings are pirates.

They're like the fathers of piracy.

Yep. Vikings were the pirates before there WERE pirates.
'Woo! Let's go loot an abbey!'

A viking plot would be funny, especially if they were dwarves.
Can you imagine a dwarf trying to act like a pirate?

kpenguin
2007-07-04, 09:12 PM
Meh. Dwarves are too stereotypically Norse. It would cool if it were some race that isn't normally associated vikings and their culture.

Arssanguinus
2007-07-04, 09:14 PM
VIKING HALFLINGS!

:smallcool:

Tolkien_Freak
2007-07-04, 09:14 PM
Meh. Dwarves are too stereotypically Norse. It would cool if it were some race that isn't normally associated vikings and their culture.

Elves.
Elf vikings.
End of.

kpenguin
2007-07-04, 09:18 PM
Since I'd say vikings are around CE, maybe some bugbear vikings. We haven't seen bugbears yet and they're a logical progression from golbins and hobgoblins.

Setra
2007-07-04, 09:40 PM
Hmm...

Half Dragon Vikings.

Why? Because dragons are awesome.

Scarab83
2007-07-04, 09:42 PM
Ogre vikings would be the scariest.

That's not a bad idea... I should write that down.

Setra
2007-07-04, 09:45 PM
Half Dragon, Half Ogre, .0001% kitten.

kpenguin
2007-07-04, 09:45 PM
With Mister Scruffy as the clan leader! :smallyuk:

Orzel
2007-07-04, 09:49 PM
First Gnoll Pirates
Then the KRAKEN
Then dessert fun with evil Dessert Kobolds, Nomad Halflings, and Gnomes riding mechanical insects, spiders, and beetles.

Tolkien_Freak
2007-07-04, 09:52 PM
First Gnoll Pirates
Then the KRAKEN
Then dessert fun with evil Dessert Kobolds, Nomad Halflings, and Gnomes riding mechanical insects, spiders, and beetles.

Mmmmm.... kobolds for dessert! ( :belkar: likes!)

kpenguin
2007-07-04, 09:54 PM
Mmmmm.... kobolds for dessert! ( :belkar: likes!)

Indeed. The next kobold Belkar kills will be used for an ice cream bowl.

Snipers_Promise
2007-07-04, 10:04 PM
I want to see something russian.

Scarab83
2007-07-04, 10:05 PM
I want to see something russian.

Russian Elves.

In Soviet Russia, the trees worship you!

Snipers_Promise
2007-07-04, 10:06 PM
With Mister Scruffy as the clan leader! :smallyuk:

I like were this is going. Ninja Robot Pirates....riding on dinosours with laser eye beams!

Tolkien_Freak
2007-07-04, 10:10 PM
Russian Elves.

In Soviet Russia, the trees worship you!

Russian Dwarves - try a Russo-Scottish accent for ya!

'Ach, de trees be attackink!'

Maybe the gnolls will turn out Russian.
Maybe they'll turn out African (they are hyena-like).
'We gonna kill you!'

Corwin Weber
2007-07-05, 12:27 AM
The Vikings weren't really pirates. Sure, they'd attack another ship if they came across one, but there was a lot more money in attacking towns, and the money is what they were after. They were the younger sons of the nobility and the crews they hired. (Norse inheritance laws... only the eldest son would inherit anything. If you had any more sons, you bought them a boat and pointed them toward England.) Actual piracy was strictly secondary.

That having been said, the pirates will be of the normal, stereotypical carribean/south pacific type.... and Haley will take over.... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0121.html)

Kaerbek
2007-07-05, 04:19 AM
Why do I get the feeling that we're going to see more of Scourdel and his big, floating airship, full of wannabie-actors as sailors, melodramatic scenes and that kind of stuff while traveling throug the ocean?, sounds more promising than Hinjo's junk =P

Morty
2007-07-05, 05:25 AM
Yeah, we should pray there won't any "Yarrr"-style pirates on Order's way. They're so overused that even jokes about them being overused aren't funny anymore.

Emperor Ing
2007-07-05, 05:33 AM
NO!!! What if they find themselves saying YARRR!!! wrong, good potential right there!

kpenguin
2007-07-05, 05:37 AM
I'm okay with the "yarrr"-style of pirates. It's the "CG pirate with a heart of gold" type of pirate that annoys me. Pirates are supposed to be evil through and through.

Elfanatic
2007-07-05, 05:49 AM
I'm thinking that we will see more of the elven race. Sofar very little is said about them, or their homeland (except here oots220 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0220.html)). Now would be a good time for Vaarsuvius to be the leader (it might take some time before Roy is resurrected), and of course for some light, gender-confused jokes.

lavidor10
2007-07-05, 05:59 AM
Na, the Elven jungles are in the Eastern Lands. I'll look for the comic where it said that now...

Note: this could be extrapolated from the facts that the Eastern Pantheon is gone and the Elves raised their own Gods, which would make sense in a Godless land.

2nd Note: Also, if Kraagor's Gate is north, Soon's Gate is south, Dorokan's Gate is center and Girard's Gate is west, Lirian's Gate is east.

The_Hunting_Enemy
2007-07-05, 06:48 AM
We will be having no Kraykens, as that creates room for too many dodgy jokes. And I want Xykon to get something other then a goblinoid as his minions next time, JUST to break the cycle.

I think we're gonna be singing 'Arabian Nights' pretty soon.

Tower
2007-07-05, 07:07 AM
Native Americans/Aboriginals would be cool, but I've got the feeling it's going to be Arabic or gnomes
I think a seabattle is more likely to involve the nobles since there is a lot of ships from Azure City but Pirates/Vikings would work

On a side note
Pirates seems more chaotic neutral to me rather than evil.
"Give me your gold or I will kill you"

kpenguin
2007-07-05, 07:08 AM
Actually, more like:

"I'm taking your gold, killing most of your crew, raping and then killing your women, and taking the most valuable as prisoners for ransom."

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-05, 08:25 AM
Native Americans/Aboriginals would be cool, but I've got the feeling it's going to be Arabic or gnomes
I think a seabattle is more likely to involve the nobles since there is a lot of ships from Azure City but Pirates/Vikings would work

On a side note
Pirates seems more chaotic neutral to me rather than evil.
"Give me your gold or I will kill you"

ARABIC GNOMES!

Crazy_Imp
2007-07-05, 08:33 AM
Space gnomes, from the fifth moon

Alex Kidd
2007-07-05, 10:05 AM
Desert eh? sounds good. Oh and viking halflings would explain Belkar.

Actually, more like:

"I'm taking your gold, killing most of your crew, raping and then killing your women, and taking the most valuable as prisoners for ransom."

Don't forget the slaves, they sold the prettier women and younger girls to brothels. So yeah, far end of CE. About as bad as you get really, murder, rape, slavery, theft, at the least and for a lot of them treason and other crimes.

the mysterian
2007-07-05, 10:16 AM
i demand jamacin(sp) pirate halflings!

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-07-05, 11:48 AM
So, we're seeing votes/opinions for Pirates and Deserts.

Any votes for the Underdark?
How about a jungle? Lost temples, lost cities? We've had temperate/sub-tropical forests already.
What other "adventure zones" are fairly common in your campaigns?

So far, we've seen maze-like dungeon crawls, small towns, smaller villages, a large town, a very large town, siege warfare, a cave, and generic forests and countryside. What's left?

Oh, and although I AM a fan of the setting, NO SPELLJAMMER! It would just ruin the whole thing for me. :smallwink:

Snipers_Promise
2007-07-05, 06:01 PM
I want to see more mind-YURGUFULU!! GEHUAHHGA!!!

Simons Mith
2007-07-05, 07:04 PM
Maybe the Kingdom of Loathing is over that way. [Link deliberately withheld, to save everyone's time and sanity.] Edit: [Not that it'll work.]

:belkar: Man, these guys are even worse drawn than we are.

psychoticbarber
2007-07-05, 07:25 PM
Maybe the Kingdom of Loathing is over that way.
:belkar: Man, these guys are even worse drawn than we are.

*dies of laughter* That game is awesome!

Jaguira
2007-07-05, 07:54 PM
I want an Egyptian theme!! Pyramids, a journy to the Land of the Dead to meet with the big O(siris), mumies, Ancient Spooky Artifacts of Great Power Obtained Via Needlessly Lengthy Side-Quests... That's what I'm talking about! :smallbiggrin: A decidedly more Aribic/Persian theme would be pretty sweet, too, however. Prince of Persia FTW! (Only the first one, though :smallannoyed: )

Of course, I wouldn't mind a King Arthur refference or two thrown in there when they travel northward or something similar... But I'll shut my mouth about that for now, until it's more relavent.

BRC
2007-07-05, 07:59 PM
lavidor10, great picture in your sig
but back on topic, we know girards gate is in the desert, so it will proably be arabic/egyptian

Deuce
2007-07-05, 10:04 PM
I'd like one comic of the Order considering routing through the Underdark, discussing the dangers, and deciding that it's too overdone.

Then they find a Spelljammer, crashed but afloat, over-run by giant space hamsters. Belkar will wind up in a cheek-pouch, of course. :smalltongue:

The Extinguisher
2007-07-05, 10:16 PM
I like were this is going. Ninja Robot Pirates....riding on dinosours with laser eye beams!

Mexican Zombie Ninja Pirates with exploding chainsaw nunchucks that explode into more chainsaw nunchucks.

Anyway, I'm gonna say Pirates and Deserts.
Seems most likely.