PDA

View Full Version : Area effect trickery

Eisfalken
2016-08-01, 10:26 PM
Was flipping through Shining South for 3.5 when I saw those wonderful little Darsson spells. For those that don't know, there's three of them: one creates a series of 10-ft. cube "ovens" (extreme heat), one does the same for extreme cold "refrigerators", and another creates a long-line breeze. (It mentions the 3.0 rules for extreme temps, which says 1 minute until you take damage, but I presume that that got overwritten by the 3.5 rules that make it 10 minutes. Which makes them great for cooking, freezer storage, etc.)

These would be amazing for all kinds of uses, but the problem with the heat/cold ones is that it's "up to a 10 ft. cube/level (S)", and . On this point, I have two questions:

1. Does "up to" mean I can restrict it to a single 10-ft. cube? The minimal CL is 3rd, and trying to shoe-horn three of these cubes into an area is a pain in the butt. If I can restrict it to a single 10-ft. section, that at least makes it mostly practical.

2. Is there any known method to reduce the area effect even more, perhaps to a 5-ft. cube(s)? Sculpt Spell can't get smaller than the 10-ft. size basis, and I can't think of anything else to do the trick.

PraxisVetli
2016-08-01, 10:43 PM
I don't think it's written anyway, but any sensible DM ought to let a single cube fly.
Otherwise wall spells would be hard to work half the time.
As for reducing it, I don't know.
Put a creature there and use selective spell?

jindra34
2016-08-01, 10:48 PM
Archmage's sculpting ability allows you to put shaped spells down to 5ft cubes. And yes, in general, up to means as little as 1 cube.

Eisfalken
2016-08-01, 11:22 PM
Archmage's sculpting ability allows you to put shaped spells down to 5ft cubes. And yes, in general, up to means as little as 1 cube.

There we go, I knew I was missing something. Never get to play archmage much ever, so I forgot about mastery of shaping.

Thanks!