PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Kobold player race

AnimusBane
2016-08-01, 10:35 PM
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/By8Mrd_u

As I tried to come up with a way to let me allow one of my players play a kobold I came up with this.

Initially I just re-skinned a halfling but that did not feel quite right in play. So I went back to the drawing board and tried to start from the ground up. I used the guide /u/JamesMusicus has come up with to work as a frame work to build off of. When I was finished the first draft I realized that from any way I looked at this it was superior to your common kobold so it'd raise the question of why kobolds are such an inferior race. So I went back to it and gave them a reason to be better than common kobolds. These 'Drakold' are kobolds who are said to be blessed by dragons from birth. They embody one aspect of the dragon be it the body, the spirit or the mind.

Currently I am looking for feedback on it as a whole. I'd also like to ask how to improve the last sub race that is meant to embody the aspect of a dragons mind or intellect because I feel it is the poorest part of the entire design.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-08-02, 04:33 AM
Overall, I'd say this is balanced and flavourful. No real complaints there.

I agree that the third subrace is weaker than the others, and I'd say the obvious addition to a 'cunning' kobold would be something trap-related.

Random thoughts:
Can make an Intelligence check to disable any trap without needing any tools.
Traps set by kobold add proficiency to the save DC.
Advantage on checks made to spot traps.
Can construct traps for free out of whatever's lying around.

AnimusBane
2016-08-02, 12:52 PM
Overall, I'd say this is balanced and flavourful. No real complaints there.

I agree that the third subrace is weaker than the others, and I'd say the obvious addition to a 'cunning' kobold would be something trap-related.

Random thoughts:
Can make an Intelligence check to disable any trap without needing any tools.
Traps set by kobold add proficiency to the save DC.
Advantage on checks made to spot traps.
Can construct traps for free out of whatever's lying around.

Hmmm I like that, I may have to make the third one more a 'tucker's' kobold. Thanks for the suggestion.