PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Costs to get a Trained Polar Bear?

firruna
2016-08-01, 11:33 PM
Hello Playground,

I'm writing a up a character for a new game, and am looking to get a cool mount. At first I wanted an Ape, unfortunately, there's no Apes within this game world. So, now I'm going to get a Polar Bear. I've been looking for the rules to pay someone to train it as a mount. I can't seam to find them.

Can someone please show me how much it would cost to have it trained in each of the following:
Trick: Track
Train for purpose: Combat Riding
Train for purpose: Fighting
Train for purpose: Guarding
Train for purpose: Hunting

Thanks in advance.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-08-02, 03:35 AM
Polar bears are CR 4, so they cost 1600 gp by the Lords of Madness rules, or up to 3200 gp if they are considered "unusual or marketable", which is probably the case for trained polar bears. An "exceptionally strong" polar bear might cost twice that, so maybe your DM will let you get an elite array bear for 3200 to 4800 gp extra. A young polar bear may have a lower CR, reducing the price, but you'll have to train it yourself.

Once you get a polar bear, you need to train it. There's the DC 23 Handle Animal to rear a wild polar bear, and then the DC 20 check for some of the tricks you want. At int 2, a polar bear gets six tricks, so you can't get all the things you want - Combat Riding, for example, takes six tricks already, but includes all the tricks for Guarding, and overlaps with Fighting and Hunting, as well. A druid can teach their animal additional tricks, or you can turn your polar bear into an intelligent creature (3 int), which makes the whole question moot, as you'll be able to simply talk to them.

ShurikVch
2016-08-02, 04:47 AM
Polar Bear with Warbeast template (MMII) will cost 775 gp

Training cost:
Animal trainer (Arms and Equipment Guide) take 8 sp/day; teaching a trick take one week; thus - 28 gp and 5 weeks
If Polar Bear count as "exotic animal", then you will need to hire Animal trainer, exotic - wage 1 gp/day, 35 gp for all
Costs may go up, if trainer fail his Handle Animal check