PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Smiting Spell feat issue

fikoantunes
2016-08-02, 01:03 AM
Hi there!

One of my players (a cleric) has this Smiting Spell feat (from PHB2). We can't agree on how this feat works. Here's the original text of the feat:

You can alter a spell with a range of touch to transfer its energy from your hand to a weapon that you hold. The next time you strike an opponent with that weapon, the spell discharges. The target takes the normal damage and effects of a successful attack in addition to the spell's effect. Once you place a spell into a weapon, you must discharge it within 1 minute, or its energy dissipates harmlessly. You can place a smiting spell on a piece of ammunition or a projectile, such as a sling bullet, an arrow, or a crossbow bolt. In such a case, the spell dissipates if the attack misses. The spell cannot be placed on a bow, crossbow, sling, or similar weapon that uses ammunition. A smiting spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell's actual level.

The wording for its description seems so vague... When this "transferring of energy" happens?
1) Does it uses the spell's original casting time? Let's say you're transferring a ham spell (1 std action casting time). First you spend a Std action, then, when you can attack (probably in your next turn only unless you have a belt of battle or similar resources), you discharge the spell when hitting an opponent?

or

2) the spell is transfered in the moment you strike (like a duskblade)? That's more optimal, sure, but it opens the following implications:
a) so the feat can make you ignore the spell's original casting time, as long it is a touch spell?
b) the spell's casting time is now an attack action? So you can discharge more spells if you have multiples attacks?

The first option makes this feat very bad... But the second one leaves lots of holes for interpretations.

Thanks in advance for any tip!

Zanos
2016-08-02, 01:17 AM
It's 1. You still have to cast the spell with the original spells casting time. So yes, the feat is not particularly useful unless you have a bevy of actions with which to do so or time to buff before a fight.

fikoantunes
2016-08-02, 12:56 PM
Thank you for the input. I've seen lots of people posting about great combos with that feat. So now I can see they were confused like me regarding the real game mechanics of Smiting Spell.

Just for curiosity (and for me, as DM, to have some "official support" when dealing with the players): is there any reference regarding that correct use of the feat, as you pointed out? (perhaps in the 3.5 FAQs?)

Thanks again!

Nostrodamus
2017-07-30, 06:18 PM
If you are playing a high-level game this feat, is actually really good. Spells like shivering touch are excellent to use with this feat, and if you are able to cast Time Stop then you have enough actions to make this feat effective. Especially if you can also get one spell off before initiative. I have a Gish pc with this spell, and I am looking forward to using this feat. At low levels this is not the most effective feat, but at higher levels, its awesome!

Aracor
2017-07-30, 10:00 PM
I'm going to respectfully disagree and say it's option #3.

The spell is charged into your weapon at the moment you cast it. Other than that, this is still treated like a normal touch spell (except as specified, in that the energy will dissipate after one minute).

There is NOTHING that says the action economy of this feat differs from that of casting a normal touch spell - and a normal touch spell allows you to cast, move, and still touch all in the same round. Since that is the case, and there's no difference here except you put the energy into a weapon instead of your hand, I would say that you are still allowed to do it. However, it doesn't make spell casting times take an attack action or anything else allowing you to burn through multiple slots in a round.

Per the SRD:
Many spells have a range of touch. To use these spells, you cast the spell and then touch the subject, either in the same round or any time later. In the same round that you cast the spell, you may also touch (or attempt to touch) the target. You may take your move before casting the spell, after touching the target, or between casting the spell and touching the target. You can automatically touch one friend or use the spell on yourself, but to touch an opponent, you must succeed on an attack roll.
Touch Attacks

Touching an opponent with a touch spell is considered to be an armed attack and therefore does not provoke attacks of opportunity. However, the act of casting a spell does provoke an attack of opportunity. Touch attacks come in two types: melee touch attacks and ranged touch attacks. You can score critical hits with either type of attack. Your opponent’s AC against a touch attack does not include any armor bonus, shield bonus, or natural armor bonus. His size modifier, Dexterity modifier, and deflection bonus (if any) all apply normally.
Holding the Charge

If you don’t discharge the spell in the round when you cast the spell, you can hold the discharge of the spell (hold the charge) indefinitely. You can continue to make touch attacks round after round. You can touch one friend as a standard action or up to six friends as a full-round action. If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally, the spell discharges. If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates. Alternatively, you may make a normal unarmed attack (or an attack with a natural weapon) while holding a charge. In this case, you aren’t considered armed and you provoke attacks of opportunity as normal for the attack. (If your unarmed attack or natural weapon attack doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity, neither does this attack.) If the attack hits, you deal normal damage for your unarmed attack or natural weapon and the spell discharges. If the attack misses, you are still holding the charge.