PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Changing magical properties

Barstro
2016-08-02, 09:10 AM
In a recent campaign, our low-level party found an evil magic item worth about 6Kgp (no small sum for us). Our Lawful Good (read: Chaotic Absolutely-neutral-but-will claim-to-be-good-when-it-hurts-the-party) Paladin proceeded to destroy the item over the protests of the more pragmatic members.

Is there a way to change evil magic items to non-evil so this waste of resources does not happen again?

Gildedragon
2016-08-02, 09:22 AM
I'm not sure about PF but if there isn't you can borrow 3.5s ways
Way 1: find an artificer and have them cannibalize the item for the making of another item
Way 2: redeem the item (dispell magic on it for 1 day/1000gp and Meditate on it... There's an xp cost but PF does away with those so yeap that's all it takes

Barstro
2016-08-02, 09:57 AM
Nice ideas.

1) Since taking the item and selling it to some Clerics to dispose of was not an option, I don't think this will work.
2) That costs spells (which we do not have yet) and time (soon to be at a premium).

Sadly, I don't think those will work for our current party.

Gildedragon
2016-08-02, 10:20 AM
Nice ideas.

1) Since taking the item and selling it to some Clerics to dispose of was not an option, I don't think this will work.

2) That costs spells (which we do not have yet) and time (soon to be at a premium).

Sadly, I don't think those will work for our current party.

1 isn't selling, not quite. It is recycling; reforging into another magical item (also a bit odd since no xp costs in PF just gp cost)

As your DM then; about maybe a ritual to imitate 2 (keep it dunked in holy water for days, for example)

Tuvarkz
2016-08-02, 10:39 AM
Magic Aura (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/magic-aura):
"You alter an item's aura so that it registers to detect spells (and spells with similar capabilities) as though it were non-magical"
Detect Evil (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/detect-evil)'s capability to recognize an aligned magic item or spell requires it to be CL 6th or higher. If Magic Aura makes the item appear as nonmagical to detect spells, it won't be recognized as evil. After that, just pump up your bluff modifier and say that you have a spell that lets you purify evil items in a moment. The Paladin's SM modifier ought to be pretty low.

Segev
2016-08-02, 11:19 AM
So, um, the elephant I see in this room is the characterization of this "paladin." If he's a jerk who only uses "good" alignment to justify screwing over the party, why do you put up with him in the game? Talk to him OOC about this. Maybe it isn't intentional, in which case you can try to coach him to behave more party-friendly (and more good when it DOESN'T hurt the party, too). Maybe it is intentional, in which case you need to call him out on it, because he's obviously diminishing your enjoyment of the game.

Psyren
2016-08-02, 02:06 PM
I don't actually think the paladin was really in the wrong here. Lacking a means to purify the item, it sounds like you guys wanted to sell it instead; a paladin could not in good conscience advocate selling an evil item that would harm or possibly even corrupt an unknowing good or neutral purchaser at best, or at worst, end up in the possession of an evil user to propagate even more evil with its powers. Neither of those is an acceptable outcome.

As far as redeeming evil items though, Pathfinder doesn't have a way (at least, not one that I'm familiar with) but you can borrow BoED's rules on the subject instead. Basically, you suppress the item first via dispel, and then you "reverse-craft it" - a process that takes 8 hours of meditation per day per 1000gp of the item's price, and requires casting specific spells (usually, the opposite of any evil or evil-ish spells involved with creating the evil item in the first place, e.g. Bless instead of Bane.)

Barstro
2016-08-02, 03:19 PM
So, um, the elephant I see in this room is the characterization of this "paladin." If he's a jerk who only uses "good" alignment to justify screwing over the party, why do you put up with him in the game? Talk to him OOC about this. Maybe it isn't intentional, in which case you can try to coach him to behave more party-friendly (and more good when it DOESN'T hurt the party, too). Maybe it is intentional, in which case you need to call him out on it, because he's obviously diminishing your enjoyment of the game.

I get your point, but it isn't really the issue. This player, in my opinion, is only capable of being chaotic and often forgets how to be an alignment. As Psyren pointed out, I think the actual action by the Paladin in this instance is correct (or can at least be argued as correct), it just bothers me that this is one of the rare moments of correct behavior. Sadly, my character is chaotic and wants to help the team as much as possible. He would never hold back on helping the Paladin simply due to this action, and would likewise never given an "or else" statement, since adhering to that would be lawful. I tried, in character, to prevent this from happening, but had no ability to stop it.

1 isn't selling, not quite. It is recycling
When the party has no way to doing the act, then selling it is the only way to have someone else do the recycling. I get your point, but have no way to convince the Paladin.

As far as redeeming evil items though, Pathfinder doesn't have a way
As long as I'm not missing something, I'm satisfied.

Thanks, everyone.

Psyren
2016-08-02, 03:24 PM
If your group is interested in this sort of thing for future, the BoED rules can be found on pg. 119. To convert them to PF, all you'd have to do is remove the XP costs.