PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 5E Realism

RATHSQUATCH
2016-08-02, 10:39 AM
Hello community,

I tried a basic search, but was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as to if anyone was developing a "Realistic and/or gritty" version of 5E? It seems to me the simplistic rules combined with freedom the DM has to make decisions that a pretty awesome setting could be designed with a "deadlier" system in mind. If no one has started development on this, I'll go ahead and start looking into it. Thanks for your time.

Belac93
2016-08-02, 12:14 PM
Hello community,

I tried a basic search, but was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as to if anyone was developing a "Realistic and/or gritty" version of 5E? It seems to me the simplistic rules combined with freedom the DM has to make decisions that a pretty awesome setting could be designed with a "deadlier" system in mind. If no one has started development on this, I'll go ahead and start looking into it. Thanks for your time.

The DMG has a couple of options, including massive damage, lasting injuries, longer rests, and healer's kit dependency. You could check that out.

Zman
2016-08-02, 01:03 PM
All depends on what you are looking for. A couple houserules that I use are gain a level of exhaustion when you return from 0HP, even if through magical healing. This makes it so you can't just keep getting stood up, your character just gets exhausted doing so. I use no full HP after long rest, make them use magical healing, kits, healer feat, or recover slower using their Hit Dice. Con check for resting heavier armors etc.

It all depends on how real or gritty you want the game to feel.

You can check out the couple of tweaks that I'm using for this in my Tweaks, located in my signature.

RATHSQUATCH
2016-08-02, 01:44 PM
All depends on what you are looking for. A couple houserules that I use are gain a level of exhaustion when you return from 0HP, even if through magical healing. This makes it so you can't just keep getting stood up, your character just gets exhausted doing so. I use no full HP after long rest, make them use magical healing, kits, healer feat, or recover slower using their Hit Dice. Con check for resting heavier armors etc.

It all depends on how real or gritty you want the game to feel.

You can check out the couple of tweaks that I'm using for this in my Tweaks, located in my signature.

Looking at some of this stuff now. Thank you. What I'm wanting is something where the PCs can play a character more similar to themselves, more like normal people caught in a magical world. I wanting to do an almost "Quantum Leap" type of thing where they jump from periods of time to different worlds altogether to solve problems or to find certain historical or fantasy figures.

Zman
2016-08-02, 07:41 PM
Looking at some of this stuff now. Thank you. What I'm wanting is something where the PCs can play a character more similar to themselves, more like normal people caught in a magical world. I wanting to do an almost "Quantum Leap" type of thing where they jump from periods of time to different worlds altogether to solve problems or to find certain historical or fantasy figures.

Are you sure a d20 or Dnd 5e is the right fit for this? I feel like other systems could be a better fit for that sort of game.

RATHSQUATCH
2016-08-02, 07:58 PM
Are you sure a d20 or Dnd 5e is the right fit for this? I feel like other systems could be a better fit for that sort of game.

Well...the solution is "just play GURPs". I'd like to avoid making my players learn a new system if possible. I think 5E could be a great conduit for a gritty system of play. It is a simple enough system I feel it can be adapted.

Zman
2016-08-02, 08:38 PM
Well...the solution is "just play GURPs". I'd like to avoid making my players learn a new system if possible. I think 5E could be a great conduit for a gritty system of play. It is a simple enough system I feel it can be adapted.

Fair point. I'd use an E6 variant of 5e using grittier rules like above. I'm sure you could use a lower realistic fitting stat array, to model your players. Problem I've had with games like that is I can never model myself, in a given group of gamers I'm virtually guaranteed to have the highest Atr and Con, likely the Highest Dex and Cha too, an an ain't way above average too.

Best solution is having the characters rate their six characteristics feom best to worst and put their stats in that order.

RATHSQUATCH
2016-08-03, 06:44 AM
Fair point. I'd use an E6 variant of 5e using grittier rules like above. I'm sure you could use a lower realistic fitting stat array, to model your players. Problem I've had with games like that is I can never model myself, in a given group of gamers I'm virtually guaranteed to have the highest Atr and Con, likely the Highest Dex and Cha too, an an ain't way above average too.

Best solution is having the characters rate their six characteristics feom best to worst and put their stats in that order.

I was honestly thinking of having the players start at 10 in all stats, then giving them one attribute point each level they attain. That way they can build to a more heroic character as they go along. I'd have to redevelop classes similar to D20 Modern, without the high fantasy stuff. The idea would be to have them "jumping through worlds" to accomplish things or to recruit certain fictional or historical figures to fight alongside them.

miner3203
2016-08-03, 01:44 PM
I don't remember where I found this originally (so, alas, I can't give credit to the actual creator), but I found Mortal Overhaul (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7zizobDKSRUdTljNkxlT3A2ekU/edit) in my bookmarks. I haven't looked at it since I first started playing 5e, but maybe it's worth a shot.