PDA

View Full Version : Multiclass option

Albonor
2016-08-02, 11:40 AM
Hi,

One of the players in my campain is a human rogue playing your typical treasure hunter. He's still at level two but would really like to explore his character's fascination with the Damned, the souless people of the valley where the story is taking place. No Rogue archetype seems to fit this spiritual exploration and I was wondering if you guys had any ideas. What I have so far:

1) Ranger. Favored ennemy works well to represent this study of a specific group, a few animist spells also complement the playstyle nicely and the stealth/archery thing also works. Hunter probably

2) Lore Bard. Extra skill, expertise in them, etc. Way too many spells IMHO I feel like the Bard is now more of a caster than some warlocks or Sorcerers...

3) Knowledge cleric. Doesn't fit the fluff of my campain as you need an actual god behing you spells.

4) ???

Thoughts?

WereRabbitz
2016-08-02, 12:01 PM
Knowledge cleric isn't bad. You can pick up Double proficiency with History and Religion as well as spells like Identify & speak with the dead. Also gives you ability to Channel Divinity and become proficient with a skill or tool.

Throw in 4 levels of fighter with your rogue build and you have a variable Indiana Jones build going.

He's a treasure hunter right?

Rogue: represents his ability to act on his feet, deal with traps and be sneaky

Fighter: Represents he can handle himself in a fight maybe picking up a few maneuver cheap shot tricks

Cleric: Pick up History & Religion double prof skills as a he would well versed in the lore of the area & peoples if he is a treasure hunter. Also the Speak with dead & Identify just help to gather hard to find information & knowing the value of treasure through identify. The Ability to use Channel Divinity to gain short term proficiency in a skill or tool reinforces the resourcefulness of a treasure hunter. Also gives the character a little bit of moral background.

So you got a full package of treasure hunter, learned man, fighter, and most importantly very resourceful and quick on his feat.

RickAllison
2016-08-02, 05:58 PM
For the Knowledge Cleric idea, maybe you could try the new Theurge. Flavor the divine magic as studying the ancient powers that fuel this valley, and learning to siphon away some of those powers for his own use. Still get the knowledge proficiencies and the other non-combat capabilities of the knowledge cleric, but it is much more easily flavored as a study of the power rather than a study on behalf of the power like a cleric. The idea can still stand as a cleric, but might be a little different (rather than just beginning to see the magic, it explodes out in front of the PC. He instantly learns two appropriate languages and gains a newfound knowledge of what is happening).

"You see a faint glow hidden among some rubble... It is a rune, but none of you understand its meaning. It seems to call to Montana James..."

Cleric: "Your mind feels like it folds in upon itself, crushed by the weight of the knowledge channeling into you. You see flashes of the Damned, their former lives, and even some of what is to come. You feel their language develop, both the archaic runes like you have touched and the strange tongue of the soulless. Finally, you feel the magic in the valley overcome you, driving you to... Something. What is it, what?

"As you rejoin reality, you see a strange mark on [choose part of body]. What could it mean, and what was that sight? It seems just out of reach..." (The mark is a symbol of the primal force, marking the PC as one with a destiny that he must complete or be turned into a monster. I may be ripping off Final Fantasy XIII).

Theurge: "When you touch the rune, you feel a great surge of knowledge overcome you. As you feel back from the experience, you see new things, the very threads of magic in the air." More gradual process, unveil the knowledge as he unearths it.