PDA

View Full Version : Help me write relevant DMing/GMing articles

DE5PA1R
2016-08-02, 02:18 PM
I’m thinking of starting some kind of website around DMing/GMing. When you talk to your friends about it, what do you say? What’s the biggest problem around DMing/GMing?

thedanster7000
2016-08-03, 05:46 AM
The players :smalltongue:

In all seriousness, I think the problems most new GMs will have will be regarding story writing and performance rather than rules-based issues if that's of help.

DE5PA1R
2016-08-03, 07:18 AM
The players :smalltongue:

In all seriousness, I think the problems most new GMs will have will be regarding story writing and performance rather than rules-based issues if that's of help.

Haha! Yes, the players. Always the players.

Thanks, this does help. I've received a lot of requests elsewhere regarding player social interactions at the table.

Jay R
2016-08-03, 11:04 AM
I think that you're approaching this backwards. The reason to write something is that you have something you want to say. If you don't have many topics in your head, demanding to get out, then you're not ready to start a blog.

Once you write a few, and people fiund you, the comments will help direct you to what your readers would like to hear about next. But you need to start with your topics.

DE5PA1R
2016-08-03, 11:32 AM
I think that you're approaching this backwards. The reason to write something is that you have something you want to say. If you don't have many topics in your head, demanding to get out, then you're not ready to start a blog.

Once you write a few, and people fiund you, the comments will help direct you to what your readers would like to hear about next. But you need to start with your topics.

I disagree.

goto124
2016-08-03, 06:49 PM
I disagree.

Sounds like you don't have much to say :smalltongue:

Honest Tiefling
2016-08-03, 07:22 PM
Explain your DMing style and why you do it and why it is the best DMing style. What has worked for you, and what hasn't. Pepper in some old gaming stories of yours or of friends.

Darth Ultron
2016-08-03, 07:25 PM
I’m thinking of starting some kind of website around DMing/GMing. When you talk to your friends about it, what do you say? What’s the biggest problem around DMing/GMing?

The biggest problem is people play the game in only one style, then they encounter a problem and don't know what to do, and the problem is basically their style of play. And as they never even consider that, they are just stuck in a rut.

BayardSPSR
2016-08-03, 10:04 PM
Sounds like you don't have much to say :smalltongue:

Which means that finding people who do, and hosting/moderating discussions between them, is an option. OP already has the theme of the first post.

2D8HP
2016-08-03, 10:33 PM
Problems DM'ing?
1) First it was memorizing the rules, so when I was ten years old , I read the 48 page "Blue book" D&D rules three whole times over, before I felt I got it.
2) Then it was coming up with "adventures", so I read some stories, and watched some movies and I stole combined plot elements, and now it's second nature.
3) Then it was my players wanted to play RPG's with different settings, which we weren't familiar with, and I didn't have time to really learn the rules, so I just made the rules up and "winged it" (my players didn't really know the rules either), and the players loved it!
4) Now the problem is the players know the rules better than I do, and they're a lot more rules then there used to be, and each time the PC's "level up", there's a new ability and rule to remember, so I'm back to the problem being learning the rules, just as it was in 1978!

NichG
2016-08-03, 10:36 PM
Seems like 'how to improv well', 'how to run without prep when the players surprise you', etc are key points that often come up.

Maybe beyond the basics of improv, which you can find all over the place, an interesting topic would be 'how to be creative on demand'.

BayardSPSR
2016-08-03, 10:40 PM
Maybe beyond the basics of improv, which you can find all over the place, an interesting topic would be 'how to be creative on demand'.

(Side note: "cheat and make the players do it for you encourage player participation in plot and worldbuilding" is a partial solution to that one.)

Lorsa
2016-08-04, 03:16 AM

I think you should listen to Jay R, he has sound advice.

Nevertheless, the biggest problem around GMing is similar to what Jay R wants you to do with your website. All games have to be adapted to the desires of your players, and that is one of the largest issues I have seen. Sure enough, once you start a campaign and is unfamiliar with your players, you need to start with what's in your own head. As the game progress though, the comments from your players should direct what you give them.

This is the largest problem I have noticed as a player, the inability to understand and provide the kind of game the players will enjoy.

DE5PA1R
2016-08-04, 09:59 AM
I appreciate the spirit behind the advice offered in the thread.

Here's the thing: there's more than one way to get inspiration for writing.

One would be to write things I happen to want to write about at the time I want to write them.

The other would be to see visitors on my site (in other words, proof people want to read the things I'm writing). To pursue this route, I write about tough situations faced by many GMs and possible ways to deal with them.

So long as I'm writing *something* about tabletop gaming, to me the latter is more validating and a better long-term motivator than writing based on whim. It's also a good way of challenging myself to be a better, more knowledgeable writer and write about things I might need to research first.

Ultimately I want to build a readership so I know I'm helping people solve the problems at their table. That's what will inspire me to write.

Jay R
2016-08-04, 12:10 PM
That makes sense. Unfortunately, the people who are likeliest to reply are the ones who come up with answers, not questions.

Based on your goals as listed above, I recommend that you browse these forums (shudder) reading the first post from anybody who tagged the thread with "DM help". Those are the questions people are actually turning to the internet for advice on.

Elvenoutrider
2016-08-04, 12:52 PM
IF youre stuck for ideas, you can look at a few different podcasts for inspiration: gaming and bs is a good one.

Dragonexx
2016-08-04, 04:57 PM
There's a link to a thread about GM advice in my sig. It goes on for several pages.

Lorsa
2016-08-05, 07:13 AM
Jay R is right unfortunately. You're asking people for questions when they're the ones used to come up with solutions.

But I'll give it a shot. The biggest problem (since you did ask for THE biggest) is that some people seem to be under the assumption that GMing is some god-given natural talent one either has, or lacks completely. If you can write an article that helps people both get over their mental issues regarding actually getting started, but also gives advice for how to get targeted practice that would be great.

With targeted practice I mean the difference of learning as you go with absolutely no teaching, as opposed to having a teacher helping you along. Some form of "GM textbook" with exercises one could do to help people learn the crucial skills.

Come to think of it, I might even find it interesting to write one such myself. If I could ever find the time.

Garimeth
2016-08-05, 08:01 AM
I think you should listen to Jay R, he has sound advice.

In the whole time I've been on these boards, I don't think I've ever seen Jay R give bad advice.

2D8HP
2016-08-05, 09:04 AM
In the whole time I've been on these boards, I don't think I've ever seen Jay R give bad advice.He's probably too busy "having a life", but I wish he'd have a gaming blog, I also wish Lorsa had one as well.
At least Yora does.

Garimeth
2016-08-05, 10:45 AM
He's probably too busy "having a life", but I wish he'd have a gaming blog, I also wish Lorsa had one as well.
At least Yora does.

My friends and I are going to be launching an all-inclusive gaming website next year where we cover video games, ttrpgs, and even board games. I'm one of the primary source writers for the TTRPG stuff, particularly for world-building, game management and logistics, and GMing. I have a list of people in mind to see if they are interested in ever doing a guest article, and every person you mentioned is on that list, lol.

Deaxsa
2016-08-05, 11:23 PM
I always have trouble properly expressing the theme I'd like to convey while I DM.

I also have problems deciding when to go for physical stuff such as maps and pictures, and when it's ok to simply rely on description , or to a greater extent if my description is ever enough, though I think some of my fears there come from the fact that my players are quite unresponsive (partially my fault -- I've been a bad dm in the past)

Another thing I struggle with is how to get it so that I actually get to play this stupid game instead of constantly being stuck DMing. :P

Another thing is how I decide to deal with players actions that I disapprove of, but as a dm I have limited in-character tools to endorse or condemn certain behaviors without ruining the players snse of agency or campaigns general atmosphere.

Though I am curious how the OP would answer his own question, obviously he has worried or doubts or problems like these, there's no such thing as a perfect game.

Lorsa
2016-08-06, 05:31 AM
He's probably too busy "having a life", but I wish he'd have a gaming blog, I also wish Lorsa had one as well.
At least Yora does.

My friends and I are going to be launching an all-inclusive gaming website next year where we cover video games, ttrpgs, and even board games. I'm one of the primary source writers for the TTRPG stuff, particularly for world-building, game management and logistics, and GMing. I have a list of people in mind to see if they are interested in ever doing a guest article, and every person you mentioned is on that list, lol.

Uh. Thank you, I suppose. Not sure what I did to deserve that though, I tend to err towards being a bit more argumentative than the grounded guru Jay R.

I always have trouble properly expressing the theme I'd like to convey while I DM.

This is a tricky one. Theme is not entirely created by you, the players have a hand as well.

I am not sure if you mean when simply describing the game you want for your players, or if it has to do with conveying it during play. I will go with the latter.

In general, I find theme to be best conveyed through emotion. Finding the right music can do wonders for you. Then it comes to description of the world around you, and as with all descriptions it starts in your mind. Try to envision, as clear as possible, the world with the theme in mind. Practice describing locations or characters in as short manner as possible, but that brings those images to mind.

Have your NPCs act in a way appropriate to the theme. Make the situations the PCs run into be appropriate to the theme; if the story doesn't fit no music or description can help you.

Basically: show don't tell.

I also have problems deciding when to go for physical stuff such as maps and pictures, and when it's ok to simply rely on description , or to a greater extent if my description is ever enough, though I think some of my fears there come from the fact that my players are quite unresponsive (partially my fault -- I've been a bad dm in the past)

Is it common with misunderstanding among your players? Do you have to roll back on actions as it turns out your players had a different view of the surroundings than you yourself had? If not, then you don't need the physical stuff. If so, then either get better at communication or use visual aids.

Ultimately, maps and pictures are there to help. If everyone understands most things well without them, forget it.

Another thing I struggle with is how to get it so that I actually get to play this stupid game instead of constantly being stuck DMing. :P

If you find the answer to that, let me know. So far the only advice I have is "perform so poorly that nobody ever wants to play with you". Hardly constructive.

Another thing is how I decide to deal with players actions that I disapprove of, but as a dm I have limited in-character tools to endorse or condemn certain behaviors without ruining the players snse of agency or campaigns general atmosphere.

I assume this refers to player characters' actions, and not players themselves. If your players regularly throw pens at you for example, that's a whole other story than if their character murders people on sight or is more merciful.

Why do you disapprove of the actions? In general, I find it best not to use value judgments when it comes to PC actions. They do what they do, it's not for me to decide. It is for me to decide on plausible consequences of those actions however.

If the way your players portray their characters makes for a game that is not enjoyable to you, then you need to have an OOC conversation with them obviously. Perhaps you didn't tell them your expectations clearly (such as "I wanted you to play evil bastards, stop this silly life sparing merciful activity"). Try to make sure to be as clear as possible with expectations before the game, so that if players stray from the "same page agreement", you can point to it and see if they change their behavior. If not, there's always quitting.

Though I am curious how the OP would answer his own question, obviously he has worried or doubts or problems like these, there's no such thing as a perfect game.

Ops, I am not the OP. Not sure I helped either.