PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed City Building Question

Ursus Spelaeus
2016-08-02, 06:16 PM
I have a question about building cities using the DMG and its web expansion.
The web expansion recommends twenty districts for a small city, but it seems like the class demographics for these districts are vastly different from those on p. 139.
Your thoughts?

Also, how would you recommend adapting these tables for an XPH/ToB/MoI only campaign where the PHB classes are not used?

Thanks.

Extra Anchovies
2016-08-02, 08:06 PM
Also, how would you recommend adapting these tables for an XPH/ToB/MoI only campaign where the PHB classes are not used?

How about these replacements:

Barbarian -> half to Warblade, half to Totemist
Bard -> Incarnate
Cleric -> half to Crusader, half to Psion
Druid -> Totemist
Fighter -> Warblade
Monk -> Swordsage
Paladin -> half to Crusader, half to Soulborn
Ranger -> Psychic Warrior
Rogue -> half to Swordsage, half to Incarnate
Sorcerer -> Wilder
Wizard -> Psion

Ursus Spelaeus
2016-08-02, 08:57 PM
How about these replacements:

Barbarian -> half to Warblade, half to Totemist
Bard -> Incarnate
Cleric -> half to Crusader, half to Psion
Druid -> Totemist
Fighter -> Warblade
Monk -> Swordsage
Paladin -> half to Crusader, half to Soulborn
Ranger -> Psychic Warrior
Rogue -> half to Swordsage, half to Incarnate
Sorcerer -> Wilder
Wizard -> Psion

I like the idea of cutting things in half. I've tried doing demographics with the WE districts rules and I keep getting way too many fighters (warblades) and rogues (swordsages) but not nearly enough paladins (crusaders) and other things.

I understand that the DSP books have psionic NPC classes. Do they have demographic information as well?

*edit*

Honestly, I'll probably just disregard the books altogether and just populate the city the way I feel it should be populated; with a psionic order for every discipline and a fighting dojo for every initiator style, each with its own resident master. But I wanted some guidelines to help me in uncertain situations, or as a springboard for ideas.