PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Makin' 5e Look All Old Skool [Silliness]

Amechra
2016-08-02, 09:19 PM
I started playing D&D using (heavily houseruled) 1e, so there's a part of me that yearns for tables and descending AC. So why not introduce it to 5e?

1. Instead of having an attack bonus, you have a Thac0 (like god intended!). Thac0 stands for "To-hit AC 0", for all you whippersnappers in the audience.

Everyone has a Thac0 based off the following table - subtract the appropriate ability score modifier from the number given to get your Thac0:

Level
Thac0

1-4

5-8

9-12

13-16

17-20

For example, a 5th level Fighter with Strength 15 and Dexterity 13 would have a Thac0 of 15 for most melee attacks and a Thac0 of 16 for most ranged attacks.

2) "AC 0", you say? Yes, I say! Subtract your filthy, filthy ascending AC from 20 to get your real AC. If that same Fighter put on a platemail and had a shield, they'd have an AC of 2.

3) "Wait, 2? Wouldn't it be 0, since the shield gives a +2 to AC?" Codswallop! Shields give your opponent a -2 penalty to their actual roll, obviously. Stops your AC from changing all that much. Same thing happens with the fancy Shield spells you whippersnappers are internetting about on the Twitters and Facebooks!

4) "How do I know if I hit?" Simple - just roll a d20, add your target's AC to the roll, and compare it to your Thac0. If you rolled equal to or higher to your Thac0, you hit! Congratulations.

Now get off my lawn!

Secret Wizard
2016-08-02, 09:27 PM
man i miss looking at numbers in baldur's gate, ignoring completely what they meant, and just steamrolling everything with my "hit first or get blown up" kensai fighter

JNAProductions
2016-08-02, 09:45 PM
That seems confusing and unnecessary. For all you Grognards out there who actually enjoy this, more power to you, but I, for one, will stay the flarping heck away from it.

Amechra
2016-08-02, 10:37 PM
That seems confusing and unnecessary. For all you Grognards out there who actually enjoy this, more power to you, but I, for one, will stay the flarping heck away from it.

This is a joke - no one actually likes Thac0.

I haven't even seen descending AC in an OSR product in forever.

JNAProductions
2016-08-02, 10:38 PM
Jokes? Jokes have no place here! ALL MUST BE COMPLETELY SERIOUS! YARGAHGAHBLAGBAJFPSAJPORWIJAIOFNSLKANCLK:AHNGFOI:A EW!

Oki.

JBPuffin
2016-08-03, 07:23 AM
I've never even played old-school DnD, and I like THAC0...That might just be the ACKS talking, though.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-08-03, 07:42 AM
-snip-

Yes, and we can finally fix the potion of heroism! -10% THAC0 for all!

That's all I ever wanted, really.

Inchoroi
2016-08-03, 05:53 PM
I started playing D&D using (heavily houseruled) 1e, so there's a part of me that yearns for tables and descending AC. So why not introduce it to 5e?

1. Instead of having an attack bonus, you have a Thac0 (like god intended!). Thac0 stands for "To-hit AC 0", for all you whippersnappers in the audience.

Everyone has a Thac0 based off the following table - subtract the appropriate ability score modifier from the number given to get your Thac0:

Level
Thac0

1-4

5-8

9-12

13-16

17-20

For example, a 5th level Fighter with Strength 15 and Dexterity 13 would have a Thac0 of 15 for most melee attacks and a Thac0 of 16 for most ranged attacks.

2) "AC 0", you say? Yes, I say! Subtract your filthy, filthy ascending AC from 20 to get your real AC. If that same Fighter put on a platemail and had a shield, they'd have an AC of 2.

3) "Wait, 2? Wouldn't it be 0, since the shield gives a +2 to AC?" Codswallop! Shields give your opponent a -2 penalty to their actual roll, obviously. Stops your AC from changing all that much. Same thing happens with the fancy Shield spells you whippersnappers are internetting about on the Twitters and Facebooks!

4) "How do I know if I hit?" Simple - just roll a d20, add your target's AC to the roll, and compare it to your Thac0. If you rolled equal to or higher to your Thac0, you hit! Congratulations.

Now get off my lawn!

ohgodthenightmaresarerealohgodthenightmaresarereal ohgodthenightmaresarerealohgodthenightmaresarereal ohgodthenightmaresarerealohgodthenightmaresarereal ohgodthenightmaresarereal

RyumaruMG
2016-08-04, 03:23 PM
Amechra, are you sure you're not some form of devil that feeds specifically on the suffering of tabletop RPG players?