PDA

View Full Version : Cleric/Theurge of the Raven Queen: Help?

RickAllison
2016-08-02, 11:17 PM
Hello, everybody!

Today I would like to ask everyone about making a Cleric 1 (maybe 2)/Theurge X of the Raven Queen. Three domains come into question with this build:

Life. More healing and heavy armor.

Death. More damage and martial weapons.

Knowledge. Expertise and the ability to have whatever tools/skills I need.

At this point, I am thinking Knowledge for my Theurge (so he can use the tools with Fabricate) and Life for my cleric domain. Question time:

Which class should I take first?

Is the extra damage from Reaper worth the loss of heavy armor and the healing?

What 1st-level spells are worth taking as wizard spells and which can just be kept as cleric ones?

Stats aren't an issue, both my Int and Wis are above point-buy anyway. I don't really care much for combat, as utility is my focus, but contributing more is always welcome.

2016-08-02, 11:40 PM
I'm unaware of a theurge option, barring homebrew. Am I just out of the loop?

RickAllison
2016-08-02, 11:51 PM
I'm unaware of a theurge option, barring homebrew. Am I just out of the loop?

Just came out in the most recent UA (The Faithful). Basically a wizard with cleric domain features and who can poach some cleric spells (though it is limited by domain until they are all obtained).

Christian
2016-08-03, 12:12 PM
The Faithful (http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/faithful). Also has a new warlock patron ...

2016-08-03, 05:26 PM
Which class should I take first?

Assuming you're playing from level 1, I suggest going Cleric first, since they're more survivable.[/quote]

Is the extra damage from Reaper worth the loss of heavy armor and the healing?

I don't think so; with Knowledge Theurge as your main class for the majority of the campaign, you're never really gonna be a big blaster like some other casters. I would suggest sticking to utility and support, which means going for healing.

What 1st-level spells are worth taking as wizard spells and which can just be kept as cleric ones?

*shrug*

RickAllison
2016-08-03, 06:32 PM
It is sort of starting at level 10, but I guess that still leaves Cleric as fine.

Giving up blazing is fine with me. We have a Sorclock for artillery, so control is probably a better fit anyway :smallsmile:

Theodoxus
2016-08-04, 05:59 PM
Do you have the party breakdown? Level 10 as a starting point is sufficiently broad, that given the two classes, where you place the two levels (and I recommend 2, as Channel is worth it) of Cleric isn't really important.

Without that information, I'd recommend Life. You're not going to be going into combat, so weapon proficiency isn't important. But heavy armor is a godsend, and if you can manage to procure Adamantine, even better, especially on a wizard.

RickAllison
2016-08-17, 11:05 PM
Do you have the party breakdown? Level 10 as a starting point is sufficiently broad, that given the two classes, where you place the two levels (and I recommend 2, as Channel is worth it) of Cleric isn't really important.

Without that information, I'd recommend Life. You're not going to be going into combat, so weapon proficiency isn't important. But heavy armor is a godsend, and if you can manage to procure Adamantine, even better, especially on a wizard.

We have an Arcane Trickster/Bard, a Moon Druid, an Open Hand Monk, and a Sorclock. And is the Channel Divinity (10 HP once per short rest and as an action) really worth the loss of wizard levels? It's nice, but I feel like Healing Word covers fine for that kind of use.