PDA

View Full Version : Curse of Strahd Dark Gifts

AttilatheYeon
2016-08-03, 12:06 AM
Hi, quick question about the Dark Gifts from the Amber Temple. Specifically the +4 Charisma. How long does it last in AL play? It isn't a spell and doesn't list a duration. If it last past CoS, i may need to play a sorc through the module.

Thanks for all replies

tsuyoshikentsu
2016-08-03, 01:30 AM
FOREVER.

And speaking as a Warlock? Yeah, you need to take a Sorc through that. :-)

Mandarblade
2016-08-03, 09:09 AM
As someone who recently received this on my Lvl 6 Sorcerer I am pretty stoked to have 22 Charisma already. As Attila said it is a permanent buff, and one of very few available from the Amber Temple. However if you fail the save upon receiving the gift and become possessed it is my understanding that after the 1 year and 1 day of "possession" you would lose the +4 Charisma.

Note: That whether you succeed the check or fail it the +4 Cha can be removed through the power of a Wish Spell. Obviously your companions are unlikely to do this to you so as long as you don't gloat about surviving the "Gifting" process to the BBEG I would consider it extremely unlikely to lose the benefit if you succeeded on the initial save.

AttilatheYeon
2016-08-03, 10:40 AM
Ok thanks for the replies. I'll assume all of this applies to Adventure League play also. 😀

AttilatheYeon
2016-08-03, 01:44 PM
Wait... 22 Charisma? Is that right? Isn't the cap 20?

Sigreid
2016-08-03, 10:44 PM

There are a small number of ways in the game to get attributes above 20, with an absolute level of 30. Generally these should be considered epic play options, IMO.

Mandarblade
2016-08-04, 08:30 AM

The dark gift from Zantras, the Kingmaker specifies the following:
"This dark gift increases the beneficiary's Charisma by 4, up to a maximum of 22."
with the flaw - "I won't take no for an answer"

So this is one of the few ways that let you break the limit.

Aurthur
2016-08-04, 04:39 PM
A level 6 group/character made it successfully into the Amber Temple, all the way to the vestiges?

You must have had a gentle DM...congrats.

Mandarblade
2016-08-05, 09:03 AM
Well we have a party of 7 when everyone shows up, 5 of which have the capacity to cast some form of healing which definitely helped.

DM wise I was very nervous when he sent us there at such a low level but through gratuitous amounts of Rests we were able to slowly work our way through and clear out the bad guys. The DM is still fairly new to DMing so often makes mistakes/errors that both hurt and help the party. He is definitely not opposed to smashing players into death saves but claims he doesn't try to TPK us.

AttilatheYeon
2016-08-05, 07:35 PM
I guess my new plan is to finish CoS then play Rise of Tiamat for the Red Dragon Mask! 😁