PDA

View Full Version : Autler: Flashback Thread 1

Sønderjye
2016-08-03, 12:34 AM
At The Base, 14.23

"Hey Lavender", Mads adressed his fellow Saint as he floats towards her. Floating might not have been the best word to describe it but Mads couldn't find a better word to describe a portal that looked like it had cut off his feet and decided to take the rest of him with it.

"I had some ideas of combinations that we could try. Are you up for some experimenting? In your state?"

Feralgeist
2016-11-09, 04:45 AM
Max ceases jigging his leg impatiently and jumps up like a spring-loaded meerkat. His hair is blue and his skin is mottled blue&white.
"I'm sorry guys but I can't stand awkward silences, feels like this one has been going on for months. Hey Mads, think fast!"

Max mimes a bitchslap and a glowing white hand appears next to his and starts floating towards Mads
[roll0]

The hand gains definition as it floats towards Mads. Max is momentarily distracted by empathic messages but manages to exert control.

<approval-duty + max defending the beasts>
<wariness-deja vu + series of images of max using his power to straighten a picture frame and blowing a hole through a wall.>

Sønderjye
2016-11-09, 06:11 PM
"Wha.." Mads looks up and is interupted as he practically throws himself backwards to avoid the slap-to-face contact. He trips over an hurdle on the ground and only barely manages to stay on his feet. A wave of anger and self-righteousness pulses through him before he remembers what they had spoken about earlier. "F**k" he curses knowing fully well what should have happened and how he had just failed, "Again! We need to make this thing second nature."

He plants his legs solid on the ground and takes a deep breath while readying himself. He now has a portal high into the air and are readying himself to make another to block whatever Max throws after him.

[roll0]

The above is assuming that the higher roll allows him to avoid the slap. If that isn't the case he'll probably fall over the hurdle but the rest is unchanged.

Feralgeist
2016-11-09, 06:40 PM
My intent was that my roll is max controlling whether or not his ghost hand exploded(He has to concentrate to maintain the limbs, i figured your rolls affect the parameters of the portals, we edit our actions to suit how awesome/crappy their progress is

The ghostly hand detonates, sending a small rush of air outwards. Max winds up and does a roundhouse kick "Ain't no ducking this one!" A spectral white leg appears but before Mads can try to evade or capture it the leg explodes right in front of Max, sending him flying into the wall, winding himself on the cold hard walls. [roll0]

"OOF! Ow.....I'm not sure how much i or the base can take of this. Let's take it somewhere remote next time. Okay, i need a breather. Tash, you're up!!" Tasha barks enthusiastically and retreats to one corner of the room, then coils up and lets loose like a bowshot , charging at Mads.

Sønderjye
2016-11-10, 05:38 AM
Roll to make a portal in time to not be knocked into the wall]
[roll0]

Ramsus
2016-11-10, 01:49 PM
The first explosion wasn't quite as small as both of them remember as they were more focused on Mads' dodge. In truth it would have been quite unfortunate if it had made physical contact.

Tasha essentially dives through Mads as he makes portals at the ends of his outstretched arms.

((In the future it'd be good to know where Mads is trying to put both portals.))

Sønderjye
2016-11-10, 06:14 PM
Mads looks conserned at max but from the way his fellow vigilantee spoke nothing serious had happened.

Mads grins trimphantly upon success. This was the first time that he had actively blocked something. And man it felt good.

"You're right though, we should take it somewhere else. What about your secret hideout?" he says excited about doing some more training. When it went bad it was painful but dang it was fun to play with the powers.

Ramsus
2016-11-10, 08:07 PM
((I think you misunderstood. The limb exploded in front of Max throwing him into the wall.))

Feralgeist
2016-11-12, 06:01 PM
Tasha smashes into the wall behind mads in a plume of dust. She reforms and shakes herself off, happily barking at Mads. The particulate on her surface begins to swirl into circular eddies. Max catches his breath and gives a low whistle. Tasha's ears go flat and she backs off. "Nice one. Uh, the farm? I gotta check it out first, make sure it's habitable for you city folk. Let's put a pin on it. Speaking of pinning, can you free yourself with portals? I'm going to increase the gravity a bit and try to disrupt your concentration. I learnt this move from hanging out with Jenny. Sorry for any discomfort." Lazarus flickers in and lands on a low hanging light and Max's hair turns black, his skin loses the blue and goes pale, His eyes darkening. White streaks go through his hair and his face contorts in effort, one of his eyes turning brown. He opens his mouth and pulsing soundwaves wash over mads,alternating between an ultra-high ringing noise and a sub-woofer low <WUB-WUB-WUB>.

[roll0],

Hey Ramsus in the IC do we roll for any use of our powers or is it just the contested stuff that would affect the plot/fights /challenges etc ?

Feralgeist
2016-11-12, 06:20 PM
Vibration manipulation roll [roll0] Max is trying to throw off Mads' sense of balance with the noise.

Edit: Two at once, that's why he gets the mix of eye/hair colour and is straining with effort. Trying to test/refine his own limits of control while testing Mads'

Ramsus
2016-11-12, 07:40 PM
((Generally you'll only roll if there's some meaningful element of chance. Just practicing against each other, rolling is really only meaningful to see how well you guys do in some manner of contest against each other. Or if you're trying to do something that your character isn't likely to succeed at and it matters if they could fail/do it poorly/need to do it quickly/etc.

And just to check, you're having Max do two links at once? Or were you quickly turning the gravity power on, then switching off to do the vibration one?))

Feralgeist
2016-11-13, 08:32 PM
Edit: Two at once, that's why he gets the mix of eye/hair colour and is straining with effort. Trying to test/refine his own limits of control while testing Mads'

He's making it hard to move while also throwing off balance. Sorry Rams i posted another one then took it and put it in the previous one cause the page was just me all over the place.

Sønderjye
2016-11-14, 06:55 AM
Mads feels bad for a moment as he sees Tasha hitting the wall but then realizes that with that speed the animal might actually have hurt him and his pity disappears.

His victorious grin turns into destilled suprise as the preassure suddenly increases. He takes a step back to catch his balance and tightens his leg muscles to stay standing. "Impressive" he says beneath his breath.

He dismisses the portals around his hands and focusses on a spot just behind Max. Portal A: 4 ahead, 0.3 above head, round - 1 diameter, 90 degree angle. he instructs. He had spent quite some time figuring out how to start thinking in meters rather than feet. It was strange though that his power only accepted meters when he had been used to feet his entire life. He had found that if he didn't specify otherwise it would assume all the parameters to be 0 which was handy when he was making portals close to him but made making portals further away complicated.

If he is successful he'll with all his strength make a jump and when in the air make portal B just below his feet, intending to appear just behind Max.

So I tried to describe the portals as I understand them to work. Is it clear that he's creating a portal behind Max which is round and is just 0.3 meter higher up in the air than Mads head is? Also if some of the stuff that I wrote is incorrect do let me know.

[roll0] to escape the zone of death.

Ramsus
2016-11-14, 12:50 PM
Mads is pretty disoriented but manages to make the portals more or less correctly where they should go. His jump is absolutely pitiful under the effects of the gravity, but it does provide the fraction of empty space needed to put a portal there. Though he does smack one leg against the side as he loses his balance and he falls out of the other portal in a wild tumble onto Max from above. Max who is currently suffering a sudden sharp headache from the dual links and thus doesn't react in time to get out of the way. They both wind up on the floor in a tangled pile feeling sore.

((It's probably better to describe where the portals are going in words rather than numbers. I'm not measuring things out and really a bunch of numbers without enough words is probably going to leave me and maybe the others just kind of confused. It took me a moment to understand the portal behind Max is elevated to a point where it's centered above Mads' head height. That was even with you saying so in your spoiler. >_< ))

Feralgeist
2016-11-14, 04:43 PM
Max lets out a noise somewhere between a yelp and a squawk and topples forward under Mads' weight. He frantically scrambles away, his reaction more panicked than the situation warrants. He glares and clenches his fists, swivelling his gaze. Black veins spiderweb across his face and the streaks fade from his hair, his right eye losing colour and darkening. a stack of chairs in the corner crumples under its own weight and a table collapses. After a second he snaps out of it and goes back to normal, albeit heavily panting.
"I-...I'm Sorry Mads. I think I'm done for today. I can't do this stuff for too long before they start to get in my head. It gets worse when i link two of them. I'll work on it." He goes and retrieves the broom and starts sweeping up some of the mess they've made. "This whole training thing has got me thinking....I hate to admit it bro, but we aren't frontliners. One bullet, one knife and we'll be down like a soggy sack of ****. You saw what happened to Lavender, and she's damn strong! We need something to draw the heat from the Saints when times are getting hectic. I think together you and I could do so much more than we currently have been. What are your thoughts on a fake vigilante? Someone we make up, someone untraceable." He sweeps all the mess into a pile and goes to search for a bin bag to chuck the broken chair fragments in.

Sønderjye
2016-11-14, 05:45 PM
Doing training sessions
"Hah.." Mads let's out a triumphant laugh as he manages to make a portal despite the disruptions but his laugh stops abruptly as he hits the side and his laugh turns more into a shout.

Max hears the shout from both ahead of him and somewhere over him immediately before he is crashed into by Mads who are being propelled into him by the force of the extra gravity.

"Right", Mads mumbles to himself with his face planted in Max stomach. "Gravity causes preassure and preassure is used to make things accelerate...". An idea hits him and he jerks back. "Hey! Let's find a lake of something, then you increase the preassure around the lake and I'll make a portal and we have ourself a water cannon! This could even work on something as simple as a water bottle although I'm not sure how preassure ressistant they are."

"Are you alright?" he asks conserned noticing Max's weird looks. Sure Max looked strange when he used his power but this seemed disproportional.

He looks at Max with a suprised expression. A cover hero? A mischiveous grin starts forming on his face. "I like it" he says. "What are your idea?"

Pondering the strangeness

"I don't get it though." Mads complains to the other M guy. "I mean I like it and it's cool but my power is just super strange. First off it's not intuitive. It works by that I instruct it in which direction I want the portals created and how they are supposed to be shaped and if I don't tell it anything it just sorta defaults so something, like if I don't specify a distance to me it just creates one completely adjacent to me", his monologue stops momentarily while he catches air: "Secondly I don't get the connection, it all seems so random. So I have the portals right? I can also read at a extraordinarily high speed although I don't comprehend faster. And look at this." Mads holds up an old and a new paper. On the old paper is his name written with scrabbles, it looks only marginally better than how a kid's signature looks. On the other his name is written with a completely different handwritting. The combination of the gentleness, the flow that makes up the letters and the way that the empty space is used all together creates something that looks like a piece of art. "My hand writing changed. The portals themselves smell similar to the oldest books at the library where I got my power. And I also got this" Mads lastly shows him the tattoo on his.

Alright, I'll write the stuff about the portals in normal language and only occationally use the way that they actually work as a fluff thing.

Also I took the liberty of having two distinct scenes rolling at once. I figured that since this is flashback anyway it is fine to play two different flashbacks out simultaneously.

Feralgeist
2016-11-15, 01:10 AM
Finishing up.

"I'm good, just got a bit overwhelmed for a sec. Winbags' skittishness and Laz's malice are a harsh combination." Max finishes clearing up the place and pushes the ruined furniture into the corner. "If Nico asks i was never here. I don't suppose you could uh....Y'know. Bloop it away." He mimes waving his hands in an arcane fashion at the mess.
" The lake thing is a great idea, but i think it's too broad an area for me to put enough pressure on. There's a small dam or a dyke or whatever they're called by the farm they used to use to water the livestock, we can test it there. Okay, So!....the decoy cape. Pretty much i use my powers through your portals and we leave a calling card. I might not be able to cause alot of devastation but I'm pretty good at disrupting a conflict, I figure with your range and my versatility we could be pretty damn effective, once we figure out how to coordinate a bit and get a handle on the less intuitive parts of our powers. We either spread or encourage rumours about him. At the very least it'll draw attention from us, best case scenario we might be able to use it to flush out our enemies." He strokes his chin thoughtfully. "It needs a badass name. How about operation LockDown?"

//////////////

"Preaching to the choir, man. Tashas skills are so hard to manage, I swear I'm gonna lose a hand sometime. It's just so unpredictable! Winbags easier to tap but keeps just wandering off, It's like he just vanishes from the face of the planet. That's not even getting started on how it gets into my headspace, which brings me to Laz. His power is easy to use. Almost too easy, and useful in so many situations! It's kind of addictive. I get smarter, my vision is a little better but.....It just takes over sometimes, y'know? Like all the mean parts of me get cranked up to max volume. Honestly it scares me a little. Woah, nice ink! That handwriting....It seems significant. None of this weirdness we get seems to be just random...You say you're having trouble with parameters. You ever try writing the instructions? Like on paper, or in the air. Might help as a mnemonic or whatever, I dunno. It smells like a library right? Maybe you're the librarian, they usually write down where things go. Ha! What a pair we make. Bookworm and Beast-Brain." He chuckles ruefully.

Sønderjye
2016-11-18, 04:02 PM
Finishing up

"How does it feel?" Mads asks looking curious. Max had spoken about being affected emotionally before but never really gone into details.

He sends Max a mischievous grin: "It was already broken." He makes a portal to move the broken chair to one of the storage rooms upstairs."

"Can you make your phantom legs explode at will or does that only happen at accidents?"

Mads grin keeps growing as Max goes into more details with his pet cape. "I like it", he says smiling from ear to ear. "Do we want people to think that LockDown is invisible and invinsible and shows up in person or do we want people to think that he can see everything in town?", he wonders: "Well actually it would probably be too difficult to keep up the image that he can see anything in the city. But is invisible and intangible enough or can we build more on it?"
He is silent for a moment before his eyes widen as he get an idea: "Let's hear if we can get Jenny on board. With her ability to bounce voices we could easily make people attempt to shoot the invisible LockDown."

"Regardless when you are relaxes again I suggest that you connect to your lieutenant and see if you get any new ideas."

Mads is happy that he wasn't the only one with the problem. Truth be told Nicoleta had it worse than him but she seemed to defensive about herself so he didn't want to talk to her about it. "Well I'll concede that your power is weird and has it's own problems but it is sorta intuitive right? When you connect to Winbag you sorta just throw your voice right? You don't specify the origin of your voice to your power, you just sorta do it right?"

"Nice?" he says questioning giving the sigil an extra look. He never really considered whether he liked it or not. He always wanted to have an ink but never decided to due to the health risks involved and his hadn't previously been able to process beyond "This thing was done to me and it may have jeopardize my health. He allows a finger to track the sharp lines of circle of scrolls and the star. "I.. guess. It's strange with the eye though. I feel like I'm being watched."

He nods confirming at the idea about writting things down, wanting to try that for later.

"Librarian?" Mads says with a doubting voice: "I have never seen a librarian with ink". He pauses wondering before continueing: "Though you are right. It does smell a bit like the old books at the library. Also I triggered at a Library so".
"We should probably give it a visit sometime soon."

Writting Portals

At some convient time Mads tries out the idea of writting his commands to the portals on a piece of paper. With his hand(gasp!) he writtes a few commands down in a piece of paper. 'As paper' he tries to command his power holding the paper in his tattooed hand.

If that doesn't work he names the paper "Elft" and writes that at the top of the paper. 'As Elft' he tries doing the same again.

If that doesn't work he'll try with a bunch of variations of the same line of commands.

Cutting Diamonds

"Alright" Mads says holding out a filled water bottle made of alluminium. "I got this one for cheap at a second hand store. Let's see how much you can increase the preassure. There's no rocks or dust in this one because I wanted to be sure that it doesn't break before we try the real stuff."

If Max increases the preassure in the bottle and gives his go Mads will make a portal as small as possible beside a somewhat remote tree and one of similar sound within the bottle seeing if they can use the preassure to damage it.

Ramsus
2016-11-18, 05:36 PM
((On the writing thing... I think Mads is going to wind up tricking himself into thinking his power can see/read. He just wrote the commands down, so he remembers what they were when he activates the power.... so it works. But if he didn't remember or if someone else wrote them down it won't. Also if he remembers incorrectly, it does what he's thinking, not what's written. But this is pretty amusing and seems like a mistake he should make for at least a scene until he tests more thoroughly or someone points out that it might just be that he remembers the commands he wrote down.))

Feralgeist
2016-11-18, 07:07 PM
Finishing up.
You ever have too much to drink, Mads? It feels kinda like that in some ways. You don't really notice it at first but your behaviour, your attitude, the way you react to things, it all changes. It creeps up on you. The longer i tap my powers the stronger it gets. Once Mads moves.the chairs Max nods in appreciation "My hero. Ta mate. As for the limbs, well...I can pretty much make them do whatever I want but once made, they're going to blow. They're pure kinetic force and it takes alot of effort to keep them as a limb. For example, I call this one the throwdown." Max's skin turns mottled and he flicks his hand at the ground. A ghostly white fingertip flies out and explodes with a -pop-

"Not much kinetic force goes into making one that size and it doesn't do anything, so its pretty easy to focus. Something like a whole leg or a hand is alot more complicated and packs a bigger wallop, I can try and determine when they'll go but it's easier to slip. Tasha doesn't make it any easier, Her influence makes me a bit more energetic and wild." His skin returns to normal. "Hm...I agree, I think just a general vibe of "Nobody knows where he'll strike next" is better than trying to keep up the image of omniscience. Yeah man, she's usually up for fun stuff, let's see if she's on board. She'd be way better at getting this sort of thing widespread."

"What? No man, not at all. I make the noise by talking, then i use my power to manipulate the vibrations. I can hear with hyperacuity when I'm linked to the dogs, so it sorta lets me finesse it a bit. Breaking glass and throwing people off is easy, I had to practice it alot of times to figure out the tricks i have with Winbag and his influence gives a good mindset for experimentation, Took me a million goes to throw my voice, and I'm still only okay at mimicry. Same thing when I'm going stealthmode, just humming to myself and distorting the soundwaves to a point they start mucking with the light. I've had alot of practice with that one cause i like to hum to myself on walks.
I don't 'specify' anything to my abilities....it's like figuring out how to wiggle your eyebrows. You just find the bits of yourself that do the thing, or that are connected to the bit that does the thing and then you uh....Y'know. Flex em."

Cutting diamonds.

Max exerts his power and the water inside the bottle is forced under pressure and the hole next to the tree starts jetting water like a garden hose with an attached nozzle. A vein throbs on Max's face as he concentrates with all his will. "I can't tell if im doing it right, I think this is as hard as it goes."As the aluminium bottle half-empties the gravitic force crumples the bottle. "Dammit! Back to the drawing board. It was a good idea but it needs more oomph. Maybe we can get more force if we use a pond or a pool or something and I shove an explosive hand down there behind the water in front of the portal. "
Max paces for a bit"Hey, can you make a portal inside a pressurised container? We get some oxygen tanks and you could have warlock-style fire blasts. Non-lethal option, we steal some tranquilizer gas from somewhere.

From how me and Ramsus described it during the designing process i just don't see the gravity power having enough force to do it on such a small scale. Turning a small pool into a depth-charge cannon is power enough and more feasible in my opinion. Wouldn't be an all-the time option though, cause Max would have to Dual-link to do it.

Sønderjye
2016-11-18, 07:27 PM
I'll come around to respond to the rest at some later point.

Just wanted to throw a note that Mads will wait until the preassure has built up as much as possible(assuming Max can increase the gravity more if he can work on it longer) and only opens a hole to let the water out when the preassure is at it's max.

Ramsus
2016-11-18, 08:09 PM
((Ok I'm a bit confused on a good bit of the technical details on the water cannon/diamond cutter idea. I know there's something being said about the inside of a thermous.... but I know Max can't target that without being able to see inside of it. Is it clear? Also... does it have a shadow in there? Basically yeah, I'm going to need some kind of more detailed and clear as possible explanation of how this idea is supposed to work since it's entirely possible there might be things you're assuming can be done or work certain ways that don't work that way. I'm all for you guys being creative with your powers, but I still do need to understand what you're doing and how.))

Feralgeist
2016-11-18, 08:56 PM
He's just putting the crush on the whole bottle, focusing on the shadow of the bottle. He can't get into fine detail like just the water. For the pool idea he'd put a shadecloth over the pond and focus on that area to create a downward pressure. Then he dual-links for a sec to put an explosive limb inside the water, amping up the presssure (since the shady area is being forced downwards most of the explosion goes down.)

Mads makes a portal at the bottom like a drain in varying sizes to test the effects.

Ramsus
2016-11-18, 11:24 PM
((Ah ok. That was a simpler explanation than I was expecting. Thanks. And yes, that works. I mean.... conceptually at least. Not sure if that'll actually get you enough pressure for the diamond cutter idea though.))

Sønderjye
2016-11-19, 01:33 PM
((OOC: So how does the tree look like after it has been worked on? Do we manage to cut through? If not do we manage to cut through if we mix in some dust?))

Ramsus
2016-11-19, 05:08 PM
((Given the way Frozen's post was written, I assumed it didn't work at all. :smallconfused:

Edit: Re-reading it... I'm gonna say that it just got the tree wet.))

Feralgeist
2016-11-19, 05:22 PM
((It worked exactly as intended!.......assuming our plan was to hydrate a plant. Our enemies shall FEAR the ways in which we can make them soggy.))

Aperture science

"Okay, new plan. Gotta think bigger."

Max walks into the barn and rummages around awhile, eventually coming back out with a tattered, half-rotten shadecloth, some rusty old star pickets, an old hammer and some rope. He pounds the metal posts into place around the small nearby pond and affixes the shade cloth to them, pulling the rope so it's taut and cutting off the excess with his knife.
"Okay, Lockdown barrage take two. When you see me put a boomfist down there, make a portal at the bottom. Whatever size you like. Laz flaps over and lands on Maxs' shoulder while Tasha comes to watch the goings-on. Max's skin goes mottled, his hair turns black and blue and his eyes go one black, one blue. He focuses on the pool and the ripples on the surface of the water from the wind cease, the water becoming still as glass. While keeping up the pressure Max puts out a hand and a glowing fist forms, vibrating with penr up energy. It floats down into the water without so much as a splash. "Do it now, Mads! And take cover!"

Ramsus
2016-11-19, 08:22 PM
((Query 1: Are you applying the gravity effect just at the bottom where the shade is deepest or are you trying to get everything that's in enough shade?
Query 2: How long do you attempt to maintain this for before doing the explosive limb?
Query 3: Is this an attempted 100% strength explosion?))

Feralgeist
2016-11-19, 08:28 PM
((The gravity effect is focused solely on the pool, the shade just lets him target it. Its pressing down against all of the water/soil evenly across that area. Trying to maintain link with Laz the whole time to contain the explosion in the water, dual-linking just long enough to set the charge.

As for question 2 i assumed its a set increase, can he put more of a crush on it by maintaining for longer?

Full power!!))

Ramsus
2016-11-19, 08:46 PM
((The gravity effect doesn't become stronger over time, but pressure is something that builds up rather than is simply instantly there unless we're talking about levels of force that would.... well make this exercise pointless. At least as far as I understand.))

Feralgeist
2016-11-19, 09:16 PM
((If the portal is a smallish one i assumed the shockwave of the explosion would shove the water in the bottom half of the pond at the entry portal with a significant amount of force, creating the pressure, then the sustained gravity power keeps the pressure up on the top half of the water as the pond starts to drain and any upward force is redirected/expended. If the initial force has promising results on the water coming out of the exit portal i guess he'll try dual-linking again on&off to lob more explosions into the pool for as long as he can manage before getting overwhelmed.))

Ramsus
2016-11-20, 07:49 PM
((Sonder, I've been waiting on you to say you make the portal and how big and how far away from the tree and other stuff like that.))

Sønderjye
2016-11-21, 03:15 AM
Mads had taken cover behind a big rock. He made one portal, square and slightly smaller than his pinkie, touching the middle of a tree 200m away and when Maax shouts he makes one close to the bottom of the pond.

Ramsus
2016-11-21, 05:58 AM
The first thing to go against expectations is that the water on the surface doesn't go still, rather it just ripples in rather unusual ways. The second is that the explosion sends water spraying upwards with enough force to push the shadecloth partially off. The third is that the tree gets hit with a spray probably about as strong as the highest setting of a garden hose by the time it reaches the tree (though this is somewhat hard to judge since it's just a blast of water followed by a trickle as the pond starts draining out of the portal instead of any kind of stream of high pressure water). Suffice to say, it gets wet again. Also Max has another migraine.

((I know you kind of said it the other way, but I'm assuming anyway that you put at least some distance from the tree and portal A and the explosion and portal B otherwise you wouldn't really be testing your idea. You'd just be putting a tree next to an explosion that happens to be occurring underwater. You already know what's going to happen there and the water isn't a meaningful addition.))

After a few minutes of thinking on what he saw Mads applies his vast knowledge of things technical and determines the following:
-The way Max's gravity power works isn't going to create pressure in any meaningful way and as it appears to work more or less as regular gravity does.
-Doing anything noticeable to the force of the explosion with gravity would be several factors stronger than what Max possesses.
-Single or multiple varying strength explosions are not a good way to apply consistent force and don't really do a lot as far as directed force of any kind when the force of the explosion also isn't directed.
-In order to do the thing the two of you are trying to do you'd have to do some radically different stuff. Mostly stuff that involves machinery and tubes, especially tubes if you want consistent pressure basically at all. In essence you'd basically be doing what every other person on the planet would do, but you'd be able to put a portal in front of it. You don't offhand know how Max would even factor in.
-Max probably shouldn't use this explosion power even at fraction of his strength anywhere near people underwater unless he wants to kill them.
-This last tidbit reminded you of Max's missed slap-explosion earlier and it occurs to you that even at as low power as that might have been, the human face and neck don't really stand up all that well to that much force and at minimum you probably would have needed to go to the hospital if the "tiny" explosion had been in direct contact with you. In much the same way that it's not a good idea to detonate fireworks on your face.

Sønderjye
2016-11-21, 03:33 PM
Finishing Up

"Of course I haven't" Mads replies, "drinking makes you do stubid stuff, damages your liver, gives you various heart related diseases, vitamin deficiency, and gives you Ulcers, gastitis and cancer. And if that wasn't bad enough the sheer ammount of brain cells you lose from a single night drinking should be enough to scare anybody away. Honestly if it was introduced today we wouldn't have allowed it. But I think I understand what you're saying."

I'll notice that the characters oppinion might not reflect that of the author.

"Yeah that's what I mean. Your abilities are like an extra set of body parts you need to figure out how to use. Mine is nothing like that. I litterally need to tell it where I want the portals", He pauses realizing something: "Also that's a pretty cool set of powers you have there. "

Writting Portals

So now that you have told me how it works I'll have a hard time playing that I don't know or rather I don't think I'll have much fun.
Could have been fun if the library recognized prewritten commands. Oh well
Aperture science

"Yeah the idea of making a portal inside a preassured container is good but I'm not sure what the difference would be between making a portal inside and spraying the inside stuff into a portal."

Mads makes a displease grunt as their united efforts once again merely culminates in a slightly more hydrated tree: "I'm not sure we can get the preassure high enough with this."
He then shares what he he concluded based on his vast knowledge.

Terminal Velocity

"Something similar though", he says picking up the smoothest rock he can find, looking at it thoughtful: "Would be to see what an impact at terminal velocity would be". He looks at Max and realized that he started speaking science again: "Eh, so if you drop something it keeps accelerating and if there were no friction it would keep accelerating, however with air friction there is a max speed which is called terminal velocity. I know that skydivers tend to reach a max speed of about 130 mph but the human body isn't very dense and they intentionally try to catch as much air as possible to travel slower. I faintly recall someone managing to travel really crazy fast by streamlining his body"

Mads creates a pair of identical round portals about 1.5 meter in diameter, one over the other. He holds in the rock in between the two aiming the sharper side downwards. He then lets go and quickly moves away and from behind a safe cover he observes the rock accelerating. When it doesn't seem like it's gaining speed anymore he moves them further apart to give himself enough time and at the right time he dismisses the top portal and then instantly makes another at the same spot but aiming towards a nearby tree.

So I don't know how fast rocks can go and couldn't find any clear answer since it depends on the shape, weight and density of the rock. Fastest man managed to reach a speed of 614 mph though so I'd gather that they are pretty dang fast. Source (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_fall)

Feralgeist
2016-11-21, 05:48 PM
Aperture science

"I agree, but at least we learned one thing. We would be a HIT at wet T-shirt contests"

Max wrings out his hair and massages his temples. "Clearly we aren't as compatible as i thought. Let's stick to what we each know for a bit. And the pressurized container, well, it's for when we're out and about. There's a bit of difference between lugging an oxygen tank around to spray at folk compared to putting forth your hand, holding up a lighter and emitting a gout of flame. The point is we leave the tanks here or at the secret hideout, you can tap them from wherever you are for offense, no ******* around with valves or nozzles. Just make an appropriately size portal and bam! Instant gas."

Terminal Velocity.

Max frowns slightly. "I know basic physics dude, I'm studying to be a Vet. You don't need to dumb it down for me."
Once Mads explains his plan Max nods "It's a legit plan. Make it happen, el capitain!
He rubs his hands together excitedly as the rock starts to gain momentum "Now we're talking! Ooooh, just you wait tree, your end is nigh!"

Max dismisses his link with Lazarus and taps Tasha, taking on the mottled hue and blueness. He reaches over his back and draws out a glowing replica of a spine. Max plants it in the earth and retreats to a safe distance, concentrating on maintaining the phantom manifestation.

[roll0]
Max is seeing how long he can maintain a phantom thingo for, if it's feasible then super-dangerous force-sword of metaphysical dynamite!

Edit: Oh god, look at that roll. At least let him keep a couple of fingers!!:smalleek:

Ramsus
2016-11-21, 08:38 PM
Not used to conjuring the phantom limbs into his hands, Max summons it just outside his grip and since he was telling it to move in a way in which it obeyed gravity properly....it just drops to the ground and explodes, sending him flying backwards. Thankfully he hadn't made the force very strong. Also that he wasn't holding it when it hit the ground since apparently that counts as a trigger for it exploding and his hand would have been on it. And this would have been right after telling Mads he doesn't need basic physics explained to him. Maaaaaan would that have been embarrassing. Well... after the horrible pain, the hospital stay, and getting adjusted to having only one hand enough to considered it with any sort of sense of humor.

((So basically.... and I'm surprised at having an opportunity to say this.... do not wield your explosives like melee weapons.))

Edit: ((Didn't respond to Sonder's thing because like I said in the OOC, now that he's been equipped with the ability to do so, calculating terminal velocity for objects he chucking through his portals is now his job. So I'm waiting on finding out how fast it'll be going. Which is good really because I wasn't sure how big a rock he meant anyway.))

Feralgeist
2016-11-21, 08:57 PM
((oh i knew it was a bad idea from the start I remember about our convo where it was explicitly stated he isn't immune to the explosions, this is just an example of him under the influence. Dual-linking Tasha&Laz made him too excited to try new things and greedy for new tricks))

Max flies backwards from the force of the explosion. Reacting quickly, Tasha jumps onto the rock he is headed for and softens his landing. He bounces off of her with a -whumpf- and a plume of blue dust. Max whimpers and coughs wetly.

"Ow. Ow. Owwww!! I take it back! Dumb down all the things!!" He rolls around, holding one of his eyes. Blood seeps between his fingers.

"Fuuuuuuu-LAZ! Get the Oxys!!" As the bird brings over the painkillers Max gobbles down two pills.
After the pain recedes Max retrieves a water bottle from the van and tries to rinse out his eye, hobbling over to the pond to inspect the damage. "No more experimenting for me. My powers are strong enough for now. I think i bruised a rib."

Ramsus
2016-11-22, 02:07 AM
((I'm going to say no permanent injury was done since it'd be weird to not be a thing in the "present". Also because I would have said if I wanted there to be any real injury. Which isn't to say you're not free to add stuff like that. It's great writing wise. Just don't feel obligated to injure your character unless I actually say they certainly were/are going to be. If you guys are injuring yourselves that badly, it'd probably make me feel like I need to up the ante when you get in actual fights and... well that could end poorly. :smallamused:))

Feralgeist
2016-11-22, 04:14 AM
Max daubs at his tender bruised socket, half-blind. As the water rinses away the dirt and blood he sees with his other eye that there is a perfect circle of pebbles lodged in the skin just around where the eyeball sits. Max blinks a couple of times and gets the rest of the blood and dirt of his eye and his vision clears. Well that was close. Hey Laz, can y-Oh. Thanks." Max half-turns to call for the bird but notices Lazarus standing across from him on one of the star pickets, holding out the tweezers from the van. "Good bird." He takes the utensil. Lazarus tilts his head to the side. "all.....right?"
"It's fine, just got grit in it."

"Caw!!! If out...Lazarus."

"Yes mate! shutup about that! I told you its grim to mention!"

Lazarus remains silent and glares at Max. Max opens the link and shuts his eyes, looking through the bird to extract the embedded rock shards.

((Poorly for whom? So long as he isn't in a vegetative state I have a TON of backup plans for a few various injuries.))

Ramsus
2016-11-23, 02:59 PM
To get a good three second time delay from exiting the top portal so as to be able to change it to pointing at the tree ends up requiring Mads to put the two portal over 1000 feet apart. When he does send the rock to the tree it hits the tree with a loud crack and they see some bark fly off. On inspection, the rock is thoroughly lodged in the tree and the rock has broken into several pieces.

Sønderjye
2016-11-23, 05:28 PM
Aperture Science

Mads feels sorta uncomfortable imagining the wet T-shirt contest. It wasn't that he didn't enjoy the visual of the idea but there was something wrong about it that he couldn't put his finger on.

"We still got Lockdown rolling for us", he says encouraging. "So making a portal inside of a small container a far distance away is going to be super hard to hit and will take to use although it could come in handy" he looks thoughtful: "Unless I prematurely set up one portal in the tank and then wait with making the second but that would bare me from using portals for other things"

Terminal Velocity

"Sorry" Mads says sheepishly. Guess he had been holding a bit prejudice against Max due to his.. alternative lifestyle.

"Yeah!" he shouts victoriously as the bang from the tree lowers, until it lowers enough that he can hear Max. "Wow, are you okay? Should we get Nicoleta?" he asks conserned.

Feralgeist
2016-11-23, 06:10 PM
Terminal Velocity
Max finishes extracting the last pebble from his face and opens his eyes, his colour returning to normal. "Nice shot on the tree. It's fine, same thing happened first time me and Tasha went fishing. It's the excitability, the recklessness. Her mood swings are the most sudden to manifest. Like I said the link with Lazarus creeps up on me alot of the time but Tashas' gusto seems to suddenly come and go like a strong wind, if that makes any sense.."
Max grimaces slightly a the mention of going to Nicoleta for help.
"No. Definitely not. Nothing against her, but I probably wouldn't bother her even if my hand was blown off. She creeps me out. Have you seen the way she looks at me? At the beasts?" Max kicks a pebble into the pond. "I'm trying to be a hero Mads, I really am. I'm not that maddened animal who had to survive the wilderness any more. But it seems like all she sees is what we can do, not who we are. Like we're nothing but monsters."
Frustrated, He turns blue and launches a glowing fist at a rusted, burnt out old car sitting abandoned across the meadow.

Not trying anything fancy, just gauging roughly how big an explosion intentionally putting some oomph into it gives me

[roll0]

((Edit: @Ramsus Hey if Max dual-linked the dogs could he use the vibration manipulation to either tweak the noise to an inaudible pitch or shunt the noise of his explosions elsewhere? Like say through a Mads' portal. Would be good for large-scale silent "lock picking"))

Ramsus
2016-11-23, 08:40 PM
Max "punches" a larger than fist-sized hole in the metal frame and there's another loud crack noise, accompanied this time with a metal on metal screech as a long crack grows along the frame for a few feet.

((Given how we wrote that power it looks like it just effects sounds he makes with his body. Heck the way it's written it's just his voice but I'm fine handwaving that as any noise he makes with his body. Having it work at range is a possible improvement he could get later on if you like?))

Sønderjye
2016-11-24, 06:26 AM
Terminal Velocity

Mads looks slightly more relaxed at the reassurance that it wasn't anything serious.

Mads notes the contradiction between "nothing against her" and the following very emotional discription. He can't help but agree though: "Yeah it's sorta creepy. Although she is a religious fanatic so you can't really expect her to be rational. She probably thinks that pegans or hindus are monsters too and I don't think that she'll intentionally harm us."

Space travel!

"I wonder if there's any limitations on where I can make the portals" he says. He then attempts to make a portal somewhere close to the ground and another IN SPACE. He intends to stay far away from the portal as the precision

Ramsus
2016-11-24, 01:35 PM
((Sonder. WHERE in space. This is important. Maybe. Or maybe I'm just trying to get you in the habit of being more specific about where you put portals and I don't really have time to make a post today. I don't need you to tell me the exact distance but space is pretty big. Just outside the atmosphere, somewhere past the moon, at the center of the galaxy, beyond the edge of the perceivable universe... these kinds of details could maybe possibly be important.))

Sønderjye
2016-11-24, 01:49 PM
I'll try to be more precise in the future. I meant just outside of the atmosphere but I'll also try on the other side of the moon, outside the milky way and one outside of the known universe.

Feralgeist
2016-11-24, 03:53 PM
Max paces slightly in front of the pond. "I mean i get it, she has alot to deal with, I heard about how she sleeps. But my powers saved me countless times, and brought me & the beasts closer together. I like her, and am glad she's with us, I just think we will never see eye to eye on some things and I'm a fair hand at patching myself up by now."
Max raises an eyebrow "Where are you making tha-" As he hears the rush of air his eyes widen "TASHA, RUN!!"

<Danger! + Sound of rushing air.>
Max flickers from tashas' link to winbags and begins to whistle. Moving quickly he scuttles to the van and opens the door. Tasha bounds up and he hurriedly throws her in the back and slams the door, frowning at Mads.
"A little warning next time! She's made of dust!"

(("nothing against" as in i don't wanna start an IC drama I'm just pointing out the character incompatibility, Max & Nico are from different worlds and have only 2 things in common (caping and studying a medically related field) Ramsus should know what I'm on about, his character is the one mine doesn't get along with the best in Terminus.

@Ramsus in answer to your earlier question, for a growth option i think it'd be better to eventually be able to do the noise effect in a small radius around himself rather than doing it at a range, would let him smuggle another person when sneaking. ))

Ramsus
2016-11-24, 11:45 PM
The first portal sucks a bunch of air and loose dirt and rocks into it until it closes. Also a tiiiiny bit of Tasha. Mads having positioned himself decently far away feels the pull of the air rushing past him.

The second portal works out much the same, though by this time Tasha is safely inside the van.

The third. Ah yes. The third. What a wonderful idea this was. I'll describe what Max saw first.

By Max's eyes, the portal opened and Mads collapsed and the he experienced a sudden feeling of nausea and disorientation and that whatever the portal was currently connected to was wrong in some existential way, though he couldn't actually see anything before it closed a moment after Mads' collapse.

For Mads' part, he had the most intense migraine he'd ever felt, so bad he thought he was dying. When his vision cleared, he found himself in a very surreal place and feeling very odd as if his body didn't exist. In a very dreamlike way he looked around and despite the location being rather hard to comprehend by what he was seeing he somehow grasped that he was in a place something like being on the inside of the walls of a place... if the insides were also in some metaphysical outside as well. Whatever this place was, it was big and didn't seem to work. In a physical sense that is. Though it was hard to grasp from his perspective in and outside and without light that he could perceive, the location didn't seem to behave the rules a physical location would in the world. Moving around a bit he saw through the other side of a window... or maybe out from inside of it? What he saw on the other side was just a blur. Trying to touch the window it seemed to get violently pushed off somewhere far away and in it's place was more.... wall? But touching the wall revealed some kind of writing or symbols he couldn't make out. There was a sharp pain. Something like a burning sensation combined with a sharp cut and a violent wrenching force. Then he felt nothing at all until he woke up an hour later. At that time he felt a throbbing implacable pain that just seemed to be everywhere but thinking on it he couldn't pin down how he would describe it if he had to put it into words. Despite the pain there wasn't any physical soreness aside from possibly being unconscious in an uncomfortable place. As the pain receded after an hour, the memories of what he saw became more and more vague eventually leaving just a vague impression of the experience.

Feralgeist
2016-11-25, 01:28 AM
Max rushes over to Mads' side and tries to rouse him. "Mads, hey, buddy! Wake up! Are you alright?"

Max quickly checks his pulse and breathing, if there is no response he'll open Mads' eyelids and check to see if his pupils dilate properly.

Ramsus
2016-11-25, 02:09 AM
Having some medical knowledge Max notices that Mads' breathing is steady for the whole event. His pulse is all over the place, varying from completely normal to incredibly slow to incredibly fast. His pupils are fully dilated the whole time. Medically speaking.... this is ****ing weird as ****. Probably not very healthy.

Sønderjye
2016-11-25, 10:37 AM
Pre-blackout

"Sorry", Mads says looking genuinely conserned. He had made the portal far away from all of them but didn't think that the pull would be that strong. After checking in with Tasha he mades sure to make the next portals even further away. "I'm going to test my range a bit here".

Crazy place

Despite his headache Mads can't help but feel both curious and frightened at the same time. He hadn't intended something like this: "What is this place?", he asks out loud, strongly hoping that he wouldn't be answered.

It felt surreal but eventually his curiosity won and he touched the window which in retrospect probably wasn't the best idea.

Waking up

After a long period of stillness Mads suddenly makes a jerk and goes to a sitting position. Overwhelmed with pain his hands protectively seeks the head but when that fails to diminish the discomfort he slowly puts his head back onto the ground and closes his eyes. "What were that place?", he asks himself recalling the experience. A thought strikes him and creates a portal beside hand to his backpack intending to reach for his notebook.

If it works he will take out a pen and write down the symbols and everything he remembers.

Ramsus
2016-11-25, 12:58 PM
There was no reply. That Mads heard.

His portals still work. After the hour if he looks at what he's written down he sees what everyone else sees. To anyone else, if they look at the notebook it doesn't look like writing or symbols or anything comprehensible at all. It mostly looks like he attempted to viciously and thoroughly murder some paper with a pen.