PDA

View Full Version : When Push comes to Shove... Questions about Shoving & Grappling

WereRabbitz
2016-08-03, 08:54 AM
So a few questions I'm hoping the community can clear up.

1. This is part of the Grappler Feat: "Creatures that are one size larger than you don’t automatically
succeed on checks to escape your grapple." I don't see where this is written that creatures 1 size larger automatically succeed on escape rolls?

2. Is shove/grapple mostly for lower to mid level use? I assume it's useless against Huge or larger creatures

3. If a Player cast Enlarge on me to increase my size (Medium --> Large) does this mean I could knock prone a Stone Giant (Huge)?
The same could be said you could Reduce the size of a Dragon Turtle down to Huge Increase my size up to Large & then shove the turtle onto his back? hehe :)
(using a second caster to maintain concentration)

4. If a person wanted to focus on this type of fighting I assume the Grappler Feat & Shield Mastery would be good feats to take, but what about a level dip into Bard or Rogue to get Expertise (Athletics) would that be a good investment? Looks like you could give your self a better chance against martial types with that double proficiency bonus.

Thanks everyone!

When you want to grab a creature or wrestle with it,
you can use the Attack action to make a special melee
attack, a grapple. If you’re able to make multiple attacks
with the Attack action, this attack replaces one of them.
The target of your grapple must be no more than one
size larger than you, and it must be within your reach.
Using at least one free hand, you try to seize the target
by making a grapple check, a Strength (Athletics)
check contested by the target’s Strength (Athletics) or
Dexterity (Acrobatics) check (the target chooses the
ability to use). If you succeed, you subject the target to
the grappled condition (see appendix A). The condition
specifies the things that end it, and you can release the
target whenever you like (no action required).
Escaping a Grapple. A grappled creature can use its
action to escape. To do so, it must succeed on a Strength
(Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check contested by
your Strength (Athletics) check.
Moving a Grappled Creature. When you move, you
can drag or carry the grappled creature with you, but
your speed is halved, unless the creature is two or more
sizes smaller than you.

Using the Attack action, you can make a special melee
attack to shove a creature, either to knock it prone or
push it away from you. If you’re able to make multiple
attacks with the Attack action, this attack replaces
one of them. The target o f your shove must be no more than one
size larger than you, and it must be within your reach.
You make a Strength (Athletics) check contested by the
target’s Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics)
check (the target chooses the ability to use). If you win
the contest, you either knock the target prone or push
it 5 feet away from you.

smcmike
2016-08-03, 09:12 AM
1. The third line of the grappler feat is an acknowledged error, and the feat as a whole is generally useless.

2. Expertise is an obvious choice for grapplers. There are two simple starting builds: Barbarian/Rogue, which gives expertise and advantage at level 2, or Bard, which can give expertise and advantage at level 3, using Bull's Strength.

3. Size manipulation is very useful for grappling bigger targets. A bard can do it himself with magical secrets, but an ally could help either build. Another option is Druid.

MaxWilson
2016-08-03, 09:44 AM
3. If a Player cast Enlarge on me to increase my size (Medium --> Large) does this mean I could knock prone a Stone Giant (Huge)?

Yes... theoretically. But Stone Giants are really, really good at Athletics (they have Expertise for a total of +12 to Athletics) so good luck with that. :) They're more likely to be the ones punting you off the cliff via Push.

Rysto
2016-08-03, 09:59 AM
The same could be said you could Reduce the size of a Dragon Turtle down to Huge Increase my size up to Large & then shove the turtle onto his back? hehe :)
(using a second caster to maintain concentration)

Alternatively, a single Sorcerer could twin Enlarge/Reduce and you wouldn't need two casters to maintain concentration.

JellyPooga
2016-08-03, 10:07 AM
Yes... theoretically. But Stone Giants are really, really good at Athletics (they have Expertise for a total of +12 to Athletics) so good luck with that. :) They're more likely to be the ones punting you off the cliff via Push.

Rogue 1, Str 16 has +7 Athletics w.Advantage when Enlarged. That's more than just fair odds if you also impose Disadvantage on the giant with Reduce. A 3rd level party could technically pull off a stunt like this.

Lore Bard 6 w. Str 18, Expertise and Enlarged is looking at +10 w.Advantage.

A Stone Giant is CR:7. It's by no means out of the realms of possibility to punt that giant off a cliff, even at low levels...