PDA

View Full Version : How to do a blind character...

tahu88810
2007-07-04, 08:13 PM
Ok, I am DMing a campaign that involves 1 PC and 1 DMpc (who does nothing more than help fight, and occasionally heal)

So...beyond that...I'm making a character for the PC to team up with. Said character is:

Elan
Lvl 3 Psion(seer)
Lvl 1 Rogue

I already have everything statted out, feats, skills, etc.
I can only remember two stats:
Int 19
Wis 17

Now...Said character will be blind, that is where problems come up. How do I make a blind character? How does he channel his psionics(or atleast those that aren't used to look into the future), how does he know hes talking to the PC? How will he even sneak attack succesfully? And anything else you can think of I'll probably need help with when it comes to this NPC...
so...
any help?
---

P.S.
And I know I should have given him blindfight instead of a bunch of psionic feats...but its too late for that now, because he has a specific set up that I gave him and stuff...so, eh...

Thanks in advance! :)

Starsinger
2007-07-04, 08:19 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/synesthete.htm

Pay particular attention to that last sentence.

tahu88810
2007-07-04, 08:24 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/synesthete.htm

Pay particular attention to that last sentence.

Thanks, dude :)

Anxe
2007-07-04, 09:16 PM
You could also take the Quick Reconnoiter and Hear the Unseen feats. Hear the Unseen gives you blindsight to 30' if you take a move action and succeed on a listen DC 25 check. Quick reconnoiter makes it a free action.

Of course that's also two whole feats there... A lot for any character.

Quietus
2007-07-05, 01:15 PM
I've got a blind character that I've been playing, and there's a few things you should take into consideration :

First, remember that they take -4 on all dex or str based skills. Kinda annoying, but handleable.

Second, without blind-fight, they lose dex to AC against all opponents, and those opponents get +2 to AC against them, just as though they were invisible.

Blind characters move at 1/2 speed.

They'll never be able to sneak attack, because you can't sneak attack a target with concealment.

That said, Synesthete will correct every single one of these problems.

SpikeFightwicky
2007-07-05, 04:40 PM
Ok, I am DMing a campaign that involves 1 PC and 1 DMpc (who does nothing more than help fight, and occasionally heal)

So...beyond that...I'm making a character for the PC to team up with. Said character is:

Elan
Lvl 3 Psion(seer)
Lvl 1 Rogue

I already have everything statted out, feats, skills, etc.
I can only remember two stats:
Int 19
Wis 17

Now...Said character will be blind, that is where problems come up. How do I make a blind character? How does he channel his psionics(or atleast those that aren't used to look into the future), how does he know hes talking to the PC? How will he even sneak attack succesfully? And anything else you can think of I'll probably need help with when it comes to this NPC...
so...
any help?
---

P.S.
And I know I should have given him blindfight instead of a bunch of psionic feats...but its too late for that now, because he has a specific set up that I gave him and stuff...so, eh...

Thanks in advance! :)

You should also make sure (if you haven't already) that you have a reason why the NPC hasn't just gotten either Remove Blindness (if they still have their eyes) or Regererate (if their eyes were gouged out, etc...). At 150 gp and 910 gp respectively, there should be a valid in game reason for the character to stay blind (unless the NPC doesn't have access to divine magic in the world).

This NPC reminds me of a blind assassin I saw on Angel once that had developed a sort of ESP to notice movement. Definately an interesting concept.

Fax Celestis
2007-07-05, 05:51 PM
Also try the touchsight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/touchsight.htm) power--in conjunction with synesthete if you like.

The Prince of Cats
2007-07-06, 05:13 AM
I cannot believe nobody mentioned Paul Atreides!

Read the first three Dune books. Kind of small plot-give-away in the spoiler, but read the books. They are the Lord of the Rings of Sci-Fi (only easier to read and not as well-written)

The main character is a seer who loses his eyes in an accident toward the end of the second book and 'sees' through precognition. It is not perfect sight, it is just a combination of all the things he sees without his eyes.