PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Aasimar-Tiefling Hybrid [PEACH]

Feuerphoenix
2016-08-03, 04:28 PM
Hey guys,

So recently an idea of combining the two most opposing forces within one race went into my head and stuck there. So here you have it. Please give me feedback what you think about it. :)

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJI9NAJt

Final Hyena
2016-08-04, 06:04 AM
Could use a bit more juice, especially as charisma doesn't mesh too well with intelligence or wisdom.

TundraBuccaneer
2016-08-05, 02:29 AM
Someone had already a similar idea. Maybe this can help you get inspired for your own.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?430062-The-Libran

Feuerphoenix
2016-08-05, 03:20 AM
Could use a bit more juice, especially as charisma doesn't mesh too well with intelligence or wisdom.

Mmh what so you mean with more juice? Charisma is what Aasimar and Tieflings Both get. So for me, zu was pretty obvious whixh stats gets +2

Feuerphoenix
2016-08-05, 03:25 AM
Someone had already a similar idea. Maybe this can help you get inspired for your own.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?430062-The-Libran

Mmh for me, this race does Not really stress beeing a hybrid of two species But rather something completly new. None of their abilities gives a hint to their demonic and/or celestial origin. You could change the story of the Race And let it become it's own Race without a problem. And this is what I do Not like that much.

Final Hyena
2016-08-05, 06:07 AM
Mmh what so you mean with more juice? Charisma is what Aasimar and Tieflings Both get. So for me, zu was pretty obvious whixh stats gets +2

It needs more stuff.
I never said remove the charisma bonus, I said that the stats it does have don't mesh together well - no class overly wants charisma and wisdom/intelligence. As such you should take that into consideration for the value of the racial bonuses.

Feuerphoenix
2016-08-05, 07:46 AM
You get two resistances, a very good spell, and you get darkvision. What Else would you include?

My Problem is, that I am always looking at tiefling an Aasimar on their own, and I have to make sure, what chooseing these Races is still viable...

Final Hyena
2016-08-05, 09:08 AM
You get two resistances, a very good spell, and you get darkvision.

Half Elves get;
two +1s in stats of your choice.
Darkvision
Fey ancestry
Two skills

I know which I would rather pick.

Feuerphoenix
2016-08-05, 10:04 AM
Half Elves get;
two +1s in stats of your choice.
Darkvision
Fey ancestry
Two skills

I know which I would rather pick.

personally, I think Half Elves are way too strong. Comparing any race with half elves implies to buff all races but mountain dwarfs and maybe Aarakocra. But this is not my point. I want a race, that feels hormonal in DnD. The problem is, that if I improve any ability or add a new one, it becomes better than a Tiefling race, by its own. And that is something I want to avoid. Same goes for Aasimar, as they suffer from the same problem. Both are usually no top tier race (although they may become one, depending on the scenario). One ability I was thinking about is, that their Hitpointmaximum can not be reduced, but this may be too strong.

Final Hyena
2016-08-05, 10:19 AM
Tieflings aren't that great, which is likely why I've never seen a PC pick one. Unfortunately the races are not perfectly balanced, which is the game we play with.

One half baked idea I had was a sort of angelic passive buff that could be sacrificed (for a time) to do something a bit more powerful but kinda "evil."

Feuerphoenix
2016-08-05, 10:24 AM
mmh can you give me a more concrete example?

Tio_Carlos
2021-12-09, 01:06 AM
mmh can you give me a more concrete example?

I like it, but I would add a feat or ability like, Detect Good & Evil, or Talk with the dead, or give them the ability to chose from both aasimar and tiefling feat lists, maybe the posibility of combining 2 different traits... I don't know the rules very well, so I don't know how much is posible.

Maybe the ability to use their own blod to bless or curse something..? and imbue their weapons with blood to give them a bonus?

Bjarkmundur
2021-12-09, 07:19 AM
I have a similar thing going on! You could definitely use my Planetouched / Outsider race for something like this! Just add one extra resistance and maybe some more flexibility on the spells chosen:

Planetouched
You never know whose blood and heritage trace back to fiends, celestials, elementals, or worse. You can only hope that they can keep their innate abilities, and urges, in check.
Speed: 30 feet
Languages: Common, 1 other
Planetouched Blood: You gain resistance to any one damage type of your choice.
Choose one:
- Channel the Power: You know one Cantrip from the Wizard's spell list, and you can choose either Int, Wis or Cha as your Spellcasting ability modifier. In addition, you gain a spell at 3rd and 5th level that can each be cast once per day as if cast with a 2nd level spell slot. All three spells must be of the same school.

- Unleash the Power : Starting at 3rd level, you can let loose the restraints that hold back the power within you.

As a Bonus Action, you gain the following benefits for 1 minute.

You gain Flight speed equal to your speed.

You shed bright light in a 30-foot radius and dim light for an additional 30 feet.

You and everyone within 10 feet of you take damage of the same type you are resistant to at the start of your turn, equal to half your level (rounded up).

The first time you hit with a weapon or spell attack on each of your turns, it deals extra damage of the same type. The amount of damage is equal to your level.

You regain the use of this ability at the end of a long rest

BOOM! Aasimar, Tiefling, Genasi and all those good ones wrapped up in one race. At least they'll all be balanced ;)