PDA

View Full Version : Portable Debating purchasing a Nintendo DS- Input and Advice?

Squark
2016-08-03, 05:12 PM
Well, long time no see, everyone. Life and new hobbies have led me elsewhere and limited me to lurking in the Comic response threads, but I've got a couple of questions that seemed perfect for this forum.

So, with pokemon Go everywhere, I've been feeling nostalgiac about Nintendo*. Pokemon Go sort of whet my appetite for Pokemon in general, but since Nintendo keeps a tight hold on their own IPs, I'm not going to be playing a mainstream pokemon game on my computer or the like**. More out of curiosity than anything else, I decided to take a look at the Nintendo DS, and was surprised to find that the 2DS had a pretty reasonable pricetag.

*Which is impressive, since I saw only a handful of the anime's episodes, never played a game of the TCG, and only played nintendo consoles at the houses of Friends and family. The things you absorb via osmosis, I guess.
**Let's not get this thread locked for discussing illegal activities, please?

So, anyway, I've been doing a bit more research, but I thought I'd ask the playgrounders for their answers to a couple of my questions

1) How is the battery life of the 2DS? I've read that it's about 3-5 hours, which isn't too bad, but are there things that will drain the battery faster?

2) Is online play a thing (in general)? I don't know of any friends who play, so that would limit multiplayer quite a bit.

3) How do DS games compare to phone games in terms of depth and complexity? One thing that's bothered me about pokemon go and mobile phone games in general is being forced to use either clutzy touch buttons or simplistic controls that aren't suited for much beyond text based adventures and puzzle games. Will games on the DS be able to give me a more engaging experience?

4) While the classic Pokemon would probably be my first purchase, are there any other games that you'd highly recommend?

veti
2016-08-03, 05:48 PM
So, anyway, I've been doing a bit more research, but I thought I'd ask the playgrounders for their answers to a couple of my questions

1) How is the battery life of the 2DS? I've read that it's about 3-5 hours, which isn't too bad, but are there things that will drain the battery faster?

The battery life of my DSL is more like 8-10 hours, although enabling wi-fi would probably cut that considerably. I don't have any experience of the 2DS.

2) Is online play a thing (in general)? I don't know of any friends who play, so that would limit multiplayer quite a bit.

It certainly was a thing, a couple of years ago. I don't know if the community has survived the recent decline of Nintendo.

3) How do DS games compare to phone games in terms of depth and complexity?

There's no comparison. The top DS games are designed to engross you for several hours at a stretch, and they can do that. I don't know how many games of that calibre there are, but I've played at least a dozen.

4) While the classic Pokemon would probably be my first purchase, are there any other games that you'd highly recommend?

Several Zelda games are available on the DS - they're always worthwhile. Others I remember fondly are 'Final Fantasy Tactics', 'Golden Sun', and the very charming 'Chocobo Tales'.

Also, be clear in your mind on what you mean by 'classic' Pokemon. The first three generations of Pokemon games were released on various editions of the GameBoy, and aren't available for the DS. (A couple of the 2nd-generation games were re-released on the DS platform, but that's an anomaly - most of the early games weren't.) There's no legal way to play them without tracking down some much more antique hardware.

Squark
2016-08-03, 06:34 PM
Also, be clear in your mind on what you mean by 'classic' Pokemon. The first three generations of Pokemon games were released on various editions of the GameBoy, and aren't available for the DS. (A couple of the 2nd-generation games were re-released on the DS platform, but that's an anomaly - most of the early games weren't.) There's no legal way to play them without tracking down some much more antique hardware.
Soulsilver/heartgold and gen 1 would be the two that hold the most appeal to me, and the latter is available on the virtual console, which is what prompted my investigation

DataNinja
2016-08-03, 06:40 PM

I think wireless might drain the battery of the 2DS faster, but that's about it. My brother, who has one, has rarely ran out of power away from a socket, even with a fair bit of use, so you should be fine.

Sadly, I can't help with this.

3) How do DS games compare to phone games in terms of depth and complexity? One thing that's bothered me about pokemon go and mobile phone games in general is being forced to use either clutzy touch buttons or simplistic controls that aren't suited for much beyond text based adventures and puzzle games. Will games on the DS be able to give me a more engaging experience?

I have to agree with veti. The best DS games can suck you in for hours, but they also, being for a handheld, often have ways of allowing you to just take short nibbles at them. I've very rarely run into controls that are too wonky, and the DS touch screen I've found is super precise. The stylus probably doesn't hurt that, though. :smalltongue:

The first one off the top of my head that I recommend is if you can find a copy of "Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story". It's charming, witty, has a marvelous cross between Turn-based and realtime battle systems, and there's enough to do for quite a while. Also, it's built around the bite-sized principal, with frequent save points. I know I've still spent many an hour playing away at it.

Mando Knight
2016-08-03, 06:45 PM
The 2DS is a simplified version of the 3DS. Like the 3DS, it can play all DS games and most* 3DS games, but to reduce the 2DS's price it lacks the clamshell design and the 3D screen (hence why it's called a 2DS).

The game complexity for DS and 3DS games varies, as there are small, cheap (and shallow) games available as well as sprawling RPGs like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, fighting games like Smash Brothers and Street Fighter IV (the 3DS port was one of the system's launch titles and doesn't quite have all the features of the PC and console versions), classic platformers like New Super Mario Brothers, and more.

As for your Pokémon options:
The original Pokémon Red, Blue, and Yellow are available for download on 2DS and 3DS systems for about $10 USD (slightly more than just a first-party emulation, it also uses the system's wireless communication systems as a replacement for the old Game Boy Link and will be able to upload Pokémon for use in the new Pokémon Sun and Moon games coming this November). Yellow is the one you want if you just gotta start with a Pikachu, as it's the special anime tie-in edition (several of the Rocket Grunts are replaced with Jessie and James, even).

The Generation II Pokémon games Gold and Silver were updated to the DS as HeartGold and SoulSilver, and might be found at second-hand game stores.

The Generation III Pokémon games Ruby and Sapphire also got updated, to the (still relatively new) Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire for the 3DS, which retail new for $40 USD.

Generations IV (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum) and V (Black/White 1 & 2) are native to the DS, and like HG/SS can be played on the 2DS and should be available at second-hand stores. Black and White are notable for not including any previous-generation Pokémon until what's essentially the "endgame".

Generation VI (XY) are the first Pokémon games for the 3DS, and should retail for about the same as OR/AS.

Generation VII (Sun/Moon) comes out this November, also for the 3DS.

*There's a "New" 3DS with improved hardware and a control nub on the right side, and a small handful of games require them. Games that require the n3DS's hardware to play will have an extra icon as a disclaimer.

tilionvevfet
2016-08-03, 11:34 PM
I highly recommend "The World Ends with You." The story is quite good, the gameplay is fun, and the concepts are cool. In my opinion, it best utilizes the two screens of the DS.

Sajiri
2016-08-04, 12:06 AM
To be honest, even though I have a 3ds (I got one of the fancy limited edition monster hunter ones), I dont know many people who actually use the 3d function, so 2ds is just fine.

As others have said having wireless on drains the battery life faster, but having volume up also does. If you want to stretch it out even more, plug in some headphones.

Online play really depends on the game you're playing, and how current it is. Things like monster hunter (at least whichever is the most recent game) you'll find plenty of people to join up with online and play. Pokemon 'multiplayer' is much like the classic games with trading and battling, except you can sync up online now without needing to use a special cable/attachment or be in range of someone. Several games have features just for syncing up with people online even though you arent necessarily playing with/against each other (pokemon included).

I've never played games on my phone, I just have some $20 phone for calls and texting so I cant comment there

As for game suggestions, well. The recent pokemon games are great. XY renewed my love of the series. I had a lot of fun with Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates, then of course as I've mentioned it already.. Monster Hunter games. Harvest Moon games are enjoyable to me too but I suppose ultimately it depends on the sort of games you enjoy. I prefer more relaxing games on my 3ds where I can just lay down on a couch and play for a bit, as opposed to something more actionative I'd play on a PC or PS4.

I'll also add on there are certain products out there you can buy to just download games onto for free (although the initial product is quite expensive), depending on how you feel about that.

Squark
2016-08-04, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I picked up my 2ds today along with a copy of Ocarina of Time 3d and enough for Pokemon yellow.

KillingAScarab
2016-08-04, 09:26 PM
Online play really depends on the game you're playing, and how current it is.
Pokemon 'multiplayer' is much like the classic games with trading and battling, except you can sync up online now without needing to use a special cable/attachment or be in range of someone. Several games have features just for syncing up with people online even though you arent necessarily playing with/against each other (pokemon included).I just wanted to emphasize the importance of how current the games are affects multiplayer. The Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service which was used with the Wii and Nintendo DS was discontinued in 2014. Since you were inquiring somewhat about Pokémon, here's a Bulbapedia article (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Nintendo_Wi-Fi_Connection) which has details on which games were affected. The generation six games (X, Y, and the generation three remakes) and the upcoming generation seven games use the Nintendo Network service. (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Nintendo_Network#Games_compatible_with_the_Nintend o_Network) You can still play Nintendo DS Pokémon games from earlier generations on anything in the 3DS line, but to my knowledge you can't do any multiplayer over the Internet.

As for Pokémon first generation on virtual console (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Virtual_Console#Pok.C3.A9mon_Red.2C_Green.2C_Blue. 2C_and_Yellow), it seems you can not only do local wireless play, but potentially port those Pokémon to generation seven when those come out. Interesting, as generation one was filled with glitches and the data structures were fairly different from later games.