PDA

View Full Version : Mother of Monsters IC

Feralgeist
2016-08-03, 06:23 PM
http://i68.tinypic.com/2lwlmjt.png

The courtyard.

Various mud huts have coalesced for shelter, a gift from the Swamp. A brazier burns brightly in the centre of his palm. A featureless mud buddy seeps up from the ground next to the brazier and tends the fire, before collapsing back into the ground. All around, mud creatures wallow and frolic through the swamp in a caricature of nature. 50 ft away the real forest begins. Soft morning light filters through the trees.

OOC thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?496525-Mother-of-Monsters-OOC&p=21068383#post21068383)

redfeline
2016-08-03, 06:58 PM
Ieli lays in her hut uncomfortably. These arms are both wonderful and also annoying, they just don't tuck under my torso right, and having the torso of a halfling is no picnic either, these mammary glands are always swollen, it looks like I just had a litter of kittens! A small liter at that, only able to feed two offspring at a time how are these halflings so common out there. It just doesn't make sense. Oh well at least I have the intelligence to realize it doesn't make sense.

She eyed the spoils of that gnome adventurer sitting in the corner. Intelligent enough to recognize these items for what they were, useful. Ieli raised her front hand and began to lick up and down it. She never seemed to be clean living in this hut.

Feralgeist
2016-08-03, 07:21 PM
the floor cracks, and mud oozes up. a small toadlike mud buddy coalesces. "Ieli. You're awake. You have a problem, little kitten. That gnome had friends, and they are looking for him. They look stronger than he was." It gurgles with a wet chuckle and hops over to the pile, inspecting the armour, which bears a spiked collar motif encircling a sunburst on the tabard. "Just as i thought. They come from the east, the protectorate of Kamus i believe, a mundane nation of slavers and xenophobes. They thought your friend here foolish for exploring the swamp alone...they are the fools, thinking they can waltz where they please with impunity, just because there are more of them. Cleanse me of these interlopers, and i will show you a marvel. They are somewhere near my shoulder, less than 5 minutes away, if you fly fast. " The toad dissolves into a wet puddle which dries and hardens, sealing the crack in the floor.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-08-03, 08:17 PM
Grax

Grax hovered/flew slowly out of his hut. "I'm telling you it happened." His Eidolon shook his head 'negative'. Grax flicked his wrist and a fiendish eagle appeared on the ground beside them with shiny black feathers.

"At least you agree with me right ?" he motions towards the bird. The bird stretched its wings out as it looked for some opponent to attack and looked quizzically at Grax. "...Caw-kliik ki kia?" as if to ask what the hell was going on.

"See!" Grax said. The Eidolon looked unconvinced. The giant bird dissolves into a puff of smoke.

Grax sighed deeply. "Whatever."

Eagle sounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIdZTSKLdBs

Emperor Ing
2016-08-03, 09:21 PM
It took some practice but Scalia was now reasonably confident he had a procedure down. Simply hold it in his second pair of forelegs and bring his head down underneath. Release, then look up. And it fumbled to the ground. More practice is required. This time switching to his third pair, Scalia finds he has more room to maneuver his body and finally put his rugged leather wide-brimmed hat on.

There's gotta be an easier way to do this, thought the centipede as his antennae twitched, hearing voices just outside his own partially frozen hut. Curious, he scuttled outside, his many legs creating small patches of frozen mud on contact.

Eldest
2016-08-03, 09:21 PM
Azula looks up from where she'd been dosing in the sunlight atop one of the huts. Quite a stir you're making. Do we have more of those madmen incoming? She stretches slowly, tail twitching, and stands, scraping a claw on the mud.

The Bandicoot
2016-08-03, 10:44 PM
Little Brother moves through the clay catacombs beneath the swamp, inspecting them as he goes. He does this because he's half curious half worried. If the swamp cannot see what is in the tunnels then it would be easy for someone or something to take up residence in them and mount an attack on his brothers and sisters.

As he travels Big Brother, his badger, trots alongside him sniffing around for any food.

Feralgeist
2016-08-03, 11:36 PM
after spending the evening wandering down the long corridor, twisting and winding along the path, you eventually come to an archway. A heaving mass of gravel and silt lies in the archway. Touching your hand to it you sense you lie near the surface, your tremorsense faintly detecting a group of voices just beyond the threshold.

The ground beside the brazier gurgles and swells upwards, forming a knee high mound of muck. The mound splits at the middle in the shape of a mouth and speaks
"Slavers! Looking for little shardlings to collar I suspect.They are looking for their friend. When they don't find him, which they won't, they'll go back home and bring back more, until this place is thick with them. I sense little brother, He's run off and wandered into them northwest of here. If you hurry there might be a piece of them left by the time you get there. I tire of these intrusions and have bigger things on my mind. Aid little brother, find their city and cut them off at the source. i will reward you greatly."

A distant roar echoes to the south. "Like i said. Attend to this my siblings! I will contact you again once i have dealt with other matters."

The lump collapses back into the boggy surface

The Bandicoot
2016-08-04, 05:58 AM
Little Brother gathers up Big Brother, depositing him into an internal burrow somewhere in his upper chest and glides through the earth, staying just under the surface of the earth. He attempts to move under the group of people, specifically in the middle of the biggest cluster. He sits there and waits, listening. ((he will listen until, by the power of plot, the others arrive))

redfeline
2016-08-04, 08:32 AM
Ieli frowns, she never had time for baths any more. She went and pulled the armor over her torso and put on the armored skirt. She looked a bit comical in the outfit, but the little disgrace was better than dieing. She went outside.

Shall we get going and remove the parasites from our brother?

Eldest
2016-08-04, 08:56 AM
Azula takes wing, flying off towards the intrusion, staying high in the air and circling the camp. We have been staying here. May as well do favors for rent. She wheels about once more, before setting off in the direction of the intrusion, doubling back every once in a while to check to make sure people are following.

GnomesofZurich
2016-08-04, 03:34 PM
Cogitor stirs from meditation in its hut, hearing the disturbances outside. "Although the cerebral augmentations granted by 'Mother' are a boon, the primitive living conditions are a minor inconvenience." Drifting outside in time to see Azula streak off, Cogitor follows in her wake.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-08-04, 03:38 PM
Grax seeing Cogitor fly off, follows along as well. " Something must be up." Grax things to himself.

Emperor Ing
2016-08-04, 05:43 PM
Cccchhht, slavers. Scalia growled as he scuttled along the ground with the rest of the group.

zabbarot
2016-08-04, 10:50 PM
Xochi stood in the mud of the swamp with it's roots sunk deep into the wet soil. It was good. The sun was bright and elemental mud might just be the most fertile soil Xochi had ever tasted. It was a bit lacking in iron though. Maybe a few other things. Still it was good. Xochi only uprooted reluctantly at the swamps command. Protecting the swamp was more important than sunbathing though.

"Come child, we need to catch up." Xochi held out one hand as the horse trotted up. Mounting was more like slithering as hundreds of vines crawled over the top of the infested horse and wrapped around it's spine and ribs. Xochi rocked gently forward and they were running after the rest.

Feralgeist
2016-08-05, 05:46 PM
As you take to the sky the forest stretches out below you, miles and miles of lush greenery in every direction. To the south where the swamp meets the forest you see great plumes of green smoke and flashes of light, puncuated by rumbling and roaring wirh a sound not unlike two storms having a debate, accompanied by lesser yowls and screams and a deep rhythmic thudding. The dark spire of blackfang peak rising to the clouds can just be made out on the horizon, just beyond the smoke. To the north lies forest further than you can see. As you approach the site you can just make out 4 figures standing in a clearing on the edge of the swamp, Surrounded by boulders on the southern side. A pile of pacjs and gear sits against the boulders. 3 of them appear to be discussing something animatedly while the other attempts to light a campfir. A familiar black and white fuzzy little creature emerges from the soil behind them, waddles through tge muck and begins rooting around in the bags. One of the figures sprouts a blade of ash and smoke from his hand, another stands at points in your direction.

As you skitter and Clatter along the clay path, Grax's panther-like eidolon loping alongside, you recognize along your way broken ruins and pieces of various towns half sunk into the bog. Humanoid mud buddies inhabit these shells now, their purposes inscrutable. Some seem to just be wandering around exploring, some are mimicking domestic life, sweeping non-existent yards and throwing pebbles like feed to chickens and pigs made of mud. As you get closer and closer to the meeting place the mud buddies around become fewer and fewer. Just behind a collection of boulders you hear arguing voices, too indistinct to make out. 40ft behind the boulders you see the trees of the forest. Over the commotion you hear "Get your paws off my pack you damned dirty badger!!"

Lurking in the soft peat and boggy soil you stretch out your senses. 3 Medium humanoids stand in a triangle shaped pattern 20ft apart from each other, 1 crouches alone. You hear the end of a conversation

A thin reedy voice says
"Is it here? Lothario said he was looking for the beasts eye."

A soft feminine tone replies
"We need to find the head, where is that?"

A grizzledolder man voice chimes in
"Who even knows, I thought this was the head."

A young male with a high voice pipes up
"This place is alive? yeah right guys, a haaaaunted swaaamp! I know I'm a rookie but I'm not THAT gullible. Check the maps, figure it out, i just want this done with, i bought a big honeycomb before we left town and after that hike I'm dying to eat some" The feet belonging to the young voice walk towards the older voice near the makings of the campfire
"Here, let me help. Flambè!" A fire crackles.

At the mention of its favourite treat, you feel a small nose push its way past you, and the badger digs its way up through the soil. It wanders to the boulders and begins snuffling around. You hear the young voice again. "Get your paws off my pack you damned dirty badger!!! If you've eaten my honey we're gonna have badger stew! "Blade of Cinders!"

The older voice says "I think we have some mixed company, lads."

Through the earth on the edge of your hearing you feel a clatter of hooves accompanied by a familiar crunching skittering

Roll Initiative.

(1st group, you're roughly 80 ft away in the air. 2nd group, you're 60ft away on the ground.)

Emperor Ing
2016-08-05, 09:29 PM
Scalia opted a more cautious approach. If he can avoid attracting too much attention initially, he can strike to do the most damage.

Initiative
[roll0]

Stealth
[roll1]

redfeline
2016-08-06, 07:27 PM
[roll0]

Ieli kept to the far right of her pack.

Feralgeist
2016-08-06, 09:01 PM
Scalia scuttles fowards, nestling between two of the boulders 5 feet away from the badger as the youth with the ash blade stalks foward, blondly concentrating on the furry thief. It goes unnoticed by all around the campsite but Little brother, who senses the vibrations from his position. Scalia sees an older man with an eyepatch and an axe for a hand standing by the fire, on the edge of the clearing next to where the forest begins two gnomes, a man and a woman, with yellow and black streaked hair stand guard with scimitars and hand crossbows at the ready.

Ieli soars slightly northeast, coming at the campsite from over the trees.

she can make out the details of the people in the camp now, and notices that the male of the two gnomes has a very familiar face....

The Bandicoot
2016-08-07, 02:02 AM
Little Brother emerges from the ground behind the man by the fire with a small squelch and wordlessly swings his massive fist down at the man

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
((If I hit he has to make a 17 Fortitude save or become entangled by the mud))

Eldest
2016-08-07, 08:24 AM
Azula screeches her hunting call, diving at the man with the ash blade out. She lashes him with her tail, ending up inches from his face.

Initiate Prince's Attitude: +4 AC against AoO for the round, +2 will/fort (AC 25 against AoO now)
Charge the one threatening the cute badger, ending up in his space.
Acrobatics check to avoid an AoO: [roll0]
Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
If it hits, injury poison DC 15 fort, save 1/m for 10 minutes, failed save is sleeping for a minute, one save cures. (First save is immediate)

I forgot about the charge bonus so on top of that +2 to the attack, -2 to the AC, so AC 23 against AoO, 19 otherwise.

Emperor Ing
2016-08-07, 12:23 PM
Scalia lashes out with his fangs, grabbing at the humanoid that wandered too close to his hiding spot. Not wanting to kill the badger that has likewise wandered too close, he keeps his frigid aura suppressed.

Attack (10 ft reach)
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]
[roll2] Cold damage (bite attack)

On hit, Poison DC 19 or take
[roll3] dex damage, save every 6 rounds.

plus, DC 17 or Paralyzed for
[roll4] rounds.

Free Action: Grab attack
CMB
[roll5]

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-08-07, 05:40 PM
Grax

Grax takes aim with his pint sized crossbow. "Intruders!" he calls out. He moves closer to the action.

Down below his eidolon charges out of the brush at the nearest interloper.

Grax fires at the one with the crossbow I guess - tough to tell who has been engaged in melee from the descriptions above.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Move action : move about 60 feet closer.

Eidolon

AC: 16 (18-2 charge)
HP: 12

Attack: [roll2] (+2 charge -2 power attack)
Damage: [roll3]

GnomesofZurich
2016-08-07, 09:20 PM
Witnessing the fray below, Cogitor concentrates and surrounds itself with a field of protective psychic force.

Spend 1 PP to active Inertial Armour; AC becomes 20 for the next hour.

redfeline
2016-08-07, 11:56 PM
Recognizing the man as familiar Ieli switches to the female as her target Try and keep them alive! They may have information.

Ieli dives into a charging pounce. She does her best not to kill the target.

Non lethal damage.
Format is attack, above crit confirmation, damage, and bleed on the claw attacks.

Bite
[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2]

Claws x4
[roll3] [roll4] [roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7] [roll8] [roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11] [roll12] [roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15] [roll16] [roll17]
[roll18]

Rake x2
[roll19] [roll20]
[roll21]
[roll22] [roll23]
[roll24]

zabbarot
2016-08-09, 09:11 PM
Xochi

Xochi rode just far enough forward to launch a cloud of pollen from one outstretched arm at the nearest gnome. "We will take this one alive."

Ranged touch attack with Pollen Spray: [roll0]
DC 16 Fortitude save or be Entranced* for [roll1] rounds

*"An entranced creature can take no action other than to move at its normal speed into a space within the yellow musk creeper's reach, at which point an entranced creature remains motionless and allows the creeper to insert tendrils into its brain." - PRD (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/bestiary/yellowMuskCreeper.html)

Feralgeist
2016-08-10, 08:19 AM
Little Brothers' fist crashes down into the grizzled soldier with a sickening crunch on his left shoulder. The man grins wildly and chops with his axe, missing with the first blow but hacking off little brothers' fist with the second. As the elemental forms another fist, The original hand grabs the mans face and spreads out, trying to envelop him. He wrenches his damaged arm up and claws the mud from his face.

Scalia lashes out and snaps at the man wielding the ash blade, but he hops back, getting ready to swing his dark blade. The ash surrounding the blade swirls and the black core starts to glow red hot. He rushes forward, too focused on the centipede to see the small dragons tail darting towards his neck. He slumps to the ground unconscious in front of the badger. It gives him what could be called an almost smug look and turns to watch Little brother, contentedly chewing on a pilfered honeycomb.

Ieli crashes into the male gnomes' head with 6 limbs outstretched, pile-driving his head into the soft peat.
He gurgles softly, unconscious.

The female gnome take a bolt to the shoulder from the tiny construct, and strains her eyes to see him, caught unawares by a dark shape leaping from amongst some half-sunken trees to bite her on the shoulder. She yells in pain and reels back, shooting the panther-like creature and slashing upwards to strike it in the left shoulder. It yowls in pain and dissipates in a puff of magic.

As Xochis' horse rushes forward and his pollen streams forth, the female slaver notices his approach and dodges back, covering her mouth with the back of one sleeve.

Xochi's tendrils twitch, and it gets the strange feeling it is being watched.

Little brother, you take 9 slashing damage.

Grax, your eidolon takes 8 slashing damage and 5 fire damage.

The Bandicoot
2016-08-10, 02:21 PM
Little Brother goes completely still and with a loud roar brings his fist down again. Afterwards he moves backwards, keeping the man in range but moving out if the man's range.

Engage rage
Attack [roll0]
If hit, target must make a 19 Fortitude save or become entangled
Damage [roll1]
Taking a 5ft step back

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-08-10, 04:08 PM
Grax

Grax concentrates for a moment. His eidolon reforms and he sighs deeply as he is visibly weakened. An eagle appears on the opposite side of the woman and begins attacking. Grax smiles evilly. "ow"

Grax will use the "life-link" class ability and absorb most of the damage the eidolon incurred. Grax will take 10 hps worth of the damage on himself to leave the eidolon at 8/12 hps.

Grax:

AC: 22
HP: 8/17 (was reduced to 7 hps, gained one hp due to "fast healing 1" )

Full round action: Use summon monster I (racial ability not the class ability) to create a Fiendish eagle in a flanking position. The duration is 2 rounds.

Eidolon

AC: 16
HP: 8/12

Attack (bite): [roll0] (-2 power attack, +2 flanking)
Damage: [roll]1d6+4[roll]

Attack (claw 1): [roll1] (-2 power attack, +2 flanking)

Attack (claw 2): [roll2] (-2 power attack, +2 flanking)

Fiendish Eagle:

AC 14
Hp: 5 (with 5 points of fire/cold resistance)

Attack (talon 1): [roll3] (+2 flanking)
Damage: [roll4]

Attack (talon 2): [roll5] (+2 flanking)
Damage: [roll6]

Attack (bite): [roll7] (+2 flanking)
Damage: [roll8]

Emperor Ing
2016-08-10, 09:01 PM
Scalia silently thanks Azula for the assist, as he didn't believe he would do well to receive a hit from that sword.

He then sees one of the slavers still conscious. One that looked female, though the anatomy of these so-called humanoids was noticeably bizarre. He rushed towards the female, antanne twitching and mandibles open wide and dripping with icy venom. As he lashes out, Scalia scuttles back slightly, keeping a fair distance between himself and any retaliation.

Attack
[roll0]

Damage
[roll1]
[roll2] cold damage

On hit, Poison DC 19 or take
[roll3] dex damage, save every 6 rounds.

plus, DC 17 or Paralyzed for
[roll4] rounds.

Free Action: Grab attack (grapple)
CMB
[roll5]

Free Action: 5 ft step backwards

Feralgeist
2016-08-10, 11:06 PM
As scalias mandibles sink into the slavers' midsection grax's eidolon latches onto her legs while a hellish looking bird swoops in and grabs the head. They all pull backwards and the gnome is torn asunder into three separate sections.

Little brothers fist once again crashes into the older man, enlarging just before impact and covering the soldier with a thick muck from the chest down. A fist shaped dent is left in the mans tarnished breastplate and he spits out a bloodied gobbet. His eyes flicker in a glance around the battlefield to his fallen companions and he grimaces, removing a potion from a bandolier. He swigs the potion and his form becomes insubstantial and vaporous. He begins to drift back towards the forest.

redfeline
2016-08-11, 12:50 AM
Well that is a very neat bauble. Do you think we can get such drinks?

Emperor Ing
2016-08-11, 01:40 AM
Chhht, he's getting away! Scalia impotently chitters to the fleeing humanoid, knowing that they'll be back and in bigger force. ...and is probably leading us to where more of them can be found.

Eldest
2016-08-11, 12:02 PM
Azula ignores the escaping human, rummaging through the one she defeated's pack and emerging with jerked meat. She tears off a piece and wolf's it down, with a telepathic happy sigh.

GnomesofZurich
2016-08-11, 03:28 PM
Cogitor sees the fleeing human, and fires a magic missile at him.

[roll0] damage

Feralgeist
2016-08-11, 04:54 PM
The bolt of energy hits the vaporous soldier, blasting him into corporeality and out of consciousness.

Brother badger, finished with his meal, happily trots over to Little brother and places its forelegs on his leg, the time honoured signal of "pick me up"

Congrats, you all dominated your wildly inappropriately rated enemies. Let us celebrate. Perception rolls all around!:smallbiggrin:

and 1300 XP apiece.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-08-11, 05:14 PM
Grax

"Good job everyone. Hopefully big brother will be pleased." He sends out via his message spell. He waves at his eidolon to do a circular patrol to ensure its safe.

If the perception check is to loot the bodies, Grax will take 20, otherwise:

Perception:
[roll0]

Grax will also cast 'detect magic' and look for anything of value in the short range.

OOC: Grax will need to renew his message spell every 20 minutes or so if he wants to be able to communicate to other players.

GnomesofZurich
2016-08-11, 05:52 PM
Well done, other sentients Cogitor will likewise scan the area for magic, and then focuses its attention on the survivor(s?). Show me your thoughts!

Perception [roll0]. Cogitor scans the area with its constantly active Detect Magic, and then uses Detect Thoughts on the man it blasted with the magic missile (and any other survivors), to try to determine why they were in the swamp.

Eldest
2016-08-11, 05:52 PM
This one may wake up again, soon, my poison is fast to act but over quickly. She indicates the one she felled with her tail, carefully poking him a few more times with her stinger. Now he should be out for longer.

In game terms, I want to give him, oh, 7 more doses of the sleep poison. So for each one, DC 15 fort or the primary poison gets it's DC raised by 2 and it's duration raised by half. So if each one hits, the DC is now 29 for the poison he's currently under and the duration is going to be 45 minutes. Still only one save for a cure, and one save a minute! (The idea is to do with without more hit point damage. She's picky about only killing what she wants to eat, when given the choice)

Emperor Ing
2016-08-11, 07:14 PM
Nice shot. Scalia compliments Cogitor as he sees the human re-corporate, and fall to the ground. He scuttles on after him, and drags his unconscious body back to the camp. All the while his antennae twitch wildly, alert of Scalia's surroundings.

Perception
[roll0]

The Bandicoot
2016-08-11, 07:27 PM
Little Brother picks up Brother badger and deposits him in a small concave area at the top of his head. Hope the honey was worth it. He turns around and starts picking through the camp.

Perception: [roll0]

EDIT:I forgot about my new ranks in Perception so its +7 not +2 and a 13 not an 8.

redfeline
2016-08-12, 02:53 PM
Ieli sits on her hinds quarters and takes a deep breath through her nose. [roll0] (Checking with scent mostly)

I suppose to the victor goes the spoils. She looks at the knocked out victims. We also must decide what to do with the still living vermin.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-08-12, 03:41 PM
Grax

"Well we should take it back with us, secure it, question it and then dispose of it." Grax suggested as if the prisoner was a 'thing'.

Emperor Ing
2016-08-13, 01:59 PM
Now now. Scalia corrected Grax. If they are willing to accept the Mother's Greatest Harmony, they can have a place, too.

zabbarot
2016-08-13, 09:22 PM
"I have a place for them if they are not." Xochi eyed the creatures head. It was small but probably fertile enough.

posting from phone.

Eldest
2016-08-15, 11:34 AM
If we're done posturing, we have questions to ask, and a possible raid to organize. We can figure out what happens to the luckless bandits after. She tosses the last piece of meat up in the air and snaps it up, then looks between Scalia and Xochi, waiting to see if they have objections.

GnomesofZurich
2016-08-15, 03:24 PM
Cogitor telepathically communicates with the group, Your questions may not be necessary, I can see their thoughts.

Feralgeist
2016-08-16, 03:56 AM
On the gnomes there is a feather token (whip) on the male, tanglefoot bags (2) in a pouch on the female. 2 sets of small masterwork studded leather, 6 bolas,2 masterwork small scimitars, 2 masterwork hand crossbows, 2 climber's kits, drow poison (2 doses), 2 set of manacles.

On the youth is found alchemist’s fire (3), elixir of hiding, wand of bear’s endurance (5 charges), masterwork chainmail, masterwork handaxe, a heavy cloak and an unholy symbol

As Azula pricks the young man a few more times his breating becomes laboured and he starts foaming at the mouth. His breathing slows, and stops.

A scream echoes from behind the treeline.

As Cogitor floats down it detects 5 magical auras. 4 are amongst the bodies,consisting of 1 evocation, 1 abjuration 1 illusion and 1 transmutation auras. 1 is off beyond the treeline 50ft from the campfire, a divination aura. It also detects 4 minds. One is the unconscious gnome, having a nightmare of being devoured by an Octopus Lion. two more are beyond the treeline, 50ft away from the campfire behind the treeline. They seem to be more slavers, losing a fight against something else. Their thoughts are fragmented and panicked, but you manage to catch a thought of a glimpse of a small green figure brachiating through the trees before one of the minds is silenced. The last thought was of a spear of bone rushing at them. The other mind runs beyond your field of effect. The final mind is the formerly gaseous older man. you catch the thought "That's right, gather round you freaks. If i can't catch you I'll cook the whole lot of you!!"

GnomesofZurich
2016-08-16, 04:35 AM
Cogitor thinks to itself, "Many things going on here, but no time to tary. The old man is a threat!". To the group, Quickly, gather what you want, and then head toward the treeline. There are more slavers here, but it appears other Shardborn are dealing with them. The old man is planning an attack, but I will try to neutralize him.

Cogitor concentrates, trying to send the old man into a deep sleep.

Cogitor will use Slumber (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-powers/s/slumber), spending 2 power points to effect up to 5 HD. Save DC is 23.

Feralgeist
2016-08-16, 05:46 AM
The man goes comatose. When searched he has a masterwork chain shirt, masterwork buckler, masterwork battleaxe, dagger, +1 composite longbow (+3 Str) with 40 arrows, cold iron arrows (10), alchemical silver arrows (10)4 gp and a Necklace of fireballs with one ball left. (10d6)

The leaves of the canopy rustle in a northeast direction, as if a troop of monkeys or some other tree dwelling beasts are on the move.

Anyone who rolled higher than a 15 on their perception hears multiple rhythmic clicks and knocks in the direction of the rustling. The noise has a pattern to it, almost like a language

The Bandicoot
2016-08-16, 05:53 AM
Little Brother moves over the old man, picking up the bow, arrows, and necklace as he does so. I get to squish him when you're finished poking around his brain. He says matter-of-factly and pointing at the old man. He fully absorbs Brother Badger, depositing him in his usual burrow and as he moves in the direction Cogitor mentioned he draws the bow and pulls back an arrow.

Feralgeist
2016-08-16, 06:17 AM
Approaching the area your tremorsense detects a body on the ground. Coming up to avoid the tangle of roots you see an elven slaver on the ground, his lower abdomen splayed open. Bloodied feet and handprints trail from the ruinous remains to a nearby tree and up the trunk. Nailed to another tree is a a young human woman dressed in fighting leathers, pincushioned by 7 crude spears of bone wrapped with living vines. A sigil is drawn in blood on one of the trees, it's the same symbol as the one on Xochi's breastplate and shield, but with crudely drawn vines surrounding it. On closer inspection all damage done to the slavers is from the neck down, their heads are perfectly untouched and no limbs are missing.

redfeline
2016-08-16, 06:41 AM
[roll0] Ieli scans in all directions looking for clues.

Feralgeist
2016-08-16, 07:15 AM
Ieli finds a faint trail of blood leading up a tree and heading off to the northeast with the same smell as the two fallen slavers. It is faint, almost overwhelmed by another smell, pungent and dank, that leads in the same direction. Sniffing about and looking at the fallen slavers she smells the dank aroma coming from their wounds. Inspecting closer she finds traces of a dark grey fungus growing inside the hollowed out innards. A thunderous roar echoes far to the south followed by a clap so deafening the forest canopy shakes. A few branches break loose, letting through some shafts of sunlight. As the rays touch the fungus it crumbles to dust and is blown away on the wind.

From the south there is nothing but silence now.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-08-17, 02:01 PM
Grax

"I wonder what caused that." Grax asked referring to the downed tree limbs to the south. "Unless anyone has other ideas, we should probably report back and collect our reward. I think we have accomplished what we were sent here to do. "

I'm slightly unclear with what is happening. The slaver group we attack was split in two and under attack by some other swamp creatures in the area or do we think they were two separate groups ?

Emperor Ing
2016-08-17, 02:16 PM
This didn't seem to be the only group. Seems like a lot of trouble to go to to find one lost slaver. Scalia noted as he began to scavenge many of the items off the bodies. But the swamp also asked that we find their city. Such a large number of slavers must surely have left behind tracks that I can follow.

We should bring them back for now, make sure they are secure. Interrogate them. Force them to understand the error of their ways and give them a chance to join the Greatest Harmlny. Then set out to locate their city.

redfeline
2016-08-17, 03:56 PM
Agreed, besides I don't like what I am smelling here. Ieli gazes off into the distance. We should move quickly, I feel exposed here.

GnomesofZurich
2016-08-18, 04:45 PM
Cogitor floats near the others. Yes, let's take these captives back to extract information from them.

Eldest
2016-08-18, 10:09 PM
Azula takes flight as well. I will go and fly over the other fight, to see if anything out of the ordinary is happening, and then will rejoin you at the huts if all is well?

For speeding this along purposes, she has a perception bonus of +18, blindsense 60 feet, and is planning on flying over from a very high distance first, then getting closer if something's not clear. She'll bug out at the first sign of danger and wouldn't go lower than 60 feet off the ground.

Feralgeist
2016-08-18, 10:39 PM
Azula does a wide sweep of the area in the direction of the commotion. 120 ft northeast you blindsense (but can't see normally) small plantlike humanoids brachiating through the trees. Four of them are following a fifth, which has on its back a double bladed scythe, looked to be fashioned out of a repurposed pair of legs and greaves. two of the following creatures are covered in blood and gore, and are carrying a few rib bones and vertebrae each. On the breeze you detect the pungent tang of mold, coming most prominently from the scythe wielder. The figures click, thump and tap on trees in a rhymtic manner as they go. They seem to be communicating. The one in the lead stops, and c()cks its head to one side, listening intently It lets out a rapid series of complicated knocks on a tree with its weapon, then it and the 2 blood covered creatures keep going. The other two head back in the direction of the campsite.

The rest of you manacle the unconscious slavers, and start to head back.

To the south the ground shifts and squelches, The swamp gathering into itself at the middle. The centre swells, hollowing at the middle like a volcano. The crater at the top angles to the east, and lets loose with a sound like a frost giant with Irritable bowels. An almighty shriek fills the air and a gargantuan winged lizard shape is hurled through the sky, far to the east. It spirals out of control streaming green fog and lands with a distant -whump- accompanied by a small mushroom cloud of dust (small because its a fair distance.)

A light rain begins falling from the fog cloud, smoking where it hits. Judging as best you all can from a distance, it looks like it covers the southern third of the swamp.

The Bandicoot
2016-08-19, 08:42 PM
That is.....concerning Little Brother says as he moves, looking briefly at the sky before turning his attention back to the prisoners. Xochi, what is the symbol on your shield? What does it stand for? What does it mean?

redfeline
2016-08-20, 10:06 AM
Did cousin Dragon just get tossed across the swamp? I am really not liking today. Now back home so I can clean my fur and take a nap.

zabbarot
2016-08-21, 02:03 PM
Xochi looked at the shield almost as if seeing it for the first time. It had carried it all this time without thinking about it. Now Xochi could feel something in it though. A memory of the knight who had once carried it. Xochi could see him lost in the swamp, Sir Yoseph Castillo of the Yellow Rose. It was morbidly ironic now that he had been consumed by a yellow flower.

"It is the Yellow Rose. They are... were, perhaps, knights who protected farmsteads to the west of here."

If Cogitor is reading Xochi's mind he can probably see this memory as Xochi does.

I think technically Xochi is immune because he's a plant, but it'd be easier to communicate if we pretend he isn't :P

Feralgeist
2016-08-21, 06:06 PM
As Xochi frondles his shield and remembers the past it and little brother both sense two creatures lurking on the edge of the trees.

two small humanoid plants crouching in the branches of a tree. They each have a spear of bone and hooded cowls made out of an unknown substance with a strange spiraling pattern. Their bodies appear to be made of intertwining vines and their cowls seem to be growing out of them. The spiral patterns extend down their arms to their wrists. A clicking and thumping comes from the trees for a moment then ceases.

The unconscious slavers both rise in their manacles and begin speaking in common in synchronized monotone voices, the words coming out sluggish and forced.

"Yellloww..........Why can't you hear us.....? yellow? ...... Come home....we need you... Old man Gallow has destroyed......everything...the thornies.....the tribe.....the grove.....all gone....Your birth-brother needs you yellow...you've been with the meatlings so long....don't you remember us....?"

Azula loses track of the other two creatures when they scurry into a thick briar patch 260 ft to the northeast.

Emperor Ing
2016-08-21, 08:03 PM
Scalia raises his head in surprise at their words. Something was definitely wrong here. Who are you? He asked plainly while looking around for a source of what could be manipulating them.

Perception
[roll0]

Feralgeist
2016-08-21, 08:12 PM
You think you catch a glimpse of something bone white in one of the trees like a couple of green hooded skeletal figures before the breeze blows again, the leaves all shift and the figures are lost to your sight. You can discern two different plantlike scents coming from one of the trees. One is dank and pungent, the other is subtle and almost sweet, a smell like pure springwater laced with a few drops of green apple juice.
40 ft past the tree in question, Little brother is listening to the old man speak.
Azula can smell the same twin smells going into the briar patch 190 ft northeast of little brother

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2016-08-22, 05:04 AM
"This day is getting weirder and weirder" Grax sends to his companions through his message spell.

OOC: Not sure he has anything to contribute right since he likely isn't aware of most of what is happening at this moment.

zabbarot
2016-08-22, 10:14 AM
Xochi looks to Little Brother then back to the slavers. "Well, I doubt they mean you." None of it sounded familiar though, and Xochi had not even considered the possibility of having family. "Who is Old Man Gallows? I think I have to go, Little Brother."

GnomesofZurich
2016-08-22, 03:54 PM
Cogitor speaks telepathically to the group, There are two vegetation-based humanoids over there. It's a little hard to follow - I understand the words they are saying, but not the context. They do not seem hostile, and it appears they are the ones controlling the unconscious slavers. Most curious.

Eldest
2016-08-23, 08:11 PM
Azula flies back, landing on Cognitor. I noticed them as well. Do we know if they are hostile?

Sorry about no posts for a bit, I thought we were going to meet up back at the village. Back now.

Emperor Ing
2016-08-23, 09:34 PM
They are your people, aren't they? Scalia asked, looking at Xochi. Go to them, see what they want. We can take it from here. Just...ask them to try not to kill these people, we need them alive.

I saw some of those watching us from that tree. He nudges his head towards the eponymous tree.

Feralgeist
2016-08-23, 11:10 PM
Ieli alights on a tree near the creatures. Her nostrils flare wide and her eyes flash with an eerie light for a moment. She speaks in wanderspeech. "I do not like this, no..... They smell of death. Azula, Cogitor, don't touch them or you'll catch something." She stretches her wings and yawns widely. "I'm going to the human city, to take a look around. Maybe i can find where those ones are coming from. I'll find a way to send word, Mother will provide." She gestures to the bodies around. Scampering down the tree she takes a sniff from 10 ft away of the bone spear sticking out of the elf body. She gives a small shudder. "Definitely do not touch. Farewell, brethren!" She runs at the top of the tree and jumps, and soaring up above the trees to the east flapping hard to get a good altitude then gliding off of the thermal updrafts, lazily being flung into the heavens.

Down on the ground there is a quiet clicking and thumping exchange from the tree. After Ielis' departure two creatures hop down from the branches of the tree with a soft thud. The possessed old man and gnome say "We don't understand the way you speak to each other. We are coming out to talk. We mean no harm." The creatures click to each other, and one starts forward into the light.

The humanoid creatures stand as tall as a goblin, but entirely made of vines. The vines are bone white and leached of all colour, save the parts spattered in blood and covered in dirt and small tendrils of a grey black mold that grows from the elbows, waists and heads. On top of their heads is a deep green mold that grows in a strange spiraling pattern over their necks and shoulders and hangs over their faces like a hood. Even as you watch it spreads, the green spirals digging down like roots into the white vines. They each hold a shiv made from a rib bone. One of the creatures moves out of the shade of the tree into the light and immediately bursts into flames. The other creature falls back, thumping its chest in a horrified gesture. It edges closer to its companion, careful to avoid the light.
The flaming pygmy falls down and the green mold on its head explodes with growth, covering the entire creature in a thick blanket and smothering the flames. The creature lies still. Under the tree the other one bangs its fists on the ground, chittering in frustration.
"Please help him! I don't know what happened!" The one eyed old man shouts.

The gnome near the campfire come out of his daze and looks around wildly. "what the hell is going on?!?" He takes in the foamy mouthed body of the youth and the half-sunken remains of the gnomess and vomits to one side.

The Bandicoot
2016-08-24, 05:47 AM
Little Brother looks troubled Are they brothers and sisters? Or do they just live amongst us? Little Brother looks around and then sinks slightly into the ground, trying to tap into the elemental he spawned from. Brother, who or what are they? Do we help them?

GnomesofZurich
2016-08-24, 04:48 PM
Hmm...best to preserve them, at least until we know what they are, and their significance.

Cogitor concentrates for a moment, and telekinetically pushes the creature back into the shade. Perhaps that will help, he seemed to react to the light.

Cogitor uses its Telekinesis ability to push the creature out of the light.

zabbarot
2016-08-24, 06:08 PM
Xochi looks up to Cogitor appreciatively. "Thank you. I think I must have lived among them before I awoke." something stirs in Xochi's mind as he listens to the rhythmic thumping of the vegepygmies. It was familiar. Instinctively Xochi began drumming back to them.

<vegepygmy>What has Old Man Gallows done to you? Is this strange mold a plague?</vegepygmy>

Feralgeist
2016-08-24, 06:42 PM
As Little brother asks the question, sinuous thin tentacles of mud snake out from the swamp and reach out to the fallen pygmy, carefully slithering through the spiral gaps in the mold blanket.

"HM..."

some of the tentacles of mud start bubbling, releasing clicks while others tap and thump on the ground. The horrified pygmy seems to calm slightly.

A wet chuckle gurgles from the ground near LB. "veggie men! I haven't seen these around the island since brother flower joined us. I thought them all dead. They look a bit more pale than usual. You watch them little one, they are so much more entertaining than the meatlings. They make fantastic music too. Hm.....how do i know that....? hmmmm."

"I will take this one and make him whole. They are not shardborn, they are much more fragile than us. Something is wrong with them. I need to find out what. hmmmm."

A bit more clicking and thumping, then the uninjured pygmy nods.
a hollow like a frogs mouth opens up in the swamp and the tentacles withdraw lightning fast, dragging the creature inside. The tunnel collapses with a wet squelch.
The pygmy stands and clicks, then thumps its chest. the old man says.
"that was reckless, you don't even know that thing!" The pygmy chitters. the old man replies "it doesn't matter now, here they come."

Two more Vegepygmies leap out from the underbrush. They are also bone white, but the green hoods on them extend to spiral patterned green cloaks, shielding them from the light. Their hoods are snug against their heads like ninja cowls.

The one on the left raises a hand, and the old man falls insensate once more. The one with a scythe on its back reaches up to its throat where a white crystal dangles on a leather thong. A voice comes from the crystal.

"I am RedThorn. We are the whitevine clan. I'm so glad we finally found you. These belong to you, I have brought them from the chief as a token to show we are genuine." He picks up the scythe and disconnects it at the middle, then folds up the blades. It looks like a regular pair of knights greaves with legbones sticking out. The patterns on the armor match Xochi's.

Redthorn bows to Cogitor. "Thankyou for saving our saplings. It was my haste that put them in danger. I am in your debt. If you ever have need, you may ask one favour of me."

It speaks in vegepygmy to Xochi "Come with us, you must speak to the chief. He's the only one who knows you and is still alive. We've all been raised on the stories, but it's true. You're just as beautiful as they say. We will guard you with our lives until you see the chief, Sunlight Dancer." The two ninja looking pygmies kneel and after a second, so does the young one. Redthorn says in common through the crystal "Fear not our sisters. They protect us from the burning eye. I wouldn't let some of your friends get too close though." RedThorn gestures to the green mold covering himself and his companion

The gnome wipes his mouth and scoots closer to grax, trying to get his attention.
"psst! hey! you look semi normal. get me outta here and I'll give you SO much riches. Im the son of a famous jeweler, i can get you a ruby as big as your head!"

The Bandicoot
2016-08-24, 10:59 PM
Little Brother sinks fully into the ground and moves over to the gnome before suddenly poking his head up inches fromhis face and staring wordlessly at him.

Feralgeist
2016-08-24, 11:21 PM
His face pales but he laughs weakly. "Y-you think I'm scared of you, freak!? We have our own shardborn and when he finds out about this you'll all hang!! Ahahahhah!! Gallow and his brood will come here and suck this wretched swamp dry." He laughs again, this time with a feverish pitch. he starts coughing slightly. Redthorns' companion raises a hand and approaches the gnome. His eyes glaze over. Redthorn says "Ask what you want, they will cooperate. Be quick though, for when you are done we must wipe their minds. They've seen us and that is dangerous."

Emperor Ing
2016-08-25, 12:40 AM
Tell us more about Gallow. Scalia picks up on an interesting remark.

Feralgeist
2016-08-25, 12:48 AM
"Gallow is what happens to slaves who are too slow, too weak or too old. Gallow is what happens to criminals. Gallow keeps the roads safe and the mines productive. If you do not obey, you will hang, and then you will obey anyway. Once you hang you belong to the tree. He dwells in an orchard on the Outskirts of the protectorate, and all of our forests are his hunting ground. He used to be a regular Gallow's tree outside some old monastery ruins until she came. Now he is so much more and his groves enforce our laws." The gnome explains in a monotone voice.

zabbarot
2016-08-25, 09:22 PM
Xochi looked to his shardborn family, "I think this 'Gallows' is using the slavers to hunt other shardborn. I am going to go with these vegepygmies to meet with their chief. Hopefully I can learn some more about him from them. If any of you would like to join me, you are welcome to." Xochi nudged its horse forwards towards the vegepygmies and began drumming out a response with several thick vines on its shield. <vegepygmy>Thank you for this. I didn't remember where they had gone. I will go with you to meet your chieftain.</vegepygmy>

GnomesofZurich
2016-08-26, 06:57 PM
Floating near Xochi, Cogitor sends telepathically I will go with you. I am curious to learn more of these vegepygmies and the 'Gallows'.

Emperor Ing
2016-08-26, 07:13 PM
I will stay here, see if I can't find any more information.

How many more of you slavers are there? Scalia asked. As much as it disturbed him that another one of those Blessed by The Mother associate with slavers, he knew that it was ultimately up to those to do with the Gift what they will, but such naked disregard for The Mother's compassion sickened Scalia.

Feralgeist
2016-08-27, 05:21 AM
The gnome responds in a flat voice "Our army numbers in the thousands and the groves only bolster that number. Gallow roams everywhere there is green. Blackfangs' minions keep him at bay from the south for now, or at least they did until this swamp appeared. The environment far north is poor for his kind. I don't know how many zombies are under his command. He doesn't sow nearly as many trees on the west side of the forest, nobody knew why until now."

"I knew." says the old man. "All of us who were there swore an oath of silence*, we knew what Gallow could do for us and it succeeded. Look at our society, Nobody is preyed on as long as they follow the rules, which is much better than how it was. And no dragonspawn has dared to harm our citizens since the groves appeared. Nobody born within the last ten years has seen a vegepygmy, we thought gallow wiped them all out."

<and nobody else ever will see one, not until it's too late.>
Redthorn darts forward and lifts his left hand. The green spirals of mold flow down his arm and from his outstretched hand, forming fingers of green that reach out to close the space and grab the mans face. His silent companion nearer the gnome reaches out with his left hand and with his right, strokes the green mold on his shoulder in a comforting manner. two small pods shoot out from the mold gathered near its hand and hit the gnome on the shoulder. His eyes go blank and he slumps over, drooling. When the green hand on RedThorn retracts the one eyed man is likewise comatose. Redthorn straightens and looks at you all with sunken yellow eyes deep within his green mask.

< You all must be the shardborn the Protectorate is looking for. Gallow will stop at nothing to get your shards. His appetite for cruelty is legendary and he lusts for shards above all else. I've even overheard a rumour that he bested a harvester when the maelstrom last came here. the chief knows alot more about gallow. They have a history that is before my time, which isn't my place to tell. I'm sorry i couldn't wait but the risk of discovery is too great and there are too few of us now. We must depart as soon as we can, let me know when you are ready.>

"HMMM......I have finished. Changes were necessary, huhuhuuŕrrrlblbble" The swamp says with a wet chuckle.

A toadlike mouth of mud opens up in the swamp again and a creature steps forward, . It stands as tall as a dwarf on two legs but is as slender as a skeleton. The entire pygmy is covered and concealed by a segmented exoskeleton of hardened clay covered in runes. Between the segments thick mud can be seen. In his sharp claws the remade pygmy holds a small clay basket on a chain. The basket contains a clump of green mold.
"Wwwe have been.....separated. She was taking too much so she could save me." It rasps out in a gravelly voice from some runes on a faceplate shaped like a mouth-grill on a regular helm. "Sssssister, I am so sorry. She is all alone now. We nnnneed a host."

*And failed a will save vs exposition
Cogitor when he talks about it in his thoughts you see a bandit clan sacrificing their victims to a gallow tree outside an old ruined monastery covered in vines with yellow flowers. You see thoughts of vegepygmies dragging bandits into the ruins. You see the gallow tree post maelstrom, ripping itself from the earth and thundering forward, its roots splitting into huge legs. It is speaking to the bandit chief, who shoves a royally dressed figure at the tree , which snatches him up and begins and heading over the hill in the direction of the vegepygmy lair. You see another memory of the bandit chief, this time dressed in royal attire, Surrounded by slaves and courtiers in the open courtyard of a castle. The tree in the background has bodies hanging from it.

The Bandicoot
2016-08-27, 06:13 PM
Gallows is.....shardborn? Little Brother says, finally speaking up. Some.....undead.....plant......shardborn. He becomes completely still and stares off into the distance for a short while. It has to die. If it is hunting others like us the only way we will be able to live is if it does not.

GnomesofZurich
2016-08-28, 05:04 AM
I'm going to start using the masculine pronouns to refer to Cogitor, because it gets awkward using 'it' all the time.

Cogitor takes a moment to think to himself, "Being involved in these events is so much more complicated than simply observing them!". He then shares what he sees with his companions, This 'Gallows' appears to have taken on an almost treant-like form, and is allied with the bandit chieftain, who is in conflict with these vegepygmies. They will be highly motivated to capture any of us to extract our shards. We must exercise great caution.

Feralgeist
2016-08-28, 09:00 AM
Redthorns' silent companion shivers slightly making its vines click together rapidly. "Not a Chieftain, not for a long time. He is king now, and his former gang members are the new aristocracy. With Gallow they have remade a small peaceful kingdom into a meatgrinder that will swallow the island."

Your detect thoughts catches a distressed psychic call coming from the mold in the basket.

GnomesofZurich
2016-08-29, 05:36 AM
Cogitor broadcasts Your mold in the basket seems to be in some distress. Do you know why that would be?

He carries on with targeted communication to just his companions Be cautious of the of the vegepygmies, specifically the mold upon them and in the basket. It is 'Mindslaver mold', and may try to take over your minds.

Feralgeist
2016-08-29, 07:38 AM
The runes on the clay-covered pygmy light up as it rasps "She is dying of thirst. She nnnnneeds a hhhost. The humans are poison...we are too far from home. I have no more to give..." It bows its clay carapace-like helm in sorrow.

zabbarot
2016-08-31, 07:51 AM
"Does it need a plant host?" Xochi urged it's horse forward. "It may bond with my child for now. It is still young and it's mind is not fully formed. Perhaps it may benefit from the experience." Xochi had horse-child kneel forward so the vegepymy could easily reach up to place the mold on its head.

Feralgeist
2016-08-31, 06:01 PM
The clay-clad pygmy skitters forward on its spindly new legs. "Thhhankyou." It holds the basket up and a green hand reaches out from the basket. It grabs hold of the horses head and crawls up the side of its face, depositing itself on the back of the horses neck and spreading out like a green mane, spiral like tendrils wrapping around and digging into the vines that pervade the skeletal equine. It shudders once contact is made, the slumps down onto the beast, content to feed. The clay pygmy bows its head and the hand holding the basket clenches, shattering the clay. "Ssssorry......this is difficult for me. I am all alone now."
The horses' teeth begin to clack together and it stomps its hooves rhythmically in the patterns of vegepygmy language.
"For this mercy I am forever your humble servant. My name is Aiyana. I pray i make myself useful oh verdant one. Please tell stump that i don't blame him...
He must be feeling devastated. We are both only a day old and i never got time to teach him the rules . I have the awful feeling he no longer hears our song.."

A fat toad of mud forms on the ground and hops over to the saddened clay figure.
"Ha ha ha. We are kin now, little veggie man! You will never be alone again! But you are also no longer of the forest. You may come and go as you like and do as you please but remember little vegetable, you are mine now, body and soul. What i make i may break just as easily. Defy my will but once and you will wish i left you to burn. Accompany your companions back to the rest of the veggies, When your enchantments activate bring me what i want. Do well and i may even give you your freedom. Hahahahhhhrrrrbleblblblgggll...." The voice fades as the toad loses cohesion and breaks apart with a wet squelch.

Clay pygmy clenches its fists again and a small sigil flares to life on the side of his temple. "Yes.....Master..." He reaches out to stroke the writhing green mane on the horse, the rune flares again, brighter this time and his hand returns to it's side. "Not......of the Ffffforest....." he rasps sadly. The small glow fades.

The horse takes [roll0] and will take 1d4 every day the mindslaver is attached as it feeds on the sap and body fluids.

GnomesofZurich
2016-09-02, 05:29 AM
Witnessing the interactions between Xochi and the mold, Cogitor sends a directed communication to Azula, This parasitic mold Xochi has befriended makes me uncomfortable. I will watch it with care. Continuing to the group, Well, are we to set off on this expedition to learn more about the vegepygmies and the Gallows?

Eldest
2016-09-06, 12:16 AM
Azula tilts her head quizzically, sending back to Cognitor. I do hope the hijacking of the mold was our swamp, and not some other madness. Been truely aware of things for 2 weeks, and already I could do with a nap. She then responds to the group. Which first, the vegetables or the trees? What I wouldn't give for meat.

zabbarot
2016-09-06, 11:06 AM
Xochi watches the clay bowl shatter on the ground and looks to Stump. "Do not worry. If there is anything we have plenty of it is clay. Aiyana says it is not your fault. You are both too young. If it is any consolation the swamp is much kinder than it lets on. Now, please lead us to your village."

Xochi gave the vegepygmies a moment to set out before urging horse-child forward into a trot after them. It drumming out a message to Aiyana as they moved, <vp>What is the nature of your bond? Have you usurped control of my child's body?</vp>

Feralgeist
2016-09-06, 05:52 PM
Redthorn raises an arm and a green hand of mold extends up to a tree branch, latching on and pulling him up. He makes his way through the trees while the other two lope along in front of Xochi. Stump click-clacks forward in his armour behind.

The green mane on the horse writhes slightly, wrapping a few tendrils around the horses mouth and its teeth clack in a response "I can only move these unimportant parts when the host is not preoccupied and the joints are slack. I physically move it, I can only control humanoids with magic, plantkind is immune, as are elementals, monsters and the undead. I won't harm your sapling, I have surrounded the root cluster and will protect it from harm till it is ready for the change.."

Emperor Ing
2016-09-08, 01:06 AM
What was once a single task has now become far, far more complicated. Scalia noted to Cogitor. Or did he complain? Both pertain to plants, one of which abuses the Mother's blessing. While such connection could be purely tangential, it is something to note. The Gallows can wait. We should investigate these...vegepygmies, they are called...?

Eldest
2016-09-10, 10:22 AM
Onward we go then.

Feralgeist
2016-09-15, 12:49 AM
Your motley group heads in a north westerly direction. As you get further to the west the trees grow sparser and further apart, giving you a clearer view. The light heads towards the horizon and onward you travel. As the afternoon approaches you see the green cloud from before has been slowly gaining on your direction, gathering in size and drawing in all other clouds around it. The nimbus looks dark and angry, rising up in a thunderhead. It looks like it will rain before evening. A sulphuric smell wafts on the breeze. You are standing (or flying above) a field of poppies nearby a road in the forest. Further down the road there is smoke rising above the trees in multiple small ribbons, like that of many small fires. The road leads west. To the north a small hillock covered in strange bumps lies squat and moderately unimposing. To the southwest you hear the rushing of a nearby river.

GnomesofZurich
2016-09-15, 04:48 AM
Cogitor gazes thoughtfully at the green cloud, trying to discern whether it is a natural phenomenon or not.

Knowledge (Nature) [roll0]

Feralgeist
2016-09-15, 06:28 AM
It is certainly no natural storm brewing, a dragons' acid would just dissipate. You deduce there must be some sort of spell feeding the storm

Eldest
2016-09-17, 07:05 PM
I don't like the look of that. Do you think it will act as a storm, or a fog? Look for shelter, or simply avoid it?

GnomesofZurich
2016-09-18, 06:47 PM
We all best seek shelter. Those of us who can fly might be able to avoid it, but for the others I fear that would prove difficult.

zabbarot
2016-09-20, 09:45 AM
Xochi calls out to their vege-guides, "Are we near your village? Will we be able to take shelter there?"

Feralgeist
2016-09-20, 05:06 PM
Redthorn shakes his head. <We are but halfway there. Down that road lies a fort occupied by the Broken Noose clan, a tribe of Orcs. They are not our allies, but they hate the Gallows as much as we do. Perhaps we could beg for succour. >
He points to the small hill. <There is an old underground barrow there we could hide in, but who knows what has taken residence there.>
He gestures down to the southwest. <Sometimes there are caves near rivers, but we haven't been down that way, i couldn't tell you for certain we'd find shelter there.>

GnomesofZurich
2016-09-20, 05:50 PM
The barrow sounds promising. Could someone stealthy scout it out for us?

Eldest
2016-09-21, 11:37 AM
I will look. Azula flies forward, almost vanishing into the darkening sky.

[roll0] Stealth!
[roll1]Perception!
I actually have no points in stealth I am just a tiny dexterous creature. :smalltongue:

Feralgeist
2016-09-21, 06:14 PM
Azula flits towards the barrow and spots an archway that leads inside on the eastern side of the hill. She almost flies through but stops when she spots at the last second the dimly coruscating runes flowing up and down the archway. It is written in Draconic.
Various skulls, spines and bits of creatures have been nailed into the gaps in the stones by wooden stakes engraved with "boyle"

Here lies huntsmaster boyle. Bestow upon him a trophy or be marked for the hunt.

Eldest
2016-09-21, 09:14 PM
Azula quietly clucks in annoyance and flies back to the group, checking the storm progress on the way. There is a hunter who lives there, who writes in Dragonic. He wants a trophy as tribute, or we are the hunted instead. Or that's what his sign says, I never saw him.

GnomesofZurich
2016-09-25, 07:26 AM
Well, that does not sound promising. Shall we search for a cave near the river, or approach the Orc clan?

zabbarot
2016-09-26, 06:05 AM
"The caves may not even exist. I vote we speak with the orcs. I'd rather deal with the living than the dead."

Feralgeist
2016-10-01, 07:13 PM
The party starts to head down the dirt path. It winds along for a fair distance, the terrain underfoot starting to rise up into foothills. Nestled between two of them 3000 ft from your current position lays a wooden fort, squatly constructed and bristling with wooden stakes. On the path leading to the gate kneels an elderly Orcish male, his muscles having long shrunk but retaining a wiry ropiness to them. He is bare chested, clad in simple woolen leggings, a curved sword on the ground beside him. His eyes are closed and his chest rises and falls slowly.

Redthorn and the other pygmies stalk into the tall grass and hide, fading in amongst the greenery.

Stump click-clacks alongside the party, head down.

The Bandicoot
2016-10-02, 06:27 PM
Little Brother stays quiet as they move, preferring to stay mostly underground as they travel, only his head poking out.

GnomesofZurich
2016-10-05, 03:51 PM
Floating towards the orc settlement, Cogitor poses the question, Who should speak for the group with the orcs? Do any of you have prior experience with them?

Eldest
2016-10-05, 04:01 PM
Azula shakes her head, an expression she's been experimenting with. She chirps at Cogitor, whose head she was currently riding on, sprawled in the sunlight before the storm.