PDA

View Full Version : 5e Final Fantasy Table Top

R.Shackleford
2016-08-03, 07:23 PM
If there was a Final Fantasy Table Top game, which final fantasy game would you like to see used with the 5e core rules?

Ouranos
2016-08-03, 09:17 PM
Tactics is probably my favorite, and offers the best adaptability in my opinion.

R.Shackleford
2016-08-03, 09:31 PM
Tactics is probably my favorite, and offers the best adaptability in my opinion.

I've thought about this one, it is one of my favorites, I'm just not sure if I would be all that different from what D&D currently is.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-08-03, 09:33 PM
I've thought about this one, it is one of my favorites, I'm just not sure if I would be all that different from what D&D currently is.
If you're using the 5e core rules, how different will anything be?

R.Shackleford
2016-08-03, 09:36 PM
If you're using the 5e core rules, how different will anything be?

Core mechanics. Bounded accuracy. The simplicity of it.

Outside of that, many Final Fantasy games are quite different in "class"/character set up.

Friv
2016-08-03, 10:33 PM
Setting-wise, I would go for the Ivalice Alliance, hands-down.

It provides a broad swathe of history to play in, with a lot of major events happening that aren't critically tied to the game PCs, and built-in periods with both adventurers and mercenaries operating at a high level, plus the ability to scale how much you're going low-fantasy and how much you're going high fantasy.

The mechanics won't need as big an adaptation, but you also get a few cool races that you don't get if you stick entirely to the first FFTactics game (baanga, nu mou, moogles, etc.)

Klorox
2016-08-03, 11:40 PM
Another vote for Tactics.

LMK how you adapt the Calculator. Haha.

MrFahrenheit
2016-08-04, 08:34 AM
While 6 is my favorite...would have to vote for either 4 or 5 to keep in line with the straight-up fantasy motif.

DragonSorcererX
2016-08-04, 09:07 AM
The first one (that should be called "D&D Monsteru Manuaru - The Gamu", if you play that game with a monster manual of 3.5 or older on your lap, you will find 99% of the monsters that are in the game), it is the game who gave life to the term "Murderhobo".

Grey Watcher
2016-08-04, 09:54 AM
Considering that I've heard the original Final Fantasy described as "essentially an unlicensed D&D video game", it would seem that, at least the first 5 games are just "basic D&D in their own setting". (6 onwards starts veering off of High Fantasy and into Science Fantasy, so varying amounts of houseruling and homebrew becomes necessary.)

That said, especially for III, V, and Tactics, a customized system that incorporates the Job system would be pretty sweet. (Whether or not you want to use Final Fantasy's penchant for ridiculously large numbers of HP is another matter.)

Terra = Sorcerer (Draconic (Red)), with feats or Fighter dip to get weapon/armor proficiencies or (Favored Soul)
Locke = Rogue (Thief)
Edgar = Fighter (Champion), with homebrewed stats for the Tools or Matt Mercer's (Gunslinger)
Sabin = Monk (Four Elements)
Celes = Fighter (Eldritch Knight), no real way that I know of to emulate Runic, though
Shadow = Rogue (Assassin)
Cyan = Fighter (Champion) or (Battle Master)
Gau = Druid (Moon), yes Gau imitates, rather than transforms into other creatures, but that's what refluffing is for
Setzer = ???
Mog = Bard (Lore) or Druid (Land)
Strago = Wizard (Evocation), no real way to emulate Blue Magic
Relm = Wizard (Illusion)
Umaro = Barbarian (Berserker)
Gogo = No 5e class really fits, though Bard (Lore) comes vaguely close. What we really need is a 5e Factotum....

Knaight
2016-08-04, 12:52 PM
FF5 or Tactics seem like the obvious options, selecting for the sheer breadth of classes. With that said:

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles.

Yes, it was originally a classless, level-less game. Advancement is entirely through finding new equipment and discovering new artifacts, with duplicates worth essentially nothing. There are certain fairly drastic changes that would have to be made. On the other hand, that gives you a lot more room for more interpretive stuff, and it also has the potential to produce a game that uses the same core mechanics but actually ends up majorly different to D&D.

Grey Watcher
2016-08-04, 03:05 PM
FF5 or Tactics seem like the obvious options, selecting for the sheer breadth of classes. With that said:

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles.

Yes, it was originally a classless, level-less game. Advancement is entirely through finding new equipment and discovering new artifacts, with duplicates worth essentially nothing. There are certain fairly drastic changes that would have to be made. On the other hand, that gives you a lot more room for more interpretive stuff, and it also has the potential to produce a game that uses the same core mechanics but actually ends up majorly different to D&D.
As an aside, I haven't played Crystal Chronicles, but based on your description, it sounds like a tabletop game derived from it would also work well for a tabletop Legend of Zelda game. :smallsmile:

Knaight
2016-08-04, 03:27 PM
As an aside, I haven't played Crystal Chronicles, but based on your description, it sounds like a tabletop game derived from it would also work well for a tabletop Legend of Zelda game. :smallsmile:

The items tend to mostly be of the stat boosting variety, so you'd need to heavily modify it. With that said: You could at least steal the framework.

I'd also strongly recommend Crystal Chronicles - it's an excellent game in a number of ways, and absolutely worth playing, even if you generally dislike Final Fantasy. Just avoid the nominal sequel like the plague.

IShouldntBehere
2016-08-04, 03:31 PM
I'm not sure any are particularly doable without major Overhauls outside of the original Fantasy Fantasy. #1 was really the only Humans/Elves/Dwarves, pseudo-medieval setting FF. As early as 2 you were in settings where the only "PC" race was human, and you had giant air-battleships hauling around. It only diverged more and more as the series went on.

3 or 5 might be sort of doable. All the others are just too alien to D&D to get a faithful recreation without a total tear down and rebuild of the system.

#1 does really work quite well, since it was basically just D&D game with the serial numbers filed off.

Klorox
2016-08-04, 03:44 PM
I'm not sure any are particularly doable without major Overhauls outside of the original Fantasy Fantasy. #1 was really the only Humans/Elves/Dwarves, pseudo-medieval setting FF. As early as 2 you were in settings where the only "PC" race was human, and you had giant air-battleships hauling around. It only diverged more and more as the series went on.

3 or 5 might be sort of doable. All the others are just too alien to D&D to get a faithful recreation without a total tear down and rebuild of the system.

#1 does really work quite well, since it was basically just D&D game with the serial numbers filed off.

I disagree. While FF1 was the closest to the PHB D&D, any of the games (at least any I've played; which is to say 1-7 & Tactics) can be adapted with a source book.

I've played many campaigns with airships. Heck, we all probably found this message board because of OotS, and they're on an airship right now!

R.Shackleford
2016-08-04, 04:26 PM

At work right now but as a small, quick, note...

Spelljammer is a D&D setting you might want to look into. BESM is a 3.5 source book that was awesome.

If spell jammer works then anything can work.

Knaight
2016-08-04, 04:32 PM
At work right now but as a small, quick, note...

Spelljammer is a D&D setting you might want to look into. BESM is a 3.5 source book that was awesome.

If spell jammer works then anything can work.

There are major overhauls involved though. I don't see that as a problem - my understanding of this project is that you probably would be making new classes, making new races, and just keeping the mechanical core - but from the perspective of getting a FF game with only extremely minor tweaking, FF1 is just about it. Also BESM isn't a 3.5 source book, it's an entirely separate game which happens to have among its versions a d20 version.

Vknight
2016-08-04, 04:36 PM
Why not Anima Beyond Fantasy its really great and very Final Fantasy in design.

Waffle_Iron
2016-08-04, 05:46 PM
Shadow from FF6 had a three level dip in Beastmaster ranger for 2 weapon fighting and training Interceptor.

pwykersotz
2016-08-04, 06:02 PM
Shadow from FF6 had a three level dip in Beastmaster ranger for 2 weapon fighting and training Interceptor.

Oh jeez...now I'm imagining Interceptor as a BM companion...he's WAY too high of a CR for that list. Definitely DM special allowance. :smallsmile:

Cybren
2016-08-04, 07:20 PM
1) I would check out the returners final fantasy rpg, http://www.ffrpg.net/ I'm not a huge fan of it, but could have ideas (I admit I haven't checked it out I like five years though so it might be better)
2) if I were making a final fantasy hack of 5e I'd probably decide if I want to go for a loose adaptation of concepts or a more complete overhaul

Loose: there are four base classes, warrior, priest, wizard, thief, and then each has subclasses like knight, barbarian, samurai, dragoon for the warrior. You can switch out your subclass as long as you have the right phlebotinum (a crystal, probably)

Overhaul: class level is completely removed from character level. all the classes are 10 levels, and have different abilities. You can gain class levels pretty quickly but character levels don't advance so fast. I'd look at the FFTactics job tree for most inspiration.

I'd also do rules for objects that can teach you spells (like in 6 or 9) and ones that give you spells as you have them equipped.

Magic definitely uses spell points, and for most spells one of the "at higher level" options is to increase their aoe

R.Shackleford
2016-08-04, 10:43 PM
Some thoughts... I just got done with a 15 hour shift so bare with me.

I pretty much love every Final Fantasy game I've played... Well, except for Mystic Quest and FF X-2 (plot and characters not X-2's mechanics is what I hate). Which is why I'm personally having issues with picking a game to base this off from. I actually like Crystal Bearers, FF + Gravity Jedi abilities is awesome (short game but had the absolute best opening intro to a game ever).

Spell Points (MP or Slots): I think the spell points work great but also the warlock style casting.

Blue Magic: I prefer the Quistis (items teach you magic/you transform items into magic) or Quina (I eat you) approach to Blue Magic. I think either could work well in 5e's system (instead of turn undead you get "eat enemy" of a certain CR or lower...).

EDIT

I've started putting together the bones of the game.

What from 5e I will use

Ability Score caps at 20
Saving throw DC equation
Actions
Bonus Actions (though in a slightly different way)
Armor Class
Advantage and Disadvantage
Slightly Modified Skill system (the DC's will be explained differently)

What will be really different

Armor Class, Physical Save, and Mental Save will be the defenses.

Ability Scores are a fluff thing. Your "ability scores" will be the 6 base classes and then you can take features that relate to them. Some classes relate to more than one.

You gain general features (actions) and job features (bonus actions) that modify your general features.

World and fluff

I'm still unsure of which way to go :)

I'm going to read through the responses again and then try to tailor what I have to fit more toward that game. Right now it feels more like a general RPG and not very Final Fantasy. I think I need more crystals. :p

Bruno Carvalho
2016-08-08, 12:49 PM
If there was a Final Fantasy Table Top game, which final fantasy game would you like to see used with the 5e core rules?

Well, there are Final Fantasy TRPGs (there's a link to one in my sig) but if you're to convert a FF game to 5e, I'd love to see FF VI :D.

R.Shackleford
2016-08-08, 01:04 PM
Well, there are Final Fantasy TRPGs (there's a link to one in my sig) but if you're to convert a FF game to 5e, I'd love to see FF VI :D.

I'm leaning on a world that is a mixture of Tactics and VI actually.

VI magi-tech but based the game around a single kingdom/two kingdoms like in Tactics (or FF 12).

Also, my signature has the start of the job system I'm working with.

I added the homebrewery link to the main post of that thread, forgot to update that lol.

Sabeta
2016-08-08, 02:08 PM
Crystal Chronicles would honestly be a good fit. The game doesn't have classes, just races and wrapons, so you can easily port in whatever class system you want. The story is also magical enough to be interesting, as well as simple enough to be conveyed briefly.

Basically, you're a part of a Crystal Caravan. The world is full of Miasma, and every major city is protected from the Miasma by a Crystal, however the crystals energy fades with time. Your job is to brave the Miasma, collect three drops of Crystal Water, and return within a year in order to keep the village alive.

Along the way you'll unravel a mystery explaining the source of the Miasma, other Caravans, and perhaps even visit the remains of cities who failed, ad a somber reminder of what's at stake.

The only downside to these games however, is the Chalice Mechanic. You had to carry the Chalice around and could only fight within its circle of influence. I would trade that for Crystal Pendants that function the same, but are much lighter. It's still important to have a heavy Chalice however, as otherwise the crystal water loses its luster before you can return home.

R.Shackleford
2016-08-08, 02:14 PM
Crystal Chronicles would honestly be a good fit. The game doesn't have classes, just races and wrapons, so you can easily port in whatever class system you want. The story is also magical enough to be interesting, as well as simple enough to be conveyed briefly.

Basically, you're a part of a Crystal Caravan. The world is full of Miasma, and every major city is protected from the Miasma by a Crystal, however the crystals energy fades with time. Your job is to brave the Miasma, collect three drops of Crystal Water, and return within a year in order to keep the village alive.

Along the way you'll unravel a mystery explaining the source of the Miasma, other Caravans, and perhaps even visit the remains of cities who failed, ad a somber reminder of what's at stake.

The only downside to these games however, is the Chalice Mechanic. You had to carry the Chalice around and could only fight within its circle of influence. I would trade that for Crystal Pendants that function the same, but are much lighter. It's still important to have a heavy Chalice however, as otherwise the crystal water loses its luster before you can return home.

Oh trust me, I know Crystal Chronicals and love it. :smallbiggrin:

I actually think the sequel Crystal Bearers had the best opening to any game ever.

I thought about doing a equipment based system in the past. I may take that project up again as a 5e FF CC evebtually. :)

The chalice would make for a great side quest/adventure tho, for any game.

Friv
2016-08-09, 08:51 AM
I expect Blue Mage would be a pretty easy Wizard subclass, where you learn spells by defeating enemies who are magical rather than searching for scrolls and scribing them. Once you know the spells, the rest of the Wizard class pretty much has you covered, and you can use your other subclass abilities for cool blue-mage style tricks.

R.Shackleford
2016-08-09, 09:01 AM
I expect Blue Mage would be a pretty easy Wizard subclass, where you learn spells by defeating enemies who are magical rather than searching for scrolls and scribing them. Once you know the spells, the rest of the Wizard class pretty much has you covered, and you can use your other subclass abilities for cool blue-mage style tricks.

I'm going with a Quina approach to blue magic :smallbiggrin:

Blue Mage will be a Beserker 3, Black Mage 2 Subjob that allows your PC to eat enemies.

Edit

This means it runs off your Beserker modifier instead of the black Mage modifier.

krunchyfrogg
2016-08-24, 03:00 PM
I want to play in FF6. That game is so wicked. Probably the best crpg (jrpg?) ever.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-08-24, 03:06 PM
I want to play in FF6. That game is so wicked. Probably the best crpg (jrpg?) ever.

Are you questioning if FF6 is a JRPG?

:smallconfused:

krunchyfrogg
2016-08-24, 06:01 PM
Are you questioning if FF6 is a JRPG?

:smallconfused:

no. i'm questioning the use of the terms crpg vs jrpg.

R.Shackleford
2016-08-24, 06:38 PM

Never heard the term crpg before but it is definately a jrpg.

Knaight
2016-08-25, 09:57 AM

CRPG is computer RPG, it's jargon that mostly gets used in places where people want to distinguish between those and tabletop RPGs. Final Fantasy fits in both categories, The Witcher would be a CRPG but not a JRPG, Ryuutama would be a JRPG but not a CRPG technically speaking - it's not really a useful term in this context though.

Hollysword
2016-08-25, 10:23 AM
I've actually been trying a few times to convert FFXI into D&D (well, 3.5. I need to think about 5e now). XI is the FIRST MMORPG Final Fantasy, if anyone doesn't remember.

But I'd also vote for a FFT conversion. Viera all the way.

R.Shackleford
2016-08-25, 10:32 AM
I've actually been trying a few times to convert FFXI into D&D (well, 3.5. I need to think about 5e now). XI is the FIRST MMORPG Final Fantasy, if anyone doesn't remember.

But I'd also vote for a FFT conversion. Viera all the way.

What I have so far could work in most FF settings. What I'll do with races is make different groups of races (some simular between groups) and allow DMS to pick which game their races will model.

Some games won't have Moogles while others will, for example. However some games the moggles are short and fat primarily and others they are quite athletics.

FF 9 Moogles won't be as athletic as others but they can save you on tents. (For example).

Edit

I'm not a fan of MMORPGS so I can't garuntee anything from them unless it was part of another game.

Oh!

I'm going to make Materia a magic item but not exactly sure how to implement it just yet.

clash
2016-08-25, 11:52 AM
If you find it useful at all, I have a summoner class for 5th ed based off of FFX. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?496687-DND-5e-Final-Fantasy-style-summoner&p=21073741#post21073741

R.Shackleford
2016-08-25, 10:18 PM
If you find it useful at all, I have a summoner class for 5th ed based off of FFX. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?496687-DND-5e-Final-Fantasy-style-summoner&p=21073741#post21073741

I'll take a look but if it's set up like 5e classes then I'm not sure if it will be compatible with how I'm making my 5e Hack.

Basically all Job features are bonus actions that typically consume MP.

You use them with your general features (things everyone can do... weapon attack, cast a spell action (from implements), dash, dodge, skill, and others like this.

Herobizkit
2016-08-26, 04:31 AM
#Realtalk, I've always believed that (a cleaned-up) 4e would make the most logical choice for a FF Tactics game.

But if I wanted a setting to be replicated for 5e, I'd have to go with FF 7, or maybe 10.

FF 7 is set in a Modern age which is already a welcome breath of fresh air to me. Slap on some Materia/Rune Magic (since practically every 5e class can use magic anyhow) and go to town.

Logosloki
2016-08-26, 07:16 AM
What would be suitable and easier: Tactics or Tactics Advance

What I want. X-2, XI, and XIV.

X-2 especially since I want to see how players and DMs would handle Dress-spheres.

R.Shackleford
2016-08-26, 07:32 AM
What would be suitable and easier: Tactics or Tactics Advance

What I want. X-2, XI, and XIV.

X-2 especially since I want to see how players and DMs would handle Dress-spheres.

Really, X-2 will work in my system. Just call the jobs dress sphereshirt and fluff them up.

Each player could have a garment grid where they can place their jobs. Each garnet grid gives you passive or active bonuses.

Instead of having one character sheet, you would have 6 that are all leveled up the same way but shows you in different dress spheres.

So at level 1, if you choose Warrior, you may take Krakenblade as your job feature.

You would have a Warrior, Thief, Beserker, Black Mage, White Mage, and Green Mage version of your class (each can use specific weapons and implements and has their own passive ability) but you only have one job feature (krakenblade: weapon dmg = water).

Tho ppl may start off with more than one job ability.

Klorox
2016-08-26, 04:34 PM
If you convert Tactics, please leave the zodiac signs out of it.

For such an amazing game, that's one of the stupidest mechanics I've ever seen.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-08-26, 05:36 PM
If you convert Tactics, please leave the zodiac signs out of it.

For such an amazing game, that's one of the stupidest mechanics I've ever seen.

The zodiacs (tactics, FF 12, and other games) are part of a pretty interesting lore. ]

Do you know why the zodiac stuff is there?

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Ivalice

Also, R, I have an idea for your skill system you might like... :D

RumoCrytuf
2016-08-26, 05:50 PM

I would honestly love to see FF9 adapted. Steampunk fantasy-ness with black mages. THAT would be something to see. Second choice? XII/tactics by far. Gotta love XII's moogles. Not to mention incorporating Mark boards and just.. EVERYTHING!

Klorox
2016-08-26, 06:01 PM
The zodiacs (tactics, FF 12, and other games) are part of a pretty interesting lore. ]

Do you know why the zodiac stuff is there?

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Ivalice

Also, R, I have an idea for your skill system you might like... :D

Thank you for the link, I skimmed over it, and I'll read it soon.

I just think the mechanic is annoying in-game. JMO. :)

Klorox
2016-08-27, 12:45 AM
Ok I read the link.

I understand the zodiacs play a bit in the lore and story of the FF games in Ivalice.

I don't understand how that affects how, me being a Capricorn means I'll do more damage to you, a Gemini, then another opponent.

R.Shackleford
2016-08-27, 06:15 AM
Ok I read the link.

I understand the zodiacs play a bit in the lore and story of the FF games in Ivalice.

I don't understand how that affects how, me being a Capricorn means I'll do more damage to you, a Gemini, then another opponent.

The big thing about FF 12 (and Ivalice as a whole) is that it talks about how the Occuria have long been meddling with man. It also talks about how the Occuria created the Esper/Lucavi (which represent the zodiacs in tactics.

Just like how each esper relates to a zodiac so does each human in tactics because of the influence by the Occuria. You deal more damage or have other features because you was born in a certain month and Occuria wanted to leave their mark on man in different ways.

Also it shows why Lucavi can possess humans so easily. It isn't the darkness in man that allows for it but the influence of the Occuria that the Lucavi (Espers) can grab ahold of.

I actually thought at first you meant referencing to the zodiac brave story and all the Occuria and Lucavi stuff... But no, one zodiac sign won't have specific bonuses against another.

Though I may make some passive features or magic items that require certain zodiac signs or have different effects based on your sign.

I could base SOME things (passive features, some magic items) off the player's b-day and essentially set it up where the player is the Occuria without really telling the player until later... have features based on the player like... player's hair color, zodiac sign, height, favorite color, and even how many FF games they played.

Just to drive home the concept of these weird God things haha.

Viladin454
2016-10-09, 09:38 AM
>.>

<.<

Not 5E, but my system is based off Pathfinder. I'm sure it could be adapted to 5E though.

Joezar
2016-10-10, 06:17 AM
My own campaign setting I'm DMing right now has some influences from FF9. I grew up with FF and I think FF9 was my favorite. Many of the FF games have some interesting ideas and concepts to rip off for campaigns, imo.

I don't think I'd ever run a 5e game in a FF setting, though.

SillyPopeNachos
2016-10-11, 05:46 AM
1, 4, and 5 have great pure fantasy flavors, while 6, 9, and 12 mix it with technology much like Eberron. 7, 8, and 10 are high tech.